All-time fave fanfic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-time fave fanfic

Oh Lordy, it’s the very first poll I have ever started so hope someone else joins in.

The current dearth of really good long-fic just had me wondering what everyone’s top five fanfics are… I’ll kick off [and I should warn you all that I’m a S/J shipper with a healthy respect for a good dose of whump…] and it would be great to see what everyone else recommends across the various fan bases…

I always think my faves are the best episodes never filmed and for me it’s the fanfics I’ve read over the last few years that have made the characters truly three-dimensional as it investigates those areas where the PTB fear to tread. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those fantastic, dedicated fanfic writers ut there who provide us with such wonderful stories for free while studying, holding down jobs and raising families. I certainly couldn’t do it!

1 For God and Country, by Doc… Whumptastic stuff with a dose of strictly canon ship thrown in to the mix and some key moments from Teal’c, whom a lot of fanfics ignore. I defy anyone not to sit up all night finishing this once they start reading it.
    2 Crossing the Line series, by Sally Reeve… So beautifully written! Fantastic to see Sally is earning some well-deserved bucks now as a ‘proper’ writer…
    3 The Cost of Living, by Doc… Because Sabine Bauer really is one of the top two SG-1 fanfic writers on the planet! What an epic this one is, with lots of ‘screentime’ for Daniel and Teal’c too. And Doc is one of the best Sam writers, too: the tough, capable Sam we all miss…
    4 Go Towards the Light, by Ruralstar… Introspection is the focus of Rural’s writing and there are some great insights into how the good colonel feels and fears in this epic.
    5 A Place Called Home, by Sharim… This AU fic takes The torment of Tantalus as its starting point, and supposes that O’Neill, Carter, Teal’c, Catherine and Ernest never made it home. Fantastic insight into the relationships between these characters as they cope with being stranded and find each other in the process.
    6 The Andromeda Series, by Alli Snow… A really exciting adventure and a clever look at the Stargate program and the characters we all know and love by an outsider.
    7 What Lies Beneath, by Vanessa Nichols [Nessie]… One of the great things about fanfic is the way the best writers pick up on things that are skated over in the show. This fic picks up where Beneath the Surface ends – and we all knew the trauma ran a heck of a lot deeper than the show let on, didn’t we?!
    8 Thine Own Self, by Sally Reeve and Gunfodder… Sally writes the ship in an incredibly touching way… this one makes me go all teary. Gunfodder was one of the early SG-1 fanfic greats: what a shame she didn’t do more stories!
    9 Seven Days, by Dietcokechic… Adventure, whump, UST, rivers of blood, Jacob Carter: something for everyone!
    10 When Tomorrow Comes, by Dustdevil… Wow! This story is huge! One of those fics when you can ‘see’ the movie version in your head as you read.

Well I feel better now I’ve got all that out of my system!

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

WWW.SUPERNANNY.US.COM. Log on. Or it’s the naughty chair for you.

I'm just popping by so that I can add this thread to my subscriptions. I'll be back with some fic recs soon, I promise.
    sigpic
    Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Can you post links? I tried to find Seven Days here on Gateworld and although there was plenty of dietcokechic, that story was not one of them.

Comment

There are sooooo many wonderful stories out there!!! Here are 10 favorites in no particular order!!!

What Will It Take by SG1-Fanfic

Missing Something by Annunaki -Mature

Twilight by Gail Delaney

Dancing on the Volcano by Toulouse

The Road to Minnesota by Ted Sadler

Unhappy Ever After by Suz

Future Imperfect by Sally Reeve

Trigger by Aeryn- PG13

A Matter of Tact by random leaves

The Dating Game by Azilan
        sigpic

Comment

Twilight is good. http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch.../twilight.html
          So is Night Terrors http://uk.geocities.com/mystories_uk/nightterrors2.html

Comment

For right now, BetaCandy is my favorite Stargate Fanfic writer. I'm a Daniel fan, maybe that's why I love this story so much.

http://sg1.thehathorlegacy.info/8-ei...what-you-want/

Tag to Moebius. Explores what happens to the team that got stranded in the past.

