PDA

View Full Version : Eureka : Episode Discussion /Speculation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

morjana
September 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
With many thanks to Ellen for the heads up on this article:

SG1/SGA are mentioned in this article on a new SciFi Channel series.

From Variety:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117929651?categoryid=14&cs=1

Sci Fi high on 'Eureka'
Drama neither spin-off franchise nor space opera

By DENISE MARTIN

Sci Fi Channel has greenlit 13 episodes of "Eureka," a quirky one-
hour billed as a cross between "Northern Exposure" and "Twin Peaks."
Drama stars Colin Ferguson ("Coupling") as a federal marshal who gets
stranded in the small northwestern town of Eureka. He quickly
discovers the town is composed of oddball geniuses assembled by the
government to conduct top-secret research -- a clustering that may
inadvertently put their lives at risk.

Andrew Cosby (UPN's "Haunted") and Jamie Paglia wrote the script and
will exec produce the series. Production begins in January in
Vancouver for a summer 2006 premiere. NBC Universal TV produces and
will distribute the series.

"Eureka" is the first original series in recent Sci Fi history not
spun off from an existing franchise. It's also the first drama to
strike out of the space opera genre.

Exec VP of programming Mark Stern said the show will be a major part
of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi
geeks.

"This is the first scripted series we've done that really reaches out
to a new audience," Stern said. "Moving forward, we'd like to expand
beyond space and aliens. Frankly, those are things you can get on the
broadcast networks now."

Sci Fi last year premiered "Legend of Earthsea," a mini based in the
fantasy genre, to tepid response. Cabler will take another swing with
the Bryan Singer and Dean Devlin produced event skein "The Triangle,"
about mysteries revolving around the Bermuda Triangle.

"Eureka" was one of two drama pilots in consideration for a series
pickup (Daily Variety, Jan. 14). The other was "Painkiller Jane";
Stern said not to count it of contention.

Project still could receive a series greenlight, but only after it's
weighed against another pilot about to go into production. Exec was
tightlipped on the details of the second project but said, "We're
still focused on finding a cool superhero drama."

"Painkiller," also from NUTS, is a comicbook adaptation about a young
woman exposed to a biochemical weapon that gives her self-healing
powers. Production wrapped early this year.

Salli Richardson-Wittfield, Greg Germann, Joe Morton, Debrah
Farentino, Maury Chaykin, Matt Frewer and Jordan Hinson also star
in "Eureka." Series next year likely will be joined by new seasons of
Sci Fi's dramas -- "Battlestar Galactica," "Stargate SG-1"
and "Stargate Atlantis" -- which all helped the cabler climb 4% in
the adults 18-49 demo this summer. Block will be back in January to
finish out the season.

Sci Fi's most recent launch, the reality skein "Master Blasters," was
shelved after the first three episodes bowed to poor ratings.

© 2005 Reed Business Information

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 25th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Looks like an interesting show. I may watch it.

Qasim
September 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Same here - oddball geniuses should be funny

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 25th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Qasim not insulting you but
your really don't have a life
eh, neither do I

AGateFan
September 25th, 2005, 04:42 PM
So let me get this straight and executive from the "SCI FI channel" said "show will be a major part of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi geeks.".... Yo way to insult your core audience Mark.

And they indicated "we'd like to expand beyond space and aliens.". Actually besides SG-1, SG-A and BSG they dont actually do that much space aliens, they do mostly crappy monsters and lots and lots and lots of vampires...

This just confirms for me that the Sci fi channel doesnt have a clue. I will give the new shows a chance, but if the sci fi guys are involved in its creation I have no doubt it will fail. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Sci Fi channel? Its such an awesome concept with such poor execution it makes me sick.

Naeara
September 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Well, I'll check it out. If only because the pilot was filmed down the road from me. :p

prion
September 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM
So let me get this straight and executive from the "SCI FI channel" said "show will be a major part of ongoing efforts to broaden the cablercabler's base beyond sci-fi geeks.".... Yo way to insult your core audience Mark.

And they indicated "we'd like to expand beyond space and aliens.". Actually besides SG-1, SG-A and BSG they dont actually do that much space aliens, they do mostly crappy monsters and lots and lots and lots of vampires...

This just confirms for me that the Sci fi channel doesnt have a clue. I will give the new shows a chance, but if the sci fi guys are involved in its creation I have no doubt it will fail. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Sci Fi channel? Its such an awesome concept with such poor execution it makes me sick.

Television executives pigeonhole ALL audiences. No, SciFi executives aren't the brainest bunch out there, and once the STargate shows leave their corral for good, they'll probably lose a chunk of audience. Even though their Saturday night lame movie night ("popcorn" movies) does draw in sizeable numbers.

However, you need to see the actual quote from the scifi exec to see what he said and in what context. As you can see, the remarks weren't in quotes. But he probably used the words anyway;) We are nothing more than numbers to them, and they'll cater to us viewers/fans/geeks/etc. if it increases their ratings, and in tandem, their advertising revenue.

It would be interesting to see what kind of audience all their shows draw, all the demographics, etc. CSI thought they'd draw in a large male audience, but it's actually women who are their biggest audience. It's not the gore, but the mystery that draws in the female audience (and the hunky CSIs aren't bad to look at either :D ).

SciFi would love the male 18-25 audience because they're faster and looser with their cash than say, the 45-54 demographic.

But in retrospect, EUREKA doesn't sound like it's going to be anything TOO new from the sounds of it. Virtually all scifi- type series have "oddball" characters. Sheesh, just look at THRESHOLD.

MarshAngel
September 26th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I will watch. I usually give every new scifi/fantasy series at least 15 mins to wow me. I'm going to go with my usual low expectations however, it usually increases enjoyment unless it's absolutely horrible.

Scifi doesn't have a good track record of producing good originals, or quite frankly "original" anything. Prime example: codename Eternity which was an exercise in bad acting, bad effects, rehashed ideas, and just plain overall badness. The success of any new venture they're going to embark on will depend on them stepping out of their formula, hiring some real acting talent and making some effort to avoide cliches and bad effects.

It's a real pity they don't seem to listen to fan complaints or they don't care or don't have the brain power to make the changes needed to make something of quality. I hope Eureka is an indication they may actually be trying.

MediaSavant
September 26th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Scifi doesn't have a good track record of producing good originals, or quite frankly "original" anything. Prime example: codename Eternity which was an exercise in bad acting, bad effects, rehashed ideas, and just plain overall badness.

SciFi didn't produce Codename:Eternity.

That was a series they acquired cheaply from the UK long after it had been produced.

It was a "space filler".

It's always interesting to me how the average viewer doesn't know where some of these shows come from.

An acquisition is very different from a show developed from scratch.

MarshAngel
September 26th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the correction. I will alter my statement to say: The show they acquired sucked. They have poor taste.

jree
September 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Would this show replace SG-1, if they decide not to produce season 10? Why is Sci-fi positioning this show now before they decide on SG-1?

DrNicket
October 28th, 2005, 01:48 AM
My car and I were extras on "Eureka". 5 days in all, 3 for my car (Black '85 Merc Cougar; Look for it ).

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/4174/dsc02920a4yh.th.jpg (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc02920a4yh.jpg)

I'm happy to hear it got picked up. However, as often seems the case they may not be filming it where they did the pilot (Vancouver Island: Glenora, Ladysmith, Nanaimo, possibly others). Downtown Eureka was shot in Ladysmith. I loved seeing all the 'brainy' redressings like "E=MC Square".

http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/4731/emcsquare1ak.th.jpg (http://img475.imageshack.us/my.php?image=emcsquare1ak.jpg)

I was asked to look at the camera (a typical no-no and rarity for extras) at one point so if that shot was kept, my 15 seconds (or 2) may be at hand!

Maybe it's just me, and maybe it's just because 'Crazy Eddie' was there, but I got a strong "First Wave" vibe from the show. They had Nostradamus, we had a town populated by IQ Chart Toppers. What do you predict will happen?

Be Well,

DrNicket

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=34146

Debrah Farentino isn't a scientist, but she plays one on SCI FI Channel's upcoming original series Eureka (http://www.scifi.com/eureka/)—oh, wait: She really is a scientist, studying for her bachelor's degree in molecular biology at Los Angeles' Mount St. Mary's College. More ...

Trek_Girl42
January 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I'm looking forward to this show (if we actually get it in Canada.....hopefully SPACE will pick it up).....the pilot was partially filmed in my neighborhood, so I'm interested. Show sounds worthy of checking out, nice and sciency.:)

MarshAngel
February 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM
A bit more information on Scifi's upcoming series Eureka which premiers this summer on Fridays: http://www.iesb.net/events/021506.php

“Eureka” tells the story of U.S. Marshall Jack Carter, played by Ferguson, who gets stranded in the strange town of Eureka while transporting a fugitive. He is hired on as the town's new “sheriff” when he discovers its inhabitants are really a secret community of super geniuses doing scientific research for the government. With his ex-Special Forces “deputy,” Carter is there to make sure the residents don't get out of hand and clean up the mess when they do. Ferguson describes his character as “a Job, where everything goes wrong, but he gets the job done anyway.”

In addition to Carter and his deputy, the main cast will include the government therapist assigned to keep the populace sane and Carter's love interest, a Department of Defense agent. Cosby also intends to populate the X-Files-esque show with many recurring characters, such as Henry, a jack-of-all-trades who's really a brilliant engineer (played by Joe Morton), and Max Headroom himself Matt Frewer, who fixes the nastier problems in town. According to Stokes, a lot of stars in the sci-fi community are interested in guest starring, such as cult figure Bruce Campbell and the Bionic Man himself, Lee Majors.

