PDA

View Full Version : Should New Who have been made to be more like the Classic Who?

Flyboy
February 16th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I pose this question with the view for not just one area of discussion, but several.

1) Should the new eps have kept the old style of continuing episodes?

2) Should the invdividual DVDs have been released with Classic Who style covers? (relative to the UK only really)

3) Should the traditional blue Doctor Who logo have been kept?

Rowana
February 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I pose this question with the view for not just one area of discussion, but several.

2) Should the invdividual DVDs have been released with Classic Who style covers? (relative to the UK only really)

Let's see...

As far as the first question goes, I do kinda miss the old episode style. Mostly because it led to longer stories than just one or two of the newer episodes. The show could also invest more in story specific side characters and places some of which are very good. I certainly hope that we will get to go more places than just Earth in the future.

I do like the new logo though. I think it's pretty cool and still in keeping with the Doctor Who style.

Metarock Sam
February 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Yes Yes Yes Bring it back bring it all back to the classic ways.

creed462
February 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I think they should have kept the serial format

Easter Lily
February 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
In short, my answer is "No"...
As much as I am fond of the old series... I think it was a product of its times. Beebs really needed to appeal to a new generation as well as the older audience. For instance, the theme music from Tom Baker onwards is definitely not my cup of tea. I like the way they've revamped the theme in the new series.

Science fiction is a genre that dates easily because a lot of it is based on special effects and what technology can offer in that regard.
Frankly speaking I don't know if people would be used to the serial format these days when most shows (while having an underlying continuity) are pretty much standalone eps.

Didn't The Dr Who logo change several times anyway?... :S

in circles
February 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
No to all of them. I like the mix of stand alone episodes and 2 parters we have now. Less time spent watching people run up and down corridors and more character development. It doesn't really make sense to package the dvds in the same way as the old series since they're pretty different things and it's only going to confuse those who haven't seen the old stuff.
Didn't like the new logo at first but its grown on me and it makes sense to have a new logo for the new series.

Flyboy
February 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM
But why should the show deny its roots? In adopting different cover styles and labelling the boxset as "The Complete First Series" it's almost as if they're trying to set the new series up as an original show, much like Enterprise when it first started. It now lacks the continuity from 1996 movie to 2005 Series.

The blue logo is now used to market ALL classic Doctor Who merchandise, and it worked well for the movie, so why not carry it across to the new series?

The new series is intent on doing this complete action packed thrill ride thing which imo isnt as good as the old series where people would INVESTIGATE something for a good fifteen minutes before there was any sign of an attack.

I DONT feel that there's enough character development, and there's far too much visiting present day earth.

dont get me wrong. There are aspects of the new series that i LOVE, i LOVED the TARDIS head on attack on the Dalek mother ship, and I love the military portrayal. But the eps sometimes seem a little rushed to me... and far too... glossy.

The new series DOES seem to be aimed at a younger audiance, and i do miss the days of the older doctors, and that includes McGann when the focus was about exploring fantastic new amazing places and seeing new wonders, everything was sort of... magical. Much like the initial few series of SG1 where there was as much wonder as there was action.

Now Dr Who has gone on to be like the later seasons of SG1 and is focusing on constant action and such and less on the wonders of whats out there. This is reflected in the opening sequence, the theme, the logo, and the filming style.

Easter Lily
February 16th, 2006, 04:55 PM
*cough cough* I beg to differ on the serialization question.
I must be a product of the instant generation... :P because I like it the way it is now more than the way it was serialized. Occasionally I see the need for the two parters... which have so far been very appropriately used.
Also we mustn't forget that the episodes now are longer so one episode of the new series could be the equivalent of 2 or even 3 of the old. I've been revisiting the classic series here in Australia the last couple of year and I think some of the episodes were unnecessarily dragged out with overlong car/alien chases and red herrings. I'm not saying that that's the case for ALL the episodes but it happened a lot of the time. Also it annoyed me that the beginning of the next episode is always taken up with a few minutes of the previous episode. (At least it feels like a few minutes) I don't mind what BSG or Stargate does with the "Previously on..." stuff, that makes sense to me but to rehash the last few minutes of every single episode is a bit much.

One of the things that I actually like about the new series is how zippy it is. The pacing is a lot tighter and one actually feels that sense of urgency.
I believe that sense of wonder is still there but it needs to come largely from the companion(s).

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
February 16th, 2006, 07:02 PM

1) Should the new eps have kept the old style of continuing episodes?Yes.

2) Should the invdividual DVDs have been released with Classic Who style covers? (relative to the UK only really)No, because the Region 2 covers have the old style TARDIS roundels, so that doesn't work. Plus the logo has been updated.

3) Should the traditional blue Doctor Who logo have been kept?Traditional? It was used during the first four seasons of Pertwee's era, the 1996 Movie, and all merchandise since then, but I wouldn't call it "traditional". Yes, I like the Pertwee logo.

No, I don't like the new one.

However, there were seven logos used in the original series, so I accept that change as part of the show.

Also, the show is now in widescreen, therefore a wide logo.

Yet, I still prefer the others.

To see the logos, click here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23930). I have attached files there which contain the various logos (except Colin Baker's logo, which proved very difficult to recreate).

February 16th, 2006, 07:22 PM
But why should the show deny its roots? In adopting different cover styles and labelling the boxset as "The Complete First Series" it's almost as if they're trying to set the new series up as an original show, much like Enterprise when it first started. It now lacks the continuity from 1996 movie to 2005 Series.There's a reason for that. They're relaunching the series and they're trying to draw in new fans. That means they need to keep it simple. As time goes on, we'll see more elements from the classic series emerge and more continuity will be revealed.

If they had started with Season 27 or 28, it probably would have scared away the new audience. Many folks would have thought, "Well, I don't have time to catch up on all that."

