Anyone else worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else worried?

Sorry this is kinda long. I tend to ramble.

I have a feeling that no matter what theory people come up with- no matter how plausible it sounds - it won't explain the show. I was listening to the podcast for The Long Con and it's clear from listening to the producers that there's really too much stuff going on to accuratly pin-point a Point of Destination for the show. I guess the best anyone can really do is theorize. And it's fun and enlightening to do that. But my fear for Lost is it'll become what Alias did with it's mythology and become so dad-blamed mysterious and elusive that you'll end up with large glowing orbs and zombie-fied people and eventually peter out into a convoluted web where there once was a story.

That's not to say we don't know what's going on, we know that these people are on an Island, that a corporation called Dharma was/is running some kind of experimentation project there/thereabouts in the past, and we know something went wrong. We also know that everyone on the island has a connection to each other in their past lives and they all have secrets, weaknesses, losses, fears, which they, in turn, have faced/will face.

If you want to look at it logically, you'd say that they are there to redeem themselves. But who would care enough about them to put them through all that? You could say that the people who played a part in putting them on that plane were perhaps trying to get back at them for something, or perhaps they were/are working with Dharma. Why go through all this trouble with egyptian glyphs and numbers and clouds of smoke and computers? You could also say that maybe our Losties are really Dharma operatives that have been brainwashed! That kind of sinks the boat on some of the other theories. Maybe they're Dharma recruits! Maybe there is no Dharma, maybe they died in the crash and are in purgatory! Agh! Where does it all end??

So, my gist is, how mysterious does it have to get? Or am I worrying too early in the series?

I guess what's pulling at me most is stuff like The Numbers. Damon Lindelof says that the numbers are just sort of a constant in the show. He compares them to the idea of God, if you believe in Him, you don't ask why God is there, you just believe and take it as it is. But then the frakkin' numbers are everywhere! They've gotta mean SOMETHING. It's not like they're being worshipped or something. God has a purpose, he has a plan, the numbers ought to, too. Give me something to work with here!!

Meanwhile, we're too far in to get out now, so...I guess we just have to ride the wave, eh?

Thoughts?
    TEAM SG1 LIVES

I think you may have to ride the wave for a while. My feeling is that if they tell us too much too soon with this story it will be overwith very quickly. I think that it's going places that will be very interesting, but it's one of those cases...how to describe it...it's like a mystery story that once all the clues are put together and the characters find out exactly what is going on, the situation comes to a head very rapidly and then sorts itself out and is overwith before you know it. Most of the fun lies in the piecing it together as you go along, bit by bit.

I also think that with Lost some of the mysteries, while related to each other, derive from separate sources. We're looking at a compounded situation, where everything is ultimately explainable, but layered in its history. I can't say for certain, but I think that's whereabouts we're headed. (I know that sounds vague.) In other words, I think something like the numbers could be very 'incidental' in their function, only superficially related to the 'living smoke' or the physical reason why the plane crashed on the island, and stand mostly to serve as a symbol for larger powers at work, while all the more 'tangible' mysteries eventually get themselves sorted out through the people and events on the island, until we're satisfied with what comes to course.

I was rather turned off by the way Alias went, it's quite confusing what happened there, and what is left to happen now? I'm not really sure where that show is at the present moment...hopefully Lost won't go down the same route. I tend to think it won't, but who can say? But I'll be optimistic. They may have learned something with Alias and won't take us into such confusion again.

Don't know that my own rambling has relieved your concerns any...I can't seem to break my habitual talking in riddles. But oh well. We shall see what happens.

Comment

Oh man, don't even get me started on Alias. I just finished watching the 4th season on DVD a while ago, and was totally like "What. The Hell." But yeah, I do have an underlying fear that LOST could go that way. It seems though that the network has more of an influence on LOST than Alias, so hopefully the Network Execs will keep their top-rated series under control. That said, I also don't want the execs to be totally controlling, cause that would make for a really lame show. I think the balance they have now is pretty good.

In regards to all the mythology, In do feel like I'm getting overloaded with information. At times, there just seems to be too much going on, and I'll see something, forget about it, and 4 weeks later it turns up as an integral part of the plot line and I can't rememebr anything about it. Hopefully this will all work out in the end, and come to some kind of plausible explanation. You know, other than "It was all a dream..."

Comment

i think people need to stop complaining and enjoy watching the show.

the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
          i think people need to stop complaining and enjoy watching the show.
          Lol, I'm not complaining- does it sound like that? I love the mystery to the show, and the mythology, I'm just hoping that further down the road, Lost doesn't get too mysterious for it's own good. A lot of people want to know this and that right this second, and it's only the second season. I'd just kind of like to see more gears turning that alert us to the presence of stability.