I know this thread asks for a list.. but I will have to think up more later..

Oh, and I second Night Terrors.

Comment

I really like the Barista - series by DietCokeChick (on Jackfic.com) Don't have the link.

This is a good one as well - Three Steps Behind Have some tissues ready. Jack - whumping.

This one is different. Ghost in the Graveyard Mac / Jack
              Wondering what's happening? Updates for Everything
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nyxlily
                For right now, BetaCandy is my favorite Stargate Fanfic writer. I'm a Daniel fan, maybe that's why I love this story so much.

http://sg1.thehathorlegacy.info/8-ei...what-you-want/

Tag to Moebius. Explores what happens to the team that got stranded in the past.

I know this thread asks for a list.. but I will have to think up more later..

Oh, and I second Night Terrors.

I’m not a Daniel fan per se but I just read this and the sequel and thoroughly enjoyed them both – thanks for the rec!

And yep, Night Terrors is way up there with the best but if I put any more of Sally’s fics on the list you’d probably all think I was her!

DON’T YOU SMILE AT ME LIKE THAT! THAT’S NOT EVEN A REAL SMILE! IT’S JUST A BUNCH OF TEETH PLAYING WITH MY MIND! Sig courtesy of AmberMoon… kneel before your God!

Comment

Dietcokechic’s fanfic, including the Barista series, can be found at

http://www.dietcokechic.com/stargate/

Check out her biog too: she’s had a really fascinating life!

Comment

One of my favorite fics is called Nine Lives. Sam gets turned into a cat.

Now I know what you're thinking because I thought it too. A cat??? How cheesy. But I was dared to read it and I was hooked. Well written, the character voices were spot on and it was both funny and moving.

So I'll dare you too...set aside that kneejerk reaction and take a chance. I think you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I am.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1918909/1/

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Although it's already been said - definitely Night Terrors by Sally Reeve. And I'll second UberSG-1Fan's recommendation of Nine Lives. That was one of the first fics I kept to read again.

I'll be back with more, no doubt.
                      sigpic
                      Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Katkin
                        Oh Lordy, it’s the very first poll I have ever started so hope someone else joins in.

The current dearth of really good long-fic just had me wondering what everyone’s top five fanfics are… I’ll kick off [and I should warn you all that I’m a S/J shipper with a healthy respect for a good dose of whump…] and it would be great to see what everyone else recommends across the various fan bases…

I always think my faves are the best episodes never filmed and for me it’s the fanfics I’ve read over the last few years that have made the characters truly three-dimensional as it investigates those areas where the PTB fear to tread. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those fantastic, dedicated fanfic writers ut there who provide us with such wonderful stories for free while studying, holding down jobs and raising families. I certainly couldn’t do it!

1 For God and Country, by Doc… Whumptastic stuff with a dose of strictly canon ship thrown in to the mix and some key moments from Teal’c, whom a lot of fanfics ignore. I defy anyone not to sit up all night finishing this once they start reading it.
                        2 Crossing the Line series, by Sally Reeve… So beautifully written! Fantastic to see Sally is earning some well-deserved bucks now as a ‘proper’ writer…
                        3 The Cost of Living, by Doc… Because Sabine Bauer really is one of the top two SG-1 fanfic writers on the planet! What an epic this one is, with lots of ‘screentime’ for Daniel and Teal’c too. And Doc is one of the best Sam writers, too: the tough, capable Sam we all miss…
                        4 Go Towards the Light, by Ruralstar… Introspection is the focus of Rural’s writing and there are some great insights into how the good colonel feels and fears in this epic.
                        5 A Place Called Home, by Sharim… This AU fic takes The torment of Tantalus as its starting point, and supposes that O’Neill, Carter, Teal’c, Catherine and Ernest never made it home. Fantastic insight into the relationships between these characters as they cope with being stranded and find each other in the process.
                        6 The Andromeda Series, by Alli Snow… A really exciting adventure and a clever look at the Stargate program and the characters we all know and love by an outsider.
                        7 What Lies Beneath, by Vanessa Nichols [Nessie]… One of the great things about fanfic is the way the best writers pick up on things that are skated over in the show. This fic picks up where Beneath the Surface ends – and we all knew the trauma ran a heck of a lot deeper than the show let on, didn’t we?!
                        8 Thine Own Self, by Sally Reeve and Gunfodder… Sally writes the ship in an incredibly touching way… this one makes me go all teary. Gunfodder was one of the early SG-1 fanfic greats: what a shame she didn’t do more stories!
                        9 Seven Days, by Dietcokechic… Adventure, whump, UST, rivers of blood, Jacob Carter: something for everyone!
                        10 When Tomorrow Comes, by Dustdevil… Wow! This story is huge! One of those fics when you can ‘see’ the movie version in your head as you read.