I've never seen Northern exposure so I can't comment on any similarities but this reminds me of X-Files meets Tremors without the worms (I hope) for some reason. Still it sounds interesting and if they avoid the cliches (creature features and plotholes you could drive a truck through) that are oft attributed to scifi, this should be worth checking out.

yaaayoubetcha
February 16th, 2006, 10:21 AM
i'm really interested in this show.

it's intrigued me since i saw the first advert last year.

this info is great.

the fifth man
February 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I know I'll give it a chance. If it sucks, it sucks. But hopefully it won't. Sci-Fi channel can use all the good shows it can get. The Stargates, SG-1 and Atlantis, and BSG can't keep that channel going all alone.

creed462
February 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I know I'll give it a chance. If it sucks, it sucks. But hopefully it won't. Sci-Fi channel can use all the good shows it can get. The Stargates, SG-1 and Atlantis, and BSG can't keep that channel going all alone.
So ture, When is it starting

MarshAngel
May 10th, 2006, 06:46 PM
So ture, When is it starting
Eureka is premiering on July 17. TV.com has some pictures from the show:

http://www.tv.com/eureka/show/58448/photos.html

Trek_Girl42
May 10th, 2006, 07:37 PM
The character's name is Jack Carter.....lol

Does anyone know if this show will air in Canada?????:confused:

Trek_Girl42
May 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Looks like Maury Chayken (Nerus) guest stars in the pilot.

the fifth man
May 10th, 2006, 11:18 PM

I'm sorry, that's just too obvious to be a coincidence. To me, anyways.:)

Trek_Girl42
May 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry, that's just too obvious to be a coincidence. To me, anyways.:)
Subliminal advertising.....;)

knowles2
May 11th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Sound like a good series, I wonder ifwe will be getting it over here in the uk.

the fifth man
May 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Subliminal advertising.....;)

Indeed!:) Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

Trek_Girl42
May 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Sound like a good series, I wonder ifwe will be getting it over here in the uk.
You will- I believe it will be airing on sky one in the UK.

Indeed!:) Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.
Especially if it's Stargate.;)

warmbeachbrat
May 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I've been intrigued by this show since I saw the preview on TV. I don't know why, but it puts me in mind of Eerie, Indiana (a show that was killed way too soon). I hope it lives up to its promise.

SGLAB
June 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I've been intrigued by this show since I saw the preview on TV. I don't know why, but it puts me in mind of Eerie, Indiana (a show that was killed way too soon). I hope it lives up to its promise.

Every time I see the title for this thread I read it as Eerie, Indiana.

So we have another Jack as the lead male. It was amusing after about the first 100 shows and movies I've come across with the lead male named Jack, but it's getting a little old. :rolleyes:

Other than that it sounds like it could be a good show.

Trek_Girl42
June 6th, 2006, 05:15 PM
For those who dwell in Canada it looks like it will be coming to SPACE in the fall. :)

With the number of shows coming all around that same time frame I'll have no life.....;)

BSG, SGA, Eureka, 4400, hopefully SG-1.....and that's just stuff on SPACE.:)

jazz!
June 8th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Does anyone know if this show will air in Canada?????:confused:

Haha, I'll start watching it for that name combo alone... but it sounds intriguing enough ( and looks cools enough ) that I'll stay cos of the story.

Trek_Girl42
June 9th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Haha, I'll start watching it for that name combo alone... but it sounds intriguing enough ( and looks cools enough ) that I'll stay cos of the story.
Lol!

I've got some pics that I took while they were here filming, I'll see if I can dig up some good ones and I'll post them if I can find the time to edit them.:)

morjana
June 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM
The SciFi Channel has a new web site available for their new series, "Eureka" (starring Jack Carter - LOL!), that premieres Tuesday, July 18th at 9pm.

http://www.scifi.com/eureka/

"Nestled in the Pacific Northwest, Eureka is a seemingly ordinary town whose residents lead ordinary lives … at least to the naked eye. Shrouded in secrecy, the picturesque hamlet is actually a community of scientific geniuses assembled by the government to conduct top-secret research."

The site has available:

June 15, 2006

Watch exclusive video previews of Eureka and cast interviews on SCI FI Pulse

http://www.scifi.com/pulse/

Everything else (About, News, Episodes, Cast, Video, Gallery, Download and Bboard) appears to be inactive at this time.

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

ShadowMaat
June 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM
So is Eureka the series they invented to give all their "This is SCIFI" spot writers something to do between gigs? 'cause all the commercials I've seen so far look like the kinds of funky things they do to advertise the network. The basketball court/skate park, the self-constructing home, the walking boat...

I'm curious to see the show, but I hope it has SOME kind of substance.

Trek_Girl42
June 17th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the link!

morjana
June 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the link!

You're welcome.

:)

Morjana

warmbeachbrat
June 20th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I didn't realize Deborah Farentino was going to be in it. She was great in Earth 2, so it will be nice to see her again.

It's set in the Pacific Northwest--I wonder if it's going to remain that nebulous, or if they have a specific locale in mind.

MarshAngel
June 21st, 2006, 04:45 AM
Well I'm guessing the specific locale will be "Eureka" ;)

warmbeachbrat
June 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
Well I'm guessing the specific locale will be "Eureka" ;)

I phrased that badly, didn't I? :p

I meant, I wonder if it's supposed to be in Washington, or Oregon, or what; or if it's near Seattle, or the Canadian border, or Mount Hood--you know, that kind of thing.

MarshAngel
June 21st, 2006, 01:22 PM
I had an idea what you meant but that was irresistable. :)

warmbeachbrat
June 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
*sigh* I make myself such an easy target, don't I? :p

starlightgazer
June 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I actually just recently caught wind of this (and this thread has definately helped to fill me in).

There are some really cool promos on the official site (www.scifi.com/eureka)

Looks awesome....sort of like a Twin Peaks meets X Men meets Northern Exposure or something.

Its on Tuesdays, right?

Otera
June 22nd, 2006, 11:51 AM
Its on Tuesdays, right?
indeed.

starlightgazer
June 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
indeed.

Is it up against anything good? I'll be tuning in for sure....

MarshAngel
June 28th, 2006, 05:04 PM
As a general rule, summer tv sucks. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that it will conflict with. Everything else worth watching is in reruns.

starlightgazer
July 9th, 2006, 11:17 AM
As a general rule, summer tv sucks. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that it will conflict with. Everything else worth watching is in reruns.

Yeah, that's true. I tend to restrict my TV watching in the summer bc the weather here in DC is generally so nice. Anyway, the media coverage that I've read thus far has been pretty good. (USA Today had a good article a few days ago).

Looking forward to July 18th.

warmbeachbrat
July 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to this show more than any other except Stargate. I was so disappointed to realize it's NEXT week and not this week that it's on.

Did anyone catch Psych?

starlightgazer
July 10th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I missed Psych. How was it??

Yeah, I honestly just keep looking at the official site. The Fish Out of Water promo is my favorite. The guy that plays Jack Carter, in addition to being really foxy, looks like a good actor.

warmbeachbrat
July 10th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I missed Psych. How was it??

Yeah, I honestly just keep looking at the official site. The Fish Out of Water promo is my favorite. The guy that plays Jack Carter, in addition to being really foxy, looks like a good actor.

I really like it. The two lead characters have good buddy-buddy chemistry and the plot and dialog was well-written. It was a pretty funny and entertaining show--too bad it's on Friday nights.

Uh, Fish Out of Water promo? I think I've missed that one....

BackStageJim
July 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM
For some reason I fel like this might be similar to 'Eerie, Indiana' from a few years back. But heck, its something new during the summer.

All hail the USAF
July 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Wait wait wait...Jack Carter? Thats cool...I wonder when Samatha Jackson and George O'Niell or maybe Daniel Hammond are gonna show up...

warmbeachbrat
July 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
For some reason I fel like this might be similar to 'Eerie, Indiana' from a few years back. But heck, its something new during the summer.

I loved Eerie, Indiana, so that wouldn't break my heart.

rarocks24
July 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
No, but the 9 million they can get by signing a contract to get Surface will. ;)

MarshAngel
July 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Well the show premiers tomorrow. Scifipedia has a fairly thorough article on the series and the characters: http://scifipedia.scifi.com/index.php/Eureka

Tok'Ra Hostess
July 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
So we have another Jack as the lead male. It was amusing after about the first 100 shows and movies I've come across with the lead male named Jack, but it's getting a little old. :rolleyes:

You're tellin' me. :rolleyes:

Why can't a hero be named, I dunno... Alfred, or Donald, or Gerald or Marjorie, or Edna? In tv/movieland, names like these would be downright exotic. :P

Still, looking forward to tomorrow night. :)

warmbeachbrat
July 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hey! I saw the guy who played Nerus on Stargate in one of the Eureka previews last night!

Oreo
July 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
^ Knowing Sci-fi they are probably going to make this a crossover of Stargate. :lol:

prion
July 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM
They're all sorta about the same - good :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/17/AR2006071701410.html?nav=rss_print/style

If you're a regular viewer of the network -- whose hits include "Stargate: SG-1" and "Battlestar Galactica" -- be glad there's plenty of sci-fi to be found on "Eureka."
And if Sci Fi's not on your TiVo, be glad that the show is driven more by characters than special effects (and so-so special effects at that).

CLICK ON LINK ABOVE FOR REST OF ARTICLE

Other EUREKA reviews (no mention of SG1)

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/sci_find_entertainment_linda_stasi.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/435875p-367280c.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/column.htm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/277848_eureka18.html?source=rss

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0607180229jul18,1,6996148.story?track=rss

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNzcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NjEzMDYmeX Jpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/tv/ci_4062832

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/ENT03/607180314/1038

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06197/705384-237.stm

ShadowMaat
July 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
If it's filmed in Vancouver there will probably be a LOT of familiar faces on the show. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for some of my favorite actors.

Hatcheter
July 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
They're all sorta about the same - good :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/17/AR2006071701410.html?nav=rss_print/style

If you're a regular viewer of the network -- whose hits include "Stargate: SG-1" and "Battlestar Galactica" -- be glad there's plenty of sci-fi to be found on "Eureka."
And if Sci Fi's not on your TiVo, be glad that the show is driven more by characters than special effects (and so-so special effects at that).

