Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain's Hand shows paralells to USN nuclear submarine commands...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Captain's Hand shows paralells to USN nuclear submarine commands...

I found it interesting that they made a big deal about Garner being an engineer.

US Nuclear subs are typically commanded by officers who have an extensive backround working on the boat's nuclear system. This usually results in the command style we saw in the Captain's Hand. More based on clockwork, precision.

This is in direct contrast to US Naval Aircraft Carriers which are ALWAYS commanded by former pilots.

They probably made it a big deal because as it turns out, it was his greatest weakness. He was too much an engineer, not enough of a commander
    -GuyFromOH
    I'm a guy, from Ohio.
    ------------------------------------
    Teal'c: "Chelnak!"
    Daniel: "Direct translation: Very
    cool!"

Comment

Originally posted by GuyFromOH
      They probably made it a big deal because as it turns out, it was his greatest weakness. He was too much an engineer, not enough of a commander
      I'm thinking his greatest weakness was cheeseburgers!
      Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

I'm pretty much thinking that all the commanders of the pegasus must've loved the cafeteria onboard.

Comment

Well, in a way, yes it does parallel the workings on a USN nuclear submarine, but only by chance. It was pretty clear that Admiral Adama didn't really have much of a choice to put a snipe in command.

On our submarines, though, all of the Officers are nuclear trained (except the supply officer) because there are only 13 of them. In the event of an emergency, everyone must know how to do every job. Same for the crew, everybody on the small boat is an expert at everything.

I have no doubt that you already know this, given that you caught the parallel. I'm just elaborating for others.

Comment

In order for a submariner to earn their dolphins (the equivalent of a pilot earning their wings), a submariner has to be qualified on almost every system on a sub. Because a reactor overload would be a disaster of catostrophic proportions, it only makes sense to have most submarine commanders be qualified in the engineering section.

Comment

I thought that very same thing honestly when I watched it.

Comment

Working...
              X