This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enough with the Star Trek

Ok, I find it funny whenever they find new stuff and equate it to a Star Trek item. However, I don't think 8 years of it will be funny. They should find something else to say whenever they come across new toys. Besides, gate-ship is a fine name.
    "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

It made ring noises!

So, the Atlantis teleporters it's just a low-budget version of the rings
    sigpic

Comment

actually its an elevator/transporter. but its like the wall that swings around in a cirlce in scoobydoo cartoons.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

agreed...the ring noises were a nice touch and we expected that...not every bit of technology can be labeled "star trek"...if I go to a car show and see a brand new toyota I dont say, "Nice one Henry(Ford)".

Comment

Originally posted by airdish
          Ok, I find it funny whenever they find new stuff and equate it to a Star Trek item. However, I don't think 8 years of it will be funny. They should find something else to say whenever they come across new toys.
          The Star Trek lexicon has become a part of pop culture and everyday usage. Even people who don't routinely follow Star Trek and science fiction are familiar with Trek terminology.

Besides, gate-ship is a fine name.
          Oh, okay, well it's official, you don't get to name anything... EVER.
          To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

Exactly. If you found all this stuff that no one could ever think of in our day and age and it's almost like something you have seen on Star Trek you would say it to. If you don't like the ST parts then don't watch the show.
            It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by Buzz Lightyear
              The Star Trek lexicon has become a part of pop culture and everyday usage. Even people who don't routinely follow Star Trek and science fiction are familiar with Trek terminology.
              Exactly. I've only ever really watched the original series, but I know what is meant by a transporter, tricorder, tribble or holodeck. It is reasonable to think that Lt. Ford and Maj. Sheppard and all of the Atlantis crew are the same.

What do you think they'd say if they found a weapon that looked like a sword but used a shaft of light/energy rather than metal?? What do you think they'd call it? What would you call it?
              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
              once done, cannot be undone...
              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                What do you think they'd say if they found a weapon that looked like a sword but used a shaft of light/energy rather than metal?? What do you think they'd call it? What would you call it?
                Well, if it were up to McKay, he'd probably want to call it "energy stick".

McKay: "It's a stick and it's made of raw energy - hence energy stick."
                To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

Comment

well i just got the impression that it's really just mackay, he just seems to be the big trekkie, he's the one making all the trek references, not really anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                    What do you think they'd say if they found a weapon that looked like a sword but used a shaft of light/energy rather than metal?? What do you think they'd call it?
                    This is where I'd normally go into some diatribe about how LFL's legal department is a bunch of tightwads. But after they got away with the season seven opener for SG-1, well, I think they'd be able to get away with a mention of the term "lightsaber".

What would you call it?
                    My new best friend.
                    Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Law:
                    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."

Comment

Well, if it were up to McKay, he'd probably want to call it "energy stick".

McKay: "It's a stick and it's made of raw energy - hence energy stick."
                      Good point. But only because McKay's ego wouldn't allow him to let Lucas take the credit.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

your ppls problem is that you expect SGA to be like Star Trek, and you keep comparing it to Star Trek. As a trekkie, I'm telling you that this shows are totaly different, even if TRANSPORTER has the same....how else would you call it, tho?

Comment

one thing ive always liked about SG1 (and im glad it seems its been adpoted in SGA) is that they dont take themselves too seriously. They make references to other scifi shows (star trek, star wars) which makes SG1/SGA seem more real, i mean dont forget SG1 is set in our galaxy in our time period, not in the future or in some galaxy far far away...(i realise SGA is in another gal, but still) it adds to the realism, it wouldnt feel right if they ignored star trek/wars pop culture!

Comment

Oh, okay, well it's official, you don't get to name anything... EVER.
                            Anyone notice that Sheppard repeated his "We can name it later" line from Rising in Hide and Seek? Will he be saying this every time they come across some new piece of tech?
                            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                              Anyone notice that Sheppard repeated his "We can name it later" line from Rising in Hide and Seek? Will he be saying this every time they come across some new piece of tech?
                              I noticed that. I like it! SG-1's early episodes had Teal'c to identify the alien tech, but Atlantis doesn't have that luxury.

Comment

Working...
                              X