CLICK ON LINK ABOVE FOR REST OF ARTICLE

Other EUREKA reviews (no mention of SG1)

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/sci_find_entertainment_linda_stasi.htm

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/435875p-367280c.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/column.htm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tv/277848_eureka18.html?source=rss

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0607180229jul18,1,6996148.story?track=rss

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNzcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5NjEzMDYmeX Jpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/tv/ci_4062832

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/ENT03/607180314/1038

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06197/705384-237.stm
With that kind of critical concensus, it must be pretty entertaining.

creed462
July 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM
It's going to be a couple of weeks before I get to see it since I'm at class

Trek_Girl42
July 18th, 2006, 01:52 PM
It sounds great, I can't wait, although we don't get in until the fall. :rolleyes:

full.infinity
July 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I'm watching it right now, it's great!

yaaayoubetcha
July 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
I'm watching it right now, it's great!

I'm enjoying it so far as well.

prion
July 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I'm enjoying it so far as well.

Yup, me too. Noticed a few STARGATE guest stars, DOC guest stars, but had more fun just watching the plot. It repeats later tonight (er, tomorrow morning) for those who missed it at the 9-11pm run.

full.infinity
July 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Is it just me or is the military guy who took over Eureka played by the same guy as Colonel Chekov?

Oreo
July 18th, 2006, 08:14 PM
There seems to be a lot of Stargate people are going to show up on the show.

I HATED the first hour, that was terrible. The second was much better and the ending was fun.

FoolishPleasure
July 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
The first hour had to establish characters, place, etc. It was something different and I liked it. I'll be back next week. :)

ShadowMaat
July 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Let's see...

Drey'auc was the DOD chick
Nereus (or Nero Wolfe) was the Sherrif
Chekov was the head soldier dude
Fish from Ally McBeal was King (not SG, but it explains why I thought I knew him)
Chloe (Felger's assistant) was Doris Gilmer
Lt. Banks (from Avalon) played one of the soldiers

I'm sure there will be TONS of familiar faces as the season progresses. It IS filmed in Vancouver, after all.

I loved the pilot. Laughed out loud numerous times. Can't wait to see how this show develops. It's flat-out FUN!

rarocks24
July 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Is it just me or is the military guy who took over Eureka played by the same guy as Colonel Chekov?
That's what I thought too. :eek:

BTW, is Darren going to hook us up with a section for Eureka or is that not going to happen?

Kem Rixen
July 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
This series has a lot of potential, some of the conversation between Carter and his daughter seemed a bit cliche earlier on, but by the end, it was very good. I'm definitly going to keep watching the show, especially if the guy who played Chekov comes back.

tsaxlady
July 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well it was definately better than watching the reality shows on network TV.

All in all I found it a fun show. Not going to make my TIVO list but I will watch when I'm home on Tuesday nights.

TheBigBlueBox
July 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
The guy's name is JACK CARTER... if that doesn't reference Stargate I don't know what does... I'm suprised there isn't a Samantha O'neill...

BTW, I thought the show was terrible....

the fifth man
July 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM
I rather enjoyed the premiere. I agree, the first hour or so was kind of so-so. But the second half was much better IMO. I'll definitely be back next week.

Mainer82
July 19th, 2006, 05:10 AM
The guy's name is JACK CARTER... if that doesn't reference Stargate I don't know what does... I'm suprised there isn't a Samantha O'neill...

BTW, I thought the show was terrible....
Heh, I didn't even pickup on that. Nice... I really enjoyed this show, it's scifi mixed with a bit of fun.

MarshAngel
July 19th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I enjoyed the premier... right up till the point where I lost power and missed 15 mins of the show. Fortunately, there was some show left to watch. Jack makes me laugh. Seems like the only thing he's good at is his job. His parenting skills are very questionable.
There were a few things here and there I wasn't too fond of, namely Taggert who somehow struck me as a bit cliched and she-rambo, Jo.

blueiris
July 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Why did Carter and his daughter pass themselves at the beginning? That is bugging me.:S

MarshAngel
July 19th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I think it was just mean't to be a freak event result of time being messed up. I don't know why they'd be driving in the opposite direction though.

blueiris
July 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I think it was just mean't to be a freak event result of time being messed up. I don't know why they'd be driving in the opposite direction though.
With the girl smiling and waving. Maybe just a freak event to grab interest at the beginning. But it still bugs me that it wasn't brought up. Or at least addressed after the fact since the daughter had mentioned it several times. Just a little "That was why........"

I did enjoy it and will watch next week.

Arative
July 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I thought that they passed themselves, the people on the way out of town were from the future, kind of like they go into the town and they both hate each other and then when they leave the town both of them are well adjusted and love each other again. Least the girl on the way out looked normal in the brief glance we had, i.e. no strange hair or nose ring.

I enjoyed the show, think it has real potential but I don't understand why they aren't putting it on friday nights after the gates just to build an audience. Of course it is good to see Sci-fi busting out on another night, only so many B grade movies they can play. Only thing I really didn't like was the daughter, seems like the writters will use her as a plot device to give her dad something.

yaaayoubetcha
July 19th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I think it'll be on my regular tuesday viewing for a while.

Rather liked it.

I always enjoy Fish (the dude from Ally McBeal). He does great voice.

Liked the resolution, but agree with most that some of the characters need a bit of work.

blueiris
July 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I thought that they passed themselves, the people on the way out of town were from the future, kind of like they go into the town and they both hate each other and then when they leave the town both of them are well adjusted and love each other again. Least the girl on the way out looked normal in the brief glance we had, i.e. no strange hair or nose ring.

I enjoyed the show, think it has real potential but I don't understand why they aren't putting it on friday nights after the gates just to build an audience. Of course it is good to see Sci-fi busting out on another night, only so many B grade movies they can play. Only thing I really didn't like was the daughter, seems like the writters will use her as a plot device to give her dad something.
I did not watch the episode until 1am so I was not watching perhaps as closely and did not see the difference, only the smile and wave. That explanation will do for me. Thanks.

I have to admit that while watching, considering it was on SciFi, I was half expecting to see mansquitoes and giant leeches. I was pleasantly surprised there.

Enemyone
July 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
The episode in a word was Fantastic nice to see something on the lighter side of life. My wife and i both loved the episode and its kinda campy feel. The fact that he may be the only person in town with any common sense is rather intresting in a city of nerds.

full.infinity
July 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Wait wait wait...Jack Carter? Thats cool...I wonder when Samatha Jackson and George O'Niell or maybe Daniel Hammond are gonna show up...
Well, the guy who started it all(in the episode) was named Walter, although that's probably a coincidence.

Icemancmd
July 19th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I ejoyed it a lot, and the daughter is a hottie :D

FireCat
July 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I liked the show alot, and we have a new Jack to drool over. :)

L-JADE
July 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
It's an interesting show, I like it a lot, will defo tune-in next week :D

Jack Carter is pretty much like Jack O'Neill, solving difficult problems with simple-effective solutions :cool:

warmbeachbrat
July 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
It definitely lived up to my expectations. And it was nice to see Gary Chalk. And Deborah Farentino. Speaking of which--I so did not expect to see her kill Walter's wife. This could get interesting....

I'm not sure if I need spoilers, but just in case.

ShadowMaat
July 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Maybe the "leaving the town" them will be in the last ep. They're finally ready to move on beyond Eureka and pass themselves coming in. Nice contrast. :)

mckaychick
July 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I thought the episode was very intersting myself.

oneoverbeta
July 19th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I liked the show too, for the most part... Was a little disappointed at the portrayal of women in the first episode, though. It's a town full of scientists, you'd think they could have worked in one or two female geniuses... even the two kids were boys! I probably wouldn't have noticed, if they hadn't also had the main character (Jack) make a comment about the DOD chick not looking like a scientist. Grrr...

Still, I'll keep watching (as a scientist myself, I'm lovin' the geektown idea)...

ShadowMaat
July 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM
The female geniuses are probably too busy doing actual work while all the boy geniuses run around yapping and putting on silly displays to compensate for their shortcomings. :P

full.infinity
July 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
The female geniuses are probably too busy doing actual work while all the boy geniuses run around yapping and putting on silly displays to compensate for their shortcomings. :P
What about the male geniuses who are more secure about those things? :P

ShadowMaat
July 19th, 2006, 07:25 PM
What about the male geniuses who are more secure about those things? :P
http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/neptune/Animated/Laughing/laugh009.gif Ain't no such thing. Good joke, though. ;)

the fifth man
July 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM
This show definitely has some potential. No denying that. I just hope Sci-Fi handles it well. I still don't trust them too much on such things.

Wyrminarrd
July 20th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good. The series has potential though I wonder how much staying power it will have.

It´s on my to watch list and hopefully will stay there for a long time :)

Oreo
July 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
I thought the first hour of the show was completely boring and useless. Yes yes they need to introduce the charaters, but they need to do that without putting the people to sleep.

The second hour picked up and the ending twist was nice, but they really need to work on the show. As is I don't see it lasting for long.

the fifth man
July 20th, 2006, 12:26 PM
The second hour picked up and the ending twist was nice, but they really need to work on the show. As is I don't see it lasting for long.

Well, for it to last long, they're definitely going to have to be able to keep coming up with interesting ideas for stuff to go wrong in the town.

MarshAngel
July 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Well, for it to last long, they're definitely going to have to be able to keep coming up with interesting ideas for stuff to go wrong in the town.
I think they're depending on a conspiracy and underhandedness for long term plots.

JanusAncient
July 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM
I saw several female scientists in Eureka. There wasn't a close-up of any of them, but they were there, perhaps some will be more prominent in the next episode.

greytop
July 21st, 2006, 03:24 AM
I watched the premire and enjoyed it very much, too.

Maybe the "leaving the town" them will be in the last ep. They're finally ready to move on beyond Eureka and pass themselves coming in. Nice contrast. :)They did leave town at the end right before he was assigned as sheriff of Eureka.

July 21st, 2006, 03:55 AM
It might be related to the time being messed up but, to be honest, whenever that occured, bad things happened so I don't think that it was related to events in the episode. Most likely we will find out the significance of it later in the season (Sci-Fi ordered 13 eps for the first season, similar to the whole "Bad Wolf" thing in the first season of the new Dr Who.