The blue logo is now used to market ALL classic Doctor Who merchandise, and it worked well for the movie, so why not carry it across to the new series?Once again, they wanted to rebrand it to avoid confusion with the classic series merchandise.

The new series is intent on doing this complete action packed thrill ride thing which imo isnt as good as the old series where people would INVESTIGATE something for a good fifteen minutes before there was any sign of an attack.That's what I love in particular about the early seasons of the classic series. You really got emersed in that world. Much of the plot devices that would be used later were setup as part of the world. They would explore and get into trouble. You got the sense they were just trying to survive.

I DONT feel that there's enough character development, and there's far too much visiting present day earth.The same could be said about different eras of the classic series. I think characterization is good, but there was too much Earth. RTD's attempt to keep us grounded and care about the characters.

dont get me wrong. There are aspects of the new series that i LOVE, i LOVED the TARDIS head on attack on the Dalek mother ship, and I love the military portrayal. But the eps sometimes seem a little rushed to me... and far too... glossy.It's a matter of taste. I prefer the more leisurely pace of the classic series. It gave me a chance to soak it all up. IMO, the new series does rush around, because the newer fans are less patient.

The new series DOES seem to be aimed at a younger audiance, and i do miss the days of the older doctors, and that includes McGann when the focus was about exploring fantastic new amazing places and seeing new wonders, everything was sort of... magical. Much like the initial few series of SG1 where there was as much wonder as there was action.Yes, I agree. In the case of SG-1, RDA kind of ruined that with his blase attitude.

The Doctor picked Rose as a companion because she was very adaptable, but I think we lost a lot with that. I remember Ian & Barbara struggling to grasp new ideas in every story. Back then, the show really opened your mind. Maybe it still does now, but it doesn't give enough time for it all to sink in. By The Long Game, I got the impression that Rose wasn't going to express much more wonder and the "magic" of the travels was gone, even though the enthusiasm was still there.

Now Dr Who has gone on to be like the later seasons of SG1 and is focusing on constant action and such and less on the wonders of whats out there. This is reflected in the opening sequence, the theme, the logo, and the filming style.Maybe when the next companion comes, things will change.

Nuallain
February 17th, 2006, 01:54 AM

No, it's a different world now. Even back in 1963 the serial format was considered old fashioned and quaint. Doctor Who was practically the last program to be commissioned using it. It's main justification, in fact, was simply that it was cheaper to re-use the same sets for four-seven weeks and not have to pay for the casting process for new characters. These days people simply wouldn't *watch* a show like that and even a two-parter has to earn its status by being epic enough in scope (do you really think the average viewer would tune into a Stargate episode called "Fourth Horsemen of the Apocolypse Part Six" for instance?)

The new show maintains the budget and arcs through revisiting the same locations throughout the season. Just think of Rose/Aliens of London/World War Three/Boom Town as a four part story if it makes you feel any better.

No. The market research carried out by the BBC discovered that people had a negative reaction to stressing the link between the two. Adults who could remember the old Who would think the new one would probably be shabbily made and 'just for kids', while kids would think that the new show was 'for their dads'. That's why things like "He's Back!" or "The return of..." was avoided in all promotion of the series.

Having the same logo on both sets of products would had a similar effect - 'tricking' new series fans into buying old series stuff that then might put them off the whole thing.

There's really no 'tradional blue' logo at all! The logo that appears on merchandise at the moment was only used for 1970-1973 and again in 1996. And, overall, the old series had a blue logo (of one sort or another) for 12 of the 26 seasons, a white one for 11 and a black one for 3.

The logo changes a lot - and using one that's a colour (orange) that's never been used for makes it very simple and easy to differentiate new and old Who.

Flyboy
February 17th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Ok, Firstly in relation to Nuallain:

I would disagree as to your description of the limited use of the blue logo. Yes it was first properly seen in Pertwee's era, but it was a very slight development from the Hartnell and Troughton logos, which were essentially rudamentrary versions of the same thing.

Ok, I'll give on the whole serial episode thing, but I still think it's far too "zippy" and fast paced. I mean, really, sometimes the fast pace DOES work. It worked brilliantly in Parting of the ways and Bad Wolf. Buit there are times when it shouldn't have been employed.

DASP;

I can, unfortunatly, see exactly what you mean with your argument. Though why they couldn't have labelled the boxset "Doctor Who, The Complete Christopher Eccleston Collection" or something...

I'm glad someone agrees about the pace and style of the show.

IMO, keeping things grounded to Earth has made it too much into a Buffy style show. Far too much focus on what's been left behind and not what is out there.

The Doctor seems to be an action hero now, as opposed to an adventurer and an unwilling hero.

And on a completely personal note.

I really hate Rose.

I do however LOVE the new series, really, I do. I just prefer classic Who.

creed462
February 17th, 2006, 08:35 AM
I am happy they are putting elements from the old seris in season 2

Metarock Sam
February 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yep for in season two it is confirmed that so far we will have Sarah Jane Smith, K-9, The Cybermen and also the Daleks. A Well round ground for this season to stand on.

creed462
February 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
The Darleks, I thought they wern't coming back for a while

Metarock Sam
February 18th, 2006, 01:42 AM
No The Darleks are set to return alongside theCybermen in the Two parter at the end of the season titled Army of Ghosts and Doomsday

Madeleine
February 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM

No, it's a different world now.

I agree. This time around Who had to make an immediate impact; lots of people were going to watch the first new ep out of curiosity but only a self-contained story would be able to generate the buzz that would be needed for them to turn on again the next week, or to tell their friends to. Same with the next couple of stories - New Who couldn't bank on people being prepared to commit the effort to a multi-week story.

