This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kavanaugh revisited

First non-rp post here (still awaiting final approval there), but after lurking this forum for several months w/out joining, and watching Aliens on a sick day yesterday, I was pondering the dynamics of Mr. Cotton's portrayal of Kavanaugh as the self-serving egotist in season one (somewhat mitigated by Critical Mass in season 2, imho) and the way he can really make you dislike or even hate the character speaks volumes of his acting skills to me. Rather than resurrect the old semi-appreciation thread, I'm starting a new one since I saw a non-SG parallel with Aliens that I was wondering if anyone else sees.

When I saw Aliens in the theater Paul Reiser's character Carter Burke was very much like Kavanaugh's character, albiet with a MUCH more sinister motive. But the portrayal really made you loathe the character, and when he met his fate, the audience actually cheered. I don't know if that would happen with Kavanaugh, especially since things seem to be mellowing slightly after Critical Mass, but there were distinct similarities in both the characters as well as the portrayal by the actor, since they really made you dislike him. Just a thought. Sorry about the essay length post, I tend to be a bit verbose at times

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

I love Kavanagh. The character reminds me of SG1's Kinsey (Ronny Cox). I just HATED that guy, but I loved seeing him do his nasty deeds and being such a coward. I look at Dr. K as SGA's "Kinsey-type". Ya gotta have conflict in the family somewhere, and I just hate all our SGA heroes getting along so well all the time.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
      I love Kavanagh. The character reminds me of SG1's Kinsey (Ronny Cox). I just HATED that guy, but I loved seeing him do his nasty deeds and being such a coward. I look at Dr. K as SGA's "Kinsey-type". Ya gotta have conflict in the family somewhere, and I just hate all our SGA heroes getting along so well all the time.

Good point about Kinsey. Ronny Cox is another example of the actor doing a great job of making you dislike him. Your description made me think of the butler in Mr. Deeds ("sneaky sneaky") since the guy was a sneak. Plus, you love when someone like that gets what's coming to them. Some conflict among the leads in SGA would be interesting

Comment

Im kinda hope they bring him back soon! I love to see how petty and evil he can be Id liek see also see him turn out to be a Genii spy later on in the show as well lol.
        "I never see this coming..." ~ Col. Sheppard
        <3

Comment

Originally posted by TheXym
          I don't know if that would happen with Kavanaugh, especially since things seem to be mellowing slightly after Critical Mass, but there were distinct similarities in both the characters as well as the portrayal by the actor, since they really made you dislike him.
          I do think by the second season Kavanaugh was likely to be cheered if he had died...I don't mind him, I hate really nice and perfect characters, they are just plain boring after awhile, you need an antagonist, someone to give them hell and point out their faults. Ben is great as Kavanaugh, I really hope he returns for season 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan McShep
            Im kinda hope they bring him back soon! I love to see how petty and evil he can be Id liek see also see him turn out to be a Genii spy later on in the show as well lol.
            I'm kind of torn about the Genii spy possibilities - part of me feels that it would be a good plot twist, but a bit predictable. The other part thinks the red herring bit like in Critical Mass (he wasn't the bad guy, but a plausible suspect nonetheless) could work well also (but it could get old fast if not done well). I DO wholeheartedly agree that he should be brought back soon

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
              I do think by the second season Kavanaugh was likely to be cheered if he had died...I don't mind him, I hate really nice and perfect characters, they are just plain boring after awhile, you need an antagonist, someone to give them hell and point out their faults. Ben is great as Kavanaugh, I really hope he returns for season 3.
              Very true. Not to be cliche, but there's a possible gold mine in the character as a foil for Dr. Weir and the others if he's used to his potential.

Comment

Working...
              X