This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not liking the Ori

Ok, initially, I was pretty hyped up about the entire Ori thing. But the initial excitement is dying and I am starting to get pretty damn disappointed about the thing for the following two reasons:

i) Episodes are all starting to follow some generic "ori threat" and maybe we might see one of their guys with a staff. It is not like ghouls where we get to see large space ships, internal ghoul politics, etc. Its starting to seem like a really lazy plotline.

ii) I am beginning to wonder if we even needed the entire Ori story. I mean their are so many other loose threads that I wanted stargate writers to explore further before it is done. I am feeling sad that we might not get any more real information about the other great races. Even Asgards have become nonexistant except for a token asgard on prometheus or daedilius.

Am I just being a pessimistic fan who can't get over the fact that RDA has left or do I have real concerns here?

I agree with you on some points, but I think the Ori are on their way to becoming a formidable enemy, and I can't wait for the season 9 finale. Also, I'm sorry, but I couldnt help but laugh at "Ghoul". It's the Goa'uld. And they aren't completely gone, they are just out of the picture for now (as are the replicators).

Uber Hax does Stargate (YTMND)

Comment

Just wait till the season finale.

Look at season 1 (because this is sort of like season 1 of Stargate SG1 - The Next Generation), how many times did we see the Goa'uld? By contrast the Ori are actually getting better developed.

Comment

ya sorry about the typo lol.

However, I never said they are not a formidable enemy. They are bad ancients. Ofcourse they are more than formidable. Maybe too formidable. Want an episode with super genius plague? Well, No problemo. Ori can brew one for you.

Thats the problem. We have this super smart evil people who randomly pop up at different planets in the galaxy and do some random bad thing that they can magically get done because they are almost gods. Perfect ingredients for LAZY PLOTLINES.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15

Look at season 1 (because this is sort of like season 1 of Stargate SG1 - The Next Generation), how many times did we see the Goa'uld? By contrast the Ori are actually getting better developed.
          Exactly! I can't wait to see what next season holds in store for us. Having to fight their fanatical followers should be something. Not to mention, I can't wait to get a look at Ori ships.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Isn't the fact that we have to beat these God-like being in itself a very challenging plot line?

It's not what they do, it's how we beat them.

Comment

Season 1 also had lots of kickass random exploring epsiodes and we also got introduced to asgards, nox, etc. Furthermore, the Goa'uld episodes did not have an imaginary goa'uld who did a random bad thing on planet xyz. They were completely fleshed out.

Sorry, but their is no comparison.

Comment

Isn't the fact that we have to beat these God-like being in itself a very challenging plot line?

It's not what they do, it's how we beat them.
                Not in my opinion. It is rather boring, actually.

Why? because on one hand they are super powerful and can get anything done but then they fail on some very simple tasks. With the Goa'uld, the arrogance factor was done in a rather realistic way. This guys are 10 times more powerful and overall their implementation sux.

Comment

Originally posted by B1acksun
                  Season 1 also had lots of kickass random exploring epsiodes and we also got introduced to asgards, nox, etc. Furthermore, the Goa'uld episodes did not have an imaginary goa'uld who did a random bad thing on planet xyz. They were completely fleshed out.

Sorry, but their is no comparison.
                  Well, you are entitled to your opinion. TPTB can't please everyone, I guess. I know I really like the Ori so far, and I hope you come to like them a bit more at some point down the road.
                  sigpic
                  "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Maybe, I just cant get over the fact that RDA is gone *cries*

Comment

Perhaps, but that's only because their motivations are very different.

Goa'uld's motivations was...well, there weren't any really. They really didn't care and just pretty much lived their lives as they usually do. That's why we only bump into them once in a while.

The Ori, on the other hand, are beginning an invasion of this galaxy. They're goal is to make sure people worship them. So, they will be appearing all over the place, performing "miracles" to entice those who are weak-minded, and kill those who are defiant.

It would make no sense if we just bump into the Ori every once in a while. Also, by this time they know we, as humans, are pretty powerful since they pretty much know whatever Danny knows. They know we can potentially be a thorn in their side, and so far we have been. Therefore, they would try to take us down as well (ie. The 4th Horseman).

Also, you wanted to close up loose threads? Well, let's take a look:

Avalon/Origin - needed to introduce the Ori. The Goa'uld had a movie and a two-parter premier.
                      The Ties That Bind - No Ori.
                      The Powers That Be - Ori incursion
                      Beachhead - Ori Incursion
                      Ex Deus Machina - FOLLOW UP of Ba'al and the Trust
                      Babylon - A little bit of Ori, really no tricks actually. We also get introduced to some new friends.
                      Prototype - A little follow up to Anubis.
                      The Fourth Horseman - Mid season 2 parter, pretty much garrenteed(sp?) Ori-related.
                      Collateral Damage - No Ori whatsoever.
                      Ripple Effect - Not much Ori either, just in other universes. Follow up to Beachhead
                      Stronghold - FOLLOW UP to Free Jaffa Nation AND Ba'al.
                      Ethon - We never actually see a Prior, but we get a FOLLOW UP to the planet in Icon.
                      Off the Grid - No Ori at all, more stuff about Lucian Alliance
                      The Scourge - Ori bugs.

The last few episodes are almost certainly lead up to a big Ori finish, just like in season 1 (except we don't get a clip show this time).

So, 17 episodes, 7 episodes purely on Ori, everything else just mentions them or has some effects from them. We also have 4 episodes made for follow up-ing.

I don't know what you're talking about, really. It just seems the Ori are everywhere because they drop small hints once in a while. If they didn't, it wouldn't be much of an Invasion now, would it?

Comment

Not in my opinion. It is rather boring, actually.

Why? because on one hand they are super powerful and can get anything done but then they fail on some very simple tasks. With the Goa'uld, the arrogance factor was done in a rather realistic way. This guys are 10 times more powerful and overall their implementation sux.
                        Well, remember that they themselves can't actually do anything in this galaxy since that would mean warring with the Ancients.

So far, their implementations has been primarily the Plague, and the bugs. Both of which we would've lost to if we didn't get help from somewhere else (ie. Gerak, Orlin).

Hell, we never won against the bugs anyhow.

Comment

Well, remember that they themselves can't actually do anything in this galaxy since that would mean warring with the Ancients.
                          And at some point, they may not care about that anymore. If they continue gaining power like they are, they may feel ready to finally take on the Ancients once and for all. Afterall, there ultimate goal is
                          Spoiler:
                          to destroy the Ancients
                          . If things come to that, boy are we all going to be caught in the middle of one hell of a fight. The fight to end all fights.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I dont know.. ancient vs. bad ancient just seems very freddy vs. jason to me.

However, I do agree that it does have a potential to a very exciting season and series finale. I really hope we see more involvement from Asgards and maybe even Nox and more information about the old alliance. *drools*

Comment

However, I do agree that it does have a potential to a very exciting season and series finale. I really hope we see more involvement from Asgards and maybe even Nox and more information about the old alliance. *drools*
                              Series finale? I think you're jumping the gun a little on that one, bud. If ratings stay decent, I have no doubt season 10 will not be the last season on SG-1.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X