ShadowMaat
July 21st, 2006, 04:28 AM
I watched the premire and enjoyed it very much, too.
They did leave town at the end right before he was assigned as sheriff of Eureka.
Yeah, but since they didn't show us the other side of the "entering town" thing I assume it didn't happen. Thus, they haven't oficially "left town" for good. Yet.

Or maybe it'll be some random mid-season ep, who knows? But I doubt the writers would toss a scene like that out there and then never resolve it onscreen.

yaaayoubetcha
July 21st, 2006, 06:28 AM
I think they're depending on a conspiracy and underhandedness for long term plots.

I love conspiracy and underhandedness!
:sam:

Thermonuclearboy
July 21st, 2006, 10:22 AM
So far, so good.

I am a little worried about that whole "town full of eccentrics" thing. I'm still haunted by Northern Exposure, and I really hope we don't get another show like that. If it turns out to be like Tremors The Series I'd be happy. Town full of LIKEABLE eccentrics works for me.

I also fear I've developed an unhealthy crush on Carter's daughter. Oh for the days of youth, when a pseudo-punk girl could turn my head...

Kem Rixen
July 21st, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'm more interested with the end of the episode
When whatsherface, killed whatshisfaces wife. I need to watch the show some more to pick up on the names:S
If they can make the show like the second hour, then this could be a very good show.

Motoko
July 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Well I did enjoy it too...
About the actors having played in Stargate apparently I missed Chloe... ( Have to check this right away ).

Even if there are some strange things going on in this city... but I guess that's the whole point... LOL.
And I thought the special effect where good too for a premiere... We'll see what is coming up next.

Oreo
July 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
So far, so good.

If it turns out to be like Tremors The Series I'd be happy.

So if it only lasts a season you will be happy? :)

Trek_Girl42
July 21st, 2006, 06:25 PM
The entire pilot is now streaming on sci-fi pulse, so now non-americans can see it! :D

http://www.scifi.com/pulse/

I have to say I thought it was GREAT. I loved it! Very likable characters, quirky, fairly light show. Hopefully the quality will keep up and this will be a great series! CAN'T WAIT for it to air here!

Easter Lily
July 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
That was a promising start... wacky enough to remind me of Northern Exposure and an intriguing premise to boot.
I'd love to see where they go with this down the track.

penguininablender
July 21st, 2006, 08:54 PM
That was a promising start... wacky enough to remind me of Northern Exposure and an intriguing premise to boot.
I'd love to see where they go with this down the track.
I agree, it really has promise

Easter Lily
July 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
I don't mind Matt Frewer... liked him as Max Headroom but please... if they really need to cast an Australian character they should use an Australian actor... I haven't heard a non-Australian do a decent job with the accent yet...

Thermonuclearboy
July 22nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
So if it only lasts a season you will be happy? :)

Well...I think it's a given the show will only last a season. I mean, it's a good show on the Sci-Fi Channel.

penguininablender
July 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM
Well...I think it's a given the show will only last a season. I mean, it's a good show on the Sci-Fi Channel.
lol, isnt that the truth. At least they didnt pull some monster out of a hat and say "let's get really bad actors to run away from it and pull really bad one liners"...like they do most of the time

Tok'Ra Hostess
July 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
Series pilots are always pretty shallow, I find, and, yes, I agree the second half was more interesting than the first half, but it looks like a pretty decent, devious, intelligent show. I loved how:
Archemides was more comfortable with Jack and that Jack just understood that the kid needed to see the formulas on the ground. Very Jack O'Neill like. And Jack Carter even said "For crying out loud," once. :P

The dog has me intrigued. I wonder how much they'll use it in the series?

Oreo
July 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM

Oh I know, Stargate has only been on Sci-fi for 5 seasons, and that's not close to being good. :p

Titania V V
July 22nd, 2006, 12:23 PM
I saw it last night, liked it. Won't be able to see it on Tuesdays though, as I work and can't count on other family memebers to leave the channel on SciFi if I set up to record.

Well, the guy who started it all(in the episode) was named Walter, although that's probably a coincidence.

Now I know this might be stretching the "looking for SG things" thing, but my son and I both noticed that in addition to that marshall being named Jack Carter (and they could just as easily have named him Sam O'Neill ;) ) he spouted a couple of standard Col.Jack lines-- an exclamation of "Oh crap!", which I could believe was just coincidence, followed later by a "For cryin' out loud!" (my son picked that one up, much astonished).

But the capper for me came when he was addressing the scientist who set the climactic events in motion-- searching to remember the guy's name, I could've sworn he said "W-walter, right?"

Anybody else pick that one up?

Trek_Girl42
July 22nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
I saw it last night, liked it. Won't be able to see it on Tuesdays though, as I work and can't count on other family memebers to leave the channel on SciFi if I set up to record.

Now I know this might be stretching the "looking for SG things" thing, but my son and I both noticed that in addition to that marshall being named Jack Carter (and they could just as easily have named him Sam O'Neill ;) ) he spouted a couple of standard Col.Jack lines-- an exclamation of "Oh crap!", which I could believe was just coincidence, followed later by a "For cryin' out loud!" (my son picked that one up, much astonished).

But the capper for me came when he was addressing the scientist who set the climactic events in motion-- searching to remember the guy's name, I could've sworn he said "W-walter, right?"

Anybody else pick that one up?
I got that one! It was like Jack said it in "2010"!

mckaychick
July 22nd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I got that one! It was like Jack said it in "2010"!
yeah!

Blarggy
July 22nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
I'm loving the first episode, and I'm looking forward to the next. Any fans of the show, sign up at http://s3.invisionfree.com/EurekaOnScifi/index.php

I'm hoping to get backing from Scifi.com and possibly a link, as the Eureka fanbase grows, I hope to expand to a better server as well.

I've made a few additions to the site, though I don't plan on making any other boards or do any more work until I get more members. I wouldn't want it to be wasted energy.

BackStageJim
July 24th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Actually it was rather good for a Sunday afternoon departure from war death and terror. I did think the dog could talk though, or that he and the cop were one in the same until the cabin scene.

Lokii
July 24th, 2006, 10:29 AM
It has promise..

morjana
July 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM
TV Now has an interview with Joe Morton available here:

http://www.tv-now.com/intervus/jmorton/index.html

Morjana

The Ori
July 24th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I found it really poor, but will carry on watching it anyways to see if it gets better.

morjana
July 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
IGN interviews Co-creator Andrew Cosby

From IGN:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/719/719192p1.html

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Eureka: From Animated to Live Action

Co-creator Andrew Cosby talks beginnings and inspirations.

by Jason Van Horn

July 17, 2006 - On July 18, 2006 Eureka premieres on the SCI FI Channel as a two-hour movie. Eureka is about a town full of geniuses and scientists. Proposed by Albert Einstein and commissioned by President Harry S. Truman after the nuclear bombs of World War II dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Eureka was developed as a safe haven for scientists, where they could come to work together on projects for the government, ensuring that America was always the first to discover new technologies, so that the "close call" of the nuclear arms race would never come to fruition again.

In a recent interview, one of the co-creators of Eureka - Andrew Cosby - detailed in great detail how Eureka came to be and what you can expect if you tune in to watch Eureka.

Unbeknownst to practically everyone in attendance, Eureka was not always intended for the state it is currently in, which is that of a live action series on the SCI FI Channel. In the early days, Eureka was to be much more inline with the traditional cartoon television series. "The genesis was, actually, it was originally designed to be an animated series. I had this in my back pocket for years and it was called Eurekaville, and I had been approached to create a kind of a new Simpsons sort of idea, and my idea was this town nestled in the Pacific Northwest that housed the world's greatest minds, and at the time, it was going to be about a family who have this kid that is a super genius, and when the science fair goes wrong at his elementary school the government approaches him and his family and say 'we have a place for you.' And the story was going to be all about a dad - sort of a fish out of water dad - who ends up in this crazy town, and the comedy was a lot more broad in the animated version. Obviously the story revolved around a normal dad, so it was this weird King of the Hill meets Eureka idea."

**major snippage**

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

morjana
July 24th, 2006, 03:41 PM
IGN interviews Debrah Farentino

From IGN:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/719/719191p1.html

(Please follow the link for the complete interview. There are photos at the site.)

Debrah Farentino: Fit to Live in Eureka

The actress discusses the show and her science background.

by Jason Van Horn

July 17, 2006 - Eureka is a town full of geniuses and scientists. Proposed by Albert Einstein and commissioned by President Harry S. Truman after the nuclear bombs of World War II dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Eureka was developed as a safe haven for scientists. In Eureka they could come to work together on projects for the government, ensuring that America was always the first to discover new technologies - so that the "close call" of the nuclear arms race would never come to fruition again.

Though often times the actors of a television series may nary know a thing about their source material, Debrah Farentino proved in a recent interview that perhaps she might be more acquainted and acclimated with this scientific community of Eureka than perhaps any other actor on the show. "My hobby is science - actually molecular biology - and in-between jobs I've slowly been continuing my studies. I'm on a very long road to getting my bachelors, and actually, when this script was sent to me I'd taken a couple years off to study molecular biology, and my agent called me and said, 'Debrah, here is one I think you are going to love, because it combines science with great characters and intriguing stories.' So yeah, I brought some of that to the plate."

**major snippage**

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

LaCroix
July 24th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Well it looks like it's on again on USA. I found it good.

captain jake
July 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I just noticed that, why is it on USA?

Kas
July 25th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Hmmm, interesting that Sky One (UK) are premiering this next Wednesday 2nd August, a mere 2 episodes? after the US, under the title 'A Town called Eureka'. Why oh why do we always have to wait for the Stargates and BSG (now) for months but they are selling this one to the overseas market for airing so quickly?

Is it to garner universal interest for the show - similarly to letting the UK air BSG S1 first? Not sure whether Sky money is involved in this one or not. Anyone?

