Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acquired & Old Technology, How come we never use any to solve issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acquired & Old Technology, How come we never use any to solve issues?

Ok, I got a question and has been bugging me how come we never use most of the technology we acquire or have learned from allies, aren’t they they’re to help us too when we are in trouble?

Even if we only have one form area 51 use it to help eliminate the situation, there does not always have to be something new. Yea got one lets use it use it, After 9 year’s area 51 should have figured out something. If not who cares if we are not alive to research it, let’s use it.

Bio illusion drug: Reole memory-altering chemical ("The Fifth Man")

BIO-SENSOR
    A circular device worn about the chest which monitors body functions of a specific individual. The sensor is capable of working on Humans, and can transmit data over significant distances. The information is processed into readable data on Tok'ra data pads

LIFE-SIGNS DETECTOR: Handheld: they use it on Atlantis why not SGC, (Multi-function device of Ancient origin, capable of detecting human and Wraith life signs, radiation and power sources, and more. The device is portable and hand-held, easily concealed in a vest pocket

MIMIC DEVICE:Alien device used by the mimetic aliens. The device allows a complete physical duplication of any individual that has been processed. We got there stuff when they tried to leave and blue them selves up but we got there tech.

What about all the other stuff we have seen like Personal cloaking Device, Personal shields to name a few more… What about all the Stuff from MA'CHELLO'S .. Come on bring in some of the old tech, and what good are allies, where they aren’t around and they will be effected by the ORI also... may be a army Of Androids from Tin man, nanites from Orban or there technology. It seems to me we saved the people in early years they must have something to help.
    Even make human life easier...
    LoneWolf

Maybe next time, you'll just wait and see."
    "And blow my last chance of ever being right?" -- Jack and Jacob, Enemies

No tech from Atlantis will be used on SG1, not just because Atlantis needs that stuff for themselves, but because they don't like crossovers like that. Same reason there are no zats on Atlantis

The mimic device was used in one other episode but it's programmed to represent only those specific individuals the aliens wanted them to represent It takes a while to figure this stuff out and it's not very useful to us even if we did since you'd have to kidnap and duplicate the person you wanted to represent and replace them. We haven't had much use for that kind of complex infiltration lately.

Most tech used by the Gaoa'uld require Naquadah in the blood and maybe even the alterrations having a symbiote makes, so personal goa'uld shields and hand devices are mostly useless.

I think, in order to use this tech consistently and for improvement of human life we have to completely figure them out and build them from scratch and we have other priority story-lines so these won't make it on screen as any major plot point. Which is why new tech only pops up when we need deux ex machina to save the day.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
      I think, in order to use this tech consistently and for improvement of human life we have to completely figure them out and build them from scratch and we have other priority story-lines so these won't make it on screen as any major plot point. Which is why new tech only pops up when we need deux ex machina to save the day.
      I agree with this. Ma'chellos devices are limited in number and despite certain advancements Earth has made it is still not on the level of an interstellar advanced nation. Unless Earth unites and reveals the stargate program as well as begin understanding alien tech and being able to replicate it rather then know where the start button is then Earth will be stuck as it is and will be forced to rely on its own designs.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

They used the mimic device on one ep other than "Foothold"... I don't remember which one, though.

Comment

The whole idea was to find atlantis and use the technology.. i think its stupid not too, as for no cross overs, thats not true if you ave watched any atlantis episodes. In my opion area 51 is a joke, it is a space ship dock only then. we have aquired a lot so figure out and redesign it. Think out side of the box, ok ya need naquida to power a sheild ok , how about build a battery for it... 9 years and not much the area 51 the engineers should be fired then. Im a engineer and there are fixes, that what engineers do think out side of the box.
          LoneWolf

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
            I agree with this. Ma'chellos devices are limited in number and despite certain advancements Earth has made it is still not on the level of an interstellar advanced nation. Unless Earth unites and reveals the stargate program as well as begin understanding alien tech and being able to replicate it rather then know where the start button is then Earth will be stuck as it is and will be forced to rely on its own designs.
            IF you are facing War & death, you use everything.. no mater if its the only one.. Hence WWII and the A-bomb, war brings out new idea's from old and improve old technologies, we have not seen that much. I would love to see a big bulky personal sheild.. cause in war you use it no matter the size and incovencene, look at the first computers. Its called PROTOTYPES, They work but not the best.. we need more of that.
            Last edited by Lonewolf; 02 March 2006, 07:06 AM.
            LoneWolf

Comment

So so so true and that why personelly I was disappointed with the scourge epidsode, they could of shown us some cool devices which were in the prototype stages of development. I would love to of seen the chinees women with a wish list of technology they wanted and I think perhaps it would ment something more to the audience when they blew the base up, we could of said damn it we just got see all that cool tech they were working on and they blew it up and instead all we found out is that they were doing research into electro magnetic field ool that so interesting and some bugs and I did not really care that much when they did blow it up because we did not really loose that much. I would love to see a episode base in area 51 where perhaps showing of some of the tech we have obtain over the past nine years. As for marchello technology he told us that it contain weapons which would destroy the gould, this would suggest to me contain information on technology superior to that of the gould and some of those would be energy weapons, shield, hyperspace tech, transports, I personally would thought they would metion machello when they first unveil the pometheous and all it would of required is one line, some of the technology use in the ship came from machello database and that all a simple few word and I of forgiven them about forgetting marchellos inventions.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf
                IF you are facing War & death, you use everything.. no mater if its the only one.. Hence WWII and the A-bomb, war brings out new idea's from old and improve old technologies, we have not seen that much. I would love to see a big bulky personal sheild.. cause in war you use it no matter the size and incovencene, look at the first computers. Its called PROTOTYPES, They work but not the best.. we need more of that.
                I really agree with you in that respect, Lonewolf. When in a desperate situation, one would use any and all things at their disposal. Fully understood or not.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

war is said to be good for the economy, so true is that phrase that most of the technology we take fro granted today is from WW2, of course alot of that technology gave way to technology so refined today such as Pcs and microchips and so on.

form my memory here is a list of the technology they gathered and used in later episodes.

