X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Anti Thread?

Here's a suggestion:

Let's create a new sub-forum where everyone who wants to post anything along the lines of:

* Bring back Jack
    * Ben Browder sucks
    * Cameron Mitchell sucks
    * They're trying to turn Mitchell into Jack Light
    * Jack was much better than Mitchell
    * Season 9 sucks
    * The previous seasons were so much better
    * The show is going down the drain with the changes
    * Vala sucks
    * Why are they trying to replace Carter with Vala

... and you get the idea...

That way, topics like that will be less of an eyesore in the Stargate discussion forums and people won't start new threads about the same things all the time since if they went into the sub-forum there'd be a lot of said threads pretty active or at least not bumped onto page 55 yet.

I can understand that the mods want to make this a very user-friendly forum but in all of the boards I've ever frequented, it's always been frowned upon to start threads there have already been 10+ or so threads about in the past few weeks especially when the Search function would quickly reveal this fact and also when there's actually an identical thread already in existance on the 1st page!

During my 1st few weeks here, I experienced contemporary threads started with minimal intervalls on the exact same matters on the 1st page.

People are perfectly entitled to having opinions. They are entitled to state them whenever they wish to without being attacked. However, we can't have people starting threads of said opinions over and over again willy nilly.

I tried an experiment yesterday. I started 5 (I think) threads on opinions of mine. They all disappeared the next day. Some were merged. I don't know if they all were, but the one thread that wasn't a duplicate (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...23#post4976423) got locked.

And two mods Redded me. Well that says a lot. It's OK if it's several people doing it over and over and over, but when one person's doing it (even for demonstrational purposes), it pisses people off majorly.

Yet, I have never seen mods do anything with duplciate threads on the subjects listed above besides merging them. The mods don't even do comments like "Please try to use the search function" or anything. User friendly, yes. User friendly while user unfriendly to others, no.

Now let's look at the big picture. Constant threads on how much people want Jack back piss off, I don't know, half the forum maybe? It seems that even among those who actually want him back, there are people who get pissed when new threads on those matters pop up again.

ah im back after spending about 45 minutes logging in after such and such maintaince was thrust upon the forum the last 2 days and i have to request my password again because i never use my pass i just auto log in with out doing well nothing at all,

anyway i felt obliged to post here as i agree with the primary post that started this thread and did't want to see it swept down the menu page and off into the thousands of archived pages no longer veiwed, so yeah i agree, duplicate threads on so many most asked topics are becoming a major pain in the ass serving to piss off most older users as the more recent Gw forum members a consequence of the "no guest allowed to post idea" thanks a lot moderators by the way, i agree a section for these threads should at least be considered, i hate anti this and that threads and brink back the tollan and the nox, ohhh where does the atlantis crew take a dump in the city????????.......usual crap, i have posted on other threads the idea of having a page that pops up every time a new member wants to join that states the rules ie; all of the above and much more junk threads, and not to put too finer point on the matter pretty much discontinue their membership if their break the rules, the same would apply for older users but there we have it, older users don't do that, we are more considerate in light of GW's older rules and have come to a shared understanding that the said post just makes more problems than needed.

anyway im not angry im just making my point and to re-enforce the point that this thread makes smak bang here on the forum page for all to read.

For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

^^
      ^

Actually this could have faired better had it been in the "ask the mods thread", daymn i should have known better, oh well my bad
      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

You knowingly started a bunch of redundant threads out of sheer hatred with the express purpose of being antagonistic. That is why the threads were shut down and/or merged and why you got negged (regardless of who negged you). I may not be a mod, but even I can figure out that much.

GW forum is not a place for you or anyone to forward a campaign of spite against other users.

The threads you see as an eyesore aren't an eyesore to those who post in them. For some people, it's the ship threads or the thunk threads that are an aggravating presence. Or the tournament threads. If you don't like it, don't read it. And if you can't stand to even SEE it? Suck it up and get over it. And stop blaming the mods for being part of some conspiracy. That is so old.

Comment

Funny you should point out the ship threads, because they were such an eyesore that they got their own forum, which is exactly what Fallen was talking about.

Funny, life is.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            You knowingly started a bunch of redundant threads out of sheer hatred with the express purpose of being antagonistic. That is why the threads were shut down and/or merged and why you got negged (regardless of who negged you). I may not be a mod, but even I can figure out that much.

GW forum is not a place for you or anyone to forward a campaign of spite against other users.

The threads you see as an eyesore aren't an eyesore to those who post in them. For some people, it's the ship threads or the thunk threads that are an aggravating presence. Or the tournament threads. If you don't like it, don't read it. And if you can't stand to even SEE it? Suck it up and get over it. And stop blaming the mods for being part of some conspiracy. That is so old.

Totally agreed. Being obnoxious is not a way to win friends.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
            ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
              Funny you should point out the ship threads, because they were such an eyesore that they got their own forum, which is exactly what Fallen was talking about.

Funny, life is.
              Not really - the whole subject of character-based posts was given its own forum. Just as Science and Tech was. It's a distinct subsection - 'anti' threads are an evil common to most areas of the forum.

Comment

Indeed. Having a section for 'Anti-comments only' is like segregating that opinion off - almost as if 'And here's the section for all the weirdos who don't like things... point and laugh guys!' It implies that that opinion is less important, and of course it isn't.

Personally I tend to be medium-pro, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate some people have become dissatisfied. I ENJOY reading their comments and debating with those that are happy to have a debate (such as Shadow, for example). The only problems come when people are so anti (or pro) that they refuse to listen to the opposing viewpoint, and just insult each other, and those people are dealt with as necessary by the mods.

Also, creating lots of threads just to make a point is not exactly constructive, and i'm not surprised the mods frowned on you.
                I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

There's also the matter of determining how one classifies "anti". I, for one, wouldn't have thought of the "Bring back Jack" threads as being anti since they're very much pro Jack.

