This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Much Comedy?

Is the SG-1 team going to far from the occasional witty banter to full on comedy skit team in this season?

For myself...I feel the occasional witty banter is there...but they also take things serious...though I think they are walking a thin line...it could EASILY be said that the direction the characters are heading is a less-serious, more c4-person comedy routine if the writers are not careful.

But what about you? do you feel the team is still only the occasional witty banter? Or have they traveled into the forbidden and become a 4 person comedy routine?
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

I wasn't liking how the spoke so lightly of their situation during Off the Grid. I didn't mind their banter in the corn field, but when the Lucian Alliance goons had them at gun point... they should've acted a bit more seriously.
    http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

i dont think theres too much comedy. And the reason why Sg-1 wasnt serious was because they wernt that worried as they knew that the Odyssey would eventually come and get them.
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I've always loved the banter and humorous slant of SG1. It puts them way above many Sci-Fi shows. At the same time, a few of the episodes this year seem to have gone into the direction of a "dramedy", and some of the banter seems rather forced instead of a natural humor coming out of a situation that's happening. The "old" banter between Daniel and Jack always seemed so natural, but what I've seen this year has too many times degenerated into scripted one-liners that are many times out of place in the situation.

I'm hoping they manage to find the right "pacing" for the humorous banter for the characters so that it feels right and natural and the right kind of humor for each individual character.
        EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITIES, ONE STARGATE AT A TIME

Comment

I like humour, but The Cam/Dan Comedy Minute every episode gets a little tiring. Jack was always kind of subtle with his wit, and Daniel was always a natural comedian with those looks and gestures, lol. Now it feels a tad forced...
          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
            I like humour, but The Cam/Dan Comedy Minute every episode gets a little tiring. Jack was always kind of subtle with his wit, and Daniel was always a natural comedian with those looks and gestures, lol. Now it feels a tad forced...
            I have to wonder how much of that was Richard Dean Anderson being himself...the adlibs and little jokes that got the others to crack up or almost fall out of character. There was just a natural aire around them together that I'm not sensing now.

I feel the same way about the new dynamic. It seems forced and adds to the general sense that the team is not a cohesive unit/family like it used to be.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I have to wonder how much of that was Richard Dean Anderson being himself.
              One of the boxsets had a special feature on RDA where he talked about this a bit... Apparently he came up with a fair few of the jokes (the Dorothy/Wizard of Oz related lines, and the "short, fat, bald guy, I think his name is Homer" line about Gen. Hammond)...

It's obviously not the same now, and it shouldn't be. I think McKay is actually the funniest character out of both shows...
              First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Comedy has always been a part of the show, probably even to the degree it is now. The difference is the subtlety of the humor and quality of presentation, which I think has decreased significantly. Mitchell, especially, seems to have an immature sense of humor that everyone just rolls their eyes at.
                SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

yeah. with rda it was always a sly kind of humor. a look, a glance, nothing OTT

but with cam??? on a tear it's reminisisent of larry, moe and curly time

way too slapstick and juvenile
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The thing about comedy is it's so subjective. What one person find hillarious, someone else hates. Not everyone got Jack's sarcasm either.

I enjoy it, but that's just me. I don't think it's a question of to much, but not enough of the comedy everyone is used to. Yet, since Jack is gone, it make sense that it is not the same. Cam is no Jack.
                    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I'm a big fan of subtlety...RDA, IMO, was the one that kept things in kilter, while making sure a subtle thread of humour or wit was present.

This year, I get the feeling they're trying to replicate that atmosphere, and while it does have it's moments (normally at the sgc) it comes across overall as being a bit stressed and false...as if they're trying too hard.

Remember another thing - when Jack was anxious, nervous or frightened, he used humour to hide that. It just seems to me that SG1 are a bit blase (sp?) in the face of danger, rather than concealing their fear with wit.
                      sigpic
                      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

true, humor is very subjective

me? i'm a sublte kinda person. i find slapstick silly and embarrassing and mean

i wn't watch lucille ball because i don't see her stuff as funny, i see her making a fool of herself for the sake of a laugh. the same with teh stooges

so, a lot of mitch's humor that's along that vein so doesn't appeal to me

jack's snarks and quips, that's the kind of humor that i enjoy
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

The Stargate shows have always employed humor and I appreciate that. However, it seems like recently they've been putting humor in situations that should be more serious, like Mitch and Dan's banter in 4th Horsemen, pt 2. I certainly don't want the Stargates to become serious to the point of BSG, but there is a time and a place for humor and I think TPTB should scale it back a little.

Comment

not at all it's always good.

anyway the comedy in SG1 is far better than SGA and miles ahead of farcrap.

at the same time SG1 feels more real and then at times it doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by GhostPoet
                              But what about you? do you feel the team is still only the occasional witty banter? Or have they traveled into the forbidden and become a 4 person comedy routine?
                              I don't think the team has traveled into the forbidden at all. Actually, I've loved most of the comedic moments this season. Daniel and Mitchell are forming quite the good team in that respect. This show has always clung to witty banter, and I don't feel that has changed. What has, is the style of banter. Yes, Mitchell is no O'Neill. But he shouldn't have to be. I want to see what else he has in him.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X