Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's ENJOY our Fandom...and show each other and the Actors/etc, how great GW is !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's ENJOY our Fandom...and show each other and the Actors/etc, how great GW is !

Hi everyone !
    I'm wondering if it may be time for us all to show consideration for each other when we Post .....and cut the Actors and PTB some slack too.
    There's already a DDL Appreciation Package Thread ,and the Posts there set me to thinking. So did some other Posts/Threads,around the Forum.

Do we sometimes go too far,when Posting ?

I know we all have our favourite ideas for the Show,and fave Characters and/or "Pairings",and sometimes debate can become a little (or very !) heated . This is usually kept under control by each other, or by Mod intervention.

What I'm asking for, is patience with each other and adherence to the Forum Rules.They clearly ask for respect between Fans and towards the Actors and the PTB ! Therefore personal "digs" at other Posters/Actors etc, shouldn't happen,should they ?

Over to you GW Posters : What informal "Rules" do YOU feel should be observed or would help you enjoy Fandom ?

To the Mods.If this is in the wrong section,or you feel I've overstepped my mark by appealing like this,then I accept your decision. I have no wish to "Stir",or attack fellow members . I just want us to never end up like some Sites I've visited before/since joining GateWorld .
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS
    Over to you GW Posters : What informal "Rules" do YOU feel should be observed or would help you enjoy Fandom
    1. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES!!!
    2. No spoilers in sig files. I don't mean random bits of dialogue, I mean things like, "Oh my god, I can't believe Siler is dead!" stuff.
    3a. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. It's something I have to learn, myself. Just because you don't agree with a person's viewpoint does NOT mean that that person is an idiot (unless they say they hate Luke ) nor does it mean that you have a right to ridicule that person or his/her view.
    3b. Respect. This goes for the characters as well as the actors/crew. Just because you think that Chevron Guy is a pathetic good-for-nothing coward doesn't mean you have to say it... or at least not like that. There are ways of communicating your displeasure without resorting to petty insults and derogatory language.
    3c. Respect! This goes for the actual wording of your posts as well. Try and make yourself as coherent as possible. Don't post in half-sentences, half-thoughts and half-wit just because you can't be bothered to think things out. The "you know what I mean" excuse only goes so far. People should be thinking about the content of your posts, not trying to decipher what you're saying.
    4. No spoilers in the subject lines!
    5. Remember to mix in some happy thoughts with your complaints. If even I can manage to say nice things once in a while then there's no reason why others can't, too.
    6. No spoilers in the subject lines!!

I also think we should all take some time to peruse the Thank goodness for Gateworld thread and post their own warm fuzzies about our home here in cyberspace. I know there was a "three cheers" thread a while back, but this one is a little broader to include actual content as opposed to just stroking the egos of the mods.

I don't want to see a rash of "appreciation packets" being started for everyone, but yes, a generally kinder air- especially towards those people/things we may not particularly like (or which may even drive us into a bloody froth) might be kinda nice.

Comment

Pretty good list,there,Shadow,IMO !
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      I'll add one of my personal hopes to the lists.

To All:
      **When stating an opinion,be careful to state it as opinion . Not Fact !**

For a start,that's actually setting a challenge to other Posters,and should the "Fact" be wrong,...boy,will you feel sheepish !

Secondly,sometimes being blunt and to the point can come across as rude,even if that wasn't the intention !

(See Shadow's Rule 3a . )

Comment

Amen to the opinion thing. I try to be exceedingly careful about that and while I know that in most circumstances people are just mis-stating an opinion, sometimes it's still really irritating.

Comment

I'd like to see less stereotyping and assumptions. Just because a person belongs to a certain fan group doesn't mean that you can go making assumptions about what they do and do not want to see on the show. Not all anti-shippers agree on everything nor do shippers or noromos. I realize that it's easy to just lump people together into one definition but it's not the case.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Okay, everything Shadow said plus:

7. no spoilers in the subject lines
            8. No Spoilers In The Subject Lines
            9. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES
            10. NO SPOILERS IN THE SUBJECT LINES
            11. Respect for the international community that is Stargate fandom and recognition that not everyone who has access to the Internet also has access to SciFi channel at 9pm on Friday nights.
            12. Never, ever lose your sense of humor.

Of course, now that I mentioned no spoilers in the subject line, I should add that the subjects should be 1) descriptive enough and 2) include a spoiler warning if necessary. Seeing a subject that says "I have a question..." and then a message that starts out "Now that Siler has married the Wraith Queen..." doesn't really help.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Siler married the Wraith Queen?!!! Darn you!!!! You've spoiled the whole series for me know.

