PDA

View Full Version : Let's ENJOY our Fandom...and show each other and the Actors/etc, how great GW is !

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone !
I'm wondering if it may be time for us all to show consideration for each other when we Post .....and cut the Actors and PTB some slack too.
There's already a DDL Appreciation Package Thread ,and the Posts there set me to thinking. So did some other Posts/Threads,around the Forum.

Do we sometimes go too far,when Posting ?

I know we all have our favourite ideas for the Show,and fave Characters and/or "Pairings",and sometimes debate can become a little (or very !) heated . This is usually kept under control by each other, or by Mod intervention.

What I'm asking for, is patience with each other and adherence to the Forum Rules.They clearly ask for respect between Fans and towards the Actors and the PTB ! Therefore personal "digs" at other Posters/Actors etc, shouldn't happen,should they ?

Over to you GW Posters : What informal "Rules" do YOU feel should be observed or would help you enjoy Fandom :D ?

To the Mods.If this is in the wrong section,or you feel I've overstepped my mark by appealing like this,then I accept your decision. I have no wish to "Stir",or attack fellow members . I just want us to never end up like some Sites I've visited before/since joining GateWorld . :o

ShadowMaat
July 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM
Over to you GW Posters : What informal "Rules" do YOU feel should be observed or would help you enjoy Fandom :D
1. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES!!! :P
2. No spoilers in sig files. I don't mean random bits of dialogue, I mean things like, "Oh my god, I can't believe Siler is dead!" stuff.
3a. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. It's something I have to learn, myself. Just because you don't agree with a person's viewpoint does NOT mean that that person is an idiot (unless they say they hate Luke ;)) nor does it mean that you have a right to ridicule that person or his/her view.
3b. Respect. This goes for the characters as well as the actors/crew. Just because you think that Chevron Guy is a pathetic good-for-nothing coward doesn't mean you have to say it... or at least not like that. There are ways of communicating your displeasure without resorting to petty insults and derogatory language.
3c. Respect! This goes for the actual wording of your posts as well. Try and make yourself as coherent as possible. Don't post in half-sentences, half-thoughts and half-wit just because you can't be bothered to think things out. The "you know what I mean" excuse only goes so far. People should be thinking about the content of your posts, not trying to decipher what you're saying.
4. No spoilers in the subject lines!
5. Remember to mix in some happy thoughts with your complaints. If even I can manage to say nice things once in a while then there's no reason why others can't, too. ;)
6. No spoilers in the subject lines!!

I also think we should all take some time to peruse the Thank goodness for Gateworld (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2361) thread and post their own warm fuzzies about our home here in cyberspace. ;) I know there was a "three cheers" thread a while back, but this one is a little broader to include actual content as opposed to just stroking the egos of the mods. :P

I don't want to see a rash of "appreciation packets" being started for everyone, but yes, a generally kinder air- especially towards those people/things we may not particularly like (or which may even drive us into a bloody froth) might be kinda nice.

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
Pretty good list,there,Shadow,IMO ! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll add one of my personal hopes to the lists.

To All:
**When stating an opinion,be careful to state it as opinion . Not Fact !**

For a start,that's actually setting a challenge to other Posters,and should the "Fact" be wrong,...boy,will you feel sheepish ! ;)

Secondly,sometimes being blunt and to the point can come across as rude,even if that wasn't the intention !

(See Shadow's Rule 3a . ;) )

ShadowMaat
July 23rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Amen to the opinion thing. I try to be exceedingly careful about that and while I know that in most circumstances people are just mis-stating an opinion, sometimes it's still really irritating.

Shipperahoy
July 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
I'd like to see less stereotyping and assumptions. Just because a person belongs to a certain fan group doesn't mean that you can go making assumptions about what they do and do not want to see on the show. Not all anti-shippers agree on everything nor do shippers or noromos. I realize that it's easy to just lump people together into one definition but it's not the case.

Anthro Girl
July 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Okay, everything Shadow said plus:

7. no spoilers in the subject lines
8. No Spoilers In The Subject Lines
9. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES
10. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES :D
11. Respect for the international community that is Stargate fandom and recognition that not everyone who has access to the Internet also has access to SciFi channel at 9pm on Friday nights. :)
12. Never, ever lose your sense of humor.

Of course, now that I mentioned no spoilers in the subject line, I should add that the subjects should be 1) descriptive enough and 2) include a spoiler warning if necessary. Seeing a subject that says "I have a question..." and then a message that starts out "Now that Siler has married the Wraith Queen..." doesn't really help. :p

Shipperahoy
July 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Siler married the Wraith Queen?!!! Darn you!!!! You've spoiled the whole series for me know.

Ugly Pig
July 23rd, 2004, 01:45 PM
Nah, she's pulling your leg. There hasn't been any progress in that storyline since their engagement. :)

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 01:46 PM
Another thing that bugs me is Actor Bashing. You covered that very well in your rules/post ,Shadow . :D
I agree with you, that while there's no need to put any more "Packets" together,I feel a lot of anger towards storylines ends up as hostile attitudes towards the Cast !
(DDL,being an obvious victim,but AT,etc, get it too, on the net and by mail...not good at all,IMO.)

There's a very fine line....and I try not to cross it ! :eek:

The whole point is to enjoy Stargate/ Atlantis Fandom,after all . :)

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'd like to see less stereotyping and assumptions. Just because a person belongs to a certain fan group doesn't mean that you can go making assumptions about what they do and do not want to see on the show. Not all anti-shippers agree on everything nor do shippers or noromos. I realize that it's easy to just lump people together into one definition but it's not the case.
I totally agree with you,ShipperAhoy .
I really like a lot of Posters here,and they all have my friendship and respect,and an equal right to their opinions on any subject . :D
(I see no reason to be horrible to anyone else,either,as I have no right to domineer ! :o )

David
July 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
On the whole I've been extremely pleased with the attitudes of folks in the GW forum, especially when they stack up to other forums. I do feel though that some folks do not read the Forum Rules when they first sign up, and have consequently given themselves inappropriate names that we must remedy, but other than that the folks here are likable people.

I especially like this forum (and i'm not saying this because I'm a mod but because I too am a GW fan) because as long as it's not off-color, you're free to discuss anything you want. Don't like Daniel on SG-1? You won't get expelled here. Sure, you might need to keep out of protected threads that are to the contrary, but other than that you're home free.

It's important to remember that we want to keep the forum positive, generally speaking. It's healthy, it makes you leave feeling good instead of mistreated and bashed, and, well, it's healthy. If anyone feels slighted or mistreated, please note that the mod's shoulders are there for you - you don't need to take matters into your own hands if you don't think you can handle things properly.

Happy gating, everyone!
Great thread, FH!

Shipperahoy
July 23rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
I'm certainly not bashing GW in any way. I mean what if Darren took away my magic beans? I love it here. It's my home away from home. My husband keeps saying that I'm cheating on him with a forum. I have made a whole lot of friends here and with the few pretty rare exceptions people here are very polite and willing to accept opinions that don't mesh with their own. And if they don't will I can always put the fear of David into them. :p

ShadowMaat
July 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
If anyone feels slighted or mistreated, please note that the mod's shoulders are there for you - you don't need to take matters into your own hands if you don't think you can handle things properly.
Oh, but Davey dearest, what if I know I CAN handle things properly but I'm also smart enough to know that my definition of "properly" is probably a bannable offense? http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/scorchio/sevil.gif

If I may be allowed a moment of seriousness here, I really do like the GW mods. Heck, having any mods at all is a vast improvement over my last hangout, but the fact that they're good enough to let us run wild (but pull us back when we need it) is really a wonderful thing. They also don't let their own biases get in the way of doing their job. I know Shipperahoy will protect me even after I throw rocks at the shipper beehive. ;) Well... maybe... Gipsy will mash on my toes when I need it, David will go around being infuriatingly nice all the time... :P It's a good mix of people and talents.

And just for another grumble (you know I couldn't resist), this is a little in line with what Anthro was saying- while I don't want spoilers in the subject line, I would like SOME idea of what to expect. "A question" really isn't very helpful and it's easy enough to be more descriptive without venturing into spoilers. "Question about Siler" would be better. Assuming it's about Siler. :P And don't title your thread "Wraith feeding habits" and then spend the whole post talking about how buff McKay is. I'm all for discussion of McKay's buffness, but if it's under "Wraith feeding habits" I might miss it and that would make me very sad. :( *sniffle*

Anthro Girl
July 23rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Nah, she's pulling your leg. There hasn't been any progress in that storyline since their engagement. :)
Yes, yes. Last we heard, the engagement ring was attacking his arm and he had to go to the infirmary...again! :p

Nods, kudos and genuine, fuzzy goodness to the Mods and GW community. I like the fact that all opinions are welcome here as long as we are responsible and respectful.

ShadowMaat
July 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Yes, yes. Last we heard, the engagement ring was attacking his arm and he had to go to the infirmary...again! :p
LOL! He just has the worst luck... ;) Of course, I still say that Jack is responsible for all of Siler's "accidents". Wrench envy is a terrible thing...

