This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell vs. Jonas

Ok, I think they tried to make mitchell's character not like RDA but still ended up doing it. In my opinion, the character would have developed lot better if

a) Daniel or Carter had become the team leader. By putting new guy in RDA's role, they simply end up making a clone role.

b) Character traits are a lot like RDA. Same type of stupid jokes (not that I dont appreciate them). However, it just further reminds me of RDA everytime and how no one can fill his shoes.

I had no problem with Jonas, even though I missed Daniel. I dont mind Mitchell's character that much but I feel like they are struggling to create a different identity for Mitchell. The biggest mistake in my opinion was the decision to make him a team leader. It just seems really artificial.

What I really liked about Jonas is that he really felt like a new guy who was trying to get accepted by the team (especially jack). Eventually, he earned his place in the team. However, Mitchells character was introduced as someone all the other characters already know and trust in his leadership.
    Last edited by B1acksun; 20 February 2006, 07:23 PM.

Originally posted by B1acksun
    Ok, I think they tried to make mitchell's character not like RDA but still ended up doing it. In my opinion, the character would have developed lot better if

a) Daniel or Carter had become the team leader. By putting new guy in RDA's role, they simply end up making a clone role.

b) Character traits are a lot like RDA. Same type of stupid jokes (not that I dont appreciate them). However, it just further reminds me of RDA everytime and how no one can fill his shoes.

I had no problem with Jones, even though I missed Daniel. I dont mind Mitchell's character that much but I feel like they are struggling to create a different identity for Mitchell. The biggest mistake in my opinion was the decision to make him a team leader. It just seems really artificial.

What I really liked about Jones is that he really felt like a new guy who was trying to get accepted by the team (especially jack). Eventually, he earned his place in the team. However, Mitchells character was introduced as someone all the other characters already know and trust in his leadership.
    Who the hell is Jones?

Comment

typo again lol. Corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
        Who the hell is Jones?
        I think he meant Jonas because he mentions him later on in his argument.

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

Honestly, I take Cam out, put Sam as SG-1 leader, and replace Cam with Jonas.
          sigpic

Comment

I just like Mitchell more than Jonas. Hope I'm not offending too many people. I never minded Jonas at all, but there was just something about him. Besides, we don't need two Daniel-types on the team.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              I just like Mitchell more than Jonas. Hope I'm not offending too many people. I never minded Jonas at all, but there was just something about him. Besides, we don't need two Daniel-types on the team.
              I'm with fifth man. Nothing against Jonas, but Cam is better.

Comment

Jonas tended to get on my nerves. Mitchell doesn't. This is the second time they've written "new guy trying to fit in" and, strictly IMO, they've gotten the tone better this time around ... maybe not ideal, but better.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by B1acksun

I had no problem with Jonas, even though I missed Daniel. I dont mind Mitchell's character that much but I feel like they are struggling to create a different identity for Mitchell. The biggest mistake in my opinion was the decision to make him a team leader. It just seems really artificial.

What I really liked about Jonas is that he really felt like a new guy who was trying to get accepted by the team (especially jack). Eventually, he earned his place in the team. However, Mitchells character was introduced as someone all the other characters already know and trust in his leadership.
                  I agree. The character is new to the show and it would have been better had they actually made him the "new guy" it would have flowed better just as the Jonas character.
                  Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I felt TPTB did a much better job introducing the audience to Mitchell than they did to Jonas. I felt that Jonas was forced down out throats, being an advance human, memorized all of Daniel's notes. Basically an insta-replacement for Daniel. Don't get me wrong I liked Jonas, just not the way he was introduced to us.

Mitchell on the other hand, already had knowledge of the stargate program. So it wasn't like cool first time in a glider or whatever. He aspired to be with SG-1, to work with the bes so I think everything he did was towards that goal. The way Mitchell was introduced to us was more subtle then Jonas. Although I do agree that I don't really like Mitchell having Jack's one liners because at times Mitchell seems too cavalier. Jack's smartassiness (if that is even a word) developed over several seasons and I think its too soon for Mitchell to have the same attitude to the Ori.