ShadowMaat
July 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Considering that it seems to have aired at least two dozen times since its original airing- on both SCIFI and USA- I'd say they're pretty damn desperate to draw interest and make sure as many people as possible are watching. Makes me suspect subliminal messages and whatnot.

Oreo
July 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
I just noticed that, why is it on USA?

To get the USA viewers. More people watch USA than Sci-fi so they want as many as possible to watch.

I won't be shocked if they stick it on NBC on a Saturday or Bravo sometime.

Trek_Girl42
July 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Letting any Canadian viewers know that Eureka will air starting on Sunday September 10 on SPACE, and probably in the 5 or 6pm timeslot (PST).

Kem Rixen
July 25th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Just finished watching the newest one. It definitly wasn't as good as the second hour, but very close in my opinion. I especially liked the whole thing with SARAH, very funny.

Shame his daughter is back though, I didn't really like that realtionship.

Anyways, I can't wait to see more, I can see this show going on for a while if they stay at this quality.

FoolishPleasure
July 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I liked this episode. The show has a quirky sense of humor that I like, even if I did figure out the ghost thing fairly easily. The parts about Walter's wife were fun. As for the SARA house. No way - reminded me of HAL. *LOL*

ShadowMaat
July 25th, 2006, 07:50 PM
SARAH's a bit freaky, all the more so because it's geekboy doing a girly voice. ;) I've seen a couple of movies that bear a similar theme to that whole scenario (minus the geekboying). Hope Jack's situation works out better than those did.

Saw the ghost thing from miles off, but the show is still fun and it still makes me laugh, so I'll keep watching.

captain jake
July 25th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I love the story arc I think the idea of the show is brilliant. However the acting is horrible!! the sheriffs deputy annoys me I don't know where the freak they are going with his daughters storyline. I'm not sure how big off a hit this is going to be I think it's the idea of the show that is pulling people in but the bad acting is going to push them away.

P.S. The NASA engineer is awesome!

LaCroix
July 25th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Did anyone here notice the consultant name in the credits. I did, if it's Buffy's/Angel's David Greenwalt then whole SARAH (and Smidge) remark from Fargo is priceless.;)

Colonel Sharp
July 25th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I'm too lazy to read all the comments that came before me (:P) but I just wanna say that this show is great, I espicially love the house ;) :P :D

ShadowMaat
July 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
FINALLY figured out who Fargo reminds me of- the geek on 4400. But since I hardly ever remember to watch 4400 it took a long time to percolate through.

In an utterly bizarre coincidence, however, I have seen the actor before. He played the temporally displaced monk in the remake of Time Tunnel. Aww, and he was so cute and confused back then. ;)

morjana
July 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Starlog Issue #348 Interviews Andrew Cosby & Jaime Paglia, co-creators of "Eureka:

http://www.starlog.com/fearful_feature.php

(Please follow the link for the complete interview excerpt.)

WELCOME TO EUReKA By WILL MURRAY

On Tuesday, July 18, U.S. Marshal Jack Carter (Colin Ferguson) and a mysterious “prisoner” crashed on the outskirts of EUREKA, a Pacific Northwest town not found on any map. The experience will forever alter Carter’s life.

“There’s a scientist who has messed around in his garage and ripped a hole in the fabric of space-time,” explains Eureka co-creator and executive producer Andrew Cosby.

“I won’t go into what the implications of that are for our series, but there are implications.
So Carter comes to Eureka, and as these weird happenings are going on, the town finds itself in a position where they need someone who has Carter’s investigative skills. He actually gets promoted and asked by our government to take charge of Eureka and be its sheriff.”

**snippity doo-dah**

Read Andrew Cosby & Jaime Paglia's much more detailed look at EUREKA in STARLOG #348, ON SALE NOW at newstands and bookstores.

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

Oreo
July 25th, 2006, 10:33 PM
The acting is terrible and the talknig house and bs like that has been done to death, but still very fun. This weeks was A LOT better than the pilot. I do hate the ending through, and the other "coming back" thing was badly handled.

the fifth man
July 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Not a bad episode IMO. I'm just still not sure how I really feel yet about this show. Guess it will take a little more time for me to figure that out.

JanusAncient
July 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Figured the part with Walter would happen. I like it still, but nothing is new anymore.

Blue Banrigh
July 26th, 2006, 05:31 AM
I like the humour in this show, especially the last bit where SARAH is angry at the sheriff and he has to grit his teeth apologise to a machine. Him stroking the door was priceless.

macktheknife
July 26th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Pilot was better, but it was still good to watch. Am I the only one who gets annoyed when they replace an character for no apparent reason between the 1st and 2nd episodes?

Oreo
July 26th, 2006, 08:51 AM
What charater did they replace for no reason?

macktheknife
July 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Head\Chief Scientist. That dude who (I think) was on ally mcbeal. Guy who faught the ninjas in the pilot\first ep.

Oreo
July 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I didn't notice.

Plus they replaced the cop too! :p

Pilots of a lot of shows are different than the rest of the series, they most likely don't have the money or he didn't want a full time role. So I'm sure there is some reason. :)

Thermonuclearboy
July 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Not a bad second episode. I have a sneaking suspicion the deputy is going to get on my nerves very quickly, and Walter's little secret was just damned CREEPY if you stop to think about it...but so far so good.

macktheknife
July 26th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Jack Carter..... come on..... I would think they would be a bit more imaginative.

captain jake
July 26th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Not a bad second episode. I have a sneaking suspicion the deputy is going to get on my nerves very quickly, and Walter's little secret was just damned CREEPY if you stop to think about it...but so far so good.

The deputy has already pissed me off beyond being pissed off.

warmbeachbrat
July 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM
The deputy has already pissed me off beyond being pissed off.

:confused: Why is that?

captain jake
July 26th, 2006, 11:25 AM
:confused: Why is that?

Well I suppose It is the way she just sits there with absolutely no expression and than when she does show some kind of emotion she goes way over board.

To put it simple she is a horrible character/actress.

LaCroix
July 26th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I like Jo the Deputy. :)

MarshAngel
July 26th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I don't like her either. She's a walking cliche.

Kem Rixen
July 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I don't like her either. She's a walking cliche.
She seems to be a bit better than she was in the pilot at least, though it could've just been because she wasn't around as much. But I'd have to agree she really was, though, think back to the first episode of SG-1, when we are introduced to Sam she definitly is a cliche. Over time I think Jo will evolve into a much more three dimensial character.

Trek_Girl42
July 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM
She seems to be a bit better than she was in the pilot at least, though it could've just been because she wasn't around as much. But I'd have to agree she really was, though, think back to the first episode of SG-1, when we are introduced to Sam she definitly is a cliche. Over time I think Jo will evolve into a much more three dimensial character.
I have to agree about Sam, I couldn't stand her in the first few eps of Stargate, especially the pilot- I liked Jo in the pilot, I liked the scenes between her and the daughter, haven't seen the second ep yet to know further but I could see how the character might get taken a bit overboard.

Easter Lily
July 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I don't mind Jo... she seems to be a bundle of contridictions which is fun... the gungho military type on the other hand, desperate and dateless on the other...

Episode 2 was IMO better than the pilot 1) because we were spared the annoying whining delinquent daughter. If her role is merely to make his life hell or complicate his love life, it's going to get old pretty soon.

2) SARAH is a nice touch.
3) The continuity from the previous episode is terrific... a much stronger storyline altogether.
4) The "how to kill of characters without killing off characters" plot
5) Colin Ferguson plays the role with such laid back ease

All hail the USAF
July 26th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Jack Carter..... come on..... I would think they would be a bit more imaginative.

I agree completely...I said a while ago I wonder when Samantha Jackson or Daniel O'Neill was gonna show up

the fifth man
July 26th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I agree completely...I said a while ago I wonder when Samantha Jackson or Daniel O'Neill was gonna show up

LMAO!!:D Indeed!

ShadowMaat
July 26th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I'd love to ask the creators about that name choice because I would dearly love to find out that it has nothing at all to do with Stargate and that by some amazing stretch of reality Stargate manages NOT to be the center of every scifi universe.

the fifth man
July 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I'd love to ask the creators about that name choice because I would dearly love to find out that it has nothing at all to do with Stargate and that by some amazing stretch of reality Stargate manages NOT to be the center of every scifi universe.

Now that's just crazy-talk.;)

Willow'sCat
July 27th, 2006, 03:49 AM
I love SARAH, I mean it could get old really quick but it was funny to see him talking to the house and that Fargo was trying to deny the obvious was silly but fun, including that it was his *girly* voice and that is just freaky. :P I missed not seeing the Professor guy, is he a regular? :S

The daughter is I hope a background character, Joe I liked more in the second episode. I don't really like the main female lead, she is rather bland and lacks real character and no more of that kid please *either of them*.

The male lead (the new Sheriff) is good, I like him, he has yet to annoy me. *hey it happens*

I like it so far, early days but I was laughing at times out loud and that hasn't happen for a show in a while so I will keep watching. ;)

I don't mind Matt Frewer... liked him as Max Headroom but please... if they really need to cast an Australian character they should use an Australian actor... I haven't heard a non-Australian do a decent job with the accent yet...I loved Matt in Max Headroom, but I have to say when I heard the accent I was thinking please be South African! But then. :eek: Nooooo he said mate! He must be trying for an Australian accent... bugger. :( :P

It never works, OK yes, Americans might buy it but it still annoys me. Maybe he isn't in the series proper, seemed to be a few names missing in the opening credits anyway. :S

ShadowMaat
July 27th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Or maybe he desperately wants to be Aussie because all the best big game hunters are Aussie. :P ...At least if you consider people like Steve Irwin to be the best anything. ;)

Willow'sCat
July 27th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Or maybe he desperately wants to be Aussie because all the best big game hunters are Aussie. :P ...At least if you consider people like Steve Irwin to be the best anything. ;)Crikey! Don't even start me on Steve Irwin. :p If Matt is a regular he is in my mind playing a South African. :p :D

All hail the USAF
July 27th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I kinda like how they kill two characters in the pilot and then went "D'OH! Probley not the best idea to start killing people off in the pilot" then found a sneeky way to bring them back. Daniel Jackson would be proud.