Nods, kudos and genuine, fuzzy goodness to the Mods and GW community. I like the fact that all opinions are welcome here as long as we are responsible and respectful.
Except for you. All your opinions are rubbish. ;)

Moi? Responsible and respectful? I can hear people falling off their chairs laughing right now. :P

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM
Maybe this will sound a stupid thing to raise,but there seems to be a case for using the emoticons !
I try to use them properly,and so far nobody's had a pop at my style of posting,...but if a Poster doesn't use the icons,are they maybe accidentally coming across as confrontational ?
(On the other hand,maybe I'm too generous with giving "benefit of the doubt" :o )

Just wondering really ! :)

(BTW,Thanks for the compliment about the thread,David ! :D )

ShadowMaat
July 23rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
Emoticons may seem a bit corny, but they really DO help sometimes. For instance, my snark to Anthro might seem like a real insult without the lil winky thing. ;) Humor/general intent can be very hard to express with words alone. Human languages in general are very dependent upon body language and physical characteristics to convey meaning, which is probably at least part of the reason emoticons were invented. They're a poor substitute for one-on-one realspace communication, but they usually work well enough. :)

Anthro Girl
July 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Except for you. All your opinions are rubbish. ;)
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you're a big, lemon chicken! ;)

Moi? Responsible and respectful? I can hear people falling off their chairs laughing right now. :P
No, that was the sound of me slapping my forehead. What was I thinking? :eek:

Agreement on the emoticon usage. They can get a bit annoying to use, but necessary in the absence of voice inflection and body language.

You suck!
vs.

You suck! :D
makes a world of difference.

Bagpuss
July 23rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
Excellent demo,ladies ! :D

David
July 24th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Emoticons are indeed a tremendous advantage. Not necessarily the little images, but things like :) :D ;) :P etc. (Actually now I'm realizing when this converts into the forum they'll be pics again, the the original intent was for you to see them as text ;)...D'oh!)

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 06:22 AM
That, Davey dearest, is probably why there's that little checkbox that says "disable smilies in text".

*tests* :) ;) :P :D :(

Of course, if this doesn't work, I'll look like a bit of a twit...
EDIT: d*mn I'm good. ;)

David
July 24th, 2004, 06:41 AM
I use Quick Reply a lot, which does not have that feature. Besides, it was funnier this way.

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 06:46 AM
I use Quick Reply a lot, which does not have that feature. Besides, it was funnier this way.
Ha. You're just jealous 'cause I one-upped you again. :P

Shipperahoy
July 24th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Now now children. You two remind me of my siblings. :D

David
July 24th, 2004, 07:55 AM
No kidding :)

If you'll notice I've stopped contributing to the madness.

Feli
July 24th, 2004, 08:09 AM
as opposed to just stroking the egos of the mods. :P

What's wrong with stroking our egos...? ;)

Actually, let me see if I can't dig up that thread again. *g*

David
July 24th, 2004, 08:16 AM
We had one? Oh dear...

Shipperahoy
July 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
I'm all for ego stroking. Nothing wrong with that.

keshou
July 24th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Yes the mods do a very nice job on this forum. Seem like very nice people as well. Okay, enough with the ego stroking thing (I mean they *do* get paid in magic beans, right??) ;) ....and back on-topic.

There's a lot of good suggestions in this thread by FH, AnthroGirl, Shadow and Shipperahoy. Thanks.

A few things that have also helped me in dealing with online fandom...

* Try to treat people as if you're dealing with them face-to-face. If you wouldn't say it to their face, why would you put it in a message on the internet to them? I try really hard (although I certainly screw up) not to say anything about a fan or one of TPTB or how an episode was written or the actors that I wouldn't be willing to say to them if we were having a conversation.

* If a message really, really makes you angry, stop before you post the quick reply and let it rest awhile. The post may well deserve a strong response, but a well-thought out reply is ten times more effective than an off-the-cuff remark full of expletives that may escalate the tension to a new level.

* Reasonable people can disagree

* It's never the wrong decision to take the high road. :)

aAnubiSs
July 24th, 2004, 09:03 AM
That's some freaky stuff going on in here... And you want to show people how great this is? :D

this is the post one should show all trollers :P

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Should "stroke the mods' egos" be one of the rules? :D

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM
* If a message really, really makes you angry, stop before you post the quick reply and let it rest awhile. The post may well deserve a strong response, but a well-thought out reply is ten times more effective than an off-the-cuff remark full of expletives that may escalate the tension to a new level.
Better yet, if something offends you that greatly, either leave it alone or point it out to a mod. Even a well thought out reply can escalate tension, and there comes a point when you have to ask, "What good would it do?" If the other person is being intractable, then nothing you can say is likely to change that, so why bother?

This ties in with the "take the high road" thing, but I'm a wordy person. ;)

As for stroking the mods' egos... I think they get enough of that already. What they REALLY need is to be taken down a few pegs. :P Good thing they have me around for that. hehe

Shipperahoy
July 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Excuse me but there can never be enough mod ego stroking. That's just ridiculous. :p Besides one never knows when one will need a favor. Oops. Did I really write that? That implies that a mod can be bought and we can't. At least not cheap. ;)

BTW just in case this needs pointing out I am completely 100% joking.

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 24th, 2004, 12:06 PM
A thing the bugs me around here is how quick people (that aren't Moderators) are to jump all over people for making a mistake. The Moderators do a great job around here and they don't need the help of the "Self Appointed" Forum police. :mad:

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I dunno about that. Personally, I'd rather get told off by another user than be told off by a mod. True or not, it always feels like I've really done something wrong if a mod reprimands me, but if it's just another homebody, it doesn't sting as much.

As for me, there are some things which grate on the nerves to such an incredible degree- things which I find to be blatantly obvious- which I can't help but react to. Spoilers in the subject line being something that comes immediately to mind. ;)

BTW... it's been a while since I've mentioned how much I love McKay, so I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I really really love McKay. :D

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
I dunno about that. Personally, I'd rather get told off by another user than be told off by a mod. True or not, it always feels like I've really done something wrong if a mod reprimands me, but if it's just another homebody, it doesn't sting as much.

As for me, there are some things which grate on the nerves to such an incredible degree- things which I find to be blatantly obvious- which I can't help but react to. Spoilers in the subject line being something that comes immediately to mind. ;)

BTW... it's been a while since I've mentioned how much I love McKay, so I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I really really love McKay. :D

I think the moderators are much more tactful in their reprimands.

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Yup, they probably are. And as soon as I get reprimanded by a mod for being "tactless", I will be more than happy to quiet down. At least for a while. ;)

But sometimes, being all sugar and spice doesn't communicate a point.

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I would like to think that I haven't jumped all over anyone and that if I did, I hope the Mods (or anyone else, for that matter) would jump all over me.

The Mods have the power and authority to tell us when we our out-of-line for whatever reason, individually or collectively. However, I think it makes for a better "community" when the members can discuss amongst themselves.

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 12:53 PM
As the cute dude on Babylon 5 said, "You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than you can with just a kind word." ;)

But I digress... Yes, it's always good when the peons are free to talk amongst themselves.

Did I mention that I still like McKay? ;)

Oh, and Shipperahoy... That box of chocolates is on the way. I hope you like it. :P

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 24th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Yup, they probably are. And as soon as I get reprimanded by a mod for being "tactless", I will be more than happy to quiet down. At least for a while. ;)

But sometimes, being all sugar and spice doesn't communicate a point.
Just because you haven't been reprimanded doesn't mean you and a few others, for the that matter, haven't been unnecessarily rude. I find it very ironic that you listed a set of rules you would like to be followed and you don't follow them. Respecting your fellow posters being foremost on your list.

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
I would like to think that I haven't jumped all over anyone and that if I did, I hope the Mods (or anyone else, for that matter) would jump all over me.

The Mods have the power and authority to tell us when we our out-of-line for whatever reason, individually or collectively. However, I think it makes for a better "community" when the members can discuss amongst themselves.
The key would be discuss. I saw in another thread where someone had posted something wrong and was just cruxified for at least 15 posts even though the moderator had corrected the mistake within 2 minutes and 3 posts into the thread. It was totally unnecessary and I really felt bad for the girl. If I were her, I wouldn't blame her for never posting here again.

Shipperahoy
July 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM
All mods are different of course but my preference is that if someone feels that a post is out of line that they bring it to a mod and let the mod take care of it. We can usually deal with it privately with just the party involved and it's much quicker and quieter. For small stuff such as when people give spoilers without warning then I personally don't see a problem with another member advising that person that it is against forum rules and that way it gives them to chance to make the edits themselves. Of course it's all in the wording though. I should probably clarify that it be a gentle nudge and not a knock over the head. If someone is a repeat offender then that should be brought to a mod's attention. But I also should say that I don't mind if people just come directly to me with any kind of complaint. People shouldn't feel like they're required to police the forum because that's the mods jobs. Again that's just my view of it.

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM
All mods are different of course but my preference is that if someone feels that a post is out of line that they bring it to a mod and let the mod take care of it.
I have begun to do that (mainly for spoiler reasons). Civil disagreements I can handle, but I don't want to give the impression of "kocking down" someone in public, especially if someone is a new poster. It could ruin their fun and excitement about the show and/or forum and I don't want to do that to anyone. I'm not saying I've never given off that impression, I just never intended it and have never been told (as of yet) that I have.

OTOH, some people will always interpret a difference in opinion as an attack and other people will "kick a horse when it's down" (i.e., not read the whole thread before posting :rolleyes: ). Not sure there is anything that could be done to prevent that. People - including myself - just have to constantly learn to accept and move on.