The modern way to run a SF show seems to be a mix of mainly single-ep stories and occasional two parters, and perhaps an arc underpinning the series to a greater or lesser extent. Who has fitted itself into that format pretty effectively. I think it would be nice, now that it's established as a reasonably successful show, if they expanded their horizons and gave us a few more two-parters and three parters, but I can't fault them for having taken the path they did for s27.

creed462
February 18th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I think the big thing is that IT'S BACK and it is quality

Flyboy
February 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
No The Darleks are set to return alongside theCybermen in the Two parter at the end of the season titled Army of Ghosts and Doomsday
Off topic slightly...

You CANNOT be serious?! When was that revealed, it just cheapens the victory we saw before!

February 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Of topic slightly...

You CANNOT be serious?! When was that revealed, it just cheapens the victory we saw before!I can't tell you when it was revealed, because I've been trying to avoid spoilers. As a result, I don't look at the press releases.

Yet, somehow the spoilers keep finding their way to me. I need to invest in a cone of silence or something.

Doctor Who Season 2
It's supposed to be set in an alternate universe.

Flyboy
February 18th, 2006, 01:34 PM
*slams head into desk.* Oh FCOL...

I WISH i hadn't read that spoiler up there...

February 18th, 2006, 01:43 PM
*slams head into desk.* Oh FCOL...

I WISH i hadn't read that spoiler up there...Well, that paticular case was somewhat your fault, but I know how you feel.

I have been actively avoiding any thread or website that might contain spoilers for the Christmas Special or Season 2.

Yet, every once in a while someone posts information on a classic thread or classic Doctor Who web page about the new series.

Other times, I have been careful to use spoiler tags about the stories (both Classic Series and New Series) I have seen, only to have someone else respond and announce the spoilers.

Flyboy
February 18th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Oh of course it's my fault, I don't deny that. I simply read things like that without thinking... it's an annoying habit.

The FCOL however was at the content of the spoiler, which I think is ridiculous.

February 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh of course it's my fault, I don't deny that. I simply read things like that without thinking... it's an annoying habit.

The FCOL however was at the content of the spoiler, which I think is ridiculous.But at least it's consistent with the premise of the show.

I said "somewhat" because spoilers are supposed to be preceded by a series, season, or story reference so you know exactly what is being spoiled.

It still was possible to know that in this case by reading the posts sequentially.

SPOILERS: You are welcome to post info about episodes that others might not have seen yet, as long as you take precautions not to spoil them. Any thread that contains plot info, surprise developments or character appearances, etc., for episodes in any current or future season, either on either cable or in syndication, must indicate in the first message, or the first message and thread title, that the thread includes spoilers for that episode(s). An example:

SPOILERS for "Episode Title" (Season #) below!

Include this line and the [spoiler] tag, or this line and at least 10 blank lines at the top of the first post. If you are replying to an existing thread that isn't marked for spoilers from that episode, include this in your post.

creed462
February 18th, 2006, 06:54 PM
They did keep the Tardis a blue police box

Madeleine
February 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
I *composed* the Non-Stargate Spoiler policy so I really have no excuse - but I read the spoiler too and immediately wished I hadn't! I think it's too soon, and does indeed detract from the last series-ender. And will also detract from any future story where something 'permanent' happens.

On the other hand, at least (cue attempt to get on topic) it's consistent with Old Who. I can get why they're doing it. :S

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Definitely, I agree entirely. It completely rubbishes the victory seen in The Parting of The Ways. Bringing back the daleks is of course a must, however so soon is kind of silly, even if it is an alternate universe. Also bringing back the Daleks again for the second series finale is ridiculous, it just makes it seem like the only enemy in Doctor Who that matters is the Daleks.

It's like the problem with SG-1 it was ALWAYS the goa'uld, then when they introduced new enemies they were always "worse than the goa'uld". Why they can't make the big enemy in the new series just something different, but not nessacerily worse, i dont know.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
The Doctor needs mutible enemies

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
The Doctor needs mutible enemies
Exactly. reusing the fore mentioned race again is kind of ridiculous when it's so soon.

February 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Exactly. reusing the fore mentioned race again is kind of ridiculous when it's so soon.I say bring back the Dominators and Quarks. :)

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
I really don't remember those, I'll go look them up!

I wonder what a revisit to the Web Planet would bring?

I wouldn't mind seeing a return of the contant seen in The Mind Robber. It could be a very funny episode.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Maybe not the Darleks but Davros would work.
Or maybe bring back Suteck

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Ok, I have an idea, this is also a challenge for Deputy-Assistent-Second-Prime...

We've established why the classic covers arent used for the new episodes. So what if, instead of new covers, the classic covers were updated?

Instead of the classic roundels, how about the new roundels, the new logo instead of the classic logo. With the rectangular box at the bottom for images. A complete new cover as an evolution of the classic covers? What do people think to that?

DASP, I challenge you to make one as an example!

February 26th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Ok, I have an idea, this is also a challenge for Deputy-Assistent-Second-Prime...

We've established why the classic covers arent used for the new episodes. So what if, instead of new covers, the classic covers were updated?

Instead of the classic roundels, how about the new roundels, the new logo instead of the classic logo. With the rectangular box at the bottom for images. A complete new cover as an evolution of the classic covers? What do people think to that?

DASP, I challenge you to make one as an example!Egad!

And I say "Egad" mainly because I know the language filter won't allow me to type "oh, ****".

I'm not sure what you are asking for. I know you want a new series version of the classic Region 2 cover.

Do you want a sample of a classic story? It wouldn't quite make sense to me.

Or do you want a sample of a new series story? If so, then how do I approach the fact multiple stories are on each disc? Do I create a single cover for each episode? Or do I create a cover for disc 1... containing Rose, The End of the World, and The Unquiet Dead?

Metarock Sam
February 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I think Bennet wants the latter.

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM
You're right with the last idea. New episodes, new version of the classic cover.

I think it would have to be for each volume, as opposed for each episode. I think something in the style of the Beginning Boxset covers, where it's not exactly just a picture of the episode, but it's not a collage of images...

