PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Season 1 Episode

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 09:39 AM
What's your favourite Season 1 episode and why?

For info about Season One episodes click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/index.shtml)

Shipperahoy
April 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I voted for Singularity. It introduced Cassie (yay!) and it had a great plost and I remember really being on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it. I was on pins and needles to see if Cassie would really die and almost cried when Sam was taking her down the elevator. Really rode the emotional roller coaster with that episode.

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM
I voted for Torment of Tantalus - it's my favourite SG episode over all to be honest. Although when I first saw it I hated it - poor Ernst stranded there all those years haunted me for ages afterwards. I actually found myself tormented over things like what did he eat? How did he cope with losing everything? And poor Catherine!

The ending always gets me. That split second Daniel stands there, and you really really don't know which he's going to choose - to leave or to stay. That second was quite heart stopping the first time I saw the episode, and it still has a lot of power now when I rewatch the episode. The whole question of knowledge for its own sake was a powerful subtext too.

Major Clanger
May 1st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Me too, Torment of Tantalus is my favourite ep of all. I worry a lot about Ernest, what he went through (why he wasn't even more flaky when they found hm) and the question of what he ate really really bugs me.

Where did he get his fresh water? Why didn't he have a beard?

And yet, it has just about everything a Stargate ep could possibly offer.

Osiris
May 1st, 2004, 03:53 AM
The Torment of Tantalus: mythology, Catherine, "pre-gate" story, four races...

SeaBee
May 1st, 2004, 04:09 AM
Gotta go for "The Nox" here. I Thought the acting was superb, and the race had obviously been well thought out.

I also fell in love with Lya. :o

Thor
May 1st, 2004, 04:39 AM
I voted "The Nox" but " The Torment of Tantalus" is also a nice Episode.

bcmilco
May 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
I voted for Solitudes because I think it's a great story, it shows us how close the team has become, and it gives us some interesting back story for O'Neill.

I also really like the fact that they introduced a second stargate on Earth. I thought that idea spawned sever interesting story arcs, and lead to some very interesting conclusions/outcomes.

And, yes, I found it to be shippy. :)

There were several other outstanding episodes, but this one always stands out the most in my mind.

Norlioness
May 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
I voted Children of the Gods. This episode started the great adventures of SG-1. Apophis impressed me as one cool baddie - very well dressed too. :D

My other fave episode from S1 is Within the Serpent's Grasp. I thought the cliff hanger at the end was awesome, when SG-1 looks out the viewing portal on Klorel's ship, they see Earth.

David85
May 2nd, 2004, 03:53 PM
There but for the Grace of God is my favorite. It's an amazing view of the "world" and the name is just perfect.

Nolamom
May 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
I voted for Solitudes because I think it's a great story, it shows us how close the team has become, and it gives us some interesting back story for O'Neill.

Yes! I know it's considered a 'shippy' episode, but it is so much more. I love the way everyone back at the base is wracking their brains trying to find O'Neill and Carter. I love how Carter keeps trying and has to deal with disappointment. I love O'Neill's wisecracks through the pain and almost certain death. And Hammond gets to leave the base! :p
Nola

Sam_o_Neill
May 3rd, 2004, 04:17 AM
I never thought I would find it so hard to choose the best episode of a season :S
But in the end I decided to go for Hathor. I think its great that all the women have to gang up to save the base :)

Watters87
May 3rd, 2004, 05:50 AM
There but for the Grace Of God. Very well written episode and a nice set up for the season finale. Also a good 'shippy' episode.

Spaceminx
May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 AM
I don't knoooowwwww... I can't choose between Singularity, Solitudes and There But for the Grace of God.

Actually I think I'll plump for TBFTGOG. Its a great 'what if?' ep (but not as good as 2010).

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Too many great episodes to list. I voted for Singularity, simply because its my most watched episode ever, that and In the Line of Duty.

I love Katie Stuart's Cassandra (definately not the Rites of Passage Colleen Rennison Cassandra.) It was such a fab episode, I get teary every time lol!

Solitudes, is also excellent. I love it because there is the first quality Sam/Jack time in there.

I know most people dont, but I like Emancipation. It was necessary to get on with the show and to let Sam be human and not an uber b--ch. Lol.

Enemy Within, Serpent's Lair/Grasp, Children of the Gods....list goes on.

Politics is boring though. And I was never that keen on Torment of Tantalus or There But For...

auralan
May 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
I went with The Nox. Introducing new races and characters is always tricky. This one managed to introduce to a new race well and flesh out the existing characters while still being entertaining. Impressive.

Twisted Angel (Sam_rules)
May 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM
It is so hard to choose but I have to go with There but for the Grace of God. It is good to see SG-1 in a different way then they are in our reality. Plus it is shippy :).