I just hope that if the mods get annoyed at me whining, they'll tell me. :D

ShadowMaat
July 24th, 2004, 01:29 PM
I just hope that if the mods get annoyed at me whining, they'll tell me. :D
Yep. I count on that, too, especially since my definition of excessive doesn't necessarily match other peoples. ;) The mods here are usually good about that sort of thing. :P

Anyway, I'll come back when the thread has stopped being about dumping on each other and has gone back to being happy and fluffy and constructive.

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Anyway, I'll come back when the thread has stopped being about dumping on each other and has gone back to being happy and fluffy and constructive.
I thought I was being constructive? I don't do "fluffy". ;)

Sam & Jack Shipper
July 24th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Yep. I count on that, too, especially since my definition of excessive doesn't necessarily match other peoples. ;) The mods here are usually good about that sort of thing. :P

The thread was being constructive. Trying to get people to realize how they come across to people is not dumping on them. But if you are the type of person that can dish it out but not able to take it, then I guess you would feel it is dumping. I didn't intend it that way. :cool:

Feli
July 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Should "stroke the mods' egos" be one of the rules? :D
It is a rule and it's high time you realized that! ;)

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 02:21 PM
It is a rule and it's high time you realized that! ;)
Mea culpa. :o I was planning on baking a cake today, but shipping will be a problem. Can I not just offer a piece in some kind of ceremony? Maybe a sacrifice? :D

Kidding aside, I've been lurking on Stargate forums for years and years and for some unknown reason started posting during the last season or two. Aside from the fact that Delphi drove me absolutely batty, I've always been fond of the GW community, even with the occasional bump or bruise. I do believe that the mods are highly responsible for that and not in an overly in-our-face way. There is a lot to be said about gentle guidance...and a big stick! ;)

Feli
July 24th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Seconding everything Shipperahoy said!

We're 8 mods in a forum of over 1,800 members - you do the math... . We simply can't spot every spoiler, every mistake, every duplicate thread, every insult right away. So as long as we're talking 'minor offences' we do appreciate regulars helping newbies onto the right track - but always (and I can't stress this enough) in a nice and polite manner! Rudeness towards fellow forum members will only result in you being modded.

As for serious stuff, please contact one or all of the mods; after all we get paid the magic beans to handle such issues.

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 02:36 PM
We're 8 mods in a forum of over 1,800 members - you do the math...
There are only eight of you? :eek: Better bake a considerably bigger cake now... :D

Bagpuss
July 25th, 2004, 02:41 AM

We're 8 mods in a forum of over 1,800 members - you do the math... . We simply can't spot every spoiler, every mistake, every duplicate thread, every insult right away. So as long as we're talking 'minor offences' we do appreciate regulars helping newbies onto the right track - but always (and I can't stress this enough) in a nice and polite manner! Rudeness towards fellow forum members will only result in you being modded.

As for serious stuff, please contact one or all of the mods; after all we get paid the magic beans to handle such issues.

Noted,Feli and Shipperahoy ! :D
I think Anthro Girl may need to bake a very BIG cake to keep you all going,as "Magic Beans" don't sound very sustaining ! ;)

Bagpuss
July 25th, 2004, 02:45 AM
There are only eight of you? :eek: Better bake a considerably bigger cake now... :D

*Whispers * "Psst ! Need any food-tasters ?" ;)

Feli
July 25th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Just to make sure, it is a chocolate cake, right?

Feli
July 25th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Noted,Feli and Shipperahoy ! :D
I think Anthro Girl may need to bake a very BIG cake to keep you all going,as "Magic Beans" don't sound very sustaining ! ;)
No, they aren't. Especially since I have yet to receive any...

*directs at pointed look at Darren and taps fingers impatiently*

Anthro Girl
July 25th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Just to make sure, it is a chocolate cake, right?
Well...close. It is a yellow cake with mocha buttercream frosting. Dogs can't eat chocolate, so if it were all chocolate, they coudn't do their "pre-wash" duties on the plates. ;)

However, just for you, I'll sprinkle chocolate chunks over the top. :D

David
July 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Count me in for a slice! lol

Feli
July 26th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Well...close. It is a yellow cake with mocha buttercream frosting. Dogs can't eat chocolate, so if it were all chocolate, they coudn't do their "pre-wash" duties on the plates. ;)

However, just for you, I'll sprinkle chocolate chunks over the top. :D
Uhm...

*re-reads the part about dogs licking the plate*

Maybe I'm not as keen on cake as I thought I'd be...

tera'ngan
July 26th, 2004, 07:29 AM
To All:
**When stating an opinion,be careful to state it as opinion . Not Fact !**

For a start,that's actually setting a challenge to other Posters,and should the "Fact" be wrong,...boy,will you feel sheepish ! ;)

Secondly,sometimes being blunt and to the point can come across as rude,even if that wasn't the intention !

I'm going to add a "part B" to this, if you don't mind :D

If someone DOES state an opinion and makes it clear that it is their personal opinion, don't argue with them!
Disagree, yes.
Discuss, yes.
Debate, absolutely!
Clarify positions, yes.
Laugh at them (respectfully :p )? Okay, they may deserve it! ;)
Tell them they are wrong? Fast way to not make any friends.

Just a pet peeve of mine that I have noticed on many different bboards, but including this one. It seems some posters don't know the difference between "debate" and "argue."

-tera'ngan

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Uhm...

*re-reads the part about dogs licking the plate*

Maybe I'm not as keen on cake as I thought I'd be...
LOL Feli! It's okay...they lick the plate after you eat it...and we'll use paper plates! :D

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Just a pet peeve of mine that I have noticed on many different bboards, but including this one. It seems some posters don't know the difference between "debate" and "argue."
That's so true in real life, even. Some people interpret "debate" as "fight"...:S

I can't swear I've never popped into a thread and just said "that's stupid"...but I sure hope I left a :p behind!

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I'm going to add a "part B" to this, if you don't mind :D
-tera'ngan
I don't mind at all ! :D Excellent ideas,IMO ! :cool:

I love all things GateWorld,but if I feel the tone of any Thread has soured badly,then I often either bypass the heat, refuse to take sides,or avoid the topic discussed altogether.

I don't enjoy arguments and hostility,as frankly,there's more than enough of that in real life .

Maybe I'm just a fool to ask for "Forum friendship",but hey,there's no harm in asking ! ;)

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 09:26 AM

I am going to say here as a *Regular* poster in a few selected threads :D that I know that the Mods can't be everywhere and I know that I am capable of directing a poor lost poster who might have wondered inadvertly into the wrong thread and EGADS was so shocked they felt that they MUST post something somewhat negative to express that shock and LO and Behold they were in a *protected* thread :D

One of the things that we as Forum posters need to remember is that this IS the internet and it does connect AROUND THE WORLD..so that means many different customs, many different views on the world and how to interact.

One of the things I am guilty of is being at times a bit too *Thin Skinned* and I can take things a bit to personally. In reality if you do take a step back before you post that irate post at someone and really think about if that person is coming AT you or just expressing themselves in a blunt manner that you don't really appreciate, you may find that the anger may dissipate a bit. :)

It goes both ways though - for those of us that try to follow the rules - By putting in spoiler space. and all the other things listed
We need to remember that not everyone reads and writes English as a first language and there are bound to be HUGE mistakes. Gentle reminders are always better then 2X4's to the face. :S :)

I feel like I should break out in a John Lennon song :eek:
I think the original gist of FHB's post was the fact that common courtesy was something that Gate World Forum seemed to have Head and Shoulders above other forums and before things even looked like they could go a different way she called attetion to it. Good Job FHB!!! :D
One of the reasons I have stayed in this forum while leaving the others I was a member of is because of the courtesy extended here!

David
July 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Well said, Tame, all of it. It is always important to remember that the internet spreads the world over. There are, unfortunately, from time to time folks that do sign up to cause a stir with their usernames and things that they say. But like I've also said before, it's nice that that kind of behavior is at a minimal. Makes things a lot of fun around here.

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Which is something I will NEVER understand :D Why sign on JUST to cause trouble <big shoulder shrug>.. But then again I am still in a quandry over 8 Hot Dogs in a package and 10 Hot Dog buns. I can only solve one world problem a day :D

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM
To David. Post #63 :

I'll second that,David ! :D
Fun,friendship, and the best Stargate,SG-1,and SG Atlantis Site/Forum around,....if we keep that mix ,then most Posters will enjoy themselves .
Hooray for GW ! :cool:

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Which is something I will NEVER understand :D Why sign on JUST to cause trouble <big shoulder shrug>.. But then again I am still in a quandry over 8 Hot Dogs in a package and 10 Hot Dog buns. I can only solve one world problem a day :D

That is one of the great mysteries of the universe. Like where do socks go when you put 3 pair in the dryer and only 5 socks come out? Some things we'll never know.

keshou
July 26th, 2004, 09:54 AM
One of the things I am guilty of is being at times a bit too *Thin Skinned* and I can take things a bit to personally. In reality if you do take a step back before you post that irate post at someone and really think about if that person is coming AT you or just expressing themselves in a blunt manner that you don't really appreciate, you may find that the anger may dissipate a bit. :)
Yep, thanks for listing that one. I'm guilty of that too -- I take everything personally. But frankly sometimes it's really hard to tell if you're being intentionally slapped down or the other person is just blunt. When that happens I usually just leave the thread and stop participating. I really dislike confrontation and conflict, especially in fandom which is supposed to be fun. I'm with F.H. Bagpuss on this one, I guess.

