Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from the concise oxford dictionary (1990)

chimera (also chimaera) n. 1(in greek mythology) a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. 2 a fantastic or grotesque product of the imagination; a bogey. 3 any fabulous beast with parts taken from various animals. 4Biol.a an organism containing genetically different tissues, formed by grafting, mutation, etc. b a nucleic acid formed by laboratory manipulation. 5 any cartilaginous fish of the family Chimaeridae, usu. having a long tapering caudal fin.

see how much i like you guys? see how much trouble i go to for you all. pretty much the whole dang defintition!

Comment

Originally posted by stargate barbie
      from the concise oxford dictionary (1990)

chimera (also chimaera) n. 1(in greek mythology) a fire-breathing female monster with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail. 2 a fantastic or grotesque product of the imagination; a bogey. 3 any fabulous beast with parts taken from various animals. 4Biol.a an organism containing genetically different tissues, formed by grafting, mutation, etc. b a nucleic acid formed by laboratory manipulation. 5 any cartilaginous fish of the family Chimaeridae, usu. having a long tapering caudal fin.

see how much i like you guys? see how much trouble i go to for you all. pretty much the whole dang defintition!
      Just thought I'd add this one--definition number 2 says it all I think (from the Compact Oxford English Dictionary):

chimera
      /kimeer/ (also chimaera)

• noun 1 Greek Mythology a fire-breathing female monster with a lion’s head, a goat’s body, and a serpent’s tail. 2 something hoped for but illusory or impossible to achieve. 3 Biology an organism containing a mixture of genetically different tissues.

— ORIGIN Greek khimaira ‘she-goat or chimera’

Also found this nifty little adjective--thought it described Ptui pretty well:

uliginous

[yoo-LIDJ-uh-nus] an adjective meaning 'swampy, slimy, oozy'. From a Latin word meaning 'full of moisture'.
      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
        Ah, but *is* she a *little* happy with Pete or is it just a Chimera? Personally I think her relationship with him is an illusion she's created to try to fool herself into thinking that she's happy. If they were happy, why'd he walk out on her? Why couldn't he trust her? etc, etc, etc.

Okay, I've beat this horse to death already--did you find that smiley Tame? Anyway, you get the idea. I think Pete is a Chimera.
        Jumping in here to say....I think she is fooling herself that she is happy. Remember "Jacob" had to convince her she wasn't happy because she was in denial. And walking out on her after the first time, WRONG!! Maybe after a few months, but I would not agree with that either.

Token ~

Comment

Well you kids have managed to do it again. Here's to long sleepless nights and stimulants such as caffeine and No-Doz. I'll see you at the Sam/Jack Shipper Thread III.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Here we go yet again. A brand spanking new Shipper thread to play in. Let's break her in shall we?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Comment

Hope no one minds if I have one more question regarding Chimera... How does any of these defininations relate to the show "Chimera"?
                SG-1 Dreamer

Comment

I know I said I wanted to join in the shippy fun (I think that was way way back) but jeez you guys your work rate is just incredible. Besides I have vowed to avoid spoilers as best I can, that way I can keep the ship dream alive until the very last scene of the very last ep.
                  Just thought I'd drop by and say congrats on getting to thread 3 you busy busy people.

geeky

Comment

yay! for the new thread, but for crying out loud! its not the third its the eighth!!!! (not that we wont' catch back up soon anyhow...)

I'm in such a shippy mood...I overloaded on Ship Nana's yellow cookies...I was watching all the episodes I have tevoed...and skipping right to the shippy parts...

and of course...<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial dress blues> Screw the regs! DOWN with Pit! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                    ~Imzadi
                    describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
                    Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna
                      Hope no one minds if I have one more question regarding Chimera... How does any of these defininations relate to the show "Chimera"?
                      Chimera also means dream or illusion. The other plot of the episode was Osiris (Sarah) using Daniel's dreams to find info on the Lost City. Failed.

I also think it means Pete is the illusion of normal life Sam is thinking she wants.

