X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carl Binder Episodes: Do we need more?

Binder's Episodes:

Before I Sleep (18 February 2005) - Writer (writer)
    Letters from Pegasus (4 March 2005) - Writer (writer)
    Aurora (23 September 2005) - Writer (story) (teleplay)
    The Hive (21 November 2005) - Writer (writer)
    Critical Mass (5 December 2005) - Writer (writer)
    Michael (16 January 2006) - Writer (writer)
    Inferno (23 January 2006) - Writer (writer)

Do you think Binder can infuse new vigor in Atlantis?

More Binder?
    Or less?
    Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

He's already writing pretty much the normal amount of episodes a year that the full writers write. Any more and the quality will start slacking.

I've loved all of his episodes besides the Hive, and I love his way of incorporating Weir into the story.

He seems to be great at developing characters, so I'd like to see him write an episode about sheppards backstory, the afganistan thing, his experiences in the AF and why he wanted to transfer to McMurdo other than to 'get away from the world'.

Comment

Hmmm...I really liked BIS, LFP, Critical Mass, and Michael (except for the "what the hell was the team thinking?" moments). Inferno was okay but I thought Hive and Aurora were a bit bland, the former being plagued with gaping plot holes.

I think he does a great job with character development, especially Weir, so I'd definitely like to see him involved in that aspect.

Comment

I'd gladly take more Binder episodes. And Martin Gero. Those two = awesome Atlantis.
        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

I liked Michael and especially Critical Mass. The Hive was very cheesy and very rushed. Maybe a little less Binder, so he has more time writing. Same for Gero.

Comment

I absolutely love Carl Binder. He does an awesome job writing for Weir, and I feel like he understands her much better than any of the other writers. I'd say I'd love to see more Binder scripts, but I don't want him to have to write so fast that quality suffers!
            "Sometimes we reach what's realest by making believe..."
            My LiveJournal - My Photography - My Art

Comment

I love Carl, but you don't want to over-do it, not the least because the quality folks tout so highly wouldn't be there if Carl got forced to work harder and carry more of the load.

What I would prefer is that TPTB hire three or four MORE writers who are every bit as good as Carl- in their own ways- and let them help to carry the load that Carl and Martin Gero are trying to shoulder virtually on their own.
              Last edited by ShadowMaat; 23 February 2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                I love Carl, but you don't want to over-do it, not the least because the quality folks tout so highly wouldn't be there if Carl got forced to work harder and carry more of the load.

What I would prefer is that TPTB hire three or four MORE writers who are every bit as good as Carl- in their own ways- and let them help to carry the load that Carl and Martin Gero are trying to shoulder virtually on their own.
                I agree ShadowMaat. But how will they find the money to hire three or four more writers when they are so tightly budgeted as it is?

Maybe there is something the fans can do. I've seen some of the "fan scripts" posted. Maybe we can try to get more organized in our plot and backstory suggestions. Something like a Binderesque storyline production line. What do you think?
                Janus: “What is it you called them?” Dr. Weir: “ZPM, Zero Point Module.” Janus: “Yes” Janus: “They're designed to operate in parallel, all three providing power to the city simultaneously.” Janus: “However, used in sequence, it may be possible to sustain the power for the needed time.”

Comment

Originally posted by ZPM_Plant
                  I agree ShadowMaat. But how will they find the money to hire three or four more writers when they are so tightly budgeted as it is?

Maybe there is something the fans can do. I've seen some of the "fan scripts" posted. Maybe we can try to get more organized in our plot and backstory suggestions. Something like a Binderesque storyline production line. What do you think?
                  I agree with both of you - Binder (and Gero too) write some of the best Atlantis episodes but I definitly don't want them to be over worked incase the quality suffers

About Fan scripts and fan fiction in general - the writers are legally obliged not to look at fan made stories, to protect themselves incase some fan-fic authors later claim that an episode rips-off one of their stories.
                  sigpic

Comment

agree ShadowMaat. But how will they find the money to hire three or four more writers when they are so tightly budgeted as it is?

The trouble with 'fan scripts' is that the bulk of them are tied to a genre (ship, slash, h/c, etc.) which wouldn't play on TV. I do however think Binder's the best writer on the SGA staff; he has the best insight INTO the characters while others dabble more on the surface and on blowing things up.

About Fan scripts and fan fiction in general - the writers are legally obliged not to look at fan made stories, to protect themselves incase some fan-fic authors later claim that an episode rips-off one of their stories.

Yes, writers are legally not allowed (it's not so much as obliged as it's forbidden because the lawyers really hate it when the writers open up the STUDIO for a lawsuit). However, it's sort of ironic as Joe Mallozzi is known to be a member of at least one mailing list that regularly post fan fiction all the time (intermingled with discussion), but then again, that's his decision (and potential problem down the road).

So, you can suggest all the plots you want, but the writers legally should not read those threads, and that's why unsolicited scripts or stories get ejected from the studio unopened.

Comment

It would be good fr him to write more episodes. He has done good episodes so far
                      sigpic
                      Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire
                        Hmmm...I really liked BIS, LFP, Critical Mass, and Michael (except for the "what the hell was the team thinking?" moments). Inferno was okay but I thought Hive and Aurora were a bit bland, the former being plagued with gaping plot holes.
                        I hated Critical Mass, almost as much as The Tower, but I did like the McKay moments in LFP and most of Michael, I loved the Sheppard/McKay moments in Aurora, hmm, no I would say we need more Martin Gero episodes, not more Carl ones.

Comment

Well, his were the best of both seasons, for the most part, but you can have too much of a good thing.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                          ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                            I hated Critical Mass, almost as much as The Tower, but I did like the McKay moments in LFP and most of Michael, I loved the Sheppard/McKay moments in Aurora, hmm, no I would say we need more Martin Gero episodes, not more Carl ones.
                            Oh yeah, this topic is definitely subjective.

Episodes Martin has written:

Childhood's End
                            The Storm
                            The Eye
                            Hot Zone
                            The Brotherhood
                            The Gift
                            The Siege: Part 1
                            The Siege: Part 3
                            Duet
                            Conversion
                            The Lost Boys
                            Coup D'etat
                            Grace Under Pressure
                            Allies

Now I especially loved Storm/Eye, Coup D'etat, and Allies (have to excuse the team's decisions there too though). I enjoyed pretty much every episode otherwise, though some were better than others. And neither writer was responsible for the stinkers Sanctuary or Tower.

If I had to compare Binder and Gero, I'd say that Binder's major strength is writing the characters really well and Gero's major strength is writing interesting stories. That's not to say one can't do the other fine, just where they're strengths are as I see it. We need to make a writer hybrid.

Comment

maybe Binder should take over as showrunner (didn't like season 2 very much, but loved season 1) from Brad Wright.

Comment

Working...
                              X