One of the reasons I have stayed in this forum while leaving the others I was a member of is because of the courtesy extended here!
I agree. In addition the reason I like this forum is I think there's a good mix of all types of fans. Shipper, non-shippers, Jack fans, Daniel fans, Sam fans, Jonas fans, etc. seem to be fairly well represented (although boy, those shippers sure can post fast!). I enjoy reading different perspectives on the show, even though I may not share them. I just don't want to fight about them. :D

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM
*Munch* Wassat ,Shipperahoy ? Sorry,couldn't resist filching a Virtual Hot Dog from Tame ! :D
(That'll confuse her math even more ! ;)

In answer to the sock question : Chaos theory,or possibly everyone has a domestic Black Hole ....I can guarantee odd socks in every family wash. :(

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM
ACK...now I have to START all over again...should have known better than to leave my hot dogs here ....mmumble grumble :) Yes Love you Too FHB :)...... Ahhh so that explains that dark roaring spinning thing in my laundry room ...silly me I thought it was called the dryer :D........

And Kes.....We shippers have the nibblest fingers this side of the equator....speed typing 101 a must for all self respecting shipper s :D

Tame

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Well ,now you know why I'm not present in the Shipper Ranks,Tame .
I failed Typing 101 ! :o

Passed "Food Holding and mischief" 101,though ....... ;)

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 10:14 AM
That is one of the great mysteries of the universe. Like where do socks go when you put 3 pair in the dryer and only 5 socks come out? Some things we'll never know.
Like why I park in a driveway and drive on a parkway? :D I don't know what your problem is. I have thirty pairs of socks...unmatched, but they're pairs! :p

Back /on: I try not to take anything personally. I don't, after all, really know anyone here...yet. However, if the blood starts to boil or you start to feel flush, the best advice given has been to step away from the computer...slowly...keeping your hands where we can see them. :D

Ugly Pig
July 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM
But then again I am still in a quandry over 8 Hot Dogs in a package and 10 Hot Dog buns. I can only solve one world problem a day :D
Why, that's because two of the buns will inevitably crumble apart when you remove them from the package. You should be thankful they're considerate enough to include replacements! :D

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Why, that's because two of the buns will inevitably crumble apart when you remove them from the package. You should be thankful they're considerate enough to include replacements! :D
OOOHHHH Well then I am forever grateful to the manufactors of the Hot DOg bun...Thank you for solving that world issue so quickly...NEXT?!!

Tame

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Like why I park in a driveway and drive on a parkway? :D I don't know what your problem is. I have thirty pairs of socks...unmatched, but they're pairs! :p

Back /on: I try not to take anything personally. I don't, after all, really know anyone here...yet. However, if the blood starts to boil or you start to feel flush, the best advice given has been to step away from the computer...slowly...keeping your hands where we can see them. :D

I am taking THAT advice more and more... Plus I am really *trying* to learn NOT to take things to heart. :D and I really think the smilies help alot IMO.... they take the edge off a statement that might otherwise be a bit sharp.

My son has been a big help as well he constantly says to me "Mom, you really don't know any of these people BUT if you did meet one on the street would you want them to smile or run screaming?" So I try to remember that when I reply :D

FHB...I wanna got to your School:D

Tame

Ugly Pig
July 26th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Thank you for solving that world issue so quickly...NEXT?!!
Yer welcome. Next week I'm doing a cure for cancer and world hunger. :)

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Yer welcome. Next week I'm doing a cure for cancer and world hunger. :)
Bah-dump-dump! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)

Ugly Pig
July 26th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Bah-dump-dump! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)
Why do people always do that when I say something? :S

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Like why I park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

I know I've heard that on a movie or a t.v. show somewhere. Or maybe it was in a book. Now it's going to drive me bonkers trying to figure out where I first heard that.

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 11:32 AM
(Snipped)
My son has been a big help as well he constantly says to me "Mom, you really don't know any of these people BUT if you did meet one on the street would you want them to smile or run screaming?" So I try to remember that when I reply :D

FHB...I wanna got to your School:D

Tame

Good advice from your son,Tame . Worth bearing in mind, and a good "Rule",IMO. :cool: (On-Topic response,....I got there,lol)

O.T : You did tell your son I'm human,right ? ;)
My school ? The Optimism Academy ALWAYS welcomes new members,but I thought you were already a graduate ! :D

David
July 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Also off-topic (sorry, I'm bad). One of my favorite websites:
http://www.demotivators.com

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 11:47 AM
That's great! What a riot. And at first glance it looks legitimate until you actually really read it. And now David has suceeded in dragging me off-topic. Not that it took much. ;)

On topic, on topic, on topic. Um... I'll get back to you. Bad mod. Bad.

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Good advice from your son,Tame . Worth bearing in mind, and a good "Rule",IMO. :cool: (On-Topic response,....I got there,lol)

O.T : You did tell your son I'm human,right ? ;)
My school ? The Optimism Academy ALWAYS welcomes new members,but I thought you were already a graduate ! :D
Totally off topic to brag on my son :)
I pat myself periodically on the back that my son is so cool :D My daughter is cool too (they are twins, must be equal their rule not mine )

Why yes I DID graduate from The Optimism Academy... I was talking about that class Food handling and Mischief 101......is this that class where you guys are throwing all that food around........:D

David checked out that web site ROFL...too funny!!!!

Tame

nugglebugget
July 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Actually,I think the "sock puzzle" was solved by that "camera phone" commercial.Some lady finds that little guy ransacking her dryer for socks & she gets him on camera,stuffing them down his pants & everything:D .

Back on topic,I love this place!Even when some topics get a bit heated,I've noticed that it's never really gotten as bad as some other places.GW is a very comfortable place to post,as far as I'm concerned:) .

I would like to add another "posting no-no".It's not a very good idea to get on the computer & post if you've had one too many.I've not done it myself as I don't drink[I'm naturally loopy:rolleyes: ],but,the potential for disaster is there.The potential for a good laugh is there too,but still,a good way to get into trouble.Ditto for phone use as well:D

nugglebugget
July 26th, 2004, 12:26 PM
What about the really clutzy people who drop the hot dog on the floor before it makes it to the bun?:S You still have an extra bun.
Don't give me that bit about the "2 second rule" either;it doesn't apply to damp objects:D .That & with our cat,it's a goner any way...

ShadowMaat
July 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Also off-topic (sorry, I'm bad). One of my favorite websites:
http://www.demotivators.com
I still think that the "Pretension" one was written with McKay in mind. ;) Or, at least, it suits him perfectly.

I wonder if Nola still has that pic of "Futility" which subs in Sam & Jack in the elevator scene from Chimera... :P

Warm fuzzy thoughts and at least vaguely on topic...

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I know I've heard that on a movie or a t.v. show somewhere. Or maybe it was in a book. Now it's going to drive me bonkers trying to figure out where I first heard that.
Hate it when that happens. ;) I first saw it in an email joke being circulated c. 1993, so who knows where else it has turned up.

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 01:12 PM
What about the really clutzy people who drop the hot dog on the floor before it makes it to the bun?:S You still have an extra bun.
Don't give me that bit about the "2 second rule" either;it doesn't apply to damp objects:D .That & with our cat,it's a goner any way...
Well, Here I thought that I could FINALLY move on to the Worlds NEXT big problem and then you had to throw THAT in the MIX....sheesh :D

okay now I am back to square one......and to top it off totally off topic :)

Tame

Bagpuss
July 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Friendship is a forum rule though,isn't it ,Tame ? ;)

TameFarrar
July 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Friendship is a forum rule though,isn't it ,Tame ? ;)
TOTALLY Ms Bagpuss....totally ;) :) :D
with a dash of tolerance :)
Tame

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
July 26th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to approach the whole "Respect to the actors/writers/etc" rule--

A rule which I think is absolutely key to a friendly forum, by the way.

But take, for example, the introduction of a new character that many fans find boring. There's no real way to say that the character was boring without implying that the actor made it that way (and, arguably, the writers, but we don't need to get into that).

I know there's no clear distinction, but I'm interested in how different arguments come across to other posters. Because being able to discuss the show critically is what lots of viewers come to the forum for, so we can't just avoid criticism altogether...

(I, for one, think GW is quite good about this sort of thing on the whole.)

ShadowMaat
July 26th, 2004, 05:04 PM
But take, for example, the introduction of a new character that many fans find boring. There's no real way to say that the character was boring without implying that the actor made it that way (and, arguably, the writers, but we don't need to get into that).
There's a difference between saying "I don't like the way that character is written/acted" and saying "X is a worthless hack who should be sent back to remedial school and not allowed any pointy objects". ;) It's all in the wording. You can complain about something without being degrading.

Incidentally, the anti-Canadian crap is seriously starting to grate on my nerves...

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM
It is a fine line but as Shadow said it's all in the way your opinion is expressed. Not everyone is going to like every character and they should be allowed to express that. And t.v. is a public forum. Anytime they produce something for the masses it puts itself out there for criticism and as long as it's constructive criticism and not actor/writer bashing then it's o.k.

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 06:34 PM
People can find any character boring, stupid, idiotic, crazy, uninspiring, braindead or brilliant...and I would defend their right to do so. ;) As others have pointed out, it's all in the way it is worded and/or directed.

