This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, anyone speak Mandarin?

I wanna know what Daniel and that Chinese lady were saying about Mitchell.

me too!!!!

Comment

Okay, I found some people who can speak Mandarin, but I need a video or sound clip of the part where they're speaking it. Anyone wanna help me out?

Comment

i have the whole ep but on my dvr

Comment

http://web.utk.edu/~ccrowe3/2.avi

I originally recorded it with better quality, but I have compressed this clip more to make it easier to download. Hope that works for you.

Comment

Well it sounds fine to me. Hope you can translate it Glugory, I'm dying of curiousity here. Especially what Cam's reply was

Comment

Ok, I speak mandarin and that has got to be the MOST mangled attempt at speaking Chinese. It's a tonal language. This means that in order to convey expression and meaning accurately, the tone and pitch of each word or syllable must be exactly right. The moment you change it, you change the entire meaning of the sentence, or worse substitute different words that have absolutely no contextual meaning.

As far as i can extrapolate from the language (which sounds like some weird hybrid of Japanese, Mandarin and Cantonese), I think the Chinese representative is complimenting Daniel on his command of the language, to which he replies, not as good as her English. She then says as it should be. After that I think she says "what about him?" when she motions to Mitchell. Daniel then replies that they're still trying to get used to him or teach him (or monitor him...something...it was pretty mangled). I have no idea what Mitchell said then. It could be "I understood that" or "I registered that"...something along those lines...
              McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Well I don't speak mandarin, but for TV companies it seems getting a translation right is similiar to rocket science, they seemingly can't get it right.

Comment

Well that's no fun. I hope they were making jokes about Cam. Glugory, do you think you can get a more accurate translation as kryon22 is not realy certain?

Comment

Originally posted by kryon22
                    Ok, I speak mandarin and that has got to be the MOST mangled attempt at speaking Chinese. It's a tonal language. This means that in order to convey expression and meaning accurately, the tone and pitch of each word or syllable must be exactly right. The moment you change it, you change the entire meaning of the sentence, or worse substitute different words that have absolutely no contextual meaning.

As far as i can extrapolate from the language (which sounds like some weird hybrid of Japanese, Mandarin and Cantonese), I think the Chinese representative is complimenting Daniel on his command of the language, to which he replies, not as good as her English. She then says as it should be. After that I think she says "what about him?" when she motions to Mitchell. Daniel then replies that they're still trying to get used to him or teach him (or monitor him...something...it was pretty mangled). I have no idea what Mitchell said then. It could be "I understood that" or "I registered that"...something along those lines...
                    Wellk, it's sci-fi and nobody said they had to be accurate. I guess the budget wasn't there for taking the time to do it properly (takng a wild guess) and they got in somebody local who probably spent a while trying to get the actors to do a passable job and said 'yeah, well, it will work'

Too bad they didn't slip in fun stuff like they did once with Zelenka on SGA...

Comment

Wow... that's horrendous. My first language is Mandarin and I have difficulty understanding the dialogue!

Comment

TPTB shoud have used subtitles if they wanted us to get their little joke. If that's what it was....

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

For those wanting the jokes about Mitchell, I read this on another forum... I cannot confirm its accuracy.

Chinese lady to Jackson:
                          *about Mitchell* "He's cute but doesn't look very bright"
                          Jackson:
                          "He isn't very bright"

Mitchell
                          "Brighter than you think"

Comment

Whoa, didn't expect this topic to get this many posts. Since everyone seems to be saying it's more or less mangled nonsense I wouldn't be surprised if they people I found say the same thing, but nonetheless thanks for the video clip. I'll try to get my people on it and keep you guys up to speed.

Oh, and it took me a while to reply cause I was asleep up until about 5 minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                              For those wanting the jokes about Mitchell, I read this on another forum... I cannot confirm its accuracy.

Chinese lady to Jackson:
                              *about Mitchell* "He's cute but doesn't look very bright"
                              Jackson:
                              "He isn't very bright"

Mitchell
                              "Brighter than you think"
                              No, Mitchell clearly said "F__K you".
                              It was "去你的", couldn't be more clear than that.

Besides Daniel and the chinese lady complimenting each other, I pretty much have no idea what they were talking about Mitchell.

For those who want to know what she said when she slipped, it was "What a bad luck."

Comment

Working...
                              X