This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter & Mitchell - The Facts??

What facts from the show do we know about these characters - specifically military and academic accomplishments? For the purpose of this thread a fact is something explicitly said or shown in the show, it is NOT something the actors or TPTB have said outside the show.

Why do I want to know? Because ! No, seriously - I was in the Who should lead SG-1 thread (now poll). Lots of opinions (lots & lots & lots) but what do we know as fact, not assumptions, about these characters??

Oh yeah, if any contentious points come up - I'll adjudicate (hey my thread), we don't want those never ending circular arguments in here.

So post your facts here (include episode name or number if possible) and I'll collect them and post periodically. Also you can post a question like "what medals do they have" to try and establish a fact. If a posted "fact" is incorrect, you can post that too but give detailed evidence of why it is incorrect.
    -

Fact
    ----

Carter
    - promoted to Lt. Colonel in episode 802
    - current member of SG-1

Mitchell
    - Lt Colonel
    - Current SG-1 leader (ep 901)
    -

Comment

QUESTIONS
      ---------
      - Anyone have clear screenshots of Carter and Mitchell's Badges & ribbons (ep 901) so we determine what they are??
      - When did Mitchell become a Lt Colonel? During the flashback scenes (ep 901) he is never referred to by rank and I couldn't see anything on his flight suit.
      -

Comment

Sam went to the Air Force Academy where she kicked butt.

Cameron probably went to a college with an AFROTC in which he failed fencing. He might've went to the Academy, not sure.

There's only us,
        There's only this
        Forget regret, or life is yours to miss
        No other road,
        No other way
        No day but today...

Comment

Mitchell shouldnt be leader of SG1 seeing as he has been in for 1 season and at the start of that, he was given command of the front line team, but hey that is off topic for this thread. Try stargate caps for screenshots

Comment

And if you think about it....when the SGC was first established we had what, 9 SG teams....and only a few of those were Stargate experienced....Mitchell is leader because Carter left SGC....to me it makes sense.

Just because A footballer has been playing longer, but left, doesnt mean he should be captain instead of the new guy when he re-joins.
            Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
              And if you think about it....when the SGC was first established we had what, 9 SG teams....and only a few of those were Stargate experienced....Mitchell is leader because Carter left SGC....to me it makes sense.

Just because A footballer has been playing longer, but left, doesnt mean he should be captain instead of the new guy when he re-joins.
              This is an argument that will never be settled. Both sides are pretty well dug in.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Good Idea!

-----

Mitchell's Ribbons:

In order of prestige:
                1) Medal of Honor (Air Force) - Personal Award (Doesn't wear this ribbon on uniform)
                2) Distinguished Flying Cross - Personal Award
                3) Purple Heart - Personal Award
                4) Merit Service Medal - Personal Award
                5) Air Medal - Personal Award
                6) Aerial Achievement Medal - Personal Award
                7) Air Force Commendation Medal - Personal Award
                8) Air Force Achievement Medal - Personal Award
                9) Air Force Outstanding Unit Award - Unit
                10) National Defence Service Medal (x2) - Service Award
                11) Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal - Campaign
                12) Air & Space Campaign Medal - Campaign
                13) Air Force Overseas Service Ribbon (Long Tour) - Sefvice Award
                14) Air Force Expeditionary Service Medal - Campaign
                15) Air Force Longevity Service Award (x4) = Service
                16) Air Force Training Ribbon - Service

Screencap showing Mitchell as the Rank of Lt. Colonel at the time of Attack on Fleet, (In Flashback scenes of Avalon 1).

------
                He's spent a long time overseas... wonder if that's where he learnt Chinese?
                Last edited by Kas; 23 February 2006, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I consider the medal and device comparisons an exercise of limited validity, because -- as I have pointed out elsewhere -- we KNOW that they frequently don't correspond to what has been said and shown onscreen. I don't have the time right now to go into more detailed explication, but I will refer everyone to this good intro here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....13&postcount=8

Comment

Yes, many officers don't wear all thier medals, it's at their discresion. (Yes, Carter's Gulf War statement annoyed me too. Not sure what she did, but I bet it wasn't the role of a Senior Space/Missile. Wuite possible she broke the women in combat rules...Jack's missing a few too.) Medals to not represent all that an officer has done, but do show some. (i.e. you don't wear a Korean Service Medal unless you served in Korea for the required time, but you the converse doesn't apply.) Of course, even that's up for debate because TPTB aren't really on top of that stuff.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                      (Yes, Carter's Gulf War statement annoyed me too. Not sure what she did, but I bet it wasn't the role of a Senior Space/Missile. Wuite possible she broke the women in combat rules...
                      I thought Major Fischer's grievance was that Carter does NOT wear ANY badge that indicates ANY service in the Gulf, even though there are badges or devices that could apply without violating the women in combat restriction of that time. IOW, it's not Carter's statement per se that's the problem, it's that the statement and the costume do not match.
                      Last edited by DEM; 24 February 2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

they're gonna shag

Comment

Have they said anything about where Mitch got his ground combat training from. I haven't heard anything about it.
                          *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                          *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                          *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                          *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                          *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                          *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                          *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz

So very true.
                            Although the next in line should at least have played Football before.
                            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by DEM
                              I thought Major Fischer's grievance was that Carter does NOT wear ANY badge that indicates ANY service in the Gulf, even though there are badges or devices that could apply without violating the women in combat restriction of that time. IOW, it's not Carter's statement per se that's the problem, it's that the statement and the costume do not match.
                              that's what i meant. sorry.
                              sigpic
                              "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                              Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                              X