Not all characters are perfectly written, directed or portrayed. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with criticising - or critiquing (sp?) - an actor's or director's performance (or anyone's, for that matter) as long as it's done with some intelligence and critical thought. Saying "I hate <insert actor or character name here>" does not count as intelligence and critical thought unless the author makes some (considerable) effort to back that statement up with some critical analysis of the performance. It also helps if they're able to engage in thoughtful debate. :p

It also requires that the critic recognize - and acknowledge - that ultimately it's all a matter of opinion, not fact. ;) If a character doesn't "work" for you for whatever reason (actor, lighting, hair, costume, etc.), then it doesn't work...period. There doesn't really have to be an objective reason. Somebody out there obviously loves Lexx :eek: ...so who am I to care about it? :D

Feli
July 27th, 2004, 02:49 AM
LOL Feli! It's okay...they lick the plate after you eat it...and we'll use paper plates! :D
I have to eat the plate???

;)

Bagpuss
July 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Meep ! :eek: I'm sure even you overworked and underappreciated Mods aren't THAT hungry....I'd probably lick the plate myself ,though .(I looooove cake. ;) )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back to On-Topic ! :o
Another good-conduct rule.In the official set too.

When directly "Modded",folks,accept the Mod's decision.It's final.If you (general "you" ,btw) disagree,then keep it polite and civil.Take a good look at your offending Post and see what you've done to deserve Mod intervention.It may be in your wording, your overall attitude to other Posters, or other things.

No good getting personal, ........that way leads to the Dark Side ,and worse,a stronger Moderation. Not a good path,IMO ! :eek:

I'm "just saying",that's all.No personal attacks, or snideness intended, nor implied . :D
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
Edited to add: I've just done a bit of peacemaking in a certain Thread. Wondering already if I should have just left well alone ! Ho-Hum ! :o Who'd be a Mod ...tough job ,IMO.

David
July 27th, 2004, 05:52 AM
And just think, FH isn't a mod. ;)

Sure sounds like one :). Good job, FH. Talk it like a pro :)

Bagpuss
July 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Aggghhh ! I lack the coolness of decision,the knowledge, and sheer style you lovely Mods possess ! :eek:
Heck,I couldn't even go into a debate on BlueVGreen on the old forum, without pondering the true colour ,and looking up "Turquoise" in the dictionary...that's true,btw ! :D
I also lack a tool/weapon of choice...unless I threaten to send the Mice in ! ;)
That's a really useless threat anyway, as most GW Posters won't have a clue about Bagpuss,....and you already have MC !
*Sigh * No-one can compete with the Clangers. :cool:

Bagpuss
July 27th, 2004, 07:39 AM
And just think, FH isn't a mod. ;)

Sure sounds like one :). Good job, FH. Talk it like a pro :)

OK David,I've had my fun ! I have been a counsellor and also done extensive work on Fundraising Committees. Still do,in fact.
Basically, I was always the mediator,regardless of my actual position, and got lumped with all the inter-personal stuff ,and every nasty little dispute between members and tons of other probs too.
GW is way more fun than RL .At least on the Forum, everyone can chill and take a deep breath before they Post.
Here on GWF, I don't need to tie myself down instantly, to a course of action.
The difference is that Mods HAVE to ! ;)
Should you ever need a Mod,I'd recommend some excellent Posters to you,but you guys/ladies are the best judges .... I respect you all. :D

David
July 27th, 2004, 08:07 AM
In the forseeable future when our numbers grow even larger we may have no choice but to add one or two new mods. I have a few choices in mind :)

Anthro Girl
July 27th, 2004, 08:28 AM
I have to eat the plate???

;)
ROFL! Only if you feel you must... :D

And just so you don't think I'm nuts...this is not how I wash my dishes...or my dogs, for that matter. :) I did a Google image search for "prewash". :D

David
July 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Great... Now for the next few weeks I'm going to be looking at my puppy every time I pull a dish from the cabinet.

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
July 27th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Aggghhh ! I lack the coolness of decision,the knowledge, and sheer style you lovely Mods possess ! :eek:
Heck,I couldn't even go into a debate on BlueVGreen on the old forum, without pondering the true colour ,and looking up "Turquoise" in the dictionary...that's true,btw ! :D
I also lack a tool/weapon of choice...unless I threaten to send the Mice in ! ;)
That's a really useless threat anyway, as most GW Posters won't have a clue about Bagpuss,....and you already have MC !
*Sigh * No-one can compete with the Clangers. :cool:
OK: First, amen to the accepting the Mod...it's to be expected, of course, that those who've required modding in the first place are most likely to be too riled up to respond reasonably.

Second, it's green. Duh. :D

And, finally, is "modding" a viable word? Even as a gerund? ;)

Bagpuss
July 28th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Hi,VixyOwl. :D
You're probably right ,but there's no harm in appealing to other Posters. Even the ones who got riled up.(Ironic really,though,huh ? ;) )

Now about the colour...Turquoise can be blue or green ,depending on the mix within the stone,so it's regrettably most often BLUE LOL !! :D

Ha! That was fun ! :cool:

The term "Modding" may/may not be a viable word,but it'll do for me ! ;)
A "gerund" is a noun formed from a verb.....wanna play some more ?? :D

Anyway the colour we like best isn't Blue/Green/Turquoise.....it's...

YELLOW

Go Luke ! :D

TameFarrar
July 28th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Throwing in my 1 1/2 cents..the dollar is down :D
I agree as well that there is no harm is *trying* to diffuse a situation but the Mods are sometimes the ONLY way to get an unruly poster to settle down. :(

I just like the term *Modding*....saying it makes me feel young and hip....;)

I am going to go over here with the Lemon :)

Tame

Bagpuss
July 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM
"Lemon" reporting ,Tame..........I go by several names.lol !
(Gerroutofit,Oi !,HopeFool,Cheery,the list is quite extensive.... ;) )

Seriously,I agree with you.The Mods can't be everywhere,and they're the experts on calming things down. :cool:

David
July 28th, 2004, 02:23 PM
We can't always be everywhere all the time, but Reporting A Post is extremely valuable to us, and Thanks to all who submit posts that do indeed need reporting. I think our typical response time is five to ten minutes. Often I'll get to a post that has already been modded, so it is indeed nice to know that we're staying on top of things for now :)

Bagpuss
July 28th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Er,OK,David.I hope you don't mind me doing as instructed then.I need some advice. :o
"Report" sent,on the relevant problem.I hate hassling you all,but I needed to explain something. :o

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Er,OK,David.I hope you don't mind me PM-ing a Mod as instructed then.I need some advice. :o
Oh, David LOVES being pestered. And feel free not to limit it to forum/Stargate questions. "What should I wear today? The blue or the green?" "Hey, if the milk expired yesterday, is it still safe to drink?" "Oh David, I really need your help! This cute guy asked me out. Should I say yes??" :D

Bagpuss
July 28th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Obviously I'd never ask him that kind of stuff.....I have my Hubby to pester for all that ! ;)
I can't see him(Hubby) allowing me out with any Guy.No matter how "cute".
As for the milk,I'd make yoghurt ! :D

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Your loss. He was VERY cute. ;) Feel free to send him my way instead. :D

How about, "It says 'hit any key to continue' but I can't find the 'any' key! Where is it??" ;)

Will have to cull through the tech help nightmares and see if I can find some better ones...

David
July 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I stopped calling you ShadowBoy. I think it's safe to say Davey is unwarranted.

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I stopped calling you ShadowBoy. I think it's safe to say Davey is unwarranted.
Awww. :( Yes, David...

Bagpuss
July 28th, 2004, 07:17 PM
<Snipped nicely by FHB>
Will have to cull through the tech help nightmares and see if I can find some better ones...
I am a "tech help nightmare",Shadow,.....but I'm trying to achieve "I.T.Nirvana ". ;) At least I figured out how to Post in colour on my comp today.
Small victory,but I'm getting there,lol ! :)

The more I learn the better,....helps me enjoy Fandom !

Feli
July 29th, 2004, 05:05 AM
"Oh David, I really need your help! This cute guy asked me out. Should I say yes??"
Don't ask David for that. Email me a picture of the guy and I'll tell you what to do... ;)

David
July 29th, 2004, 05:50 AM
Let's keep it a girl thing, shall we?

Well, we're enjoying our fandom! :)

ShadowMaat
July 29th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Don't ask David for that. Email me a picture of the guy and I'll tell you what to do... ;)
I can see it now: "Oh, I can't tell from just a pic. Send him to Germany so I can take a better look." Uh huh. :P

Anyway, it won't be a concern of mine any time soon, so I guess the question is moot. *sniffle* :(

What if I need help figuring out what to have for dinner?

David
July 29th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Well you'll just have to make a separate post in off-topic, OK? :)

Feli
July 29th, 2004, 06:34 AM
I can see it now: "Oh, I can't tell from just a pic. Send him to Germany so I can take a better look." Uh huh.
Darn, you've figured me out...

ShadowMaat
July 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM
*scowls at David* Spoilsport. :P

So... Cliff Simon likes Gateworld, eh? That's cool. Might have to be a bit more circumspect in some of my posts if it means he's actually checking in on the forums, but at least I keep my comments PG. ;)

I wonder sometimes just who's checking out this place, but I figure it's best not to think about it too much. It's one thing to post comments all willy-nilly figuring no one will read 'em or care, but if the folks mentioned are reading... Well, I do try to keep some veneer of politeness on most of my comments. May not always do a good job of it, but I try. Even the positive stuff can sound a bit stupid. Dunno if I'd want certain folks to know what I've been saying, so I just live in a big fuzzy bubble of intentional ignorance on the subject.

As for fandom, right now I think there's a rather serious case of the crankies going around the forum. Lots of short-tempers, lots of nasty comments, lots of petty bickering. I hope it goes away soon.