1] Za'tarc detector: used in divide and conquer and then used later in "absolute power.

2] Gamekeeper chair, first seen in of course "gamekeeper season 2, then used in season 8 for some random reason to make an episode about virtual events that failed to impress most fans!!

3] Mimic devices: first seen in foothold, then used in in season 6 to assasinate kinsey, a rather cool idea that had to be brought back sooner than later to reek havoc and paranoia lol.

4] Transpahsic erradication rods (T.E.R) first seen in "hide and seek" than used in the season 3 episode fairgame to capture nasty little anoying Goa'ulds on the base.

5] Alkesh hyper drive: first seen or noted when oneill captured an alkesh in "avenger 2.0, later used on the prometheus in "momentum, to hop through space or was that "grace"?, could be both of em.

6] Naquadria: first seen in season 5 "meridian" and soon after to fuel the hyper drive of the X-302, earths first human built interstellar ship no less!

7] Naquahda generaor: first seen in the begining of season 3, gained from aliens and reverse engineered to use on earth, one of the best examples of alien tech being so readily used in SG1 so many episodes later the thing was used and to power atlantis at the begining so all in all from season 3 all the way to present.

actually come to think of it, there is quite a lot of alien tech used, i may have missed a few but alot of tech used once was never seen again, if they did the list would fill the web page whole
                  For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I don't think people realise how difficult it would be to reverse-engineer technology thats so beyond us, imagine giving some scientist from 100 years ago a modern mobile phone, it would probably take them years to figure it out, if they figured it out at all. And now realise that some of the aquired tech is proportionally 1000's of years ahead of us, It's more unrealistic that we've come as far as we have, imo...

Comment

I agree, they need to use some of the technology discovered in other episodes. We know that former hosts to gould can use hand devices as carter has done in the past. So, why hasnt carter practiced using gould hand devices. It seems by now Carter, Vala, and Oniel (if RDH ever returns) should be proficient in using the hand devices and should have them at all times. Also what about the personal shield that Rodney found in Atlantis S1, how about some of those for the Atlantis teams. Finally How is it after 9 season we still dont have any weapons technology. Please for the love of God let Earth Ships have advanced energy weapons. Finally with the gould gone, we know alot of there technology is avaible to buy, how about gould weapons designs or more importantly a SARCOUGHAGUS for the SGC and maybe one for ATLANTIS that way our team members wont keep dying.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2
                        So so so true and that why personelly I was disappointed with the scourge epidsode, they could of shown us some cool devices which were in the prototype stages of development. I would love to of seen the chinees women with a wish list of technology they wanted and I think perhaps it would ment something more to the audience when they blew the base up, we could of said damn it we just got see all that cool tech they were working on and they blew it up and instead all we found out is that they were doing research into electro magnetic field ool that so interesting and some bugs and I did not really care that much when they did blow it up because we did not really loose that much. I would love to see a episode base in area 51 where perhaps showing of some of the tech we have obtain over the past nine years. As for marchello technology he told us that it contain weapons which would destroy the gould, this would suggest to me contain information on technology superior to that of the gould and some of those would be energy weapons, shield, hyperspace tech, transports, I personally would thought they would metion machello when they first unveil the pometheous and all it would of required is one line, some of the technology use in the ship came from machello database and that all a simple few word and I of forgiven them about forgetting marchellos inventions.
                        Yea i agree with you, I was thinking about a episode where they got lots of stuff for are 51 and stuff did not do what they thought it would, sort of humor episode like with the time dilation with O'Neill and Teal'c in previous seasons. Personal Sheild na its makes Colonel Mitchell loose his hair or breaks out with a rash, i mean come on something anything it dont have to work but a least show they are trying, please.
                        LoneWolf

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                          I don't think people realise how difficult it would be to reverse-engineer technology thats so beyond us, imagine giving some scientist from 100 years ago a modern mobile phone, it would probably take them years to figure it out, if they figured it out at all. And now realise that some of the aquired tech is proportionally 1000's of years ahead of us, It's more unrealistic that we've come as far as we have, imo...
                          Yea but they dont have to reverse engineer some of the stuff just use it. when in trouble you use what you have even if it will only work once.. hurm
                          im in a desert, i have a bottle of water in my bag and diein of thirst, should i drink it. na i might need it later when i am swimming in a lake.
                          LoneWolf

Comment

I understand the desire to see old tech used; I want to see it too but the current direction of the show doesn't leave a lot of room for shows about this stuff (at least it really shouldn't), especially since some of the tech is very situation specific. They'd have to create a situation just so they could find a reason to use the tech; too often that becomes glaringly obvious to viewers because you're writing backwards and inorganically.

But anyway. The memory reading devices the Tokra used, we later used to discover the location of the Kull warriors homeworld.

We're not doing too badly. Any new tech isn't going to find it's way into the show anytime soon so you may actually see the tech later if the show continues for a few more seasons.

Also, some of the tech we've found proved to be more dangerous than valuable. Some are ancient and we had a hard time figuring out what they were supposed to do to say little of figuring out how they do it.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Becuase of Reverse Engineering. We only got the Prometheus made because we got help from the Tok'ra and our allies. The Asgard gave us a lot of help to. The only thing we did by ourselfs was the F-302.
                              http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9...sigcopy9ie.jpg
                              The Alliance is born!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X