If I was designing the Volume 2 picture, I'd get a shot of the Doctor running with all the soldiers running behind him towards the lab in Aliens of london... but thats just me.

Metarock Sam
February 26th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Small problem their. The episodes on their own are too short for just one per DVD.

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 01:25 PM
No I said, each volume, not each episode, so the same disk format as is currently available.

creed462
February 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Season release for new seris is fine

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Season release for new seris is fine
*blink*

Huh?

creed462
February 26th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Releasing the whole season as a pack is fine. more to watch

Metarock Sam
February 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
No I said, each volume, not each episode, so the same disk format as is currently available.
Sorry :( my mistake.

creed462
February 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM
They could aways pack it thin and make the slip look like the classic seris

Scaramouche
February 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM
imo, i love the new series, the only thing that i'm dissapointed with is that the doctors face doesn't show up in the opening credits. :( as a kid that used to be one of my fave parts, bare in mind that i was about 2 or 3. with the new series i like the way that they don't go overboard with the graphics, and making everything look too real, because doctor who has never been about making things look too realistic. In the final episode of the first series, is it true that the Emperor Dalek is Davros or did i just dream it?
i also really like the new revamped logo for doctor who, especially the DVD box set shaped like the TARDIS. its really cool. in the christmas invasion did anyone else notice how the doctor was fighting, what happened to the doctor being against phsical violence? i thought tht was why Jack was brought into the show.

Metarock Sam
February 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Hi Scaramouche and welcome to the forum.
Do you call the first series of new Who the first series or the original series the first series?
Anyway The last story of the original series was a really bad story called Survival all to do with cat people and stuff however Davros was the Emporor Dalek in Rememberance of the Daleks (the last original series Dalek story in which Daleks floated up stairs for the first time) that was until his ship and Skaro were both destroyed by the hand of Omega. However Davros did reappear in a big finish adventure (the name of which escapes me).

Hope that helps !!!

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
In the UK the new series was released in a boxset and indiviudally with volumes 1 to 4. As seen below:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00095L9E2.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I was suggesting a hypothetical adaptation of the classic who covers into a new style for the volumes. That's all.

Metarock Sam, don't worry, we all make mistakes. ;)

Scaramouche, hello there!

In answer to your questions, there is no mention of Davros in series one of the new series. The doctor IS against violence, but there have been times when he would fight. I don't think he's got a problem with ceremonial violence, and in the end he didn't want to kill.

February 26th, 2006, 03:10 PM
You're right with the last idea. New episodes, new version of the classic cover.

I think it would have to be for each volume, as opposed for each episode. I think something in the style of the Beginning Boxset covers, where it's not exactly just a picture of the episode, but it's not a collage of images...

If I was designing the Volume 2 picture, I'd get a shot of the Doctor running with all the soldiers running behind him towards the lab in Aliens of london... but thats just me.Gotcha.
Recreate the new TARDIS roundels.
Recreate the new logo.
Recreate the typeset and symbols of the Region 2 DVD covers.
Select or generate an image which symbolizes a specific volume of stories from the new series.

Sounds like a real pain in the butt, but let me give it a shot.
I'll periodically return to whine about all the difficulties. ;)

Flyboy
February 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Gotcha.
Recreate the new TARDIS roundels.
Recreate the new logo.
Recreate the typeset and symbols of the Region 2 DVD covers.
Select or generate an image which symbolizes a specific volume of stories from the new series.

Sounds like a real pain in the butt, but let me give it a shot.
I'll periodically return to whine about all the difficulties. ;)
Heh

Well, given your DVD cover design skills, I thought you could use a challenge. ;)

(Not fogetting the bar at the bottom with the current Doctor on it)

creed462
February 27th, 2006, 10:21 AM
are they showing the new doctor's face in the promo

RavenaS
February 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
In answer to the OP questions: busy, nothing, hyperspace. Oh sorry, wrong OP. ;)

Ok, no here we go.

Absolutely not! The Classic show, which I love like my old teddy bear, was made as a children's afternoon tea time serial. Much like the adventures of the Lone Ranger or Superman, it's style was fashionable when today's grandparents were kids. The fact that so many of us contemporary adults cherish the series is because we are reliving a slice of childhood everytime we watch. But that's just not fit for today's primetime mainstream family audience.

Stories move far too slowly in serial form and situations and jokes become hackneyed. But fortunately, even in an hour long single episode season arc, we get the right mix of strange world, witty humor and character depth. It's very Buffyesque in style, much like what we see in genre TV today.

I'm American so the UK covers never interested me. As for individual blocks of releases, I bought the vanillas last year. The covers were dazzling but they take up 2x-3x the size on my shelf. The R1 boxset is small and distinctive. Price is a bit much, but keep in mind all TV shows are being sold in season boxsets today. It's a method that has been shown to work in the market. People want the entire season, not a story here and there. I believe that's the biggest complaint about the Classic Who releases. Beyond the Key To Time there is no complete season available. It's all a hodge podge.

I wasn't a fan of the new logo on first reveal. Bit too alien for my taste. But after seeing the TARDIS interior, it seems to fit much better.

The trouble with that TVM style logo is it looks and feels like Superman. And that reminds you of the old Classic kids serial style of the show. Feels out of date before you even watch a thing.

creed462
February 28th, 2006, 12:27 PM
You Know its kind of neat have it look like a tardis

Easter Lily
March 1st, 2006, 02:15 PM
I would love to get the new series but for the price... the Tardis boxset is pretty nifty though.
Speaking of the Tardis, if I haven't said it already... I don't like the new interior to be quite frank but I can live with it. It's too organic and drab for my liking.

creed462
March 1st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Haven't got a look at the new interior, but did like the older better.