TameFarrar
July 29th, 2004, 07:02 AM
I need to get out more :D

VixyOwl (~~Ani)
July 29th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Hi,VixyOwl. :D
You're probably right ,but there's no harm in appealing to other Posters. Even the ones who got riled up.(Ironic really,though,huh ? ;) )

Now about the colour...Turquoise can be blue or green ,depending on the mix within the stone,so it's regrettably most often BLUE LOL !! :D

Ha! That was fun ! :cool:

The term "Modding" may/may not be a viable word,but it'll do for me ! ;)
A "gerund" is a noun formed from a verb.....wanna play some more ?? :D

Anyway the colour we like best isn't Blue/Green/Turquoise.....it's...

YELLOW

Go Luke ! :D
Well, this may still be off-topic, but at this stage I can't tell.

FHB: That's the first time anyone has actually *told* me what the blue/green argument was! I tried to find out back on Delphi and had trouble tracking it down. I thought it had something to do with the color of BDUs or something. By the time I started going to Delphi often, it had become a metaphor for all silly arguments. So I just picked a side!

Now that I know what it's about, though, I have to change my mind, because it's a shade of blue, clearly. :D

But, yes, it's all YELLOW, lemony happiness :) :) :)
Think Dora in "Finding Nemo" : just keep modding, modding, modding...

David
July 29th, 2004, 07:48 AM
We never know who is watching. That's why it's important to always be kind and curteous, if not in agreement with someone's opinion. You never know who is staring in. I know for a fact that several of the actors, as well as producers like JM, check us out from time to time. It's always nice to keep the place positive so that they come back, and perhaps one day join us!

ShadowMaat
July 29th, 2004, 07:52 AM
And by "keep it positive" you mean being nice even when you have something negative to say and not that we shouldn't say anything negative at all, right?

Just checking so that some rabid Happy Shiny Person doesn't try and use your statement as "proof" that only Happy Thoughts are allowed. :P

TameFarrar
July 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
As a member of the *Rabid Happy Shiney People* :D:P I will make sure that I tell my Chapter that stating how you feel in a *Respectful, Polite Manner* is all that is required. All opinions and ways of expression do not and will not always be another person's cuppa.

I am always fascinated that people think that it is ok for them to have a *different view* or way of expression but are extremely intolerant of others having that SAME right :)

Tame

David
July 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM
In my humble opinion that kind of attitude goes against everything SG-1 is about.

Bagpuss
July 29th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Well, this may still be off-topic, but at this stage I can't tell.
I count this and my reply as "On-Topic"...it's fun and part of Delphi Fandom,and you asked ! ;)

FHB: That's the first time anyone has actually *told* me what the blue/green argument was! I tried to find out back on Delphi and had trouble tracking it down. I thought it had something to do with the color of BDUs or something. By the time I started going to Delphi often, it had become a metaphor for all silly arguments. So I just picked a side!
Actually the whole thing was about the colour of the Forum background ,when Starguide/GWF started out. Sorry.I should have explained that!
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Nitworld/messages/?msg=41.1

Now that I know what it's about, though, I have to change my mind, because it's a shade of blue, clearly. :D
Hmmm....or is it ! ;)

But, yes, it's all YELLOW, lemony happiness :) :) :)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/starguideforums/messages/?start=Start%20Reading

Oh,yes .The background,behind the replies,again. :)

Think Dora in "Finding Nemo" : just keep modding, modding, modding...

Duh...is Dora a fish ? (Don't worry,I'll find out.)
Anyway,yes. "Modding" is the easiest word,and best not incurred. :)
Subject answered ,Ani ! :D

TameFarrar
July 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM
In my humble opinion that kind of attitude goes against everything SG-1 is about.
David I am not following what you are responding to :)
Tame

David
July 29th, 2004, 02:34 PM
The statement prior to my answer - intolerance.

TameFarrar
July 29th, 2004, 10:11 PM
The statement prior to my answer - intolerance.
ahhh I am a little slow today after the well you know what day celebration and a bit tired.
I agree, Do you realize that almost all of the Sci-Fi shows are somewhat based on that ethic. Tolerance of all being kind (couldn't very well say man kind :) ) Yet so many of that fan base seem to have the most heated of arguments :D I almost typed fascinating again ...then realized I was sounding very Spockesque :)

Anthro Girl
July 29th, 2004, 11:30 PM
I agree, Do you realize that almost all of the Sci-Fi shows are somewhat based on that ethic. Tolerance of all being kind (couldn't very well say man kind :) ) Yet so many of that fan base seem to have the most heated of arguments :D I almost typed fascinating again ...then realized I was sounding very Spockesque :)
Fascinating. :D Actually, Cap'n Kirk could be quite intolerant: "Those Klingon b**tards, they killed my son!" :eek: :)

I try to think of the fan base as...um...passionate about their beliefs in how the "world" should be. ;) Just as with any other kind of passionate belief, discussion can get heated over what may appear to be the smallest thing, but it's obviously very important to somebody and I try to respect that. I can get passionate about the perfect roux, so who am I to judge? :D

Heated arguments can be okay as long as they don't resort to empty statements ("you suck!") and petty insults ("no, you suck!"). ;) I can always choose not to engage in debate and keep my opinions to myself. No harm done there.

(BTW, as I type this, I'm noticing the button taped to my monitor that reads: "I can see your point, but I still think you're full of sh*t." LOL!)

SeaBee
July 29th, 2004, 11:48 PM
(snipped)
I am always fascinated that people think that it is ok for them to have a *different view* or way of expression but are extremely intolerant of others having that SAME right :)

Tame

So true. I often wonder if fandom is a bit like religion. In most fan sites you have the bulk of posters, who are moderate in their views, prepared to discuss topics rationally and calmly, and look at the other persons pov. And then you have the fundamentalists, who feel that their take on a topic is the only correct way to look at it, and everybody who disagrees is a total ......................... (insert expletives as required).

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 12:04 AM
So true. I often wonder if fandom is a bit like religion. In most fan sites you have the bulk of posters, who are moderate in their views, prepared to discuss topics rationally and calmly, and look at the other persons pov. And then you have the fundamentalists, who feel that their take on a topic is the only correct way to look at it, and everybody who disagrees is a total ......................... (insert expletives as required).
Heh...fanatics and fundamentalists....

I would posit that fandom is every bit like religion and therefore subject to all the variations you mention and more. You got your moderate fans, fundamentalists fans, practicing fans, recovering fans...you get the idea. ;) "Fan", after all, is short/slang for "fanatic".

SeaBee
July 30th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Heh...fanatics and fundamentalists....

I would posit that fandom is every bit like religion and therefore subject to all the variations you mention and more. You got your moderate fans, fundamentalists fans, practicing fans, recovering fans...you get the idea. ;) "Fan", after all, is short/slang for "fanatic".

Of course, fandom hasn't killed millions in its name. ............ Yet. :)

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 01:00 AM
Of course, fandom hasn't killed millions in its name. ............ Yet. :)
Who says? There are millions of dead Stormtroopers, Jaffa, Borg, Romulans and Chest-Bursters, not to mention the odd Red Shirt or Tok'ra Leather Mama now and then. :D

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Fandom has killed individuals in the past, though. I have vague memories of some guy killing (or attempting to kill) his girlfriend because of some disagreement over a character on Buffy...

David
July 30th, 2004, 06:15 AM
It's done similar things in our Fandom as well - not because of the fandom, but people within it, certainly. While I was at Gatecon a Stargate fan tried to slit her wrists...

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Yeek. I slit my wrist once, but that was an accident. Stupid sharp box corner...

I just can't see getting that worked up over a TV show. Hope the girl is OK. There's definitely a darker side to most fandoms, but hopefully the cherrier stuff wins out.

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 06:47 AM
I sincerely hope this girl is ok...... I think that is taking fandom a bit to far or she really must have felt that no one was *hearing * her.

I have to agree with all of the sentiments expressed by both Anthro Girl and Sea Bee, that for the most part fans are able to articulate thoughts and views in a moderate, respect way and engage in conversation and debate. But people do get passionate about their beliefs and their opinions.

Most people are able to deal with discussion when their thoughts and views are disagreed with in a thoughtful manner.

Attacking the person's views or opinions just invites animosity and creates hostility.

Which brings this whole discussion full circle, I think a number of posters have already given numerous pointers on how to express an opposing viewpoint without attacking the original poster. Suggested ways to add visual humor to the typed word so you know if you are being called an idiot for real or in jest :)

And the Mods are running around Modding (just wanted to say that word really bad )
Unfortunately, I think we are the only ones in here reading what we are typing :(

David
July 30th, 2004, 07:06 AM
You're right. We're preaching to the choir.

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 07:13 AM
As long as no one hears me sing we will all be fine :D

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM
David seems to think he has a good singing voice, maybe we should leave that bit up to him. :P

David
July 30th, 2004, 07:41 AM
What does that have to do with enjoying Fandom? :)

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Singing the praises of fandom, that's very on topic. :P

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 07:56 AM
David....choir....singing....:)
Tame ->singing = very bad

Shadow saving the day by bringing it all back on topic = very funny :D

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Yeah! Take THAT, Mr. Snarkypants! :P

As for showing appreciation, I sent off a letter to DDL, didn't I? It was all very nice and polite and friendly and supportive...