~Tracey

QunStrudel
May 5th, 2004, 01:20 AM
I picked Torment of Tantalus as my favorite season one episode as well as my favorite Stargate episode ever. I think someone said earlier why I like it so much, powerful subtext. I also loved the character interaction between Jack and Daniel, especially at the end with that battle of wills that nearly got them both killed. (a grand tradition to follow them throughout the series.. ;) )

Lys
May 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Within the Serpent's Grap is my favourite season 1 episode because I think it's the most powerful cliffhanger they did as a season's end. But remember I haven't seen yet the season 7 finale so I may change my mind.

SamInChicago
May 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Within the Serpent's Grap is my favourite season 1 episode because I think it's the most powerful cliffhanger they did as a season's end.

I was very tempted to vote for that one, and I definitely think it's the best season ender. Also considered CoTG and TofT, but in the end I went with TBFTGoG. It has wonderful atmosphere and was a great set up to what was to happen in WtSG/Serpent's Lair.

KorbenDirewolf
May 6th, 2004, 12:11 AM
There But For the Grace of God.. A great setup for several other episodes that came after.

D.C.
May 6th, 2004, 02:21 AM
I voted for Within The Serpent's Grasp. Both Children of the Gods and There But For The Grace Of God would be a close second. :)

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Children of the Gods, it's where it all started (in SG-1 anyway).

There but for the Grace of God is also an excellent episode.

Bagpuss
May 9th, 2004, 04:26 AM
I eventually decided on "Hathor",as I felt it was a really good ep for the SGC females, and proved they're just as good as the guys, at kicking Goa'uld Butt.Loved Teal'c in this episode too! :D

Love most SG1 eps anyway,so choosing favourites comes hard! IMO,it's always easier to explain why I don't like something, than to single out an episode for special praise. :(

(Hon. mentions for Thor's Hammer,The Nox and Singularity).

Dani347
May 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM
(Hon. mentions for Fifth Race,The Nox and Singularity).

The Fifth Race was season 2

Matt G
May 9th, 2004, 08:28 AM
TBFTGOG gets the edge is it was the first real SG1 classic.

-Major Woody
May 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I voted for 'Within the Serpent's Grasp' because not only is it an excellent cliff-hanger, but it is an excellent chapter in an excellent 4-episode arc, and it was also the first episode I ever saw back in '98 when I first subscribed to SHO.

sshspooky
May 20th, 2004, 02:09 AM
i voted for Politics. I thought it was a great episode as really the first of that type of episode, and it really summed up the season and gave reality to the series.

spook

Crazedwraith
May 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM
"The first commandment"

Lord Dagda
May 21st, 2004, 03:32 AM
I voted COTG, my all-time fave classic SG1 action/adventure/fun :D The Nox, Hathor, There but for the Grace of God were also excellent eps!

USS Thunderchild
May 21st, 2004, 02:09 PM
No doubt ''There but for the Grace of God." It's just great science fiction no matter how you cut it, and one of my all time favorite Sg-1 eppys.

Phil

jtg
June 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM
The Torment of Tantalus.

Easily one of my favorite ep of all time. :D

jtg :rolleyes:

DanielFan
June 24th, 2004, 07:39 PM
I picked There but for the Grace of God because it introduced the idea of alternate realities and really set up the idea that anything could happen in the Stargate world. Great episode too.

ShadowMaat
June 24th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Torment of Tantalus. Sets up all kinds of important things for later, shows us Daniel's wonderful obsession and preoccupation with knowledge, introduces us to Ernest Littlefield (RIP) and had some very cool visual effects as well.

TBFTGOG is a close second, though. ;)

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Torment of Tantalus without question. Definitely in my Top 10 episodes of all time.
TBFTGOG and Solitudes make up the rest of the top three.

Dahar Master Thor
July 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Within the Serpent's Grasp. Now, that's a cliff-hanger!

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
That was a great cliffhanger, espically for a first season

AgentX
July 11th, 2004, 08:14 AM
followed by a terrific conclusion. In fact that whole mini-arc at the end of season one was fantastic.

Anubis
July 11th, 2004, 08:16 AM
I agree. Season one was fantastic, espically the ending. Season two opener was great conclusion

AgentX
July 11th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Season 1 of SG1 was probably the best start to any science fiction show.

Uncle Dick
September 23rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
In the minefield of Sci-Fi cliches that SG-1 frequently navigates, The Nox feels truly original. Apophis, the death of SG-1, floating cities and hot hippy chicks; what more could you want?

berenikee
October 19th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Well, season 1 is not my favorite, but I like Enigma - Maybourne, Narim, Schrodinger :)
And Daniel was there very sweet...

GeneralJackO'Neill
October 27th, 2004, 07:39 PM
I liked Withing the Serpent's Grasp. Mainly because the team goes on a strike mission to sabotage Apophis' fleet.