Metarock Sam
March 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM
Im hpoing that the Tardis inerior should change for the new Doctor since even though the organic set is quite cool it doesnt have the same feel as the classic series contril room. Saying that id hate it if they went back to the control room used in the movie. I think its one thing saying its bigger on the inside than the outside but they some times wax it out of proportion buy it being Gigantic. Saying that though I can live with the new series interior Im just more used to the old control rooms.

creed462
March 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM
I'm pertty use to the classic control room myself, I was taken off by the new one in the movie

Nuallain
March 2nd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Well so far, in the new series we've seen the console room:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/characters/tardis/tour.shtml

and the wardrobe room:

http://gallery.chaotic-creative.com/v/doctorwho/doctor10/tci2005/tci1154.jpg.html

I quite like the new look, actually.

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
Wow, usally the clothes for the Doc were just lying around

Flyboy
March 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Personally I like the new TARDIS. I actually view it as what the TARDIS always looked like it its natural form. My hypothesis is, that just as the outside can change, so can the inside due to chameleon circuits. The TARDIS can change its interior to match its owners preferences. The 7th Doctor obviously went a little gothic in his old age...

CE's doctor, the one walking around the universe in a "don't touch me" leather jacket, who doesn't want a companion at first, and is scarred by the time war and the loss of his people, really couldnt give a damn about silly little things like the aesthetics of the inside of his tardis, and so for him, the TARDIS apears in its natural form, instead of changing itself to replicate Gallifreyan computer and lab systems or representative of Doctor 7 & 8's favourite planets architecture and HG Wells stlye technology.

March 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Personally I like the new TARDIS. I actually view it as what the TARDIS always looked like it its natural form. My hypothesis is, that just as the outside can change, so can the inside due to chameleon circuits. The TARDIS can change its interior to match its owners preferences. The 7th Doctor obviously went a little gothic in his old age... The Chameleon Circuit only controls the exterior.
The Architectural Configuration System controls the interior.

CE's doctor, the one walking around the universe in a "don't touch me" leather jacketJust as Colin Baker wore a "stop ignoring me" outfit. :D

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 11:54 AM
I've alway suspected that the Tardis cause a person to see the world in a way they can comprehen. Think about how during the 1st doctor the future looked so archic, and the seventh so adavance in comparison.

I know it was special effects of the time, I just trying to give an in show explination

Flyboy
March 2nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
The Chameleon Circuit only controls the exterior.
The Architectural Configuration System controls the interior.

Just as Colin Baker wore a "stop ignoring me" outfit. :D
I stand corrected. :)

Do you think the idea has merit though?

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yes

March 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM
I stand corrected. :)

Do you think the idea has merit though?To be honest, I'm largely confused by the subject of what the default TARDIS interior is supposed to look like.

We've seen the console room change in dimensions and layout, yet keep the general design of white walls and roundels. We've seen the Monk, Master, and Rani had similar architecture in their TARDIS although colored differently.

We've seen the white console get updated three times.

We've seen the "secondary console room" which might have actually been the "original" and which served as the inspiration for the 1996 console room.

RTD made comments that suggested this organic quality was indicative of the TARDIS being a living being and that the messy look of the console was the result of centuries of jury-rigging systems. Both seem to run counter to what was established in the original series and is the basis for my dislike. The Eighth and Ninth Doctors had very different console rooms and there wasn't centuries between...maybe a century at most...more likely 50 years, judging by the novels and comments made in the new series.

Also, on a personal note, let me say that it's damn hard to photomanipulate or draw the new TARDIS walls for that DVD cover because of all the arcs, lighting, and texturing. Instead, I'm creating the roundels from a fictional corridor wall in my own mind, which looks just like the walls of the new console room, except they are straight, not all bendy.

March 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
For the DVD cover, I think I got the texture of the wall itself licked, and I got the basic design for prototype of a roundel done.

I'm thinking these roundels are going to require some hours of airbrush work in Photoshop to get them anywhere close to photorealistic. Right now, it looks terrible in flats (meaning "flat colors").

I have selected the logos & images, and integrated them into the cover.

The only thing missing, besides the TARDIS background, is the lettering on the spine (half done) and back cover (not even started).

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
That sounds cool

Flyboy
March 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Wow, excellent. I'm very impressed :D

March 6th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Wow, excellent. I'm very impressed :DYeah, well, you may have spoken too soon.

I'm not sure I like how it turned out.

In any case, I posted it on my Custom DVD Cover thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23930), along with comments about how hellacious this project was.

creed462
March 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I heard for the TV movie they tried to make the interior like the orignal intent

March 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, well, you may have spoken too soon.

I'm not sure I like how it turned out.

In any case, I posted it on my Custom DVD Cover thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23930), along with comments about how hellacious this project was.Okay, I made some serious changes. Now the DVD cover looks awesome.

I kept the old one up there for comparison.

Click here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=23930) to go back to the Custom DVD Cover thread and take a look.

Ancient 1
March 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I think I posted this on another thread, or something just like it:
I for one am glad for the seeming change. I wouldn't be watching Battlestar Galactica if it had stayed true to the original format. I don't think many would...:o From what I"ve seen this "WHO" has a chance of holding my attention. The original didn't do that, back in the day....:(

creed462
March 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I loved the old seris, but I do hope the new in good

Metarock Sam
March 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
You shouldnt worry Creed. The new series is fantastic. Particuarly the fantastic 2 Parter 'The empty child' goes right back to its roots.

March 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I loved the old series, but I do hope the new in goodI think it's damn good.
I had doubts with the first episode (somewhat campy), but from episode two and on, it was really good.
IMO, both classic and new series Doctor Who rank above most television.
The new series has a lot of depth. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it.
I haven't heard of any old series fans who don't like the new series. That's rare for a relaunch.

Metarock Sam
March 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
My Dads problem at the moment's only problem with the show is the fact that Chirs left after only one series. Apart from that he beleives the new series is brilliant.