I sent a letter to Joe and Paul, once. Included diplomas honoring them as genuine Super Villains. They probably never got 'em, but it's the thought that counts. ;)

I speak out when something bothers me and offer praise when I like something. Hopefully that's good, too.

I also really enjoy being here and interacting with my fellow fans, despite the efforts of SOME individuals who're trying to dampen my spirits. :P

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 09:39 AM
You're right. We're preaching to the choir.
Yah...<group hug>! Now let's go out and kick some butt! ;)

p.s. Lollipops to Tame for using the word "modding".

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 09:48 AM
love lollipops....helps me keep my mouth shut when I get silly emails asking me very silly questions at work......trust me...it works :)

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Sounds a good method of self-control in RL,Tame ! ;)

On Topic :To all.
More seriously,how much does our real life hassle affect our Forum attitudes ?

I know that if I'm having a really bad time in RL,I tend to Post as little as possible,or find some lighter Threads to frolic in . :)

I tend to give other Posters some sympathy,if they're having a bad day and admit to it on-forum,but none of us are telepathic !

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Well,Anthro Girl did the group hug thing ,so do you Choristers need a nice cup of tea ?

FHB: Tea-lady to the Thread......well,good enough for me. I'm good at tea and sympathy ! ;)

Now,who needs ear-plugs for when I start howl....SINGING with Tame ? :D

Shipperahoy
July 30th, 2004, 11:09 AM
And now for a rousing rendition of Kung Fu Fighting. Who can be in a bad mood while singing that?

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 11:15 AM
"RrrrrwwWooooWwwwwwwwwwL " OK.GW'ers don't say you weren't warned.
Go for it Choir ! Um ,Choir ??? Choir ?....Ho-Hum !

:: Slinks away ::

Maybe you lot don't need a rendition in "Cat" ........ ;)

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 11:58 AM
And now for a rousing rendition of Kung Fu Fighting. Who can be in a bad mood while singing that?
Curses, you! Now I have to live with that in my head all day?!? :eek:

<searches memory bank for Wham! tune for revenge...> ;)

keshou
July 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM
<searches memory bank for Wham! tune for revenge...> ;)

Too tempting....*clears throat and dons the tight shorts*

Wake me up before you go-go
Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo
I don't want to miss it when you hit that high
'Cause I'm not plannin' on going solo
Take me dancing tonight
I wanna hit that high (yeah, yeah)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Anthro Girl
July 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Too tempting....*clears throat and dons the tight shorts*

I don't want to miss it when you hit that high
'Cause I'm not plannin' on going solo
Take me dancing tonight
I wanna hit that high (yeah, yeah)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
ARRRRRRRRRRGHHH! :eek: :S :eek: <slams head against keyboard and suffers overwhelming urge for blue eyeshadow and hair mousse>

Oh YEAH...we're enjoying fandom now, aren't we? :mad:

:D

Shipperahoy
July 30th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Wham is nothing. They have a 80's lunch hour on the local radio station and they played that Mickey song and now it won't go away.

Hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind. Hey Mickey!

Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkk!

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 12:25 PM
ARRRRRRRRRRGHHH! :eek: :S :eek: <slams head against keyboard and suffers overwhelming urge for blue eyeshadow and hair mousse>

Oh YEAH...we're enjoying fandom now, aren't we? :mad:

:D
I think in this case we are enjoying ......."Wham-dom"

be- bum- bum ....:D

sorry I couldn't stop myself

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Sheesh.....and I thought Kung-Fu Fighting in CAT was bad ?
Wham and Toni Basil ???????? :eek:
:: Pours custard on Tame for the "Wham-Dom"....:: :D
Mind you,if any Actors or PTB read any of all this,then it's probably going to look like a Fun Forum Thread,at least !

Let's be honest,we're usually like THIS all the time !

Should anyone from the Shows read this....

:D :D :D Welcome to GateWorld !!! :D :D :D

:) (We welcome everyone else too .) :)

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 01:38 PM
It just shows what a fun and nice bunch we really are :D ... please tell me that grin doesn't look as cheesy as I sound

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Oh,yes,Tame .We are indeed a fun bunch . :D
Slightly manic,sometimes actually serious,and almost always able to "Enjoy our Fandom".
No "Cheese"....unless it's finest Cheddar. ;)

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 01:49 PM
ahhh I see you are trying to use me to catch a *cheap* dinner again :D

Ugly Pig
July 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM
[etc.]
Oh, yes... Some mighty fine poetry there... :D

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 01:59 PM
please tell me that grin doesn't look as cheesy as I sound
No cheesier than a Barbie doll. Maybe even less so. :P

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 02:05 PM
No cheesier than a Barbie doll. Maybe even less so. :P
So you WANT me to have a new signature picture :D :P
:cool: the answer to your next question would be ......yes :D I would :p

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 02:13 PM
I could retaliate... but David would accuse me of going off topic again. :P

Y'know, I've kinda been wondering if Joe & Paul ever got those certificate things. And if they took them in the good spirit in which they were intended.

Umm... *tries to think of something on topic-y*

This is the thread that never ends
Yes it goes on and on my friends
Some people started chatting here not knowing what it was
And they'll continue chatting here forever just because...

Not one of my better efforts, but it's annoying and vaguely topical. :P

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 02:25 PM
ok well now you just made me feel bad for trying to be Shadowesque.....I do not have the required evil :P

I however feel that Fandom is the just a joy to many and am glad to be a part of it. Oy but it is on topic :D

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 02:52 PM
:: Stunned by Shadow's Poem....::
*Re-reads it *
Wow...not bad Shadow ! Better than Wham,and On-Topic too . :D

We'll be coming up with Mantras next....or maybe not ! ;)

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 05:38 PM
:: Stunned by Shadow's Poem....::
*Re-reads it *
Wow...not bad Shadow ! Better than Wham,and On-Topic too . :D

We'll be coming up with Mantras next....or maybe not ! ;)
Hanging my head in shame that you were nice and complimented Shadow's poem and I went the comedy route. :o

It really is a nice Poem :)

ShadowMaat
July 30th, 2004, 05:50 PM
It's actually a song. The Song That Never Ends. Lambchop used to sing it. It goes in a continual loop, forever and ever. :D

Of course, I changed a few words along the way... ;)

My original poetry writing skills suck. Which is why I adapt.

TameFarrar
July 30th, 2004, 05:54 PM
My original writing skills leave much to be desired. Which is why I Beta ;)

So where are we supposed to take this thread Now??? :)

Bagpuss
July 30th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I can't write proper poetry,but I enjoy reading it.

OK,where do we go from here, then ? :)

::MUST stop messing about and cease with Maxims/sayings and the Mantras::

I have ideas ....but I'm tired .

Cool thinking required . :)

nugglebugget
July 31st, 2004, 07:33 AM

I would've joined in on your choir,but my children made me promise that I'd never sing or dance in public again....ever!

I just checked.....they said the internet counts as "public" so I still can't.

They didn't say anything about humming though:p .....mmmmmmm-mm-mmm

*can't even hum in tune.....so what,I'm still enjoying our "fandom"!*:D :D

Bagpuss
August 1st, 2004, 01:29 AM
Hi,nugglebugget. :D Kids can be so picky......my two love Stargate,but they don't like me talking about the Show, with their teachers !(Well,these people are fans too.and they started the convos ! :cool: )

Hmmm ! So you're still allowed to "hum" ? ;)
Ok ! Time for some "Group Humming", then ?? :D
Now,I haven't a clue what the Atlantis theme sounds like,yet,so we'll have to stick with the "SG-1" theme........ ;)

nugglebugget
August 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM
I guess you could say "GW" fandom is......"Hum-worthy":D .

ShadowMaat
August 1st, 2004, 07:53 AM
Nicely tied in, nuggle. ;)

This is definitely the best place out there for my needs, anyway. Other people have things as an anti-drug, I have Gateworld as my anti-life. :D

Incidentally, there's yet another David in the Stargate clan, now. David Nykl, who plays Dr. Z in Atlantis (hope that isn't a spoiler). I'll have to get veneticuss to translate something into Czech for me for that nickname...

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM
This is definitely the best place out there for my needs, anyway. Other people have things as an anti-drug, I have Gateworld as my anti-life. :D
Ditto on that, Shadow. Life is complicated. I don't really drink, so Gateworld it is! :D

Incidentally, there's yet another David in the Stargate clan, now. ...
DavidGate???

TameFarrar
August 1st, 2004, 09:57 AM
I guess you could say "GW" fandom is......"Hum-worthy":D .
OH Nuggle...don't ask me why but I laughed myself silly over this...Thank you ...great way to start my day :D

ShadowMaat
August 1st, 2004, 10:31 AM
DavidGate???
*sigh* As if his ego wasn't big enough already. ;) (she says, carefully avoiding mention of to whom she is referring)

David
August 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
OOh, slick.

Madeleine
August 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM
So where are we supposed to take this thread Now??? :)

You could go back to Stroking The Mods' Egos. I was on holiday for all that, and now I'm back...

ShadowMaat
August 1st, 2004, 09:00 PM
You could go back to Stroking The Mods' Egos.
Nah, been there, done that.

Causing strokes in the Mods, now that's another possibility...

