PDA

View Full Version : Male Companions

Rowana
February 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Ok Everyone! I have something new we can talk about that always kinda interested me. The Doctor is almost never without a female companion and usually a young one at that, but what about the guys that sometimes traveled with him? I personally wish they had a few more guys in the show. Most of them were pretty good companions and worked well with the Doctors.

I find it hard to choose a favorite since I like them all, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Steven. I wish I could see more of his stories.:(
So who are your favorite guy companions and do you think we should have more?

Here's a list if you don't remember their names:

Ian Chesterton
Steven Taylor
Ben Jackson
Jamie McCrimmon
Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart(not strictly a companion but I'm including him anyway.:))
Harry Sullivan
Adric
Turlough
Captain Jack Harkness

Have fun!:D

CatGoddess
February 15th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Science fiction has always tended to attract young male viewers, so it makes sense that the Doctor had at least one young female companion most of the time: eye candy. Young women have not been a target demographic for sci-fi until recently. Aside from Captain Jack, the Doctor's male companions have not exactly been what I'd call eye candy.

The male companions I've seen have certainly contributed much, and I'd like to see more of them.

Willow'sCat
February 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Well I liked Harry when I was growing up I thought he and Tom Baker made a good double acted. ;)

I also liked Adric. :)

I have to say Capt Jack Harkness is my favourite now, if Capt Jack does return to Dr Who I can't wait to see what the difference DT playing The Doctor will make to their interaction.:)

Metarock Sam
February 16th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Out of that list my favourite companions would have to be Jamie and Captain Jack.

Rowana
February 16th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Well I liked Harry when I was growing up I thought he and Tom Baker made a good double acted. ;)

Harry is definately one of my favorites too. He had such a fun personality that worked really well with the 4th Doctor. I found it rather funny that the Doctor literally tricked him into the TARDIS. This is one of my favorite conversations of theirs:

"Harry..."
"Yes, Doctor?"
"Were you trying to take this off?" (indicates bomb.)
"Yes, Doctor, I was."
"Did you make the rocks fall, Harry?"
"Um...yes, I suppose I must have done."
"Hahaha...HARRY SULLIVAN IS AN IMBECILE!"

That is so funny! :D From Revenge of the Cybermen

Nuallain
February 16th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Well, originally, the idea of the male companion was to provide the action man figure while the Doctor was the slightly senile brain of the situation. Which is why so many Ian/First Doctor exchanges went:

Doctor: We will fight you, horrible alien conquerer! You may have you big flying saucer but dare you face Earth's Champion in the ancient rights of one hand combat? Eh? Do you? Do you? Eh?

Alien: Very well. To the winner, the Earth!

Doctor: Very good. *taps Ian's shoulder* Off you go then.

Ian: Not agaaain!

Ian begat Steven who begat Ben who begat Jamie. And verily, the Second Doctor was what is known as 'a bit of a McKay' and while young, was very cowardly. But the third Doctor was an akido spinning killing machine and needed no bloke to hold his trousers up. The Fourth Doctor was originally expected to be a return to the Troughton style so Harry was created as an action man. But Tom Baker was physical enough that they decided they didn't need him and wrote him out after a season.

With Adric and Turlough, though, there was a different philosophy at work. The former was conceived, essentially, as the Susan/Vicki type with a little bit extra equipment and Turlough - as a companion out to kill the Doctor - was something genuinely new.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
February 16th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Although I can't predict how many posts this thread will get, I can guarantee the title alone will ensure a high viewing count. :D

Reefgirl
February 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Captain Jack and Adric

Rowana
February 16th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Although I can't predict how many posts this thread will get, I can guarantee the title alone will ensure a high viewing count. :D

LOL! Thanks!;)

And thanks to everyone who posted so far.:)

creed462
February 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I always thought Ian Could think as fast as the doctor, only he didn't have the experience, but I think it gives the show a good balence with a male compaion.

Easter Lily
February 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
This is something that has always bothered me... a lack of male companions after Harry. I suppose there was Adric and Turlough later on but there was quite a gap between Harry and Adric.

