This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
    Is anybody else getting more and more pessimistic about season 8? These new Pete spoilers are making me very frustrated. Regardless of the fact that I don't care much for Pete as a character it just sounds like there will be way too much focus on personal relationships next season and that's not what the show is about. Correction. That's not what the show *should* be about. And I really don't need the long drawn out using of Pete as a romantic foil for the Sam/Jack relationship. I'm not a fan of angst. Right now I'm longing for the days of the subtle UST. It will be interesting to me to see if they actually use the Stargate next season. This is very frustrating. Frickin' Pete.
    i've said it before and i'll say it again...

ahem...

Preach On! Tell it like it is! wooo yeah!
    you're preachin to the choir here.
    i'm not too pessimistic yet, but thats only because the only spoilers i've read have directly related to pete. and i did read a spoiler for new order by accident early on. i liked the initial spoiler for new order though.

bring back the nice subtle uber friendship that can be interpreted either way! (until the end where sam and jack actually get together. )

Comment

spoilers for season 7, "chimera" and "grace"

i will say this though, in favour of chimera.
      one thing i did really like about the episode (i know, shock, horror! )
      i loved that at the start, when they were showing the "previously on" clips, they included the one with jack from "Grace" where he says " maybe its not me thats the problem here" then " i'm a sure bet"

that part really gave me hope.

Comment

Season 8 spoilers below
        S
        P
        O
        I
        L
        E
        R
        S
        P
        A
        C
        E

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        Is anybody else getting more and more pessimistic about season 8? These new Pete spoilers are making me very frustrated. Regardless of the fact that I don't care much for Pete as a character it just sounds like there will be way too much focus on personal relationships next season and that's not what the show is about. Correction. That's not what the show *should* be about. And I really don't need the long drawn out using of Pete as a romantic foil for the Sam/Jack relationship. I'm not a fan of angst. Right now I'm longing for the days of the subtle UST. It will be interesting to me to see if they actually use the Stargate next season. This is very frustrating. Frickin' Pete.
        Subtle UST and missions is much more my preference, too. I'm really not sure what to think of the overall direction. We are getting a lot of personal life sorts of spoilers. However, we are only getting part of the picture. We hear about Teal'c's earth girl and Daniel's native girl because they have to be cast. They sound like one episode wonders and we tend to get a couple of those each season. I'd be worried about the Big Fat Jaffa Wedding episode if Christopher Judge wasn't the one writing it. I've loved his episodes in the past and am perfectly happy to give that one the benefit of the doubt that it'll be more than relationship focused. Pete may have a story arc, but he doesn't seem the focus of any individual episodes. There are a lot of personal life sorts of spoilers, but it is really hard to say if it'll be much more than other seasons once we see it.
        *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

No Offense but just because AT wants a boyfriend for Sam the shippers have to suffer.I guess the regs have not been bad enough we need a boyfriend for Sam.RDA mentioned in TV Zone he wanted to do a follow up to 100days and that never happened.The last time I checked RDA was a producer.I think AT is great and she has every right to express her wishes but what about RDA?

Comment

Originally posted by Auralan
            I'm really not worried here. They clearly haven't forgotten the Sam/Jack ship. They don't seem to be playing the Sam/Pete thing as some great romance. .
            I am snipping here because I don't want to repeat everything for the forth time BUT I think you made some VERY GOOD POINTS

Let's hope this is what they have in mind in the end.

Originally posted by ShipperAhoy
            Correction. That's not what the show *should* be about. And I really don't need the long drawn out using of Pete as a romantic foil for the Sam/Jack relationship. I'm not a fan of angst. Right now I'm longing for the days of the subtle UST. It will be interesting to me to see if they actually use the Stargate next season.
            Ship Mum - I hear You...I too miss some Off World shows and I miss ALOT of the banter Sam & Jack had. we saw some fun snippets of it there at teh end but now with well who knows...heres hoping TPTB have something up their sleeves that is really good

Originally posted by Auralan
            Maybe they're the insecure ones and they like getting all those letters.
            Well I plan on writing
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
              or maybe they're trying to scare the pants off of us! or lull us into a big giant sense of insecurity.

i'm scared..... ...... hold me!

Here is your hug darling

((((((((((((((((((((((((stargate barbie)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Now eat your shipper cookies like a good girl. They are sure to make you feel better
              Ship Nana

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                For me the show is all FOUR, RDA, AT, MS and CJ. BUT I was still enjoying the show when MS left and the character of Jonas was brought in. So that proved to me that *some* of the actors *can* leave and I would still be okay with it. However, RDA is central TO ME and he plays off everyone and the backstory of Sam & Jack is important TO ME so if RDA left that would change the entire dynamic FOR ME.

I firmly believe that RDA is one of the central reasons that the ratings are doing so well, I also believe the return of MS has played a big part in that as so many people like the interplay between the two. BUT I firmly believe that the interplay between Sam & Jack is ALSO a HUGE reason for the strong ratings.
                So all that being said I agree that trying to have Star Gate without RDA is not one of the best ideas and I really hope that TPTB are not considering it.