But...Did I miss something?" What DID happen to the Director guy? Did he find his Point of Origin?

RuleBritannia
July 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
It starts next week here in the UK, but from the adverts it does look interesting, so i'll check it out.

P.S. Sky One advertise it as 'A Town Called Eureka' have they changed the name or something?

the fifth man
July 27th, 2006, 02:13 PM
It starts next week here in the UK, but from the adverts it does look interesting, so i'll check it out.

P.S. Sky One advertise it as 'A Town Called Eureka' have they changed the name or something?

The name hasn't changed to my knowledge.

Blue Banrigh
July 27th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Has anybody been watching the webisodes at the scifi site?

That non aussie Aussie annoys me too, can't really watch what's happening when he's around cause i'm cringing from the accent.

Oreo
July 27th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I don't think that's the name, I think it's the slogan. :)

Willow'sCat
July 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Has anybody been watching the webisodes at the scifi site?I haven't had time, and I only finished watching the eps yesterday should I check them out? Are they necessary to watch the show? :S

That non aussie Aussie annoys me too, can't really watch what's happening when he's around cause i'm cringing from the accent.I kept expecting him to say struth! It is so over the top! :p

ShadowMaat
July 27th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hearing non-Americans trying to pass off an American accent can be just as bad. I generally choose to be amused by it- particularly if the badness is deliberate and the accent is supposed to sound fake. No harm, no foul, as far as I'm concerned. I like the Steve Irwin wannabe. I hope we get to see more of him... and his archnemesis, LoJack. :D

*ponders if LoJack's accent is also patently false* ;)

Kem Rixen
July 27th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Has anybody been watching the webisodes at the scifi site?
Unfortunatly I can't get them to work on this computer, and it's the only working computer in my house at the moment. Are they any good? Are they actually important to the storyline?

In my spare time I set up a Eureka fansite, it's nowhere near as good as GateWorld is for Stargate or other Sci-Fi series, but it's a start I suppose. It's at...

http://www.bluero.be/eureka

But, anyways, what do you think of it?

Easter Lily
July 27th, 2006, 11:56 PM
I loved Matt in Max Headroom, but I have to say when I heard the accent I was thinking please be South African! But then. :eek: Nooooo he said mate! He must be trying for an Australian accent... bugger. :( :P

It never works, OK yes, Americans might buy it but it still annoys me. Maybe he isn't in the series proper, seemed to be a few names missing in the opening credits anyway. :S
It was a very muddled accent... South African was my first thought until he said "mate". It sounded rather garbled in parts too .
Can't think what they thinking? Even Meryl Streep found it challenging.
Haven't they learnt anything from Lost? :P
Probably not...

Steve Irwin is an interesting thought... if it's a parody they're after... ;)
He's really not a bad egg... does really care about conservation.

warmbeachbrat
July 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM
It was a very muddled accent... South African was my first thought until he said "mate". It sounded rather garbled in parts too .
Can't think what they thinking? Even Meryl Streep found it challenging.
Haven't they learnt anything from Lost? :P
Probably not...

Steve Irwin is an interesting thought... if it's a parody they're after... ;)
He's really not a bad egg... does really care about conservation.

I can tell I'm in the minority, but I like Steve Irwin. I saw a profile of him and his wife a while back--they seem like genuinely good people. And their daughter is just adorable.

Hee-hee, Shadow! I'm also looking forward to more LoJack. Hmmm--was LoJack the same dog as the one in the motorhome? Didn't that dog get toasted? I really need to pay closer attention....:o

Blue Banrigh
July 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM
I haven't had time, and I only finished watching the eps yesterday should I check them out? Are they necessary to watch the show? :S
Not necessary, it's a just a little side story about an unidentified furry manshaped creature in the forest outside Eureka.

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Hmmm--was LoJack the same dog as the one in the motorhome? Didn't that dog get toasted? I really need to pay closer attention....:o
I thought so at first, but they're a lot different. Crispy Pup was a Husky/Malamute type (I think) and LoJack is more of a shaggy wolf/mongrel. Or something. Definiteky different, although it might have been an interesting plot point if they were the same and LoJack kept turning up no matter what.

LaCroix
July 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I had the CC on to see the part with the Sheriff and the professor and I saw the name Nanook. So I have to agree with Shadow.

Sela
July 28th, 2006, 04:42 PM
I am watching the 1st episode of Eureka over again for like the 6th time and I really do like this show! Naming the house "Sarah" still tickles me. (re: Sara O'Neill) There are far too many playful SG references for them to be coincidences. :jack: And even if it is, I still like this show and Jack Carter a lot. His facial expressions are priceless.

Willow'sCat
July 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I can tell I'm in the minority, but I like Steve Irwin. I saw a profile of him and his wife a while back--they seem like genuinely good people. And their daughter is just adorable. I think you misunderstand where I was coming from, I am Australian and it irks that most *many* US actors go for a broad "Steve Irwin" type accent when most Australians do not speak with that kind of broad accent. Australia has very many but subtle differences in our accent depending on where you live. ;) I also get the impression the Australian accent is not an easy one for Americans to pull off anyway; so why not employ an Australian actor who has their accent intact?

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Well, since Irwin is perceived as an animal maven/hunter/gamekeeper/whatever and since that's what Matt's character likes to think he is, why is it so insulting?

And the point, again, is that the accent is SUPPOSED to sound fake. Sure, you could hire an Australian actor, but doesn't it seem a little silly to have a real Australian with a fake Australian accent?

Willow'sCat
July 28th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Well, since Irwin is perceived as an animal maven/hunter/gamekeeper/whatever and since that's what Matt's character likes to think he is, why is it so insulting?

And the point, again, is that the accent is SUPPOSED to sound fake. Sure, you could hire an Australian actor, but doesn't it seem a little silly to have a real Australian with a fake Australian accent?Is it meant to be so fake? *maybe* If it is then they are obviously taking the mickey which I can live with but I still reserve the right to be annoyed by it. :cool:

Easter Lily
July 28th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I think you misunderstand where I was coming from, I am Australian and it irks that most *many* US actors go for a broad "Steve Irwin" type accent when most Australians do not speak with that kind of broad accent. Australia has very many but subtle differences in our accent depending on where you live. ;) I also get the impression the Australian accent is not an easy one for Americans to pull off anyway; so why not employ an Australian actor who has their accent intact?
Yeah... that's what bugs me mostly... it's that exaggerated ocker... Funny that they never go for the Sam Neil or Hugo Weaving accent.

Still if the Matt Frewers character is a parody... and recurring, I can live with it.

I can tell I'm in the minority, but I like Steve Irwin. I saw a profile of him and his wife a while back--they seem like genuinely good people. And their daughter is just adorable.
He's a performer... a little larger than life...
I've also seen interviews with him and his wife, mostly he's pretty subdued. She looks to be level headed so I think she knows a few things about Steve that we wouldn't. ;)

Willow'sCat
July 28th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah... that's what bugs me mostly... it's that exaggerated ocker... Funny that they never go for the Sam Neil or Hugo Weaving accent.

Still if the Matt Frewers character is a parody... and recurring, I can live with it.I can live with it too. ;) You know Sam is from New Zealand and Hugo was born in Nigeria :P but I get what you are saying. ;) Hey Claudia Black sounds kind of British so...:D

Seastallion
July 29th, 2006, 04:20 AM
I really like this show. :) It is different, and thus interesting. So far, so good... I'm going to keep track of this show. :D

GbaGuy
July 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Anyone else notice that both the Comcast on-screen guide and GateWorld said StarGate SG-1 instead of Eureka, while TVGuide.com and what was actually playing (EUReKA) matched?

Odd that I could sit there and watch EUReKA when the on-screen guide is telling me SG-1. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I wanted to watch EUReKA and not episodes of SG-1 that I probably have on DVD.

LaCroix
July 29th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I don't knpow if anyone has posted this yet. But I found this on Forbes and its
for 7/25/06 ratings.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2006/07/27/ap2909240.html

the fifth man
July 29th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I don't knpow if anyone has posted this yet. But I found this on Forbes and its
for 7/25/06 ratings.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2006/07/27/ap2909240.html

So does that mean it got a 2.7 on the Nielson??

Oreo
July 30th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I don't get those ratings. Sponge Bob got more homes but less veiwers and beat Eureka.

the fifth man
July 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I don't get those ratings. Sponge Bob got more homes but less veiwers and beat Eureka.

I sure know the ratings system confuses the hell out of me. Glad I'm not the only one.:)

MarshAngel
July 30th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Maybe it's referring to the different viewing choices of a multiple TV-set household? So more people in each household were watching Eureka than spongebob....just a guess.

Morbo
July 31st, 2006, 11:44 PM
the fact that TV execs judge their lineups on neilsen ratings shows how retarded they really are.
no one of interest or class, or taste usually gets those boxes - which is why high rated shows include all that reality TV garbage you see on now.

but i love this Eureka show. hope it hangs around.

creed462
August 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM
the fact that TV execs judge their lineups on neilsen ratings shows how retarded they really are.
no one of interest or class, or taste usually gets those boxes - which is why high rated shows include all that reality TV garbage you see on now.

but i love this Eureka show. hope it hangs around.
tell me about it! Though with the internet fans can unite and drive a mesage Just look what happened with Farscape

scifi_girl
August 1st, 2006, 10:46 AM
just a quick question- is this the show thats starting next week in the UK?

RuleBritannia
August 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM
just a quick question- is this the show thats starting next week in the UK?
yeah it starts tomorrow on Sky One, at 9:00

scifi_girl
August 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
yeah it starts tomorrow on Sky One, at 9:00

thanks, i wasnt sure. ill be watching the show tomorrow night to see what its like

LaCroix
August 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
I knew I'd recognized Colin Freguson from somewhere. He was in an episode of Becker and played Tom in The Opposite of Sex.

captainpash
August 1st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Who's working on this. I mean crew not cast. The IMBD is incomplete to say the least.

