Have you noticed the black smoke...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you noticed the black smoke...?

I know we've all seen the black smoke on the island. Beware potential spoiler's below up through and including the most recent episode in the U.S.

That smoke chased Locke at the end of last season, and Mr. Eko stared it down not too long ago. I first started thinking about it during Eko's showdown, because it looked like the smoke formed the shape of face (a la Abyss but not nearly as defined). Then a couple of reruns played and I saw it in people's backstories... Hurley: when the house be bought his mom went up in flames a big plume of smoke came up. Kate: I'm pretty sure there was one when she blew up her old house and 'dad'. Sayid: When the US soldiers left him on the side of the road, there was a big cloud of it from I'm assuming the oil wells. And I'm pretty sure that Eko confronted it in his Africa back story...
    I don't know what it is other than seeing it in a few storylines... Has anyone else noticed or can recall black smoke in another passenger's backstory?

there's no reason that the smoke would exist outside of the island.
    it doesn't even make sense that it would.

if you want to talk about the smoke, why don't we talk about how it did this:

Yes. its on the DVDs too.
    Check them. Pilot episode. You'll see it.

Also in the pilot, you can see a little black whisp swoosh around the dude that gets "sucked" into the jet engine (right before it explodes) - making it seem like he was tossed by the cloud, not sucked in.

Comment

WOW thats frakkin cool Morbo, how did you catch that one? Green for you
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

You've heard the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" right? Well, where there's fire, there's gonna be smoke, too. The trick is to find instances of smoke WITHOUT an apparent source of fire. So far I've only seen fireless smoke on the island.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
          WOW thats frakkin cool Morbo, how did you catch that one? Green for you
          people noticed it way back when the pilot originally aired, actually.

I'm actually surprised no one here has seen it before. We've been discussing it since last season at my other forums.

Hm.

Comment

I'm surprised no one here noticed, either. Especially since there was a whole thread about it for a while. ...Or maybe that was way back before the Lost folder when everything was in the ONE thread. It was definitely discussed, though.

Comment

Idid notice that wall of smoke in Sayid's backstory. But do you think it was actually THE smoke, or just a metaphor? for a while people were sayinf the smoke was lots of Nano machines, like in Michael Crichton's book Prey, but I think TPTB offcially said "no" to that theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo

Also in the pilot, you can see a little black whisp swoosh around the dude that gets "sucked" into the jet engine (right before it explodes) - making it seem like he was tossed by the cloud, not sucked in.
                I saw a lot of stuff flying around during the pilot. I'll have to re-watch it of course, but methinks it was all just debris that was still flying around and snapping off of things.

As for the smoke...according to my personal theory, it would probably an anomoly that somehow figures back to when they were kidnapped and drugged by Dharma Operatives.

*is sticking to that theory*
                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

you can clearly see above though that that is not debris.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo

Holy - !

The little clues you (or I) never notice!

This was seen all the way back in the pilot. Wow!
                    I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Tigress
                      Idid notice that wall of smoke in Sayid's backstory. But do you think it was actually THE smoke, or just a metaphor?
                      I think it was probably just a convenient way to echo the scenes of rising black smoke on the island, almost like foreshadowing in reverse. (or not in reverse...because the scene was a flash back in time...) It was quite visually stunning, either way. I noticed a lot of nice shots on 'Lost' this week...and on SG1 as well. There's some good cinematography going on, which I like very much!

Comment

i commented before about the smoke at hurlys house looking like the creature
                        somone said it was bad animation but i still think the numbers are linked to the creature
                        anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Well I watched the pilot last night on TIVO in slow motion. The beach scene at the begining. I counted at least 8 to 10 black things flying around just like what hit the motor. I also saw some smoke push the guy into the engine. I saw one RED flash of smoke go across the screen along with 2 blueish white ones. They were not debris and were not people. I can REALY slow the video down with the TIVO. You see all kind of stuff that you can't see normally. I also saw what looked like a OTHER standing over and behind jack when he was pulling that guy out from under the wreckage. It was quite freaky how much stuff was flying around. The debris flew in a much slower motion, and you could actually tell what it was. The smoke was wicked fast.

I also will say that I used the TIVO to slow down the video of the smoke and Mr Echo. WOW. If you have a TIVO and still have it saved, watch it again. When the camera panned in front of Echo and thru the smoke you could see all kind of stuff in the smoke. This a list of what I saw in the smoke.

1. Jesus on the cross
                          2. The man he shot to save his brother when they were kids
                          3. His mother
                          4. The woman that was handling the Virgin Marys in front of the church.
                          5. His brother
                          6. The guy that shot his brother when they were going to go on the Yellow plane.

Seems like there were a few other things, but I cant remember what they are. The smoke thing is weird. The things flying around the beach were crazy. They were everywhere. TIVO is the bomb for watching this. I used it to figure out early on that the trees were just being ripped out of the ground by what I think now was smoke. Very weird. Just thought I would add this info. I dont know if its been posted before.

Clay

Comment

yeah i posted screenshots of the pictures that show up in the smoke with ecko in the thread for that episode.

and glad to see i wasn't the only one who saw the little whisps toss the guy into the engine too.

Comment

Mentioned on another thread, but figured it beared repeating...this is actually quite interesting...

Bad Twin

Scroll down to where it says About the Author.

As for the smoke, I did take notice of it, but just figured it superficial...now that someone's said something about it, though, I'm not so sure...
                              http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X