I definitely agree with Red Tigress and Tiret though, it's best to see what happens and TPTB will probably surprise us by having something seemingly unexplainable falling into place and propelling the next plot-line.
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

in the end, it would be cool if things were all wrapped up in a neat little package.
            but if it doesn't, i wouldn't be mad. This show is responsible for endless hours of exciting and awesome entertainment. in the end, thats good enough for me.
            all anyone knows how to do anymore (not saying directly to you) is complain. Nothing is ever good enough. Everyone's a critic. This episode sucked. That finale was terrible. What a crappy movie. Star Wars sucked this. The Matrix sucked that.
            I mean c'mon. Its getting absurd.
            I'm happy there's actually a show worth watching on TV. There's only about 4 left that are worth a damn. Why ***** about it at all.
            Remember, I'm not saying this directly to you. I just see it everywhere, and I'm so sick of it, ya know?
            How about enjoying life for a change people!

Comment

all anyone knows how to do anymore (not saying directly to you) is complain. Nothing is ever good enough. Everyone's a critic. This episode sucked. That finale was terrible. What a crappy movie. Star Wars sucked this. The Matrix sucked that.
              I mean c'mon. Its getting absurd.
              I'm happy there's actually a show worth watching on TV. There's only about 4 left that are worth a damn. Why ***** about it at all.
              Remember, I'm not saying this directly to you. I just see it everywhere, and I'm so sick of it, ya know?
              How about enjoying life for a change people!
              I know what you are talking about and it bothers me too. I wouldn't really compare it to what we are doing here, however. There is a difference between people who just like to be mouthy and slam everything - great movies, great shows - and we who are both discerning thinkers and totally devoted fans at the same time. They lead to two completely different and opposite ends...one stirs resentment in fans and creates bad press, the other often contributes to bringing about the 'good' TV of which you agree there isn't nearly enough. One type just likes to tear down, in a pitiful attempt to make himself or herself look smart...the other tries to encourage TPTB to make good decisions, the results of which we could all appreciate.

Again, I do know what you're referring to. I see it espeically heavy in the 'Lost' section of the forum. There are currently a mere two shows that I watch frequently, so I do try to point out areas where I think TV could improve, because I do want to see it improve. I want to see more programs that do the things 'Lost' and 'Stargate' do right (without trying to be replicas of them). What there should be is a healthy balance of praising the good mixed with constructive criticism. That is what contributes to better television, and that is where most 'critics' often fail, and always have.
              Last edited by Tiret; 17 February 2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I really really enjoy LOST and I enjoy it for what it is ..I even like the new character Ana Lucia ..I think she brings an interesting storyline too . As for the mystery ..I think this is what makes the show so popular ..so the mystery has to stay slow ..it's the same with the show Invasion and while the mystery is there but very slow as you discover a little bit each time with more questions than answers , then they can concentrate more on characters development . They both do exactly that in Lost and Invasion

Caty

Comment

I'm happy there's actually a show worth watching on TV. There's only about 4 left that are worth a damn.
                  Hey, true that. Lost has a great production team and set of writers who seem to know what they're doing, lol. It's always good to enjoy a show for what it is, but every show, like Tiret said, should have it's share of thoughtful critisism. Doesn't do any harm to wonder on future plotlines. I like to know where a show's heading, myself. And it makes the show ever funner when you see the fruition of some plotline come to pass something like you'd theorized.

Originally posted by Tiret
                  I want to see more programs that do the things 'Lost' and 'Stargate' do right (without trying to be replicas of them).
                  Me too. I really hate it when one new show comes out that has a unique story to tell, and next thing you know, all these other shows are popping up all Spam-Like, just like it! You practically have to wait years for the next great non-pilfered show to spring up from the land of inspiration.
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

well i know where the show is going
                    Spoiler:
                    they will end up dieing or being found

after all they cant keep a show like this up for more than 4 seasons really.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                      Me too. I really hate it when one new show comes out that has a unique story to tell, and next thing you know, all these other shows are popping up all Spam-Like, just like it! You practically have to wait years for the next great non-pilfered show to spring up from the land of inspiration.
                      Heh, Crime Dramas, anyone? "oh, I can't haing out with you tonight, because I have to watch my 4 Law and Order shows, my 3 CSI shows, and then all the other crime shows that spin off of them..."

Not that I don't watch some of those...heh heh...

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress
                        Heh, Crime Dramas, anyone? "oh, I can't haing out with you tonight, because I have to watch my 4 Law and Order shows, my 3 CSI shows, and then all the other crime shows that spin off of them..."

Not that I don't watch some of those...heh heh...
                        Lol! Yup! CSI ain't that bad actually...but one version's good enough for me.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                          Lol! Yup! CSI ain't that bad actually...but one version's good enough for me.
                          I like the regular CSI and CSI:NY, cause Gary Sinese is the man. Miami's the only one I can't stand, though. As far as other crime dramas go, I like Numb3rs, but it usually makes me feel stupid. Oh wait, LOST does that on occasion, too. >_<

Comment

In the end if there is one, I"m sure we'll get answers to all our 'speculations/theories', but to get to that point, well have to wait until then, which can become frustrating at times. I'm starting to lose track of what is what now.... And there's no new episode until after March2nd for us for 4 weeks???
                            Don't make me zat you

It took us 15 years and 3 super computers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth.

Dial=> http://www.pathcom.com/~kcheung for days remaining until the Vancouver con!

Comment

i think we got some good clues last night

Comment

Working...
                              X