Xanderic
August 1st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Episode 3 airs tonight... well episode 4 if you make the pilot 2 eps.... Jack shoots Henry.. ahahahahah :p

ShadowMaat
August 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Speaking of that...

Did Evil Scientist shoot Henry with Jack's gun or with his own? 'Cos if it's his own tests should show that Jack never fired his gun.

Xanderic
August 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
I'll tell you in about 3 hours once I've seen it. lol.

uknesvuinng
August 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Speaking of that...

Did Evil Scientist shoot Henry with Jack's gun or with his own? 'Cos if it's his own tests should show that Jack never fired his gun.
I think Anderson knocked Jack's hand when Jack went to pull the trigger, so it was Jack's gun. I also thought Anderson was just reaching for the device, but, humorously enough, my memory of that scene is a bit fuzzy.

the fifth man
August 1st, 2006, 07:11 PM
I must say, pretty good episode. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.:)

LaCroix
August 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM
Very good episode. And I think it's going to get better, in the opening credits
while Zoe and dad are talking-- David Greenwalt as Cons. Producer. Any time you get a proven known as in DW with Buffy and Angel, I can see this show lasting a long, long time. IMHO, of course.

MarshAngel
August 1st, 2006, 07:26 PM
Agreed, that was a good episode. That moment where Kim's wondering how much of her life was stolen was really poignant, well done.

I'm a little disappointed about the costume though. I really wanted to see the purple tentacles in action. It looked cute.

ShadowMaat
August 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM
I think Anderson knocked Jack's hand when Jack went to pull the trigger, so it was Jack's gun. I also thought Anderson was just reaching for the device, but, humorously enough, my memory of that scene is a bit fuzzy.
Gotcha. I wonder if it's a coincidence that MY memory of that scene is also a bit fuzzy? ;)

Also- caught Greenwalt's name. My estimation of the show went up a notch or two as a result.

I love this show. It's so fun. And it's an innocent, gleeful sort of fun which I don't often see. Psych has the same sort of cheer factor, with a dose of manic thrown in. ;)

The best part is it doesn't TRY to be serious, but it doesn't try to be a laugh-o-rama either; it exists to be (or not to be? :D). The writers have a much firmer grasp on intelligent humor than SOME shows I could mention. :P

Kem Rixen
August 1st, 2006, 07:54 PM
I just watched the newest one, really liked it, I was skeptical about how many stories you could do, but this really showed that the possibilities are endless. I'm so happy the episodes are staying at such a high caliber.

JanusAncient
August 1st, 2006, 08:02 PM
I can't remember the actresses name, in was Kim in the ep, but it is always nice to see her. A well deserved punch, but what Kim had in mind was better. A shame no one has linked Beverly to anything yet, but they will soon enough.

Ragnarok13
August 1st, 2006, 09:28 PM
EASTER EGG: did anyone else notice when that jason guy pulled his convertible over, the license plates first 3 things were "NID".i dont know if it was on purpose or just a coincidenc, but i thought it was kind of funny

Sela
August 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Very good episode tonight. Everytime someone yells out "Carter" I crack up!

How about that NID licence plate? LOL!!! I love these writers.

uknesvuinng
August 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
NID M5, clearly also a reference to Mythbusters, namely Jamie's M5 Industries...

Honestly, unless there's some interview or somesuch that mentioned there would be SG-1 references, I think many of these are imagined. Sorry.

Sela
August 1st, 2006, 09:50 PM
NID M5, clearly also a reference to Mythbusters, namely Jamie's M5 Industries...

Honestly, unless there's some interview or somesuch that mentioned there would be SG-1 references, I think many of these are imagined. Sorry.
I don't think so. There are way too many of them. Oh - and the bad guy this week's name is Anderson. :D Too many names in common for it to be coincidence.

uknesvuinng
August 1st, 2006, 09:55 PM
I don't think so. There are way too many of them. Oh - and the bad guy this week's name is Anderson. :D Too many names in common for it to be coincidence.
So they're also making Matrix references? What don't they reference?

Sela
August 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM
So they're also making Matrix references? What don't they reference?
I was thinking more in terms of Richard Dean, but it does work for Matrix as well.

They also have the name Zoe from Firefly. :)

It's just part of the fun. Is that a problem?

Xanderic
August 1st, 2006, 10:22 PM
oo Just watched the episode. Damn good.

Kim's the IOA Chinese representative in SG-1 isn't she?

uknesvuinng
August 1st, 2006, 10:23 PM
They also have the name Zoe from Firefly. :)

It's just part of the fun. Is that a problem?
Not really. Have all the fun you want. And that's an order. :P

I just didn't see the need in attributing such details to a reason that didn't necessarily even exist. Don't mind me.

Sela
August 1st, 2006, 10:27 PM
Not really. Have all the fun you want. And that's an order. :P

I just didn't see the need in attributing such details to a reason that didn't necessarily even exist. Don't mind me.
We don't know if it exists or not. There's a 50/50 chance either way.

For the record, I'm not the only that has picked up on it. A number of things were pointed out to me that I didn't catch. Like I said, all part of the fun if it works for you. If not, no problem.

Sela
August 1st, 2006, 10:28 PM
oo Just watched the episode. Damn good.

Yep, she is.

Kem Rixen
August 1st, 2006, 10:39 PM
That was bugging me the whole episode, I just couldn't figure out who that was. Thank you!

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2006, 04:54 AM
If all these coincidences ARE Stargate references, I'll lose respect for the show.

There's more than one interpretation for everything and sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence. I mean, ye gods, if you banned all names that ever appeared on Stargate on screen or behind it, you'd be pretty limited in what you can use. "OMG! That guy's name is Joe! That's obviously a reference to Joe Mallozzi!" "Didja see?? That place is called Smith's! Kavan Smith was on Stargate! That's too obvious NOT to be intentional!"

Even NID has multiple definitions.

I like the idea of Eureka being it's OWN show instead of a warehouse for SG references.

Metarock Sam
August 2nd, 2006, 05:22 AM
Well for UK fans Eureka is starting tonight at 9 on Sky One !!!
Looks great !!!

seetheship
August 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Eureka!! Saw the premiere couple weeks ago and what an entertaining show!! Love the quirky characters:) (might just be me but I do get a Twin Peaksy feeling about this one )

Anyway ,what a change from all the spinoffs and judging from all the lurve out there for it , this one might be a keeper for SciFi. 3rd ep and doing good! Kudos to TPTB (for a change ;) ) Nice to have found this thread! I`m sure it will grow in leaps and bounds over next couple of months.

Sela
August 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
If all these coincidences ARE Stargate references, I'll lose respect for the show.

There's more than one interpretation for everything and sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence. I mean, ye gods, if you banned all names that ever appeared on Stargate on screen or behind it, you'd be pretty limited in what you can use. "OMG! That guy's name is Joe! That's obviously a reference to Joe Mallozzi!" "Didja see?? That place is called Smith's! Kavan Smith was on Stargate! That's too obvious NOT to be intentional!"

Even NID has multiple definitions.

I like the idea of Eureka being it's OWN show instead of a warehouse for SG references.
What's the big deal?

Stargate was constantly referencing other shows including the whole Captain Kirk thing on SGA. It made us laugh and we enjoyed it.

If it is what's happening on Eureka, it's all in fun. If not, so what? Why is it necessary to try and ruin the fun others are having with the show "just because"?

Sheesh.

uknesvuinng
August 2nd, 2006, 09:44 AM
What's the big deal?

Stargate was constantly referencing other shows including the whole Captain Kirk thing on SGA. It made us laugh and we enjoyed it.

If it is what's happening on Eureka, it's all in fun. If not, so what? Why is it necessary to try and ruin the fun others are having with the show "just because"?

Sheesh.
There's quite a difference between referencing multiple well-known science fictions and referencing one science fiction that until recently was the biggest show SciFi had. Not to mention SG-1 and Atlantis made the references as sort of a pop culture thing, something that normally happens in real life. Eureka's alleged references are all along the lines of Easter eggs, and in regards to the story, they're supposed to be unintentional coincidences. Frankly, I wouldn't mind at all if they had a rookie deputy that ran into a dangerous situation, and Carter called him "Colonel Mitchell" as a pop culture reference. I'm cool with SG-1 as a show existing in the universe as long as they don't go overboard with the references.

Enemyone
August 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
If you look hard enough you can link anything back to Stargate or anyting that is as long running as it. Its pretty dumb to think they are putting these things in there for you to find them unless the majority of the writers are ex SG writers.

ThePope
August 2nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
Hey, just watching this on SKY 1 and im not sure if its been posted yet on here but i just saw a Genii weapon!!!! A bit odd!

Xanderic
August 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hey, just watching this on SKY 1 and im not sure if its been posted yet on here but i just saw a Genii weapon!!!! A bit odd!
eh? Where?

ShadowMaat
August 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
There's quite a difference between referencing multiple well-known science fictions and referencing one science fiction that until recently was the biggest show SciFi had.
Exactly. How about having Fargo own a comp (or even better a robot) named Gort? Or maybe SARAH can say, "I'm sorry, Jack, I'm afraid I can't do that." Or Henry can talk about his flux capacitor being on the fritz. There are TONS of possibilities, why limit yourself to ONE show, particularly when it's still on the air?

There's also the fact that I don't think that any (or at least many) of these "easter eggs" are eggs at all- I think they're coincidences that people twist into being Stargate references.

Now on the other claw, there was a bit of furor recently on Doctor Who when folks thought that "Jaffa gliders" were mentioned. I think it was decided that it wasn't, but I thought it was pretty cool while it lasted- because it fit in with the context of the scene and it was just one passing reference. Now, if I were so inclined, I could probably find dozens of ways that Who is easter egging Stargate, but I don't see much point in it. One joke is funny, many jokes aren't. Trying to CREATE jokes where there are none I see as a bit frustrating because pretty soon it becomes all about spot-the-reference and less about watching the episode itself.