JackDaniels
February 9th, 2005, 10:28 AM
I voted for Torment of Tantalus. It was close between this, Within the serpents Grasp and TBFTGOG, but Within the Serpent's grasp lost because The serpent's lair was better, and TBFTGOG lost out becuase the line where Daniel says "ha ha you mean I'm in some kind of alternate reality" was overacted so badly that it still grates on me.

I voted for Torment of Tantalus because it was a good mythology episode and it was nice to see a good happy ending for Catherine and Ernest. It also brought a bit more background to the Stargate universe, not only with the four races but also with the experiments in the 1940's. It always sticks out in my mind, and I love watching it!

Qtyled
March 4th, 2005, 03:27 AM
It was really between Children of the Gods, There but for the Grace of God, Within the Serpent's Grasp, Thor's Hammer and Cold Lazarus, but I ended up choosing The Torment of Tantalus.

Sha're
March 7th, 2005, 03:27 PM
The Torment of Tantalus, because of poor Earnest. Catherine and him are lovely. And because I think this is a good Daniel episode, I love the differences between him and Jack that were really evident in the first few series.

TheWarrior
March 8th, 2005, 10:10 AM
I voted for The Torment Of Tantalus as it introduced the mythdology into the series and the idea of the Fifth Race.

I also enjoyed Children Of The Gods - The Nox - Singularity - There But For The Grace Of God - Within The Serpent's Grasp.

fair_nymph
March 13th, 2005, 04:56 AM
There But for the Grace of God took my vote -- it has just a great combo of suspense, new information, mind-boggling, and that touch of shippy romance.

A very close runner-up was The Torment of Tantalus, an episode I found truly painful. I don't think I've ever identified with Daniel as much since then. It was fascinating to learn about the 4 races as well.

My other favourites in this season were: The Nox, Thor's Hammer and Hathor. Great new characters and the episodes had fantastic endings.

Aside: I can't believe someone voted for Emancipation! I'd love to hear why, since it wasn't an episode that I particularly liked.

Freyrs
March 13th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Torment of Tantalus

First time they metion the four races it. Got me hooked! :D

SmartFox
March 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM
This one was pretty easy for me. With in the Serpent's Grasp. I thought this one was best because we got to see alot new Goa'uld stuff. Such as Zats, Hat'aks, and hyperspace.

Celsius
March 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Hmm, it really is close between a few eps. I think in the end I'd have to go with Enigma, it brought up a lot of cool ideas and introduced us to the Tollan. Though Cold Lazarus is a close second, and if I watched it again it'd probably get the number 1 spot.

UnderT
March 25th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I went with Torment of Tantelus. The whole meeting place thing was awesome. I wish they could revisit it though.

Hemu
March 26th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Too many good episodes... The Broca divide, Fire and water and The Nox were good but the best was There but for the grace of good. The idea of alternate realities is just fantastic.

LouisaB
March 26th, 2005, 04:08 AM
I voted for the Nox as I really love that race of beings and hope to see more of them in the future. I thought they would perhaps be in more than they have been though I don't like to say anything more than that here in case of people avoiding spoilers for later series episodes.

Brief Candle actually ran a close second place for me with Enigma and Hathor not far behind either.

alexia_star_2002
March 26th, 2005, 04:11 AM
I voted for the Nox....it's my favorite from S1.

ivy714
March 26th, 2005, 04:27 AM
There are a lot of good episodes..... I voted for The Broca Divide.

knocknashee
March 26th, 2005, 12:29 PM
This one was hard, cos there are loads of good episodes in this series - to be honest, about half my faves overall come from series one...

I chose Torment of Tantalus in the end though. I just loved the mythology, and seeing the gate in a more recent history context. And my mind boggled at the idea of someone being stranded like that for years...poor Ernest...

Mirnell
April 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I had to vote for Torment of Tantalus. Most of my favorite episodes are the ones where the team isn't fighting Goa'uld and having huge battles, but rather exploring and gaining new knowledge about themselves and other races. As someone who has been known to disappear into libraries for hours at a time, I well known the temptation of knowledge, and appreciate the writers acknowledging this.

Mirnell

Cassie
April 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I voted for Singularity! They introducted Cassie!!! I think she brought some real innocents to the show and she was so adorable! Also great acting by AT espically in the elevator scene!

ARMS
April 17th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Children of the Gods, most season 1 episodes were pretty lame in my opinion.