March 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM
My Dads problem at the moment's only problem with the show is the fact that Chirs left after only one series. Apart from that he beleives the new series is brilliant.Don't get me wrong. There's many choices I disagree with for the new series.
I still like it. I think many old Doctor Who fans have learned to accept change.
If you get hung up on change, you're just not going to enjoy the series.

creed462
March 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I can't wait just over a break

Craig Ranapia
March 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM

First, the short answer: No, No, No.

I'll confess, I was one of those Old School Whovians who was just praying for Russell T. Davies, Christopher Eccleston and Billie fracking Piper fall on their arses. (And I must admit that I made one post to a Who-related discussion group immediately following the casting of Billie Piper that I'm ashamed of. "Retarded expletive omitted blonde pop-tart who makes Britney Spears look like expletive Stephen Hawking" was the nice bit...) But RTD was intensely aware that old fans like me weren't going to make what promised to be a very high profile, big budget Saturday primetime (traditionally a 'family' time slot) show a success. He also had to appeal to millions of viewers who weren't alive when Who was (effectively) cancelled in 1989, let alone the show's heyday in the in the 70's.

IMO, the new series has done a good job of retaining the essence of what I loved about Dr. Who without slavish adherence to the window dressing.

creed462
March 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
8 more days

Then I will find if all I read is ture, but I'll get to see an ep this week end, of the classic seris

March 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM
8 more days

Then I will find if all I read is ture, but I'll get to see an ep this week end, of the classic serisWhich one?

Easter Lily
March 9th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I think it is... mainly because of Chris Eccleston... I liked him straightaway. I'm not very keen on the Autons but I still enjoyed the first episode.
But I think the new series has a kind of frenetic energy which I really relish.
Billie Piper surprised me because early on I heard that she was something of a teeny bopper pop star so I was a little skeptical but she's proven herself.

Love The Empty Child and the Doctor Dances...

creed462
March 10th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Which one?
Resurection of the Darleks

Metarock Sam
March 10th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Resurection of the Darleks
Yay Resuurection of the Daleks. When Daleks become toothpaste !!!!

March 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Resurection of the DarleksCool.

creed462
March 10th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yep probally get to see it tomorrow

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett:
No. Since the nearly every incarnation of the Doctor changed the logo to a slight degree, I don't think it matters. When I was expecting to see the Tom Baker era (triangulated "Doctor") logo, I ended up buying books (sold in the USA) with the Peter Davidson logo (rectangular boxed and scripted "Doctor") variation instead. And the logos weren't always in blue. My family has 3 different collector's books with 3 different colored titles, format is the same but the colors are unique to each book cover.

1) Should the new eps have kept the old style of continuing episodes?No, not necessarily. In the USA, unless something is shown on PBS in most cases, we get programming with commercial interruptions, which in themselves are annoying. So, to contrast and compare the old with the new, it also depends on how long a story created actually lasts. Tho it never bothered me (personally), some viewers nowadays simply don't like the serialized format, regardless. Continuing arch's per each ep are always under criticism anyway...

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennet:
dont get me wrong. There are aspects of the new series that i LOVE, i LOVED the TARDIS head on attack on the Dalek mother ship, and I love the military portrayal. But the eps sometimes seem a little rushed to me... and far too... glossy.
Now Dr Who has gone on to be like the later seasons of SG1 and is focusing on constant action and such and less on the wonders of whats out there. This is reflected in the opening sequence, the theme, the logo, and the filming style.
Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime:
It's a matter of taste. I prefer the more leisurely pace of the classic series. It gave me a chance to soak it all up. IMO, the new series does rush around, because the newer fans are less patient.yep, that classic current day ADD - "attention deficit syndrome". :p
I'd be personally amazed to see any of those same people sit thru and actually *enjoy* the slowness and obvious cardboard looking sets of especially the first 2 doctor eras. Could those same people enjoy eps done today, if paced at the same slowness? Considering many of the comments in the SG and BSG forums about the speed of the pacing in each program series, I have my doubts. :(

In every DOCTOR WHO critique I've read over the years, the most basic problem was being able to "keep up with the times" (pun not intended). The BBC wasn't satisfied on many occasions, and that's why the show morphed (Time Lord of the moment was forced to morph with the BBC's times) as much as it has over its 30 years, plus, of existence.

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 01:34 PM
more - continued from previous post...

Originally posted by creed462:
They did keep the Tardis a blue police boxRose: "what's a police (call) box?"
Actually, I think during the Colin Baker era, England's police boxes were put out of commission and thus *literally* being removed out of existence (they were physically torn down for modernization of the Police-call in systems). This situation became a special problem for the series in how to creatively keep the TARDIS in *stuck* (police box) mode, and have the stories still make sense. Personally, I think TPTB have done a great job overcoming the challenge in both storyline and keeping it in sync with some semblance of reality. From what I've been told, kids today don't know what a "blue police box" is, unless they go to a museum. ;)

There was a story where the transition between the old and new police units were dealt with and a uniformed police officer found the old blue box "in use" and thought it was a mistake. He was right. It was a mistake! It was a TARDIS... although I don't remember if it was another Time Lord playing games, or the Doctor's, and if it morphed over a real Police Box - in the middle of nowhere.It was definitely an inside joke about overcoming the challenging situation of the disappearing and *antiquated* Police-call Boxes... :D

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 01:39 PM
(if I may... one more - this one's sort of important)
continued from previous post...

