X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da Vinci Trial Starts

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=34804

Author Dan Brown appeared in a London court on Feb. 27 to start a trial in which two historians are accusing him of copying their ideas in his best-selling religious thriller The Da Vinci Code, the Reuters news service reported. More ...
    sigpic

Oh please, there is always some one trying to cash in on someone else's work
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I'm surprised they've waited this long... quite frankly...
      Of course Brown leap-frogged on their research... Any decent work that's debunked The Da Vinci Code has pretty much proven it.
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Some people do seem to send out gold-plated invitations saying:

Dear Author

You are cordially invited to
        SUE ME

at
        YOUR EARLIEST CONVINIENCE

to celebrate
        THE NEAR IDENTICAL NATURE OF YOUR BOOK AND MINE

yours faithfully
        A Plagarist

RSVP

Is there anyone who had read HBHG and DIDN'T think "court case!" as soon as they learned the premise of TDVC?

Madeleine

Comment

Theres no point they wont win it Instead they should focus on the movie coming out soon is gonna be cool and have Christopher Ecclestone in one of the main roles ( The guy who played the 9th Doctor in Doctor Who).
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

It's bound to happen....I"m not surprised at all.

What succeeds there'll always be ones who attempt to follow.

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
            Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

Bout time they put that stupid pile of crap and/or its author on trial. Or the bozos that think it's gospel. Either suits me.
              sigpic
              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Its not a stupid pile of crap. Its a great book

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                  Its not a stupid pile of crap. Its a great book
                  Sure it is, I like it, and it's obviously phenomenally popular. I think it's a pile of crap that we all heard about this on CNN and not Entertainment Tonight. There's a lot of other news out there to be heard. [end rant]

From the little bit I've heard about the subject, it's almost already decided that this trial has little to no substance, and that nothing at all will come of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                    Bout time they put that stupid pile of crap and/or its author on trial. Or the bozos that think it's gospel. Either suits me.
                    Well, it's a vaguely entertaining piece of nonsense...
                    The alarm bells rang for me when I noticed that he didn't even get the date for the finding of The Dead Sea Scrolls correct.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

True it probably is a pile of crap but if ,and im saying if ,what it said was true then I would sit buy since it doesnt bother me at all. The problem is with other people its this outrageous thing which makes you wonder how it just might possibly be true in itself. Its all very confusing really.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                        True. Amazing how this lawsuit is coming up right when the movie is set to come out, isn't it? These guys want a piece of the pie, plain and simple.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                          True. Amazing how this lawsuit is coming up right when the movie is set to come out, isn't it? These guys want a piece of the pie, plain and simple.
                          Of course, they do...
                          But while I think the whole premise is a load of nonsense and the research shoddy... they deserve some of the pie...
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't see why people think the suit has no merit. Consider the facts:

>Holy Blood, Holy Grail is a work of fiction that uses a framing device of pretending to be relating real events and people. The writers create an original conspiracy theory and a non-existent secret organization as part of it.

>Dan Brown happily goes around admitting to people that he read HBHG but says his book is simply a fictionalized novel based on the same events and organizations that HBHG is a non-fiction book about, claiming to have researched it independently.

>The writers of HBHG point out that it's actually a work of fiction and that they made it all up -- it only exists in their fictional universe so Brown COULDN'T have researched it independently.

It's the equivalent of someone making a TV series about Stargate Command and then claiming that it doesn't infringe MGM's copyright because thier's is a fictional entertainment based on the realworld organization in the Stargate SG1 reality documentary series! Throw in the whole thing about Brown using an anagram of the names from the earlier book and it really is a clincher.

Comment

Here's what I find very funny about all this, years ago a book was written by
                              Nikos Kazantzakis called The Last Temptation of Christ which raised the very same issues. But since the author died in 1983 and as far as I know left no heirs, there's no one to sue the HBHG writers.

Comment

Working...
                              X