But overall I liked the way Mitchell was introduced much more than the way Jonas was introduced but I liked both characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                      I felt TPTB did a much better job introducing the audience to Mitchell than they did to Jonas. I felt that Jonas was forced down out throats, being an advance human, memorized all of Daniel's notes. Basically an insta-replacement for Daniel. Don't get me wrong I liked Jonas, just not the way he was introduced to us.

Mitchell on the other hand, already had knowledge of the stargate program. So it wasn't like cool first time in a glider or whatever. He aspired to be with SG-1, to work with the bes so I think everything he did was towards that goal. The way Mitchell was introduced to us was more subtle then Jonas. Although I do agree that I don't really like Mitchell having Jack's one liners because at times Mitchell seems too cavalier. Jack's smartassiness (if that is even a word) developed over several seasons and I think its too soon for Mitchell to have the same attitude to the Ori.

But overall I liked the way Mitchell was introduced much more than the way Jonas was introduced but I liked both characters.
                      I agree. I think it helps that they're letting things happen to Mitchell, and letting him have episodes that revolve around him every now and again. Jonas didn't have anything happen to him until Metamorphosis and didn't have an episode that revolved around him until Prophecy. Mitchell's been getting a steady supply of Cam-centric eps since the off.

Madeleine

Comment

I'd pick Mitchel over Jonas any day - not because I dislike Jonas but becasue I like Cam
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd pick Mitchell over Jonas because Jonas was too kind and IMHO boring! I don't really like Mitchell but at least he is a lot of action!

Comment

Daniel will never lead a team. He's not military and the military is in charge. Sam's a scientist first and foremost. I'm not going to get into the ages-old argument about rank...

Actually, I don't see RDA in Mitchell at all. For one thing, the delivery of any jokes is a lot livelier (sorry, jack became pod-jack toward the end)...

What I really liked about Jonas is that he really felt like a new guy who was trying to get accepted by the team (especially jack). Eventually, he earned his place in the team. However, Mitchells character was introduced as someone all the other characters already know and trust in his leadership

Actually, one thing that didn't impress me about Jonas is his constantly trying to fit in (done rather obviously by the writers) and the fact that he never seemed to really worry about anything, which was sorta bland...

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                              see, and i feel just the opposite.

we got to see jonas earn his way onto the team. we got to see him convince the others and be accepted

cameron???? cameron got a 'gimme' pity posting and then spent the next few episodes whining and doing his best to get the band back together despite the fact that the band DIDN'T want to get back together and basically wheedled until he got his way

and we were also treated to the cameron mitchell infomercial hour where we were told in seemingly endless detail how great and fantastic he was....something we're just barely now getting to see

now don't get me wrong and go off that i'm bashing the character, i'm not. he does have some great potential...but i see his introduction as a total 180 from jonas'

jonas earned his way onto the team while cam was given a team and then maneuvered and manipulated until he coudl get his way and live his fantasy

cameron has some fantastic potential and i throughly enjoyed him in scourge...but it seems that they're trying to mesh a 'giddy enthusiasm' onto a 'seasoned leader' and coming up with a near hopeless mishmash of eccentric behavior

to me, the enthusiastic mitch should be a subordinate, or leader mitch should tone it down a notch. A giddy, oh boy this is fun, let's see what that button does type of larking personality just doesnt' fit my image of what a leader should be.

a leader doesnt' need to be a complete and total grump, certainly, but s/he also needs to have and take some resonsibility for those placed under his/her command. And a good portion of the time, the mitch we get doesn't seem to care about much more than having fun and exploring and living out his fantasy. HIs enthusiasm is, TO ME, much better suited as a subordinate.

it echos jonas' enthusiasm for everything, but jonas wasnt' a leader. He was a follower so he had a bit more leeway in his actions because he always had a superior officer to rein him in.

so introduction wise, i think a less 'let's all go play' attitude would have done a ton to strengthen his character as true leadership material. he can be enthusiastic, it just needs to be tempered with responsibility.

jonas had an easier time of it, he was never going to be anything but a supporting character. Mitch is supposed to be the hero and male lead...he just acts more like Jonas
                              Last edited by Skydiver; 21 February 2006, 09:15 AM.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X