Special Hiatus Feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Hiatus Feature

Due to some heavy workloads (and on March 23rd you'll be able to see what we've been working on ), we haven't been able to release as many special features as we'd like to. However, today - surprise - we do have something for you.

What's available for download in this thread is the original and unchanged outline for the Season Two premiere, "A Time To Rise". I do figure that this could be interesting for some of you to read. For those of you writing your own series, it might be insightful to see how every single episode of Horizon starts off.

In general outlines vary, depending on how every show does them, ours are actually quite detailed. Sometimes we might start off with a rough outline (or beat sheet), but I've always found it very helpful to have this kind of detailed idea of every scene before writing it, and it's been working quite well for us. Believe it or not, our typical outline length is around 15 pages. And, yes, every single episode that hits your screens has started off like this, and has gone through this kind of process - writing the outline, notes from the staff, revising the outline (you'll see that often previous scenes were omitted, mostly due to length issues or because they were simply not needed). And only once the outline is in top shape, we'll proceed to script stage. Quite some effort for each episode, but it pays off. Makes actually writing the script a lot easier.

A couple of notes on this particular outline. First off, you'll find a mysterious "Directed by" credit on it. That's kind of an internal thing we do for fun - virtual directors, if you will. We've never publicly done that. It would probably cause some confusion. The (OPTICAL) notes behind scenes with visual effects was also something we did kind of for fun every now and then. On a shooting script you'd include those notes to have an idea how many visual effects shots the episode would have. The outline also shows you how the episode was originally conceived - initially it wasn't a special length episode, and this was the original structure. You'll also get to see what the initial cliffhanger ending was.

As I've said, this outline is unchanged - it was last revised on June 10th 2005 (titme's been flying by). You'll see that some things ended up a little differently in the episode.

Well, I hope you'll find this little feature interesting to look at. And of course you'll need a link to download it, and here it is!

Between now and the premiere, which is only a little over three weeks away, we'll be releasing some more features. Look for more outlines, including the one for 2.02. There's also an original first draft of the season premiere, before it became a special length episode. We might just release that as well. In addition, I'm determined to getting back to releasing some Making Of features. Other members of the staff have also stated their interest in doing that. And, we're also currently working on some concept art, so look out for the release of some images pretty soon.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Pretty quiet around here. Not much to say about outlines, I suppose.

Well. I figured it's time to toss out something new. This is a concept drawing of a particular character who appears on Horizon, and it was drawn by Joe Hodkiss, who's actually our co-executive producer. Joe might still be coloring this drawing; however, I know he was quite satisfied with it, so here it is - for now in its uncolored form, but quite brilliant, in my opinion.

To keep things interesting, I won't reveal just yet who this character is. Perhaps you'll recognize him (little hint: the name on the uniform makes it kinda obvious ).

As I've said, I think it's a great drawing - you can definitely tell that it was based on the actor "cast" for this character.

Enough from me; have a look for yourselves. You can find it by following this link.

Comment

Looks good.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Hi, Alex. Loved the special feature. Especially nice to have something Horizon related to read while we're waiting for Season 2 to resume. I am currently working on a few writing projects that I have begun to write in series format and I was excited to see that your outline structure resembles what I like to do before I write (yours was much neater though! LOL). Thanks for letting us in on the process of what it takes to bring an episode to final draft. Oh, and I loved the drawing of Sato. More please!
        Chase: "I'd like fish-sticks for lunch!"

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus72
          More please!
          Ask and you shall receive.

Click here to view!

Comment

I also thought I'd toss in the original outline for what became "Connection".

This one is 20 pages long, and A LOT didn't make it into the actual episode. Most scenes with Tom and Dr. Tarpley were actually scripted, and you can expect them to be released as deleted scenes very shortly.

Enjoy!

Comment

Hey, it worked!!! Let me try that again. More please (suddenly, we don't have to wait a few more weeks for the new episode. lol)!

Thanks for another behind the scenes peek, Alex.
              Chase: "I'd like fish-sticks for lunch!"

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus72
                Hey, it worked!!! Let me try that again. More please (suddenly, we don't have to wait a few more weeks for the new episode. lol)!

Thanks for another behind the scenes peek, Alex.
                I'm glad you liked it. There'll be more coming up shortly.

Comment

It would have been interesting reading that party. Was it ever written?
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
                    It would have been interesting reading that party. Was it ever written?
                    It wasn't. It only made it into the outline. Some of the scenes with Tom and Dr. Tarpley were written. I'll make sure to put them up pretty soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X