Originally posted by Easter Lily:
Speaking of the Tardis, if I haven't said it already... I don't like the new interior to be quite frank but I can live with it. It's too organic and drab for my liking.oooooO! thank you! thought my hubby and I were the only ones... :)
My gripe is: it's too dark and ugly-ish. Floor is half interesting, but the pillar columns and things dangling around the TARDIS control console, just look too much like an ancient H.G. Wells time machine. Maybe that's the point. With the Doctor doing all the weird pumping and priming of the TARDIS systems, it is just like the old H.G. Wells version. BTW, the TARDIS is sort of sentient... with the Doctor, so maybe that's also why there's an organic appearance. My hubby was thinking the pillars reminded him of Moya's wall shape design from Farscape.

Although the only good thing I personally liked on the new DrWHO set is being able to *finally* see the "Police Call Box" lettering words on the inside over the TARDIS doors. I used to strain my eyes trying to see that on the old white-washed sets. Loved the old center control consoles better (primarily the center up and down thing), especially the more modern it got over time... ;)

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennet:
Personally I like the new TARDIS. I actually view it as what the TARDIS always looked like it its natural form.
CE's doctor, ... is scarred by the time war and the loss of his people, really couldnt give a damn about silly little things like the aesthetics of the inside of his tardis, and so for him, the TARDIS apears in its natural form...that's what I thought, but still think it's rather uglyish if that is its natural form...

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime:
I think many old Doctor Who fans have learned to accept change.
If you get hung up on change, you're just not going to enjoy the series.Yep. Every time I read the SG and other programming forums, I think of that very statement. Lots of people don't want change Examples:
* bring JACK O'Neill BACK!!
* Sam can't leave - she doesn't belong in the Pegasus system, and neither does any of the SG-1 team...! and SGA doesn't belong at the SGC!
Oy! :p

If genuine *Whovians* felt that way about "the Doctor", they'd be long gone from viewing any of the entire series, and in a sense aren't a true Whovian. I think DOCTOR WHO has helped transform my viewing of any show that has to adapt to new ideas, characters, and directions for whatever the reasons. Stargate included.

Sure I might be disenchanted at first, but had I not adapted after seeing Tom Baker's Doctor first and traveled backward to the original doctors and beyond, I'd never understand the evolution or need for it for the entire series and concepts as a whole. It was a novel idea when it was initially set into motion, and still is a *novel* concept. ;)

hope that makes sense... :eek: :)

Originally posted by Easter Lily:
I think it is... mainly because of Chris Eccleston... I liked him straightaway. I'm not very keen on the Autons but I still enjoyed the first episode.Before I saw the first 2 Dr.# 9 eps, I had my reservations because Chris isn't very handsome (but neither were a few others). I wasn't sure if Chris could pull off the magic of the other doctors. But he did. Must be that wonderful British humor. It's just a shame that he only stayed one short-lived season. Two (or 3-?) more doctors to go after #10 leaves.

I think the BBC really wants to kill off the series (they've tried how many times in the past???), and destroying the doctor's homeworld (making him also darker in persona), is one potential sure way to do this. Sad to say. :(
Unless of course, the Doctor can pull off another *MASTER* routine and gain an extra 12 regenerations of (actor) lives. :D

creed462
March 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I Don't think they are tring to kill it this time, It is doing well, the docrtor also has always had somewhat of a dark persona

Metarock Sam
March 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ahh but Chris certainly lets loose the Doctors dark side particularly in Episode 6. Such quotes as
The Doctor : Why Dont you just Die !!!!

creed462
March 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM
is that the one about the Darlek?

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 04:06 PM
"Darlek" reminds me of speaking this as a combination of
Darling Dalek into one word: Darlek :D

Originally posted by SGalisa:
I wasn't sure if Chris could pull off the magic of the other doctors. But he did. Must be that wonderful British humor.meant to say that wonderful British high camp... love the campy humor... the older Dr.WHO eps definitely thrived on it. ;)

...humor... something Stargate has incorporated into some of its routine(s) as well. It helps when things get too dark, and it's quite natural (well, maybe not the plastic hand attacking the Doctor per say, but... one would have to see it to understand or appreciate it when such things do happen). :D
:)

creed462
March 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I think the new who did the humor well

SGalisa
March 19th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I Don't think they are tring to kill it this time, It is doing well...Yes, key words "this time" (translates to *now*) - "it is doing well". (USA) Americans have been so Doctor starved, for many years. When NJ's PBS network ran the entire DrWHO series, with NJN documentary specials, the series thrived in the (USA) states. When the BBC announced the end of Sylvester McCoy's doctor era, people lost hope and turned their interests to other directions.

my motto over time has become, never underestimate the BBC or Sci-Fi for that matter. I've become cynical because of past reports, and don't trust rumors, especially when they've come true.

When the series reaches the 12th incarnation of the Doctor, then we'll get a better idea of what direction the BBC will be or would like to be going in. Currently, it's too early to say. If the series stays strong (and well received) in the USA, hopefully, it'll keep going and going and going... ;)

Basically, all I need to do is read the SG forum topics and get an idea of how something might last or not, and take a wild guess based on various discussions. Maybe the magic of the previous Doctors will revive a new interest in the current generation of viewers, who have never seen the earlier eps. My hubby is hoping Sci-Fi will relent and *show* the former Doctors - in all their set design clumsiness and classical early effects... to provide a bit of nostalgic history there... ;)
One can always hope for the best...

If I ever believed in evolution, it was the evolution of how the Doctor Who series has transformed from episode 1 to its current Doctor era format. :)

creed462
March 21st, 2006, 08:08 AM
After what I saw friday I think the show is well on its way

SGalisa
March 22nd, 2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by SGalisa:
No, not necessarily...

okay, I might relent over that and take it back... :D
I took some time to watch "The Two Doctors" (a *favorite* ep all around - music, visuals, design styling, humor, etc.) and compared it with the premiere Dr. # 9 eps. Normally, based on the conditioning of how most programs air here in the USA, I'd say it might not matter of old vs. new formats.

