This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Little Engine That Could, But Didn't

In my time Ive seen a lot of science fiction shows. Thousands of ideas pop up in people's brains every year. Most of them never make it past that person's mind, but some do manage to make it to production and past the scrutinised pilot.
    Only some become huge shows, with forums, followers, even sister-shows. This is because of the ravenous post-production chats.
    Many shows are cancelled after the first season, and for good reason. They aren't raking in enough money because of poor ratings. It would be nice if these shows deserved it. Poor acting, plot-lines, characters or, in sci-fi, costumes and special effects would be admirable reasons. But in many cases this, quite frankly, isn't so.
    Many of these shows go down the drain because of poor advertising, slots or a variety of other problems. The notorious Friday night slot is a prime example of this. Most shows placed here are abandonned by viewers and so, by networks.
    These reasons, to be honest, seem unfair. These shows may have thrived if they had been given the proper chance, but they weren't, so they didn't.
    I have made this thread to ask your views on the matter. And to ask you if you know of any examples. Do you know of any shows which you feel were good enough to be successful but were 'victimised'. Some of the more recent ones that spring to my mind are Odyssey (sp?) 5 and Dark Angel, both of which were IMHO excellent shows, but were cancelled prematurely. Also any shows which, at first, were exciting and wonderful but, after a couple of seasons, turned rather bland.
    Godspeed, Don.

Space: Above & Beyond springs immediately to mind. It was a great, gritty war drama set in space and it had good, believable characters and great FX that didn't overshadow the stories. The series finale was one of the most traumatic finales of TV I've ever watched, but it was also amazing. It set the bar for how I measure everything else.

Now & Again. Much lighter in scope, but the characters all had great chemistry and I loved the snappy dialogue and somewhat "out there" stories.

Cupid. It was more light-hearted fantasy than serious sci-fi, but I loved it and still miss it (as I do the other two). Jeremy Piven was most excellent and again, it was a great cast with deliciously snappy dialogue. It's also one of the few shows that has ever actually given me hope...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      Now & Again. Much lighter in scope, but the characters all had great chemistry and I loved the snappy dialogue and somewhat "out there" stories.
      Was that the show with the guy whose wife and daughter believed him to be dead, but he was secretly alive in a new body or something like that (but with more of an actual plot)?

If so, they showed that on TV here in Norway but I only caught one episode or so (which is why my memory of it is somewhat fuzzy). I do remember taking a liking to it. Guess I should have watched it more when I had the chance...
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
        Was that the show with the guy whose wife and daughter believed him to be dead, but he was secretly alive in a new body or something like that (but with more of an actual plot)?
        That would be the one. A "secret branch of the US government" transplanted his brain into the body of a much younger, much buffer superhuman-type gengineering marvel played by Eric Close. A lot of the show revolved around "Michael" trying to stay in his family's life without telling them exactly who he was... because if he did, he could get them ALL killed.

The doctor in charge of him was played by... er... wossname, who I think plays the president in 24.

Comment

Except for Stargate, I don't follow commercial television series. I only watch Stargate on SciFi because it was originally on Showtime without commercials. I've missed a lot of TV series(es?)...good or bad.

I really liked Odyssey 5. It had a limited shelf-life anyway (5 years...then what?), but it was canceled after the 1st season. I've never even seen the last episodes, which were filmed but never broadcast. It had Peter Weller and Christopher Gorham, even John Neville was in the pilot! It pretty good premise upon which to build, although some of the FX were a little...um...Cronenberg-esque.

It was a shame, but maybe in that case being on Showtime was not the best idea. I wonder if it would have been better off on SciFi. Same could be said of Jeremiah, although that appears to have been more of a production-relations breakdown rather than poor ratings.

Neither O5 or Jeremiah had anywhere near the advertising push as Stargate Atlantis...an advertising blitz that simply could not be ignored. Not even Stargate SG-1 ever got that kind of treatment! I'm sure it is partly - if not mostly - responsible for the high ratings on the premiere.
          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
          once done, cannot be undone...
          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Both Odyssey 5 and Jeremiah had a limited audience to begin with, being on a premuim channel. Can't really say anything else about them since I've never had a chance to view either.

Now & Again and Space:AaB were pretty good shows.

A couple more I can think of are
            Earth 2 ABC's footballed space colony.
            Space Rangers.. Actually, I can't remember much about this one except that at the time it was on I enjoyed watching it.
            The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

FIREFLY!!!!

My second favourite Sci-fi series of all time, and Fox canned it after 13 episodes. I can't wait for the movie to come out, and Fox won't get a penny

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                Both Odyssey 5 and Jeremiah had a limited audience to begin with, being on a premium channel. Can't really say anything else about them since I've never had a chance to view either.
                That's what I was trying to say. They were both well produced stories that had a lot of potential. I think Showtime was looking for its next "Stargate", but premium cable is risky. Even with Stargate, it is more popular outside the US than within and was the same when it was broadcasting on Showtime.
                Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                once done, cannot be undone...
                brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I agree with what most of what you said...besides the stuff about Dark Angel and stuff. I wasn't too fond of them. It's really sad that The Simple Life 2 gets more advertising than quality SCIFI shows. Who the hell wants to see a brainless mulatto and a ho bag rich bish pretend to act humble?

Comment

Jake 2.0
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

I miss Noaw and Again, SeaQuest: DSV, Space AaB looked really good, but I never got to see too many episodes. Quantum Leap had a good run, so I can't complain about that too much.

Comment

DA got booted too early. S:AAB got booted WAY too early, Odyessy 5 got booted WAY WAY to early.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Anyone remeber "strange Luck"? That was a good show. And "The Visitor".

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Strange Luck was lots of fun. I liked the lead character (and actor) a lot. It was a really weird premise and I remember being upset that we never got to find out just what was up with Chance...

The Visitor I never got into when it originally aired, but I caught the reruns on SCIFI and liked it.

Brimstone, anyone? It sounds like it may have been the precursor to The Collector. I really liked it and to this day I still think of Glover as the Devil. Wossname was pretty hot, too, and not just because of the trenchcoat.

Comment

i really liked Earth 2. I couldn't believe that it got canned so quickly. I never saw Space Above and Beyond but I'm starting to wish that I had. They had Kindred: The Embraced or something like that on on as a summer series that I wish they had kept going with. I like the vampire shows.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                              X