I liked Harry... he was pretty game on most occasions but my favourite would have to be Ian... the original and the best... ;) He wasn't all brawn either. I like the fact that he had ideas about how to get out of scrapes and wasn't completely reliant on the Doctor.

in circles
February 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Harry is great and together with the Doctor and Sarah Jane, makes a great team and is in some of my favourite episodes. Turlough is awesome too, makes a nice change to have a shifty companion.
I've only seen one story with Ben in but he seems like a nice bloke too.
Who can say no to Captain Jack? :D

ShadowMaat
February 16th, 2006, 01:38 PM
You can't have too much male eye candy, especially if it's The Doctor and Captain Jack. :D Wouldn't mind some more of that stuff. ;)

February 16th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Jamie was the best male crewmember. Very practical yet often fool-hardy. Great heroic and comedic character. Great rapport with the Doctor.

Sure, I think there should be more male crewmembers.

[EDIT: I refuse to write the following phrases:
"So-and-so is my favorite male companion."
"I really want to have more male companions."
My brain just isn't capable of issuing such commands.]

creed462
February 17th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Denmenator: Someone is atacking us

Doctor (to Zoe):Who do you think is doing that

Rowana
February 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Denmenator: Someone is atacking us

Doctor (to Zoe):Who do you think is doing that

LOL! Dominators is one of my favorite Jamie stories!:) He does some really great stuff in that one. I especially like the Doctor's line about his plan: "But Jamie! That's a brilliant idea! It's so simple only you could have thought of it." :D

creed462
February 17th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Yep, And it worked well to

ShadowMaat
February 18th, 2006, 06:42 AM
If this is Billie Piper's last season, what do you think the chances are on the Doctor getting a male companion to replace her? Or is the concern now too focused on demographics and the Doctor- in addition to always being young- will always have a female companion?

Rowana
February 18th, 2006, 06:52 AM
If this is Billie Piper's last season, what do you think the chances are on the Doctor getting a male companion to replace her? Or is the concern now too focused on demographics and the Doctor- in addition to always being young- will always have a female companion?

I think the odds are pretty good that we'll get another young female companion. Even in the original series, the Doctor was rarely without one and never for very long.

creed462
February 18th, 2006, 07:08 AM
It may be good to have no compainions for an ep or two

February 18th, 2006, 07:50 AM
It may be good to have no compainions for an ep or twoI agree here. I'm tired of the overlap of companions and even more so of the trite "passing of the baton" episodes.

I liked Boomtown because they had a team, even Mickey joined in.

So, IMO the best would be to give the Doc some time alone for a few stories when Rose does leave; but eventually have multiple companions, both male and female.

ShadowMaat
February 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
I liked that kid they picked up, the one who got the computer thing installed in his head. Bit of an idiot, but I still liked having him around for that little bit of time. And, of course, the eps with Captain Jack were awesome.

Multiple companions of mixed gender could be the way to go. At least for a while.

Metarock Sam
February 18th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Well according to the commentary on Rose RTD explicicly states that Mickey the idiot is going to become a companion. Which is either going to be realy good or really bad. Lets hope its the former.

February 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I liked that kid they picked up, the one who got the computer thing installed in his head. Bit of an idiot, but I still liked having him around for that little bit of time.That was Adam. The whole point of Adam was to illustrate that not everyone could be a companion. Doesn't mean he won't be back.

And, of course, the eps with Captain Jack were awesome.Definitely. He brought a lot of enthusiasm into it.

Glad to hear he's getting his own show, Torchwood.

Multiple companions of mixed gender could be the way to go. At least for a while.Maybe RTD will relent from his Rose-centric stories and let us have a team again.

February 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well according to the commentary on Rose RTD explicicly states that Mickey the idiot is going to become a companion. Which is either going to be realy good or really bad. Lets hope its the former.That actually might be what the show needs, someone on board who has difficulty coping.

ShadowMaat
February 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
That was Adam. The whole point of Adam was to illustrate that not everyone could be a companion. Doesn't mean he won't be back.
Don't really care if he comes back or not (though I was initially disappointed at the loss). But I liked the dynamic he added, the imperfection and the dangerous meddling and general gawkiness. It's nice to have the occasional different personality added to the mix, even if they don't last long. ;)

February 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Don't really care if he comes back or not (though I was initially disappointed at the loss). But I liked the dynamic he added, the imperfection and the dangerous meddling and general gawkiness. It's nice to have the occasional different personality added to the mix, even if they don't last long. ;)That could work too.

