PDA

View Full Version : Review and Analysis threads not updated

F-302 Alpha
February 25th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Why have the episode analysis and overall reviews no been updated since stronghold for sg1 and grace under pressure for atlantis. Also when will we see updated TV ratings for these weeks?

Skydiver
February 25th, 2006, 07:39 PM
to the best of my knowledge, the reviews and analysis are under discussion and Darren will post the ratings as soon as Scifi releases them

ShadowMaat
February 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
According to Darren's blog, there will be no more reviews, ever. Instead we're meant to rely on the thousands of "reviews" and opinions expressed by GW posters in the ep discussion threads.

The analyses will be revived, time permitting.

Darren
February 25th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Analyses are cooking, and hopefully I'll have a chance to get several published this coming week. They take quite a bit of work.

Ratings -- we publish the data as soon as we receive it. Sci Fi Wire will be releasing this info in the weeks ahead.

Reviews -- currently closed for business (http://www.gateworld.net/blogs/darren/2006/02/incredible-vanishing-reviews.shtml). But we are cooking up a very interesting idea to replace this feature, which may come to fruition next season!

Stricken
February 26th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I love reading the blogs :D it remids me to get around to starting mine:D

Matt G
March 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Analyses are cooking, and hopefully I'll have a chance to get several published this coming week. They take quite a bit of work.

Any reason in particular? When I first started up my site I remember spending ages on ep synopses but I was usually churning out four a day and can pull off one in an afternoon if there's nothing else in the schedule.

Darren
March 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
"Nothing else on the schedule" is the key there. In addition to living online at GateWorld.net I also have a job, grad school, a wife, and a 12-week-old baby.

I have a lot of fun with episode analyses, and I want them to be completely thorough and accurate. That takes two or three trips through the episode, another editing pass, and some cross-referencing research. I'm close to publishing two, and have an initial pass of notes for every aired episode. What I could really use is a free week to sit down and watch a marathon.

Skydiver
March 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM
any volunteers to babysit???? ;)

Matt G
March 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
"Nothing else on the schedule" is the key there. In addition to living online at GateWorld.net I also have a job, grad school, a wife, and a 12-week-old baby.

I have a lot of fun with episode analyses, and I want them to be completely thorough and accurate. That takes two or three trips through the episode, another editing pass, and some cross-referencing research. I'm close to publishing two, and have an initial pass of notes for every aired episode. What I could really use is a free week to sit down and watch a marathon.

Bloody hell that is thorough. Me, I do pretty thorough synopses(exception being Tok'ra part 2[and after Atlantis S2 is finished I'm thinking of tracking that down to complete the SG1 S1-8 set] and most of SG1 S9) based off a transcript and DVD/other footage if available.

Then again that's probably why Gateworld's the big name and Matt G's place doesn't get as much feedback as I'd like.

And my folks think that I put too much work into 'my' website(having said that, my site's not just Gate and the sports section gets regular updates as well. But still...)

Carl
March 18th, 2006, 01:55 AM
It's a shame that the reviews are gone! I used to really enjoy reading them and evaluating an episode myself. It has to be said that reviews on the site, published by a more talented editor is much better than simply reading an opinion topic on the forum which is much less interesting and much less detailed.

I can understand the problem with misinterpretation but perhaps that could be fixed by a precise review section with an episode list and 3 or 4 reviews for each. This way, the reviews aren't mixed up with analysis, transcripts etc. to make it seem officially Gateworld, plus you can incorporate more reviews which give a wider scope of opinion to weed out bias. I know it's a terrible amount of extra workload, but perhaps it could serve as a consideration for the distant future...

ShadowMaat
March 18th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I'd rather have no reviews than 3-4 different people talking about how fracking brilliant an ep was regardless of the actual quality of the ep.

PG15
March 26th, 2006, 01:23 PM
What I don't get is why we need reviews in the first place. Not to say the old reviews weren't well written or anything, but I just don't think they're necessary.

I mean, what makes their opinions anymore valid than mine that they get their own section?