X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parapsychology

Dualism Ideals ahead, Materialists adhere warning

Parapsychology is the study of the para-normal activities of the human mind. Not to be confused with the brain, the mind is an entity of non-matter; it existes not in the body, but linked to the body. Call it a soul, conscienceness, whatever you want.

I've speculated that ascension is a lot like parapsychology; the mind reaches such a level of understanding and capability that it no longer requires the body to interact on the physical plane. In the Atlantis episode EPIPHANY, Sheppard spends time with villagers that have limited psionic(think Jedi Knight, psychic) abilities. It's obvious these powers originate from their pseudo-acsended states(they're attempting to ascend, but not quite there yet). Through meditation and extreme mental concentration, they have expanded their mind's capabilities beyond that of normal function, hence, parapsychology.

Imagine the advantages that psionic abilities could grant SGC soldiers; whether it be using their concentration and focus to guide their bullets towards a target, Extra-sensory-perception to detect presences and ambushes, or telepathic abilities to demoralize soldiers and/or even strike fear in your enemy and confidence in your allies.

In Epiphany, the little girl(Hedda) had the power to heal others. Imagine the contrast of that, using powers to inflict wounds rather than heal them. Soudns kind of dark-sideish, I know, but even against ships and fleets that could be invaluable, causing rips and tears in star ship's hulls. In the same episode, Teer seemed the have an ability similar to astral-projection, seperating her mind from her body. This would be invaluable in recon missions, being able to move around enemy territory freely, completly undetectable in a ghost-like form.

Although the Priors seem to have similar pseudo-acsended abilities, I think it would still be advantageous to have some powers of our own. I'd say parapsychology, a.k.a. Ascension, is definetly worth the SGC's looking into and study.
    "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

Well, of course it is. But it's rather difficult. Even the Ancients had to struggle with it for thousands, possibly millions of years to do it right.

We should study it, obviously, but don't expect any major breakthroughs in our lifetime.

Comment

The ancients didn't necesarly know what they were aiming for, the Tauri do. I've heard a lot of stories in real life of that sort of parapsychology stuff, namely from monks, believe it or not. Although htey do meditate a lot.

Comment

Yeah, I think the martail arts style your referring to is Tai Ji Quan, or at least a modified version of that. Thats the one you see people doing in the snow all the time with little clothing on. Mind over matter indeed. Edit: I remember my Philosophy professor telling me they referr to "the Dragon", a controlable flowing of energy that courses through their body once a certain level of meditation is achieved. He ssid he even felt it, and he only ever tryed Tai Ji Quan once. So as long as you have someone teaching you, it can't be all that hard.

It could be tough, but if trained at a younger age to master the mind(expecially with the help of Ancient dialouge) who knows what could happen.

Baltar for President.

Comment

Still, is our species ready to take such a drastic step? As far as we know, you cannot ascend without some considerable help. The villagers in "Epiphany" were more than likely helped out by some Ancient technology, along with the time-dilation field. Their psychic energies being linked to that monster, more than likely not done by sheer chance.

Daniel, Shifu, Anubis and the people of Abydos all needed Oma's help in ascending. She served as a "gateway", showing the way, but requiring the one who wished to Ascend to take the path. Nirtii and Khalek required Ancient technology to even begin approaching ascension. And the Priors were granted their abilities by the Ori.

It seems to me that if ascension were simply a matter of willpower and spiritual enlightenment, a lot more humans would have accomplished it. However, taking that final step into evolving to the next stage of existence seems to require a LOT more than just that.

Comment

I agree, but ascension is not necessarily our goal. We should try to grasp these powers with or without the intention of ascending. I'm just saying, it could add a whole new dimension to the Stargate's capabilities. Ascension requires a more evolved mind set, thats something that would take many many many centuries to develope. I'm saying psionic abilities are worth looking into, just to see what happens. Besides, I think it would make for a cool concept, Jedi soldiers. Pretty hardcore.

Baltar for President.

Comment

Working...
            X