I'd like to see them establish some recurring UNIT characters again.

Although I suppose with Torchwood, they will have the potential for more recurring characters.

Rowana
February 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
That could work too.

I'd like to see them establish some recurring UNIT characters again.

Although I suppose with Torchwood, they will have the potential for more recurring characters.

Some UNIT people would be awesome. They've already introduced that they are still around, maybe one of them could get "assigned" to watch the Doctor for a while. That would be fun! Especially if they get someone like Benton. I liked Benton!:)

February 18th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Some UNIT people would be awesome. They've already introduced that they are still around, maybe one of them could get "assigned" to watch the Doctor for a while. That would be fun! Especially if they get someone like Benton. I liked Benton!:)Oh, no...Benton was far too talkative. :D

I like how he always got knocked around by some innocent-looking alien technology and the Brig would walk in and chastise him. He could never win.

And the Brigadier, who was so serious and disciplined, had to file and explain all those bizarre reports. And he had to cope with the chaotic Doctor who kept offering more bizarre explanations in each adventure. The best Brig scene was in The Three Doctors....

Doctor Who Season 10: The Three Doctors
He dismisses the Doctor's theory that they traveled through the black hole, then opens the door of UNIT HQ and sees a desert outside. Even then, he can't imagine being on an alien word.

Doctor: "I think we're a lot further than that."
Brigadier: "You mean we're not in Britain. There could be international repurcussions. This could be construed as an act of war."

Or when he finally notices the Second Doctor standing next to Benton....
*A look of disbelief*
Brigadeir: "Oh no..."

*Grinning*
Doctor: "Oh yes."
:D

Mr Prophet
February 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I'm not sure if it's actually so, but Turlough is the only solo male companion I can think of.

Since the Doctor is at least superficially male, the female companion makes sense to balance the crew. After that it's more open, although I'd sooner a Captain Jack than another Adam.

February 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure if it's actually so, but Turlough is the only solo male companion I can think of.

Since the Doctor is at least superficially male, the female companion makes sense to balance the crew. After that it's more open, although I'd sooner a Captain Jack than another Adam.Jamie traveled alone with the Second Doctor in The Two Doctors and Adric traveled alone with the Fourth Doctor in The Keeper of Traken.

February 18th, 2006, 01:30 PM
The Doctor traveled completely alone once...in The Deadly Assassin.

Mr Prophet
February 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Knew I could count on you to fill in the gaps.

February 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Knew I could count on you to fill in the gaps.Yeah, I'm kind of the dentist of Doctor Who lore. :D

creed462
February 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I read a review about that one with adam, and I though about harry sullivan

Rowana
February 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I read a review about that one with adam, and I though about harry sullivan

LOL! I think Harry is definately better.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I don't think Harry tried to use time to his advantage

February 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I don't think Harry tried to use time to his advantageNo, but he didn't mind grabbing some gold on Voga. ;)

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I have to rewatch that, but then again wasn't goal worthless on Voga

February 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
I have to rewatch that, but then again wasn't goal worthless on VogaOne would guess that's true due to the law of supply and demand, but unfortunately I don't know any Vogan economists. :D

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM
They problly know the havic it couses outside their plants.

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM
OR there is so much around that they have no use for it.

February 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
OR there is so much around that they have no use for it.As I said, supply and demand.

The greater the supply, the less the demand.

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 12:28 PM
Ahh it all comes clear now.

creed462
February 21st, 2006, 04:00 PM
hazely clear

February 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
hazely clearYou never heard of Adam Smith (http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/96jun/smith.html) and the "invisible hand" of the market?

Now I'm not a business person and economics makes me dizzy, but this is the basic stuff.

creed462
February 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
No, I was joking be cause a gold mirror wouldn't be Crystal Clear,

I have heard of Samuel Adam and Captalism, and a few other econimic theories