TameFarrar
August 1st, 2004, 09:28 PM
You could go back to Stroking The Mods' Egos. I was on holiday for all that, and now I'm back...
Oh Madeline...so sorry you missed that :)...holiday you say....my did you lose weight...did you get that tan.......your skin shines......;)....

oy...that was easier than I thought :) I was sincere...really ;)

TameFarrar
August 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Nah, been there, done that.

and yet another fine laugh to end my day.....THAT is what this thread is now being used for :D

Madeleine
August 1st, 2004, 09:36 PM
Thank you Tame. :D :) :D

Shadow, :p :p :p and :p

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 09:49 PM
You missed that? Bummer. ;) Consider your ego stroked! :D

Shipperahoy
August 1st, 2004, 10:25 PM
Hope you had a good time Madeline. There was some mention of a chocolate cake for the mods but I've seen neither hide nor hair of it. I'm beginning to think that it was all just an ugly ruse. ;)

Anthro Girl
August 1st, 2004, 11:03 PM
Hope you had a good time Madeline. There was some mention of a chocolate cake for the mods but I've seen neither hide nor hair of it. I'm beginning to think that it was all just an ugly ruse. ;)
There was cake! I swear! I tried to get it to you, but it started oozing out of the envelopes and I got arrested at the post office. :eek: :p

TameFarrar
August 1st, 2004, 11:41 PM
There was cake! I swear! I tried to get it to you, but it started oozing out of the envelopes and I got arrested at the post office. :eek: :p
OH That was you trying to shove all those Brown gooey envelopes in the box..... ;)

SeaBee
August 2nd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Ahhh. Food fight by post. :p :D

There's some cake left at the SFA thread. :)

Anthro Girl
August 2nd, 2004, 01:21 AM
OH That was you trying to shove all those Brown gooey envelopes in the box..... ;)
Yeah, that was me. :rolleyes: The postal workers saw me with all the gooey envelopes and said something about contraband. I told them it was cake and they said they had to "inspect" them. They all put up their "Next Window Please" signs and disappeared for about an hour... :p (as is custom in the Post Office whenever I show up...the disappearing, that is) :D

Bagpuss
August 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Righto Choir ! Our mission apparently is..........to gain justice (and cake) at the Post Office ??! :confused:
Anyway,if there's any sludge left,can I have some ,please ? ;)

Just kidding ! Enjoy your fandom ? You betcha ! ;)

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Don't mess with the post office. You may never see your mail again. ;)

home-made fudge, now that's the good stuff. Especially when it's still slightly warm from the oven... melt in your mouth chocolaty goodness. Yumm...

TameFarrar
August 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Oh I so like fudge....but just the thought of so much sugar has my teeth aching :D...but it is oh oh oh so good :)

Ugly Pig
August 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
I don't say this often, but:

LOL!! :D

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
I need all the fattening up I can get. ;) The more sugar, the better. Gotta keep up my energy somehow, right? Er... so I can run around praising fandom and other random elements... :D (she says, cleverly steering herself back on topic)

TameFarrar
August 2nd, 2004, 01:12 PM
suck up ;) :P............................. All that sugar so you can go spread the joy of Fandom :D

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Go spread something, anyway... ;)

Anthro Girl
August 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Don't mess with the post office. You may never see your mail again. ;)
Pftppptt! Our mailman already hates me because I reported his lazy butt after getting one-too-many packages hurled up 14 steps from the street. Smashed cds, dvds, shattered pottery and chipped paint on the porch. :mad: I imagine he had us tagged down at the office, too. The UPS guy, now he's another story. He brings doggie biscuits for the pups and swears in a great Russian accent when we talk politics. :D I think I shall give him cookies and tell him it's on behalf of fuzzy fandom.

(Like the attempted segue back to topic? eh? Yeah, neither did I... :rolleyes: )

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
Ahhh, UPS guys. How I love them. ;) Unfortunately it turns out that while Muttley is very easy on the eyes, in addition to not being bright he's also a bit of an arrogant jerk. *sigh* He still looks good, though, and he did deliver that Stargate RPG book to me that one time...

I don't think he's smart enough to understand Stargate, though. Will have to keep hunting. Err... for someone who shares my obsession?

On topic-y. :D

TameFarrar
August 3rd, 2004, 11:46 AM
Note to self....find really cute deaf guy who likes Star Gate and *likes* exchangeing insults for fun... for Shadow...:D ;) Send over in UPS truck :)

In other news I have decided regardless of recent developments I am still going to enjoy my *Fandom* no matter what I tell ya :D

So beware I am going to HAPPY, OPTIMISTIC and NICE no matter what you throw at me :D HA!!

Shipperahoy
August 3rd, 2004, 11:54 AM
A fellow Pollyanna. It's nice to see another optimist. Shadow doesn't like to admit it but I'm slowly converting her. There are recent developments that I'm not too sure about but I still love Stargate and I'll keep watching it. So there. :p :D ;)

TameFarrar
August 3rd, 2004, 12:04 PM
I will be in the background giving subliminal support Shippahoy....it may takes years but one can never give up :D ;)

ShadowMaat
August 3rd, 2004, 12:33 PM
Deaf? Why deaf? My voice isn't THAT harsh. :P Besides, I only know the alphabet in sign. And I can count to ten. Passing notes back and forth to each other would get tiring after a while. Then again, if he's cute enough and reasonably intelligent... ;) Er... and shares my passion for Stargate and its fandom? :D

Not that guys like that exist, of course. Or if they do they're all scared of me. :P

Anyway, I am NOT a Pollyanna and I'm never gonna be one. :P I'd go all gloom and doom, but I don't wanna get in trouble.

Meanwhile, I need to see if I can find my notes on Luke. I'd started a biographic summary a month or three ago, but I've no idea where I put those particular scraps of paper...

TameFarrar
August 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
LOL...deaf...well because I figured then he wouldn't be swayed by anything he heard but could still trade insults by sign :)

Give us time.....we will wheedle small pinpricks of happiness into your life before you ever realize it Muwahahahahaha

Luke likes to cook :) - just giving you a starting point :P

Anthro Girl
August 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
In other news I have decided regardless of recent developments I am still going to enjoy my *Fandom* no matter what I tell ya :D
Yeah! So there! :p

(I'm with ya!)

Anthro Girl
August 3rd, 2004, 01:10 PM
LOL...deaf...well because I figured then he wouldn't be swayed by anything he heard but could still trade insults by sign :)
Wouldn't it be better if he were mute? ;) At least that's my idea of an ideal man today... :D

Bagpuss
August 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
If the Actors/PTB ever browse this thread,they'll get a giggle at least ! :)

I was going to go all serious,but that's difficult to do when you lot come up with such fun Posts....all I can think of is the continuation of "F.S.D". ;)

OK. Wannabee Pollyanna FHB has only one thing to say :

Happiness is...

:) Gateworld :)

Well,that's about the limit of my talents at the mo' ! :D

ShadowMaat
August 3rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Nah, I want my guy to be able to speak. How else is he going to shower me with compliments and say things like, "Yes, Mistress Shadow, I hear and obey." :D hehe

Actually, I like 'em with a little fight. Intelligent debates are the spice of life. And snarking back at me would keep me on my toes.

I know Luke likes to cook, BTW. I did manage to notice that. :P But I had a really good last name written down somewhere, and a DOB and some facts about his family (mom, dad, older brother). Probably wouldn't make it into my next fic, but it might make some good background shading...

Gotta say, I'm enjoying fandom right HERE a lot more than I'm enjoying it in certain other places on the board right now... :P

Anthro Girl
August 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Nah, I want my guy to be able to speak. How else is he going to shower me with compliments and say things like, "Yes, Mistress Shadow, I hear and obey." :D hehe
Shadow, I can program my computer to do that. ;)

Gotta say, I'm enjoying fandom right HERE a lot more than I'm enjoying it in certain other places on the board right now... :P
Here, here. Here! I'm actually not enjoying LIFE right now...not today...had some depressing stuff happen and now I'm just uberpissed at the entire world and one man in particular. :mad: I need fluffy fandom right now, but I feel I must hide from parts of it. :o

Correction to post above: Ideal Man for Today would be mute, gorgeous, carrying chocolate and a DVD player. ;)

TameFarrar
August 3rd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't it be better if he were mute? ;) At least that's my idea of an ideal man today... :D
OH that is SO much better!!!! (shades of Harlan there :) ) <--see ON TOPIC :D
Ok change Cute Deaf Guy to Cute mute guy...that way he can hear every thing but he can't say anything :) We have a WINNER.....ok now just have to find him dress in a UPS uniform...steal UPS truck and send off to Shadow.... and then...... She will have to SMILE.....hahahaha......yes This is what an Opitimist does for fun :D

edited to say JUST saw Shadows post.....SHARDS foiled yet again...NOW She WANTS him to argue...GADS is there no Pleasing this woman :rolleyes:

I am going to have a chat with Mugsly about sleep -Learning..... maybe if we just smarten him up - sheesh...

ShadowMaat
August 3rd, 2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, but computers... are severely lacking in other areas. Given the PG nature of the forum, I'll leave it at that. :D

This thread and my Sulky Thread are probably the safest areas right now. Relatively speaking, considering I'm on 'em both. ;)

TameFarrar
August 3rd, 2004, 01:32 PM
If the Actors/PTB ever browse this thread,they'll get a giggle at least ! :)

I was going to go all serious,but that's difficult to do when you lot come up with such fun Posts....all I can think of is the continuation of "F.S.D". ;)

OK. Wannabee Pollyanna FHB has only one thing to say :

Happiness is...

:) Gateworld :)

Well,that's about the limit of my talents at the mo' ! :D

And such wonderful talent it is!!!!!!!!!!!!! We aim to please!!!! :D