Happy
                      Happy

Sig pic by Mala the Magnificent

Comment

Originally posted by Leanna
                        well i'm glad you asked
                        the first part of the definition refers to carter and her "Black Widow Curse" (sorry BCM). she is the monster. (this was said in a somewhat jokey way on the dvd commentary)
                        the second part refers to her relation ship with pete.
                        here is my original post about what was said on the dvd commentary (edited the colour of the key phrase to partially answer your question:

Originally posted by stargate barbie
                        ok kids i got my new dvd today. watched Chimera with the commentary, and i thought SOME people here might be interested to hear a few bits and pieces.

first off, damian kindler gave two definitions for the word one of which involved the following phrase:
                        " the fleeting dream of love, that comes in and out of carters life but doesn't stay."
                        BUT! before we get too excited over that one. he also said, during the icky bedroom scene, eeww;
                        (vague spoilers for season 8)

"the character of pete will be coming back in season 8. the relationship will take its next logical step"

BUT! on the funny side of things he did continuously refer to him as a stalker (in a jokey way).
                        example:
                        "nothing like being stalked by the guy your dating eh? its romantic!. its modern..."

then in the end when talking about the episode thats in the works for him to come back:
                        "the episode is tentatively titled, pete comes back and he's still a really nice guy... and no longer stalks..."

So there ya go. thought i should keep our little shipper comminity informed.
                        i hope this answers your questions, if not, ask more questions

Comment

from previous thread:
                          #1 repeat after me, all ye who have doubt: is only a chimera...Sam loves Jack not

2: thanks for the info on the pictures stargatebarbie!

3: // but all i remember is one about martin wood regreting not blocking a scene ( in the other guys i think) with AT and RDA sitting on the same bench, but jonas was in that not daniel and blocking a scene is totally different to cutting one.//
                          ummm...confused....blocking is what film/theater people call the plan for where people stand/walk/move/do/whatever...its the plan for what happens on stage/camera view...so...MW just said he wanted to block a scene...to have them sit together? or so they wouldn't?

4: //If and when the writers decide to allow Sam and Jack their first REAL KISS... they had better place them in very close proximity (spelling) to a bedroom cause, let me tell you... with several years of bottled up "feelings for each other"... this first kiss is gonna create quite an explosion within both of them!! I just don't see how they can REALLY kiss and be able to pull themselves apart afterward... do you???//
                          I hope so Leanna!

and the definition of chimera: A fanciful mental illusion or fabrication.

I looked it up when the episode first came out...it's what gives me hope fpr Sam and Jack...and hope that will in fact be dropped like a sack of potatoes...

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
                          ~Imzadi

Comment

Originally posted by lt. lisa
                            ummm...confused....blocking is what film/theater people call the plan for where people stand/walk/move/do/whatever...its the plan for what happens on stage/camera view...so...MW just said he wanted to block a scene...to have them sit together? or so they wouldn't?
                            i think it was in the other guys. the team was in a goua'uld holding cell. carter and jonas were sitting on one bench (at opposite ends) and o'neill and teal'c were sitting on the other one accross the room from them (at opposite ends of the bench again). i think it was where carter asked jonas about it being his first time being captured or something along those lines. and i believe martin wood said something about regretting how he blocked that scene. that he wished he had o'neill and jonas in each others place. then again MW can be very picky and critical of his own work (surprisingly). thats the only time i can recall TPTB stating anything even remotely close to wanting to (or actually) changing a scene or cutting a scene relating to sam and jack. and daniel was nowhere near it! and it wasn't even referencing ship as far as i can recall or tell.

if anyone, and i mean anyone can correct me on this. ie, answer my original question on either the previous shipper thread or on the other thread where the question was originaly posted, i would be very grateful.

Comment

Holy hannah! 3 threads.... that outta tell TPTB something...

Comment

oh, ok...that clears things up stargate barbie

now lets see if my new signature works <crosses fingers>

nooooo!!!! I'll kep trying...

ok, help! I have a great picture, its a screen cap (?) but I can't get it to go on...only the link shows up! its on a webpage with a bunch of pics...how do I do this?
                                Last edited by LtLisa; 20 May 2004, 06:37 PM. Reason: my signature doesn't work yet!!

~Imzadi

Comment

Working...
                                X