So any thread that has even the slightest hint of a complaint about it gets shoved into some dark little hole where all the happy shiny fans don't have to be tainted by it? Puh-lease. If anyone's sensibilities are so delicate that they're greatly offended by the merest hint of negativity, I'm thinking they shouldn't be on the internet at all.

Comment

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
                    Not really - the whole subject of character-based posts was given its own forum. Just as Science and Tech was. It's a distinct subsection - 'anti' threads are an evil common to most areas of the forum.
                    Wo Wo Wo!!! An 'evil common'!!!

Anti opinions are perfectly welcome here so long as they are within forum rules.

Remember, all opinions are welcome. Stating someones opinion as 'evil' is incredibly harsh and not at all constructive.

Sheesh - the amount of times i've said this really. Can people really not understand that some people have completely opposite viewpoints, and they are completely valid?

Comment

Originally posted by jonno
                      Sheesh - the amount of times i've said this really. Can people really not understand that some people have completely opposite viewpoints, and they are completely valid?
                      Obviously you're mistaken, jonno. You're only allowed to have an opinion if it's a positive one. There will be no dissent. There will be no complaining. If someone disapproves of your opinion, you are forthwith banned from all future conversations and ordered to stop watching the show.

Big Brother has spoken.

Comment

Obviously you're mistaken, jonno. You're only allowed to have an opinion if it's a positive one. There will be no dissent. There will be no complaining. If someone disapproves of your opinion, you are forthwith banned from all future conversations and ordered to stop watching the show.

Big Brother has spoken.
                        Good job I have mostly positive comments then !

But really. I come here because I enjoy it, and like to find out what other people think.

Could I remind people of one forum members mission, which I would like to try and honour in her memory (I hope her friends don't mind me quoting this)

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard
                        I'm afraid I'm the bearer of sad news. One of our own, Whistler84, passed away last night. Her real name was Sana.

One of her close friends left this message in a thread Sana frequented:
                        Originally posted by SnoggingPicard
                        Guys, anyone who's reading this, the most important thing to Whistler was that we all get along with each other regardless of our ideas or beliefs. I am begging all of you, from the bottom of my heart, can we please make this our goal? Can we do this for Whistler and what she stood for? She was so kind, so patient, so dedicated to her friends...it would mean more to me than anything if we can really try to make her goals of respect and kindness a reality.
                        Please – let's all make this our mission. Let's not forget her.

Let her live on.

Comment

Wo Wo Wo!!! An 'evil common'!!!

Anti opinions are perfectly welcome here so long as they are within forum rules.

Remember, all opinions are welcome. Stating someones opinion as 'evil' is incredibly harsh and not at all constructive.

That wasn't really what I meant. I post on anti-season two/OMG I'm terrified season three will be crap threads quite often. I have anti-views myself. I said 'evil' because FallenAngelII clearly thinks they are.

Also: please don't patronise me.

Comment

Totally agreed. Being obnoxious is not a way to win friends.
                            I'm not looking to make friends with this campaign.

Indeed. Having a section for 'Anti-comments only' is like segregating that opinion off - almost as if 'And here's the section for all the weirdos who don't like things... point and laugh guys!' It implies that that opinion is less important, and of course it isn't.

Personally I tend to be medium-pro, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate some people have become dissatisfied. I ENJOY reading their comments and debating with those that are happy to have a debate (such as Shadow, for example). The only problems come when people are so anti (or pro) that they refuse to listen to the opposing viewpoint, and just insult each other, and those people are dealt with as necessary by the mods.

Also, creating lots of threads just to make a point is not exactly constructive, and i'm not surprised the mods frowned on you.
                            How is it they're worth less if they get their own section (while keeping the post count status)? They're just so abundant that they're overrunning the general discussion. And why would we point at laugh at them?! We'd stay the hell away from that section if we didn't like it.

The biggest problem is that people keep making new threads on the same subjects over and over again even if the old ones are just slightly old and have been bumped down to page 3 or something and were never closed.

I once counted 3 topics on the same matter active on the 1st page at once.

For the record, I don't think they're evil. But "Bring back Jack", "Cam Mitchell is a bad character", "Jack is so much better" and "Season 9 sucks in comparison to the others" and "Everything used to be much better before season 9" is all linked, thus why it needs its own forum.

However, recently, it's simmered down and we aren't seeing new topics started on it. I guess we should be happy. Or prepare for the storm as new members join for the season finales and season premieres.

Comment

That wasn't really what I meant. I post on anti-season two/OMG I'm terrified season three will be crap threads quite often. I have anti-views myself. I said 'evil' because FallenAngelII clearly thinks they are.

Also: please don't patronise me.
                              OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.
                              Also, I'm sorry if you felt I was being patronising. I wasn't trying to be, but sometimes stuff written down can be read the wrong way.
                              It's just I'd posted an 'all opinions are valid' post in another thread literally half an hour before, and then come in here quickly reading 'anti threads are an evil common,' and so tried the 'all opinions are equal post again'. Perhaps I could have worded it better. It was 2 am at the time!

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                              How is it they're worth less if they get their own section (while keeping the post count status)? They're just so abundant that they're overrunning the general discussion. And why would we point at laugh at them?! We'd stay the hell away from that section if we didn't like it.
                              Of course they aren't actually worth less, but if they were all segregated off, it would be easy for people to dismiss that set of opinions. If you were going to segregate off anti threads you'd have to segregate off pro too, otherwise people could cry foul.

The 'point and laugh' was just part of my analogy, although , whilst you or I may stay away from anti stuff if we want to, some people can be antagonistic enough to provoke an opposing 'group.'

Comment

Working...
                              X