However, after seeing the "Two Doctors" ep, it reminded me of how much I enjoyed that special synthesizer sound at the end of each episode that leads directly into the end credits and music theme. I didn't hear it in Dr.# 9's "The End of the World" episode, and don't remember if it was done for the end of "Rose" either.

But it kind of became a trademark of those older (classic DrWHO) eps, where at the very ending of the episode (often being a cliffhanger) - I think it was a synthesizer that made a sound (too difficult to properly describe) as if it was pulling the viewer into the space/time continuim vortex, which was reinforced with a visual vortex / wormhole-like effects during the end credits/theme song.

Even if the current eps themselves aren't formatted into a serial format, it'd be nice to hear that vortex noise the way it always was. It sort of acted as an enhanced *punch-line* to the series, as well. If it ever does get reincorporated back into the series at all (I've only seen 2 eps so far, so I don't know if it's there yet), it should be included at least in the two-parters (and any "To Be Continued" stories). ;)

SGalisa
April 2nd, 2006, 04:21 AM
...after seeing the "Two Doctors" ep, it reminded me of how much I enjoyed that special synthesizer sound at the end of each episode that leads directly into the end credits and music theme. I didn't hear it in Dr.# 9's "The End of the World" episode, and don't remember if it was done for the end of "Rose" either.

But it kind of became a trademark of those older (classic DrWHO) eps, where at the very ending of the episode (often being a cliffhanger) - I think it was a synthesizer that made a sound (too difficult to properly describe) as if it was pulling the viewer into the space/time continuim vortex, which was reinforced with a visual vortex / wormhole-like effects during the end credits/theme song.

Even if the current eps themselves aren't formatted into a serial format, it'd be nice to hear that vortex noise the way it always was. It sort of acted as an enhanced *punch-line* to the series, as well. If it ever does get reincorporated back into the series at all (I've only seen 2 eps so far, so I don't know if it's there yet), it should be included at least in the two-parters (and any "To Be Continued" stories). ;)got my answer: it *is* at the end of Aliens of London.
many *thank you's* to TPTB for keeping it!! :)

Metarock Sam
April 2nd, 2006, 08:01 AM
It was never gone. Hey in the Us do they have the prewiews for the next ep at the end of the episode ??

April 2nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
It was never gone. Hey in the Us do they have the prewiews for the next ep at the end of the episode ??Yes, but not quite the same way as they were aired in the U.K..

First, they skip the preview and cut directly to the credits.
Then after a few seconds, the credits get squished to the left.
And two windows open to the right.
The top window shows the Sci-Fi Channel's version of the preview.
The bottom window shows the schedule for that night.

Metarock Sam
April 2nd, 2006, 10:55 AM
That officially sucks. The BBC version is much better plus it ties in with he theme tune too.

creed462
April 2nd, 2006, 11:00 AM
The new seris kind of feels like one big serial

Metarock Sam
April 2nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Well its basically lots of serieals. If you cut down one ep which in the UK is 45 mins but in the states 60. by half you get about 23mins per ep uk and 30 per US

Now lets split it up into the following:

Rose - two eps old style one ep new
The End of the world-two eps old style one ep new
The Unquiet Dead-two eps old style one ep new
Aliens of London/World War Three-four eps old style two ep new
Dalek- two eps old style one ep new
The Long Game-two eps old style one ep new
Fathers Day-two eps old style one ep new
The Unempty Child/ The Doctor Dances- four eps old style two ep new
Boom Town-two eps old style one ep new
Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways=four eps old style two ep new

So basically if it was all done in the old style it would feel like 10 serials rather than one big one. But RTD and co wont do it this way and the US wouldnt let them do it this way either because it makes the episodes longer and drawn out plus in the old series sometimes you would have some great cliffhangers which were solved very simply in the next episode. Making people loose a little interest.

April 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM
That officially sucks. The BBC version is much better plus it ties in with he theme tune too.The BBC previews and advertisements for the show were much better too.

Hopefully, they'll include them in the Region 1 version.

creed462
April 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yes that will be cool, I mean the current one spoiled the cleffhanger :\

pizzadude
May 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I'd like to see a return to one of the two (that I know of) original series control rooms for an episode or two(there is more than one control room in the TARDIS). Also would like to see more beyond the control room in the TARDIS (like the original series).

Admiral Mappalazarou
May 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I dunno, I've seen bits of the classic series on UK TV Gold and I prefer the new ones. The new series is made for all, children included, for a wider audience and I think it's good how it is.

Madeleine
May 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
A couple of years ago I'm pretty sure I lamented the lack of four-episode three-cliffhanger stories. I've changed my mind, I'm used to the one-or-maybe-two eps-per-story format and I think it makes for a better show. To be honest, the old Who, much as I loved it, did have an awful lot of padding.

The two-parters in the past threee years have usually been superior though. Ideally, we'd have the same number of stories, but a few more two parters - that way we could have a longer series. :D

May 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
A couple of years ago I'm pretty sure I lamented the lack of four-episode three-cliffhanger stories. I've changed my mind, I'm used to the one-or-maybe-two eps-per-story format and I think it makes for a better show. To be honest, the old Who, much as I loved it, did have an awful lot of padding.

The two-parters in the past threee years have usually been superior though. Ideally, we'd have the same number of stories, but a few more two parters - that way we could have a longer series. :DWhenever I wish for more episodes, it always ends up as a daily series that runs all year round in high definition 3-D.

Hey, if you're going to wish, you might as well be completely unreasonable about it.

Madeleine
May 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Well in that case I'd like David Tennant to come round my house and discuss the ep with me after I watch it. :D

Pitry
May 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
No, no, come over to your house before the episode airs and watch it with you, then discuss it! ;)

May 20th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well in that case I'd like David Tennant to come round my house and discuss the ep with me after I watch it. :D

No, no, come over to your house before the episode airs and watch it with you, then discuss it! ;)

Now, that's the spirit! :D