This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient Battle Group

Wouldn't it be great to see an ancient battle group, even if it was only a video on atlantis' database.

I would say that the o'ryan (or what ever it was called) class ships are probably destroyers.

So I would expect 4 destroyers, 2 crusiers, and a carrier in the typical battle group.

Wouldn't be great if the carrier could carry say 50+ puddle jumpers (like the hive ships).

I think the crusiers should have beam weapons like the satelite, to take on the hive ships.

The destroyers would have dones to take out the darts, and provide defensive fire for the group.

Eh. I don't really see what the point would be, except just to see it. Besides, why would they waste valuable money on SFX just to see it. As a somewhat of a side note, I'd be surprised if a carrier had fifty puddle jumpers, as it so far seems that Atlantis itself has only ten or so.
    Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Stevos
      I would say that the o'ryan (or what ever it was called) class ships are probably destroyers.
      its aurora class warships

Comment

Atlantis is a city, i would assume the ancients also had dedicated military bases like we have.

As for what would the point be other than just to see it, what is the point of watching atlantis other than entertainment.

Comment

I Don't know they didn't seem to much for war
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Considering that the Ancient Atlanteans were peaceful not sure if there would be large designations as a normal military would. I mean so far before the war with the Wraith they never had an enemy that forced them to war (we can only guess since so far we have never heard of any other enemies back then). Still, would be cool to see.

So far we know that three of the Ancient Atlanteans warships were used to meet the Wraith for a talk of peace. (damn, I wish there was a flashback of that actual moment). So we have three there. Another one was the Aurora and another one was the Orion. So we have about five ships in total. That plus at least two city ships. So, so far thats the fleet they have in Pegasus.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
              So far we know that three of the Ancient Atlanteans warships were used to meet the Wraith for a talk of peace. (damn, I wish there was a flashback of that actual moment). So we have three there. Another one was the Aurora and another one was the Orion. So we have about five ships in total. That plus at least two city ships. So, so far thats the fleet they have in Pegasus.
              All that was said regarding the ships was:

ALT-WEIR: The Atlanteans sent a delegation protected by their most powerful warships in the faint hope of negotiating a truce. One on one, the Atlantean ships were more powerful, but the Wraith were so many. After that great battle, it was only a matter of time.
              It could have been any number, no direct reference was made. The fact that it said most powerful, leads me to believe that there must have been different classes of ships. The problem here is that since all the most powerful ships were sent & lost the battle, then it could be the best ones are all destroyed & only the 'Aurora' class are the ones that remain.

Comment

I could have sworn they said it was three ships...meh.

Most powerful could mean anything though not necessarily class. It could mean that they were the elite ships among the Ancient Atlanteans who had a lot of combat experience to fight the Wraith. Its entirely possible that they felt the 'Aurora' class were sufficient for the task after all its said that the Atlanteans could defeat a Wraith ship one on one so why try and change the ship if you think its a successful design?

Guess we will have to wait for the next season to see if thats wrong or not.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Without sounding stupid, has it been assumed that the puddle jumpers are also fighters, for example the Puddle Jumper is the Ancients version of our F-302?
                  Mrs Tapping

Myspace: www.myspace.com/stuey1221
                  MSN: [email protected]
                  feel free to add me on either

Comment

Yes, the line send their best, would indicate that they had at least one class of ships of unknown numbers that where more powerfull then the aurora class of ships.

Comment

What wepons would a anciemckay

Comment

Originally posted by Stuey1221
                        Without sounding stupid, has it been assumed that the puddle jumpers are also fighters, for example the Puddle Jumper is the Ancients version of our F-302?
                        We know they can be used as fighters, but IMO i doubt thats what they were designed for...

Comment

I don't know that the ancients really had a lot of specialized ships. They seem to be more mass produced jack of all trades. They were mostly peaceful and probably didn't spend a lot of resources on military ships. They probably just had all of their ships armed with a few weapons for protection. They were powerful enough that no one else could really provide much of a threat to them and even minor weapons were sufficient as a deterrent. Sort of like how the Asgard could show up and scare off goa'uld just by reputation.

Speaking of, you know before the Protected Planets Treaty there had to have been quite a few encounteres between goa'uld and asgard ships. Enough for the goa'uld to get the idea they don't have a chance in heck at fighting them. I'd love to see one of those battles. :-)

Comment

My understanding of the whole ship class thing - is that the Aurora Class ships were scientific ships hence the slower hyperdrives.

This to me hints that there are other classes of Ancient ship with Intergalactic hyperdrive technolgy and bigger weapons.

Thats the reason the Aurora was months away from Atlantis when the Wraith discovered it and duped the captain into modifying the instellar hyperdrives into intergalactic.

Just a thought !

Comment

I've got a really nice idea for an Ancient fighter, like a PJ, except the drive pods come out of wing-arms that fold in half to fit through the gate, the body is narrower, octagonal in cross section, but other wise similar, since they don't need the cargo space, they can have droen racks, a small pulse weapon, bigger power source, and thus both shields and cloak.
                              -I was, am, and will be, Aeon9570 (if I ever remember the password)-
                              -You want to mess with the Ancients? Please update your will...-
                              -S/J, you cannot stop it, it is not 'possible', it just is.-

Comment

Working...
                              X