Petra
February 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Choosing just one episode was really hard. I finally settled on TBFTGOG, because I just love AU episodes and this one was great. It had everything: our beloved heroes being so similar and yet so different, Catherine, invasion of Earth shown very realistically. It made us realise just how lucky we are in our reality. And at the end everybody died..;)
Runner up was Solitudes. Another great episode, low on SFX and sci-fi element, but an interesting character study which allowed us to really get to know Sam and Jack.
Other episodes which I love and considered: Within the serpent's grasp, Tin Man, Hathor, Torments of Tantalus, the Nox, Cold Lazarus, Broca Divide (for some odd reason I really enjoy this ep) and of course Children of the Gods.
See how hard it is? Frankly, there's not even 1 episode in this season that I dislike..

Butlersgate
February 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Cold Lazarus because you see an insight to jack's past and it's the first episode you see how destructive the gou'ld can really be.

Ulkesh47
February 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I almost voted for "The Torment of Tantalus" but then hit "There but for the Grace of God" instead.

LoneStar1836
February 19th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hmm....4 years ago I voted for Solitudes in the poll, but today I would change that to There but for the Grace of God.

Rac80
February 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It was hard to choose just one: i loved Thor's Hammer, Torment of Tantalus, TBFTGOG, the Nox... i could go on!

I voted for thor's hammer :)

jelgate
February 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Within the Serpent's Grasp

magictrick
February 19th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Choosing between Children of the Gods, The Nox and There but for the Grace of God is really tough.

I just randomed it and went with The Nox in this case, but they are all equally my favorites.

duffarama
February 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
There but for the Grace of God still remains my favorite Stargate episode of all time.

Sue_Jackson
February 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Torment of Tantalus

:)

WishIwasJoes
February 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Within the Serpent's Grasp, the music cues finally were less distracting by then.

Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper
February 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
"Torment of Tantalus"

Honorable mention goes to "Solitudes", "Cold Lazurus", and "Thor's Hammer".

Replicator Todd
February 21st, 2009, 03:33 PM
There but for the Grace of God. The alternate SGC invasion was aweosme! Yeah, I like battles in the SGC....

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Boy! That was hard! I went with Children of the Gods (blocking the utterly gratuitous nude scene out of my mind, because I know they were forced into it to get the series made), but I really liked many of the others equally, particularly Fire and Water, The Nox, There but for the Grace of God, and Within the Serpent's Grasp. I really could have picked any of those.

Flow
February 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
My favourite episodes from season 1 would be Children of the Gods, The Nox, There but for the Grace of God and Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Children of the Gods was a great pilot for Stargate, while Within the Serpent's Grasp had an awesome cliffhanger. The Nox was a great way to introduce a powerful alien race, too bad we didn't get to see much of them later.

I voted for There but for the Grace of God, because this was the episode that made me fall in love with Stargate. A great setup for the season finale and a wonderful what-if episode.

Also nice episodes were The Broca Divide, Thor's Hammer and Solitudes.

nx01a
February 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I love Within the Serpent's Grasp. It's consistently entertaining from beginning to end. Hat'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak!

g.o.d
February 27th, 2009, 01:27 AM
that's very easy:) Children of the Gods

Amaunet
March 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
There but for the Grace of God
But I'd hate not to mention The Torment of Tantalus & Solitudes...which I loved also

Xcully
March 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I voted Children of Goods! I think it's a great pilot. But I love so much also There but for the Grace of God, Within the Serpent's Grasp and Solitudes!

Alder
March 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
A few good episodes, but I liked Thor's Hammer. First little hint of the Asgard to come...

pinielf
March 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM

Pharaoh Atem
March 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM

"there coming" chills

Khentkawes
March 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I voted for "There But for the Grace of God."
I think it was one of the first episodes I saw that really made me fall in love with the show. I was watching re-runs out of order, and was pretty confused in general, but TBFTGOF struck me as unique, and made me realize there was something special about this show.

Runners-up: Torment of Tantalus, and Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Ksya
March 24th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I liked Within the Serpent's Grasp because of the visual effects and the cliffhanger at the end.

Cor-ai came in close second because it really showed how noble and honest Teal'c is.

Killdeer
April 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Again, very very hard choice. I chose Within the Serpent's Grasp, because really, this episode had all the things that made me love SG-1 for so long. But there were so many great episodes this season. Thor's Hammer is another favorite - so is Solitudes, Singularity, Tin Man, There But For the Grace of God, Cold Lazarus, The Nox, Fire and Water, Torment of Tantalus....:) To be honest, there's only a couple of episodes this season that I don't like. ;)

Milea
April 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I voted for The Broca Divide that was a great episode kinda creepy though lol but it cracked me up the whole "Lucy I'm home" scene lol.I also liked Cold Lazarus,Fire and Water,Singularity

bunny fear
April 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I went for Children of the Gods...it was such a great opener and got me hooked for 10 years!

I also love There But for the Grace of God, Solitudes, The Nox, Thor's Hammer and Tin Man.

The Stig
April 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I had to go with the pilot because it introduced us to the characters. And it was a really good episode in which we see the softer side to the enemies soldier that we missed out on in the movie.