X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
    Spoilers Season 8
    I'll probably get tons of flak for this and might even get asked to turn in my Shipper membership card, but if they are going to keep Pete around (and it appears he and Sam will be involved at least until episode 8) then I don't think they should still have outright ship between Sam and Jack.
    Keep the card. I'm with you. There's a very fine line they have to walk while Pete's in the picture. Friendship is okay. I see a lot of what they've done and are doing as strengthening that friendship while they have the room to do it without other implications getting in the way.

Using the relationship as a way for Sam to rethink her priorities in life is also fine in my book. While overt ship from Sam is not; seeing Sam as confused, I'd put in the acceptable column. She should be confused. I can think of much better reasons to start a relationship than doing what the concussion-induced hallucinations suggest. That's gotta be on the wrong end of a mental health checklist somewhere. Do you do hear voices in your head or see visions? Do you do what they tell you?

Seeing Jack react to the mess also works for me. He's not the one with the extraneous love interest. If we see him subtly hurt or angsty, I'm fine with that characterization.

It undermines the characters credibility to be involved and even talking about having kids with one guy and still (and I'm going to even borrow an anti-shipper phrase here because that's how strongly I feel about it) be making "googly-eyes" at Jack.
    Having seen the sides, I think they're writing this very, very carefully. Sam really isn't talking specifically about Pete. Jack is the one who drags him into the conversation. She seems to be questioning bigger issues of how to balance a life with the kind of job she currently has or if she can at all. It's doesn't look "googly-eyes" to me at all. If there's ship in it, it's angsty and coming from Jack. Sam's questioning her life choices. We may see it played that Jack is hurting and Sam finally realizes he's hurting. That's the ship angle I potentially see at the end of that conversation. It's not a goo-goo eyes sort of conversation. If it was, I'd be uncomfortable with it. Anything past friendship from Sam, unless it's in the confusion category, makes me a little itchy while she's in a somewhat serious outside relationship.

I like ship but I don't need romantic drama. I like subtle ship and I don't need Pete as the "romantic foil". It's completely unnecessary. I was perfectly content with subtle ship and the regs as the obstacle they needed to overcome I don't need the token boyfriend too. And that's how I see Pete. I don't for one second believe that they brought Pete in as a legitimate love interest. Not from the interviews and commentaries from various crew.
    Big. Fat. Word.
    *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Spoilers Season 8
      [snip] if they are going to keep Pete around (and it appears he and Sam will be involved at least until episode 8) then I don't think they should still have outright ship between Sam and Jack. It undermines the characters credibility to be involved and even talking about having kids with one guy and still (and I'm going to even borrow an anti-shipper phrase here because that's how strongly I feel about it) be making "googly-eyes" at Jack.
      I've said it before and I'll say it again: Having Pete on the scene and having Sam making "goo-goo eyes" at Jack makes her look wishy-washy. For all her Computer Smarts she missed the class were they explain XOR (eXclusive OR)... it's one OR the other, BUT NOT both.

I like ship but I don't need romantic drama. I like subtle ship and I don't need Pete as the "romantic foil". It's completely unnecessary. I was perfectly content with subtle ship and the regs as the obstacle they needed to overcome I don't need the token boyfriend too.
      I've said this before too: I really didn't want, and still don't want, a love triangle. I don't want SoapGate and I don't want as the StarGate Turns.

And that's how I see Pete. I don't for one second believe that they brought Pete in as a legitimate love interest. Not from the interviews and commentaries from various crew.
      I've never seen Pete as anything but a VERY poorly written plot device to break the D@MN F*(#@& Black Widow Curse which I've always seen as a f(*#ing joke.

If they are going to have Pete still be involved with Sam for the first half of the season then it's an excellent opportunity for more team episodes and to give Daniel and Teal'c some good storylines and bring back more of the Jack/Daniel friendship that was sorely lacking in the last half of season 7 instead of these shippy moments with Sam and Jack that we know can lead abso-friggin-lutely nowhere while Pete is in the picture.
      I like that as long as they have one scene in New Order as a nod to the fact that they are going to deal with all this.... sh--stuff ... in the second half of the season.