Well I feel better now I’ve got all that out of my system!

I saw that you reccommended 'Go Towards The Light' well i read it and loved it, BUT!!! have you seen the video made for it?!

go to www.snyart.com/

she made an amazing music vid for it. i love it!!!!!
                        Edward ~ "And so the Lion fell in love with the Lamb."
                        Bella ~ "What a stupid Lamb."
                        Edward ~ "What a sick, masochistic Lion."

Comment

one little warning for folks although i don't think this has come up yet. please put any appropriate warnings on the fic you're linking to

such as if it's an adult fic, make sure that folks know that so if it's not thier cup of tea they can give it a pass

same with a ship fic, please list the pairing for those that have preferences
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            one little warning for folks although i don't think this has come up yet. please put any appropriate warnings on the fic you're linking to

such as if it's an adult fic, make sure that folks know that so if it's not thier cup of tea they can give it a pass

same with a ship fic, please list the pairing for those that have preferences
                            Good point. I should have put warnings on my rec.

Warning: If you are put off by flea baths, hamsters named "Thor," catnip induced frenzies and the name Princess Snookums, this fic is not for you.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

There are so many talented fanfic writers, it's hard to mention as many as I should. But I'll make a beginning.

On Gateworld's Fanfic Forum:
                              CORRECTION ALERT!
                              BANSHEE (Teen) by SGCBearcub: Author's summary: "Everyone breaks, but pushed too far, some people push back." Serious Soldier!Sam, some Sam whump. Excellent story, plot, pacing. Few endings will effect you like this one; have tissues. LINK LOCATED: http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/40/banshee.html

THE CORNERS OF MY MIND (Teen) by Bastet: Author's summary: "Sometimes dangers to the mind are worse than dangers to the body. Sam needs help dealing with a harrowing ordeal." Whumped Sam and aftermath. Bastet has a knack for depicting psych trauma. The author tagged this as "shameless ship. Ship, ship ship. And more ship." Fine by me, and well done!
                              http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...ecorners.html:

MEMORIES (Teen) by Pam Rowden: Author's summary: "Sam faces a decision." Prompted by some not so nice government guys, that's putting it mildly! Nice, well rounded team fic.
                              http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch.../memories.html

OTHER EYES (Teen) also by Pam: a beautifully rendered POV by the other presence with Carter on the Prometheus, Grace. Memorable treatment, look this one up, quick!
                              http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...othereyes.html

COMFORT ZONE (Mature) by ShimmeringStar: Author's summary:Returning
                              from Edora and getting ready to go solo, a mission gone awry is just what Jack doesn't need." Really well done action story, characterizations, detail. Also nice backstory to another episode; fits right in there. Mainly Jack centered but team is nicely realized. Heed the M rating for some language and violent content in places.
                              http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/35/choices.html

Well, I can't post the links yet, but will edit this post and insert. LINKS INSERTED, where available.

Just sayin', hope everyone who reads fanfic takes time to send the authors a note; they so appreciate it.

ON EDIT: Sorry about the author mix-up for my top entry. :TE1
                              Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 25 February 2006, 04:57 AM. Reason: Needs correction
                              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                              sigpic
                              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Working...
                              X