This is not your father's Superman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is not your father's Superman

The whole show is far different from both the other TV shows as well as the cartoon.

Ma and Pa Kent are not old farts.
    Lana is Clark's heartthrob.
    Lois showed up in Smallville, and Clark doesn't run into her for the first time in Metropolis.
    Lex has a evil dad, and he's in his 20's, he's not a older gentleman like in every other incarnation.

What am I getting at with this?

I think they should have Clark marry Lana.

I know, I know, people suddenly are standing up and screaming "How can you say that?!? How can you even consider destroying the Superman continuity? Superman ends up with Lois Lane, and that's that!"

Well... see above. EVERYTHING is different. Heck, Clark just lost his dad, and that doesn't happen in either the previous shows OR the comic! This is a different bird, and I think they should continue this trend.

Clark SHOULD marry Lana in the end. Not just a dream, not some stupid do-over where he sees her die and decides to change his mind - at the end, they should have him marry her.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    Lana is Clark's heartthrob.
    But Lana wasClark's heartthrob back in Smallville, in the comics (I thought). But as they grew up, and Lana found out about Clark's powers, they became friends and she was a confidante.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
      Clark just lost his dad, and that doesn't happen in either the previous shows OR the comic!
      Actually, Clark's Dad did die in the comics and in the movies. Prior to 1985, the comic book Mr. Kent dies of a heart attack and that propels Clark into becoming Superman. Also, in the Superman movie, the same thing happens. In 1985, DC comics reworked Superman's origin a little and had Jonathan Kent live.

TPTB have stated that Smallville is based on the first two Superman movies, so Jonathan Kent has to die. I will agree that Smallville is different than anything done with Superman before and that a lot of things are different, (i.e., Lois arriving in Smallville, Chloe, Pete Rose being black, Martha Kent being a Senator, etc.) but mostly everthing thing else has happened in comic book continuity. Lex Luthor did live in Smallville. His father was evil. Jonathan Kent does die. As a avid comic book fanatic, I really like Smallville and applaud the writer's boldness
      -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

But eventually Clark needs to grow up. Sure he is 19 but it's been 5 seasons and he is still lazy and unfocused.
        Honestly does Clark seem smart enough to ever become a reporter? Does he have any desire to leave SV? Has his life changed in any way except his father dying and losing his V card from the first episode of SV?

Comment

Well he got married for a breif time and he graduated from high school yeah so his life has changed a little.
          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

No it didn't. His life changed for one episode.
            I want to see Clark grow up. The murder of his wife should have focused Clark. Instead he was the mopy Lana follower he always was.
            Superman even when he loses his power is a hero. Clark is a (self made) martyr. Superman wants to keep his powers hidden to protect his friends. Clark wants them secret so they don't hate him.
            The biggest problem is that this is a WB show. Not a show on WB. Good looking alleged teens doing things. But this is supposed to be about Superman or at least Clark becoming Superman.

Comment

"The greatest journey begins with the first step" Smallville is a bold series, Clark can't simply go from what he is straight to Superman, the death of his father has propelled him to a new and more defined direction, but he has still got a lot to learn about his heritage and the extent of his powers.

As I recall, the writers have maintained the canon in the show reasonably well, I have always thought that the comics was always changing it rarely stands still, if you have a look at how Superman has changed over the years it is amazing how things have changed, not to mention how the Lois Lane char has changed over the years is truly remarkable.

The definition of a hero in my view is someone who puts the needs of others above his own, while risking life and limb. The reason in my view Clark appears to be a self-martyr, is that he has always managed to keep his powers hidden and deny his heritage, that he is here to live not to conquer. Its Swann's translation which has confused Clark, he believes that Jor-el is an evil entity who wants his son to take over the Earth and make it the New krypton, until Clark is willing to open his mind to Jor-el and is willing to commit himself to learn what Jor-el is willing to teach then Clark will remain confused.

As for the murder of his wife, it has taught him that he has to be careful with his powers, to quote another superhero comic, with "great power comes great responsibility" and Clark is simply learning what this means, in time he will become Superman once he accepts that his father is trustworthy and decides to listen for a change.

Comment

Personally, I'm enjoying seeing the trials the young Superman has to go through. Seeing just how he eventually becomes the great hero we all know he will. I've really come to like this show, and hope we have many more seasons to look forward to.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think the thing I like about this show is that it rejects some of the original timelines supplied by other shows/movies/comics etc. I don't enjoy knowing what's going to happen, but perhaps it they continue to change things and surprise me, it will turn out for the better.

Comment

Working...
                  X