Plus if they do that.........OMG I am NOT going to EVEN think about that....breathe...I am being positive!!!!!!!
                Tame, I totally agree with you. One of the reasons that I started watching stargate was RDA. Jack as a character just totally caught my attention with his quick sense of humor and wit. I thought he was hilarious. I guess I related more to him then any other character...so I kept watching. Sure, I love MS and Daniel, but I too grew to love Jonas when MS left. I just don't think it's going to go that way if RDA left. And of course I started watching because of Sam and Jack and their relationship. So if they RDA left, and they kill the S/J relationship...then I'm sorry, but I'm done. As much as I love all the other characters, I just can't see the show as a success without him or ship.

~*~Emilee~*~

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                  or maybe they're trying to scare the pants off of us! or lull us into a big giant sense of insecurity.

i'm scared..... ...... hold me!
                  (((((((((((((((((((((((stargate barbie)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

here, have a cookie! If you run out of nana's, I recommend oreos (Gee, I think I just made myself hungry LOL)
                  Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                  Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                  Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Sigh. I apologize for being in a gloomy mood and I certainly appreciate some of the morale-boosting comments that have been made about the Pete situation. My concern is that this is really more for the general audience than us: the general audience isn't devoutly anti-ship, but they aren't necessarily pro-ship, either. Most of them don't have a problem if Sam and Jack end up together, but they aren't going to get upset if they don't.

Multiple appearances and/or references to Pete may be designed especially to acclimate the general audience to the idea of Sam and Pete as a couple. If TPTB keep them happy, they keep their numbers, whether they tick off the ship fans or not. Fandom as a whole is only a very small percentage of the viewing audience for any show, and any subgroup (shippers, slashers and so on) is only a percentage of that. So, in the end, fans are not really the people to whom they are pitching the show.

J.
                    Last edited by DarkQuee1; 12 May 2004, 06:10 PM. Reason: edited for typos
                    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
                      One vote for: "My brother needs to pay his mortgage."

Seriously, it sounds far too twisted to be worth worrying about that first appearance. It's not even Pete, it's Sam being tortured with images of Pete. Come to think of it, I can get behind the Pete as a torture device thing.... Maybe they are listening to us.

It sounds like two or three appearances for David. He shows up once in replicator-induced visions. The character is discussed as part of her doubts in Affinity. We don't know if we actually see him there, but it seems likely with local authorities being involved and Pete being a cop. That leaves one more place where he may come back. The may is telling. It's not plot necessary, he just may fit into a future episode. Probably another one of those earth based things where they need local authorities or maybe the AU episode that keeps getting mentioned.

Sure, they're gonna give the guy work. He's related to TPTB and the cast likes him. None of this sounds on the puppies and bunnies end of the spectrum. I'm not worried.
                      I'm so glad you wrote that!

I thought I was going to implode when I read that spoiler (yes everybody, I caved again. I've come to the conclusion that Pete spoilers are OK, as long as I avoid everything else...). But now I am feeling much better.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
                        Fandom as a whole is only a very small percentage of the viewing audience for any show, and any subgroup (shippers, slashers and so on) is only a percentage of that. So, in the end, fans are not really the people to whom they are pitching the show.
                        Ah, but fandom as a whole makes up the majority of their profits from selling DVDs, and other products. If they piss off the fans who's going to buy the products and act as a walking bilboard for their show?
                        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Spoiler Space S7 Chimera
                          After watching Chimera when it first aired I was about 95% sure PS was just a really bad plot device intended to build up a bunch of UST (not that we didn't have enough already) in order to fuel the S/J ship resolution. Now I'm not so sure... Though I'm really hoping that's the direction they'll take it. Even if they didn't originally intend it that way, the story line could easily be manipulated to fit the S/J subplot, while making TPTB look a whole lot better in the process. As for DDL being PDL's brother and all that, I really want to believe that they are both above pulling a stunt like that (especially as professionals in the entertainment business.) If DDL really is coming back out of neccessity, however, I sincerely hope it's for the purpose of bringing S/J together.

Comment

[QUOTE=Emilee108]Spoilers for Season 8 New Order/Affinity and PS
                            In "New Order," Major Carter is captured by the humanoid Replicators, which have escaped from their Asgard time dilation prison (Season Six's "Unnatural Selection"). Fifth (Patrick Currie) tortures her, though he still claims to have feelings for her despite her previous betrayal. He uses his abilities to interface with her mind and impersonate Pete, trying to convince Sam that she is living on a farm in Montana with him after having resigned from the S.G.C.
                            QUOTE]

living with = torture

Fifth may be on our side.

ship = , no ship = , AU Martouf =

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick

I agree totally, I just find Sam totally irritating at the moment.
                              Don't take it out on Sam-- she doesn't write herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaeriel
                                Hey, new girl here. I've been a pretty ardent shipper for the past few years, but lately I've been thinking about what I'd ever do if/when Sam and Jack get together. Probably spontaneously combust. Honestly, for me anyways, what makes the two of them so interesting is that long path "down the garden." They've been through so much and I'd hate to see it all resolved too quickly. AT once said that she'd be satisfied if at the end of the series you get a tag with the two of them sitting on Jack's dock fishing and we can all come to our own conclusions. I think that's a fabulous idea.
                                Gaeriel, I love you because you are shipper, but if I don't see some serious love between Sam and Jack before this season is over... I'm going to spontaneously combust! We've DONE to DEATH subtle. After Chernobyl and the continuing relationpit with , I need more than a quick visual of a *&%$^#@ dock.

Comment

Working...
                                X