Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop selling "sets" and get on with the Season releases already!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop selling "sets" and get on with the Season releases already!

I don't like sets. I don't like having to buy 4-5 DVD's to eke out a season. Call me greedy ("Greedy!") but I like it all in one fell swoop. I don't "own" the Doctor in the actual sense of the word, but I have almost the entire series. I would, however, seriously consider buying the show if they released them in really slick, extra-packed and mind-blowinglyly cool season sets.

I don't quite follow, since when have the BBC released "sets"? with the exception of the beginning boxset?

Are you referring to new who or classic who?

If classic, you DO realise that a large amount of episodes arent actually available to be made into a series boxset?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
      If classic, you DO realise that a large amount of episodes arent actually available to be made into a series boxset?
      There are enough.... Season 1 and 2 of the Hartnell series have a TON of material in them to make a great season set, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        There are enough.... Season 1 and 2 of the Hartnell series have a TON of material in them to make a great season set, for example.
        Ah but most of the stories are either lost or in telesnaps. Id wait till they were all found. I Think they should like put pop ups on the official BBC Doctor Who website demanding the return of lost episodes. perhaps they could put a reward up.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
          Ah but most of the stories are either lost or in telesnaps. Id wait till they were all found. I Think they should like put pop ups on the official BBC Doctor Who website demanding the return of lost episodes. perhaps they could put a reward up.
          Exactly.

I'm sorry but I'd much rather buy indiviudal eps than "complete series boxsets" that aren't complete. Sure I'd love a series boxset of the ones where the series ARE complete, such as "The Key To Time", but whether we'll get that...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
            Yea lets go for it
            Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

What's out there already is more then enough for a season set...

Season 1, for example:

Unearthly Child - 4 part story (4 episodes)
              The Daleks - 7 part story
              The Edge of Destruction - 2 part story
              The Keys of Marinus - 6 part story
              The Azteks - 4 part story
              The Sensorites - 6 part story
              The Reign of Terror - 6 part story

Toss in the "recostructed Marco Polo" episode and maybe a few other things they've recostructed or found, and you have a great Doctor Who Season One set right there!

Comment

There a number of reasons why they don't do boxsets:

>BBC WW say their market research says the general public simply don't want them.
                >The price of these boxsets would be about $100 (or more!) and would, again put off casual buyers.
                >Again, for the casual buyer "Season Ten Boxset" means nothing, but "oooh.. I recognize that... it's the one with the maggots!" is more likely to entice an actual buy.
                >DW releases require a lot of restoration work. At the moment, they release 5-8 discs' worth of content a year. This wouldn't be sped up by season boxsets so you'd wind up releasing a boxset a year, on average. This means fans of a particular era or Doctor could be waiting seven years between releases they actually wanted!

Comment

I would like boxset, but I take what I can get.

Comment

I do understand why they dont make boxsets howver I still belive that maybe if the restoration team was better funded or one of the other factors in making these DVDs was improved that we could get Boxsets. I think really its all a matter of time, money and power.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain
                      >The price of these boxsets would be about $100 (or more!) and would, again put off casual buyers.
                      Why would it be $100 or more? Its not like its brand new footage, its old footage. Old footage does not need $100 sets, nor would anyone in their right mind spend that kind of money. Just look at Stargate, the season sets were 39 bucks depending on where you looked.

I have bought ALL the Star Trek box sets because I'm a huge Star Trek fan... they sell for $129.99 som places, which is insane. Other places were selling it for about $100 bucks. I found it for $82 per season and bought them at that, but I would have prefered if they were even less expensive.

But with that, you're not dealing with 30+ year old footage, which does not need a $100 dollar price tag.

Comment

But with that, you're not dealing with 30+ year old footage, which does not need a $100 dollar price tag.
                        True but alot of the old episodes are remasterd to top quality. However id price it more around $80. Which is around £40. That way they arent to expensive but not too cheap either.

Comment

I think they just want more money

Comment

Why would it be $100 or more? Its not like its brand new footage, its old footage. Old footage does not need $100 sets, nor would anyone in their right mind spend that kind of money. Just look at Stargate, the season sets were 39 bucks depending on where you looked.
                            Much of the tapes in the archive aren't the highest quality.

Doctor Who was originally considered a children's show, so the BBC wasn't very interested in archiving the series. Then in the 70s, it became successful and very profitable internationally. Many episodes were recovered, but many need to be seriously remastered.

Much of the restoration work is done free by fans on their own time, but the DVD extras do cost money.

How much the BBC profits on these is debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                              Much of the tapes in the archive aren't the highest quality.

Doctor Who was originally considered a children's show, so the BBC wasn't very interested in archiving the series. Then in the 70s, it became successful and very profitable internationally. Many episodes were recovered, but many need to be seriously remastered.

Much of the restoration work is done free by fans on their own time, but the DVD extras do cost money.

How much the BBC profits on these is debatable.
                              I'm just saying... I know the Gateworld forum is not much for downloaded stuff, so I won't go into that but merely say that what I have (which is, well, all of Doctor Strange except for the 3rd Doctor) looks decent enough that I would buy it on DVD. Sure, some things aren't the best looking, but considering its black and white footage from the 60's it looks damn good.

Comment

Working...
                              X