This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male Companions

Ok Everyone! I have something new we can talk about that always kinda interested me. The Doctor is almost never without a female companion and usually a young one at that, but what about the guys that sometimes traveled with him? I personally wish they had a few more guys in the show. Most of them were pretty good companions and worked well with the Doctors.

I find it hard to choose a favorite since I like them all, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Steven. I wish I could see more of his stories.
    So who are your favorite guy companions and do you think we should have more?

Here's a list if you don't remember their names:

Ian Chesterton
    Steven Taylor
    Ben Jackson
    Jamie McCrimmon
    Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart(not strictly a companion but I'm including him anyway.)
    Harry Sullivan
    Adric
    Turlough
    Captain Jack Harkness

Have fun!
    "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Science fiction has always tended to attract young male viewers, so it makes sense that the Doctor had at least one young female companion most of the time: eye candy. Young women have not been a target demographic for sci-fi until recently. Aside from Captain Jack, the Doctor's male companions have not exactly been what I'd call eye candy.

The male companions I've seen have certainly contributed much, and I'd like to see more of them.
    I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Well I liked Harry when I was growing up I thought he and Tom Baker made a good double acted.

I also liked Adric.

I have to say Capt Jack Harkness is my favourite now, if Capt Jack does return to Dr Who I can't wait to see what the difference DT playing The Doctor will make to their interaction.

Comment

Out of that list my favourite companions would have to be Jamie and Captain Jack.
        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
          Well I liked Harry when I was growing up I thought he and Tom Baker made a good double acted.
          Harry is definately one of my favorites too. He had such a fun personality that worked really well with the 4th Doctor. I found it rather funny that the Doctor literally tricked him into the TARDIS. This is one of my favorite conversations of theirs:

"Harry..."
          "Yes, Doctor?"
          "Were you trying to take this off?" (indicates bomb.)
          "Yes, Doctor, I was."
          "Did you make the rocks fall, Harry?"
          "Um...yes, I suppose I must have done."
          "Hahaha...HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!"

That is so funny! From Revenge of the Cybermen
          "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Well, originally, the idea of the male companion was to provide the action man figure while the Doctor was the slightly senile brain of the situation. Which is why so many Ian/First Doctor exchanges went:

Doctor: We will fight you, horrible alien conquerer! You may have you big flying saucer but dare you face Earth's Champion in the ancient rights of one hand combat? Eh? Do you? Do you? Eh?

Alien: Very well. To the winner, the Earth!

Doctor: Very good. *taps Ian's shoulder* Off you go then.

Ian: Not agaaain!

Ian begat Steven who begat Ben who begat Jamie. And verily, the Second Doctor was what is known as 'a bit of a McKay' and while young, was very cowardly. But the third Doctor was an akido spinning killing machine and needed no bloke to hold his trousers up. The Fourth Doctor was originally expected to be a return to the Troughton style so Harry was created as an action man. But Tom Baker was physical enough that they decided they didn't need him and wrote him out after a season.

With Adric and Turlough, though, there was a different philosophy at work. The former was conceived, essentially, as the Susan/Vicki type with a little bit extra equipment and Turlough - as a companion out to kill the Doctor - was something genuinely new.

Comment

Although I can't predict how many posts this thread will get, I can guarantee the title alone will ensure a high viewing count.

Comment

Captain Jack and Adric

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                  Although I can't predict how many posts this thread will get, I can guarantee the title alone will ensure a high viewing count.
                  LOL! Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who posted so far.

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

I always thought Ian Could think as fast as the doctor, only he didn't have the experience, but I think it gives the show a good balence with a male compaion.
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

This is something that has always bothered me... a lack of male companions after Harry. I suppose there was Adric and Turlough later on but there was quite a gap between Harry and Adric.

I liked Harry... he was pretty game on most occasions but my favourite would have to be Ian... the original and the best... He wasn't all brawn either. I like the fact that he had ideas about how to get out of scrapes and wasn't completely reliant on the Doctor.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Harry is great and together with the Doctor and Sarah Jane, makes a great team and is in some of my favourite episodes. Turlough is awesome too, makes a nice change to have a shifty companion.
                        I've only seen one story with Ben in but he seems like a nice bloke too.
                        Who can say no to Captain Jack?

Comment

You can't have too much male eye candy, especially if it's The Doctor and Captain Jack. Wouldn't mind some more of that stuff.

Comment

Jamie was the best male crewmember. Very practical yet often fool-hardy. Great heroic and comedic character. Great rapport with the Doctor.

Sure, I think there should be more male crewmembers.

[EDIT: I refuse to write the following phrases:
                            "So-and-so is my favorite male companion."
                            "I really want to have more male companions."
                            My brain just isn't capable of issuing such commands.]
                            Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 16 February 2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Denmenator: Someone is atacking us

Doctor (to Zoe):Who do you think is doing that
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X