Comment

Nah, she's pulling your leg. There hasn't been any progress in that storyline since their engagement.
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Another thing that bugs me is Actor Bashing. You covered that very well in your rules/post ,Shadow .
                  I agree with you, that while there's no need to put any more "Packets" together,I feel a lot of anger towards storylines ends up as hostile attitudes towards the Cast !
                  (DDL,being an obvious victim,but AT,etc, get it too, on the net and by mail...not good at all,IMO.)

There's a very fine line....and I try not to cross it !

The whole point is to enjoy Stargate/ Atlantis Fandom,after all .

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                    I'd like to see less stereotyping and assumptions. Just because a person belongs to a certain fan group doesn't mean that you can go making assumptions about what they do and do not want to see on the show. Not all anti-shippers agree on everything nor do shippers or noromos. I realize that it's easy to just lump people together into one definition but it's not the case.
                    I totally agree with you,ShipperAhoy .
                    I really like a lot of Posters here,and they all have my friendship and respect,and an equal right to their opinions on any subject .
                    (I see no reason to be horrible to anyone else,either,as I have no right to domineer ! )

Comment

On the whole I've been extremely pleased with the attitudes of folks in the GW forum, especially when they stack up to other forums. I do feel though that some folks do not read the Forum Rules when they first sign up, and have consequently given themselves inappropriate names that we must remedy, but other than that the folks here are likable people.

I especially like this forum (and i'm not saying this because I'm a mod but because I too am a GW fan) because as long as it's not off-color, you're free to discuss anything you want. Don't like Daniel on SG-1? You won't get expelled here. Sure, you might need to keep out of protected threads that are to the contrary, but other than that you're home free.

It's important to remember that we want to keep the forum positive, generally speaking. It's healthy, it makes you leave feeling good instead of mistreated and bashed, and, well, it's healthy. If anyone feels slighted or mistreated, please note that the mod's shoulders are there for you - you don't need to take matters into your own hands if you don't think you can handle things properly.

Happy gating, everyone!
                      Great thread, FH!

Comment

I'm certainly not bashing GW in any way. I mean what if Darren took away my magic beans? I love it here. It's my home away from home. My husband keeps saying that I'm cheating on him with a forum. I have made a whole lot of friends here and with the few pretty rare exceptions people here are very polite and willing to accept opinions that don't mesh with their own. And if they don't will I can always put the fear of David into them.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                          If anyone feels slighted or mistreated, please note that the mod's shoulders are there for you - you don't need to take matters into your own hands if you don't think you can handle things properly.
                          Oh, but Davey dearest, what if I know I CAN handle things properly but I'm also smart enough to know that my definition of "properly" is probably a bannable offense?

If I may be allowed a moment of seriousness here, I really do like the GW mods. Heck, having any mods at all is a vast improvement over my last hangout, but the fact that they're good enough to let us run wild (but pull us back when we need it) is really a wonderful thing. They also don't let their own biases get in the way of doing their job. I know Shipperahoy will protect me even after I throw rocks at the shipper beehive. Well... maybe... Gipsy will mash on my toes when I need it, David will go around being infuriatingly nice all the time... It's a good mix of people and talents.

And just for another grumble (you know I couldn't resist), this is a little in line with what Anthro was saying- while I don't want spoilers in the subject line, I would like SOME idea of what to expect. "A question" really isn't very helpful and it's easy enough to be more descriptive without venturing into spoilers. "Question about Siler" would be better. Assuming it's about Siler. And don't title your thread "Wraith feeding habits" and then spend the whole post talking about how buff McKay is. I'm all for discussion of McKay's buffness, but if it's under "Wraith feeding habits" I might miss it and that would make me very sad. *sniffle*

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                            Nah, she's pulling your leg. There hasn't been any progress in that storyline since their engagement.
                            Yes, yes. Last we heard, the engagement ring was attacking his arm and he had to go to the infirmary...again!

Nods, kudos and genuine, fuzzy goodness to the Mods and GW community. I like the fact that all opinions are welcome here as long as we are responsible and respectful.
                            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                            once done, cannot be undone...
                            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                              Yes, yes. Last we heard, the engagement ring was attacking his arm and he had to go to the infirmary...again!
                              LOL! He just has the worst luck... Of course, I still say that Jack is responsible for all of Siler's "accidents". Wrench envy is a terrible thing...

Nods, kudos and genuine, fuzzy goodness to the Mods and GW community. I like the fact that all opinions are welcome here as long as we are responsible and respectful.
                              Except for you. All your opinions are rubbish.

Moi? Responsible and respectful? I can hear people falling off their chairs laughing right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X