(Waiting for BCM to disagree with me)
      You may be waiting a while
      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
        There's a very fine line they have to walk while Pete's in the picture. Friendship is okay. I see a lot of what they've done and are doing as strengthening that friendship while they have the room to do it without other implications getting in the way.
        I agree with you for the most part, my one complaint is that it could have been toned down a little, not removed just toned down. Not place so much emphasis on the "moments", not make them so long, not change the lighting

Using the relationship as a way for Sam to rethink her priorities in life is also fine in my book. While overt ship from Sam is not; seeing Sam as confused, I'd put in the acceptable column.
        She seemed like she had a pretty clear idea of what she wanted to say at Jack's in TLC, even if she didn't get to say it. IMO it would have played better if she hadn't tried to tell him a second time, and she had looked a little more lost... then I'd buy that she was confused. But maybe I need to watch it again

Seeing Jack react to the mess also works for me. He's not the one with the extraneous love interest. If we see him subtly hurt or angsty, I'm fine with that characterization.
        [snip]

If there's ship in it, it's angsty and coming from Jack. Sam's questioning her life choices. We may see it played that Jack is hurting and Sam finally realizes he's hurting. That's the ship angle I potentially see at the end of that conversation. It's not a goo-goo eyes sort of conversation.
        I hope that is how the scene plays out, when I first heard about the scene this is how I imagined it.

Anything past friendship from Sam, unless it's in the confusion category, makes me a little itchy while she's in a somewhat serious outside relationship.
        I'll second that.
        ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
          ok kids i got my new dvd today. watched Chimera with the commentary, and i thought SOME people here might be interested to hear a few bits and pieces.

first off, damian kindler gave two definitions for the word one of which involved the following phrase:
          " the fleeting dream of love, that comes in and out of carters life but doesn't stay."

BUT! before we get too excited over that one. he also said, during the icky bedroom scene, eeww;
          (vague spoilers for season 8)

"the character of pete will be coming back in season 8. the relationship will take its next logical step"

BUT! on the funny side of things he did continuously refer to him as a stalker (in a jokey way).
          example:
          "nothing like being stalked by the guy your dating eh? its romantic!. its modern..."

then in the end when talking about the episode thats in the works for him to come back:
          "the episode is tentatively titled, pete comes back and he's still a really nice guy... and no longer stalks..."

So there ya go. thought i should keep our little shipper comminity informed.
          Stargate Barbie, you did a great job describing the commentary. I got my DVD last week; and after hearing the "Chimera" commentary, I could not put my thoughts into words. I was totally confused and depressed. It seems as though there is a plan for but how it has anything to do with Stargate operations is beyond me. IMO, if is just a boyfriend then Stargate SG-1 WILL seem like a soap opera. I want exciting SciFi and team-save-the-world stuff, and if there is a little bit of love along the way (Sam/Jack, Teal'c/Ishtar, Daniel/Sarah) I would be happy with that.

The suspense is maddening!!!!!!!!!! Who has the remote so we can fast forward to July 9 ??????????
          Last edited by Token; 10 May 2004, 07:37 PM.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
            I hate to say this but Sam is starting to look real shallow by getting all upset about Jack and then staying with Pete.If Sam really loves Jack she should break up with Pete.If Sam loves Pete she needs to tell Jack so Jack can move on.Sam keeps giving Jack mixed signals.I still believe Sam and Jack will end up together but I am losing my patience.If this is the last season TPTB are not treating things like a last season.I also do not understand all the Earth based episodes.The show should no longer be called Stargate Sg-1 if there are so many Earth based episodes.How about calling the show Earth SG-1.Going back to Sam and Pete I would love to see an epiosde where Pete does something to cause Jack to be Hurt.I'am sure TPTB would still have Sam stick with Pete.I think we have as much as a chance at seeing that episode as we do a non-Earth based episode.If the Budget for the show is causing problems it is time to end Stargate after Season 8.
            I agree. IMO, TPTB are expecting a Season 9. After the Saturn award and the high ratings, I definitely think there are negotiations for another season or two. The question is whether RDA is the make or break issue. Will his reduced schedule in Season 8 affect the ratings. (rhetorical question)

