X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question, why did Cain change her mind?

If this is a repost then sorry.

In Resurection Ship pt. 2, Adama states his reason for not going through with his assasination plan, but Cain never says why she changed her mind. I would like to know why everyone thinks Cain changed her mind.

She's just a psycho B*tch.
    Now would you kindly get out of your god's face.

Comment

Although this thread can only lead to unconfirmable speculations, I think there are a couple of reasons why Cain changed her mind.
      • The easiest answer is that Cain started thinking of Adama as an asset rather than a liability. Especially on the cusp of their joint "moment of triumph". Winning against a common enemy takes the edge off a lot of tensions. The same goes for Adama's reversal.
      • There's been a lot of churn in the other threads about the sinking morale of the Pegasus after losing so many Commanders in a row (three at this point). Cain might have made the calculation that losing the same commander, Adama, after his recent near brush with death would be catastrophic to the morale of the Galactica, and she wouldn't want to force that. I'd also think that there would be a bloodbath for the Marines she dispatched to do the job, no matter how well placed and well armed they were. This would have been a very sour note to play at this point.
      • Cain might not have been rock sure of Fisk's intention to follow through with the orders, or what would be his immediate steps afterwards. After all, Fisk was out of pistol range himself, unlike the previous XO.
      • Adama and Cain obviously worked well together in the joint operation. BSG's pilots, particularly Starbuck, showed real promise that she couldn't claim credit for. Although their command styles were almost certainly irreconcilable, it's hard to argue with results, and Adama's crew help produce them.
      • The victory was significant and well worth celebrating. There are few peers at the command level. Joint victory builds a growing mutual respect. Besides, with Helo and Tyrol still in the brig, Cain retains an upper hand and significant leverage still with Adama (in addition, of course, to the privileges earned by her higher rank).
      Last edited by anotherquestion; 03 March 2006, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Another possibility:
        Cain knew of Adama's plan to assasinate her. Look at the way she looks at Kara when Adama tells Kara not to carry out the assasination. It is possible that she called off her assasination when the Commander called off his. It's a longshot, but at the very least intersting to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMcMahon
          Another possibility:
          Cain knew of Adama's plan to assasinate her. Look at the way she looks at Kara when Adama tells Kara not to carry out the assasination. It is possible that she called off her assasination when the Commander called off his. It's a longshot, but at the very least intersting to think about.
          Agreed, too bad she was killed off, one of the most interesting characters to come out of the BSG universe

For BSG, Stargate eps and discussion visit TheBestTrek

Comment

I wrote up a huge post about this on sci-fi straight dope (link in my sig) but to summarize I think she changed her mind because she found hope/humanity again.

I also agree that she totally knew Starbuck was going to try and kill her. That whole "don't hesitate (to kill me)" conversation was loaded with the fact that Cain, now standing in comparison next to the Galactica people, was begining to realize she'd let herself become a monster.

Adama calling off her execution was essentially giving her a "second chance" to redeem herself in the eyes of humanity and in her own eyes, which is exactly what I think would have gone on to happen had Baltar not sided with the toaster, armed it, and then encouraged it to kill her. She didn't try to kill him after he essentially "forgave her" because she preffered the second chance at redemption because, at heart, she wasn't really an evil person.

Michelle Forbes needs to stop coming into sci-fi shows, being cool, and then leaving way too quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMcMahon
              Another possibility:
              Thats what I assumed. It certainly seemed like she knew what was coming.

Oh and please tell me your not named after the Quarterback Mike McMahon...as an Eagles fan I can say with complete certainty that he STINKS!!
              Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Working...
              X