I was watching some show last week and one of the characters mentioned an experiment a college professor did with his class. He told them all to watch the basketball game and count how many times the team passed the ball. At some point during the game a guy dressed in a gorilla suit ran across the court. The next day, the prof asked them about the gorilla guy and most of them said, "What gorilla?"

Point is, I guess, that I'd hate for folks to concentrate so hard on finding specific details that they miss what else is going on. Granted, folks are free to do it if they wish, but.. I dunno. I guess if it makes you happy that's all that matters, but if you're only watching Eureka to catch the Stargate references, aren't you better off just watching Stargate?

LaCroix
August 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm watching because for once NBC/Uni did something right for a change. It's different, quirky, and off the wall. Just like me.;)

uknesvuinng
August 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
Exactly. How about having Fargo own a comp (or even better a robot) named Gort? Or maybe SARAH can say, "I'm sorry, Jack, I'm afraid I can't do that." Or Henry can talk about his flux capacitor being on the fritz. There are TONS of possibilities, why limit yourself to ONE show, particularly when it's still on the air?

There's also the fact that I don't think that any (or at least many) of these "easter eggs" are eggs at all- I think they're coincidences that people twist into being Stargate references.

Now on the other claw, there was a bit of furor recently on Doctor Who when folks thought that "Jaffa gliders" were mentioned. I think it was decided that it wasn't, but I thought it was pretty cool while it lasted- because it fit in with the context of the scene and it was just one passing reference. Now, if I were so inclined, I could probably find dozens of ways that Who is easter egging Stargate, but I don't see much point in it. One joke is funny, many jokes aren't. Trying to CREATE jokes where there are none I see as a bit frustrating because pretty soon it becomes all about spot-the-reference and less about watching the episode itself.

I was watching some show last week and one of the characters mentioned an experiment a college professor did with his class. He told them all to watch the basketball game and count how many times the team passed the ball. At some point during the game a guy dressed in a gorilla suit ran across the court. The next day, the prof asked them about the gorilla guy and most of them said, "What gorilla?"

Point is, I guess, that I'd hate for folks to concentrate so hard on finding specific details that they miss what else is going on. Granted, folks are free to do it if they wish, but.. I dunno. I guess if it makes you happy that's all that matters, but if you're only watching Eureka to catch the Stargate references, aren't you better off just watching Stargate?
In Doctor Who it was a Jathan (or possibly Jatha) Sunglider. But yeah, there was a bit of excitement for a bit over the possibility of a SG-1 nod.

If one is convinced something isn't, then it's very unlikely they'll see when it is. Conversely, when one expects to see something, it's very easy to see it even when it isn't. Human perception is easily affected by expectations.

Morbo
August 2nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Honestly, unless there's some interview or somesuch that mentioned there would be SG-1 references,I think many of these are imagined. Sorry.

this is the correct viewpoint.

I'm glad someone else has their head on straight.

Easter Lily
August 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well, the show is going from strength to strength... :)
Great episode... this latest one...
A flame from Henry's past -- nice...

The best thing about this show is Jack Carter because he really doesn't belong there and yet he does. He is really smart... not geeky smart but street savvy.

I didn't get the Stargate references but kudos to those who did... you're more switched on than I am.
It's good to see people enjoying the show in different ways... hopefully that translates into more future episodes!

Easter Lily
August 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM
this is the correct viewpoint.

I'm glad someone else has their head on straight.
Maybe it is... maybe it isn't... ;)
But if they want to read more into it, that's their perogative. It's only TV show afterall. And this is a forum afterall...

Sela
August 2nd, 2006, 09:35 PM
I didn't get the Stargate references but kudos to those who did... you're more switched on than I am.

It's good to see people enjoying the show in different ways... hopefully that translates into more future episodes!
It is good to see people enjoying the show in different ways. How mature of you to celebrate that fact. Thank you for showing us how it should be done. It's a lesson we all can learn.

Wyrminarrd
August 3rd, 2006, 01:36 AM
This last episode was ok, though it seemed to me that it has plotholes a plenty.

I just find it incredibly unlikely that at no point did the guy use his device without a camera capturing it.

Also, I would have thought that plenty of people he worked with would have come up with the answers to the problems more then 20 minutes before telling him about them. This would mean that the people would remember coming up with the solution and they would wonder why the heck they didn´t tell anyone.

Still, a good episode.

Metarock Sam
August 3rd, 2006, 04:14 AM
I saw the premier last night and thought it was quite good. even though I missed the beginning when Walter turned the device on for the first time.
Sure there was loads of Stargate references but it was still a nice premier and the series looks like it has potential.
btw: my freind's brother complained because Walter's device looked almost identical to the device used by Doc Ock in Spiderman 2 !!! :D

Naonak
August 3rd, 2006, 05:00 AM
Saw the premiere last night.
It wasn't brilliant, but it was quite good, and likeable. I'd probably give it a 7/10.

What's the actual format of the show - is it basically broken invention/weird crap of the week, or is it more arc-based?

scifi_girl
August 3rd, 2006, 06:10 AM
i watched this on sky one last night, i thought it was really good. something different and very enjoyable. im definetly going to carry on watching it.

Tok'Ra Hostess
August 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
EASTER EGG: did anyone else notice when that jason guy pulled his convertible over, the license plates first 3 things were "NID".i dont know if it was on purpose or just a coincidenc, but i thought it was kind of funny

I doubt it was just a coinkydink; Wasn't it Peter Flemming who played Jason Anderson who plays agent Malcom Barret of the NID? ;)

ThePope
August 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
eh? Where?

Was near the begining when they unloading that guys motor home, you see the Genii weapon get pased around!

immhotep
August 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah i noticed that one too.
I watched the pilot a few minutes ago and i thought it was really good, it was funny and made fun of the fact it was geek town. The girl was realistic and she grew on me, all of the female leads were good.
Col. chekov was a typical military type but i still liked him.
Henry was a cool character.
Look forward to the next episode, with them going to new situations it will be interesting to see how long their creativeity lasts.

the fifth man
August 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM
Look forward to the next episode, with them going to new situations it will be interesting to see how long their creativeity lasts.

Same here.:)

I'm wondering that too about this show.

Easter Lily
August 3rd, 2006, 01:23 PM
I doubt it was just a coinkydink; Wasn't it Peter Flemming who played Jason Anderson who plays agent Malcom Barret of the NID? ;)
Wow... really?
He certainly has aged a bit...

That Nathan Stark really reminds me of Christian Bale... down to the swagger...

Midsummer Night's Dream/Invasion was a nice touch... when you think of all the forgetting or gaps in memory.

Oka
August 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
This show is already boring me. It's not original, it doesn't have good actors, it doesn't have good stories. I can't really see how I'm going to be able to keep watching it..................

Dear Sci Fi,

Please give us more real Sci-Fi shows in the vein of Babylon 5, BSG, Firefly, Farscape, SG-1, Star Trek, etc.

Sincerely,
Oka.

MarshAngel
August 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
This show is already boring me. It's not original, it doesn't have good actors, it doesn't have good stories. I can't really see how I'm going to be able to keep watching it..................

Dear Sci Fi,

Please give us more real Sci-Fi shows in the vein of Babylon 5, BSG, Firefly, Farscape, SG-1, Star Trek, etc.

Sincerely,
Oka.
You really make it sound like labor to watch or that you're obligated to keep going against your will. There is nothing wrong with disliking a show and moving on; no one's going to hold it against you.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for better Scifi like some of what we've had in the past though. These days, potentially good stuff get's cancelled before you can blink.

Eureka is silly, but it's new and funny. I'll watch until they make a mess of it as they inevitably do with all successful series.

Xanderic
August 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
You really make it sound like labor to watch or that you're obligated to keep going against your will. There is nothing wrong with disliking a show and moving on; no one's going to hold it against you.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for better Scifi like some of what we've had in the past though. These days, potentially good stuff get's cancelled before you can blink.

Eureka is silly, but it's new and funny. I'll watch until they make a mess of it as they inevitably do with all successful series.
very true. Watch until they screw something up and then move on to something else.

warmbeachbrat
August 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
Wow... really?
He certainly has aged a bit...

That Nathan Stark really reminds me of Christian Bale... down to the swagger...

Midsummer Night's Dream/Invasion was a nice touch... when you think of all the forgetting or gaps in memory.

Well, according to TV.com, Jason Alexander was played by Andrew Airlie. I was trying to figure out where I'd seen him before--the name doesn't sound at all familiar. Oh--he was Kalan in Learning Curve (among other things!). I remember now.

Hee! You're right, Nathan Stark reminds me of Christian Bale, too.

I really, really liked this episode.

ETA: Wow! He's been in a LOT of things that I've seen:

http://www.tv.com/andrew-airlie/person/22571/appearances.html

Morbo
August 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
It is good to see people enjoying the show in different ways. How mature of you to celebrate that fact. Thank you for showing us how it should be done. It's a lesson we all can learn.

http://x89.xanga.com/a25b42377753340596631/b27684741.jpg

Easter Lily
August 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM
very true. Watch until they screw something up and then move on to something else.
That's my viewing philosophy... then I don't stress about anything and waste my own time by complaining about it.

But I'm liking Eureka so far... it's good for at least one season right? ;)
That's more than what Firefly got.

Jonzey
August 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
That's my viewing philosophy... then I don't stress about anything and waste my own time by complaining about it.

But I'm liking Eureka so far... it's good for at least one season right? ;)
That's more than what Firefly got.
Well... I think it's only a 13 episode season- and Firefly got around 13 eps before cancellation. So technically it may only last as long as Firefly.

Personally, I hope it sticks around a while longer- It's the only thing I have to watch mid-week (Stargates on Friday and Dead Zone/4400 is Sunday)

Sela
August 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM
http://x89.xanga.com/a25b42377753340596631/b27684741.jpg
I'm not sure what Tiger Woods has to do with all of this, but thanks for the pic. He's my favorite athelete. I watch him all the time and I don't even play golf. :D