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
              I've never seen Pete as anything but a VERY poorly written plot device to break the D@MN F*(#@& Black Widow Curse which I've always seen as a f(*#ing joke.
              Hey Ship Daddy would you care to explain that whole Black Widow Curse thing for me again?

I don't know, it's sort of distressing when I find myself agreeing with more and more of the anti-shipper points of view. I'm not saying it's distressing because their views are any less valid than mine, but distressing because I do enjoy the ship aspect and I'm getting more and more afraid that TPTB are going to muck it up.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Hey Ship Daddy would you care to explain that whole Black Widow Curse thing for me again?
                Why don't you stuff it... but in a good way
                ~BCM =)

Comment

Wow, we made another thread!!! *smiles proudly*

Okay, time for me to answer the posts I couldn't on the other one. I'm going to answer all 3 right here.

~~~~~~~

1 - #993 from Ozgirl

//So very brave of you, Major Sally, dear! I salute you. I think, since you
                  figured out my signature, that there's a place reserved for you there,
                  somewhere in the low rent district, right next to Mala, Tame and me. //

*wipes tear* Thank you, Oz.

//Have you read the definition of "fond" as in "we are fond of Colonel O'Neill"?//

Truth be told, I only skimmed through the posts because there were SO many, and all I wanted to see were pics of mr studmuffin, I mean RDA. I did save lots of good sites with hunky pics of RDASS, I mean RDA.

2 - #995 from Saharagate

//Hi. My name is Sahara and I have been spoiler free for 10 hours. //

Dang, you beat my record!

//Now if I somebody would just remove this straight jacket I could reach the mouse and click on the season 8 thread........//

Use your feet.

//I could also stop typing with my chin............. //

Look, as soon as you have the shock therapy, you won't 'care' about typing with your chin... okay, you won't be able to do anything but gurgle and jerk, but you won't 'care' that you can't do anything but gurgle and jerk! See, I've really thought this stuff through!

(realizes replies suck, but goes forward nonetheless)

3 - #996 from Astronomicalchick

<<Quoting SaharaGate: Hehe. I think you're right.

In fact, as my good friend Jafana pointed out to me last night, apparently the Queer eye for the straight guy handbook >>

//Don't ya just love those Queer Guys???

Are we calling Pete a potato now? Bleah! To Pete//

Oh, man, is that ever a set up for... Okay, send the Queer guys over to see PS... we know how it would turn out... this is just too easy......... I can't do it to our poor, confused Sam..... let PS bite the bullet before he becomes a switch hitter....

//*I will not click* *I will not click* *I will not click*//

Click, you know you wanna...

*has sudden epiphany that this TV dinner really sucks*

Sally, who's so proud the shippers have such big mouths and can't stop talking!
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Happy
                    Besides my dear hubby looks a bit like RDA...what can I say? Can't even imagine Sam looking at anyone but Jack.
                    *clears throat*.... Do you, perchance, have a pic of said hubby that I could view? This would be for scientific reasons only you see.....

Sally
                    Last edited by majorsal; 10 May 2004, 08:42 PM. Reason: forgot '?'
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                      Nice thing about watching repeatedly though--you catch all those little shippy looks in places where you never noticed them before!!!! See, I can be on topic!

Have you ever watched with your headphones on? You can't hear what they're saying, so all you pay attention to is their body language. It's *so* fun and interesting on what you can pick up with only once sense to work with.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                        Marimba ,

just watched "Just holding out for you "and it's so moving ...I love all the clips ..You must be watching the DVD's all the time !!!! It's excellent .
                        I didn't know that song before .I thought she sounded a bit like celine Dion..which I have in my repertoire cuz she is French Canadian and she is always in France , plus she sings some French songs too.

I don't know She Daisy but she sure has a good voice...Smashing video as always Bravo.

Are we gonna take a break sometimes ??!!!! Hang on only 2 months until the season 8 premiere.. Do you think we'll be able to hang on....to keep the shippers little hearts happy.. I think so ....although I'm off on holiday soon ....South of France...with the palm trees and the blue sea.

Caty aka ShipDiva
                        Yep, kind of on a break right now--mainly because the computer goes to the shop tomorrow---AARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! So not looking forward to that! At least I'll have hubs' computer to post but no vids--boohoo!!!! going to try to hang on until the premiere--kids are out of school in two weeks so I'll get to stay up later! Have fun on holiday--the beach is MUCH better than hanging around a computer! South of France--WOW!!

Glad you liked the vid The song was a request from JSDT--a really good one I thought! Hadn't heard it before but it grew on me REALLY fast and now I'm going to go check some other songs by them. They seem like a really good group!
                        Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                        Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                        Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

"the episode is tentatively titled, pete comes back and he's still a really nice guy... and no longer stalks..."

Originally posted by Ship Nana
                          In my book, once a stalker, ALWAYS a stalker!!!!

You got that!

I could just see it... it's their one year anniversary, and PS takes Sam to a funeral home. He wants to continue in the senior citizen entertainment vein, so he finds an old couple that's bit the dust and takes Sam there to go dancing again. He doesn't understand why Sam's not excited by this, because he was so sure that she'd like it when he'd followed her from the gym after following her from her house after following her from work where he'd spent the night in his car because Sam had gotten mad at him for borrowing her keys and making copies without asking and... were was I again??? Oh, yeah, once a *person that follows ppl*, always a *person that follows ppl*!

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I don't know, it's sort of distressing when I find myself agreeing with more and more of the anti-shipper points of view. I'm not saying it's distressing because their views are any less valid than mine, but distressing because I do enjoy the ship aspect and I'm getting more and more afraid that TPTB are going to muck it up.

I think the fact that some of us agree more and more with the antis (I agree with you here about that) just goes to show that ALL the fans want mostly the same thing!! RESOLUTION!!!! Of course, we want them to end up together, they don't. Otherwise, we have a lot in common--we don't want PTB to f*&% this up!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              Have you ever watched with your headphones on? You can't hear what they're saying, so all you pay attention to is their body language. It's *so* fun and interesting on what you can pick up with only once sense to work with.

Sally
                              Oooh, that's a good idea! Something to do while the computer people take forever to fix my computer! Told hubs he should just get me that shiny new one I want then he could have mine--much better than his at the moment! LOL--yeah, like that's gonna happen!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                                first off, damian kindler gave two definitions for the word one of which involved the following phrase:
                                " the fleeting dream of love, that comes in and out of carters life but doesn't stay."

Yay! I LOVE the way this sounds, and I LOVE that a power is saying it!

BUT! before we get too excited over that one. he also said, during the icky bedroom scene, eeww;
                                (vague spoilers for season 8)

BUT! on the funny side of things he did continuously refer to him as a stalker (in a jokey way).
                                example:
                                "nothing like being stalked by the guy your dating eh? its romantic!. its modern..."

He saw it. Other writers saw it. DDL saw it. It's there!

then in the end when talking about the episode thats in the works for him to come back:

Nice guys don't stalk. Period.

So there ya go. thought i should keep our little shipper comminity informed.

Thank you! Even so-so news is news, and we shippers must remain fully informed so that we know when to pull out the extra chocolate and batteries. Well, some of us... *clears throat*

Sally
                                Last edited by majorsal; 10 May 2004, 10:54 PM. Reason: because. it's a secret. guess. mwhahaha
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X