X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TameFarrar
    Okay...so they are spending the Sunday afternoon rubbing
    I'm just gonna sit over here in the gutter and remind myself that this is a PG board. Again. It's sad how many posts I haven't made today for that reason ... on multiple levels.
    *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Originally posted by auralan
      I'm just gonna sit over here in the gutter and remind myself that this is a PG board. Again. It's sad how many posts I haven't made today for that reason ... on multiple levels.
      Whats even more sad is I TOTALLY understand and we are talking about fictional characters!!!!! ....

::::tame going off mumbling something about getting a life:::::
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by ses110
        I have been critical of TPTB lately but I think the actors have stopped many good ship scences between Sam and Jack.Over the years I heard many times that At and RDA did not want to play a certain scence the way it has been created.I may be wrong on this but whether the Actors think it is a good idea or not the Actor should not be allowed to overrule the TPTB.I have no problems with Actors having a say in the characters development but at the end of the day TPTB are the Boss and the Actors should follow there direction.The Actors should become writers producers or directors if they want the power.I know it's silly but that has bother me about Hollywood for the longest time.
        Think of it this way (might make you feel better ). If we'd seen them dating - a kiss, hugs etc - in Beneath the Surface, if we'd seen them confess their love (not just 'feelings') to each other in Divide and Conquer, seen more than a last-minute stolen kiss in Window of Opportunity and seen more of Jack's angst in 2010, wouldn't it be THAT much weirder seeing her with Pete? It would be even more difficult to rationalize or understand why Sam is having doubts now, why they haven't sorted this out already.

Of course, there is always the possibility that having those extra scenes might have forced the powers hands a little and we could have avoided the Pete angst, but I highly doubt it.

Things would probably be at the exact same place they are now and Sam and Jack would seem scizophrenic (fav word at the moment hehe).

I think AT and RDA do have what's best for their characters at heart. But 'what's best' in their minds isn't necessarily the characters living happily ever after. They're actors, so 'what's best' for a character is what is the least cliched, what makes the character seem independent and different in some way to the stereotypes or other similar characters out there.

I think for them, at least partially, what is 'good' is what is best for the art of acting and characterisation, not the path of least resistance. They might consider it more interesting or 'real' or challenging to play a scene a certain way. They are just like writers really, interested in telling the story, except they don't get to use broad strokes, they do it with an eyebrow or a twitch of the lip.

In my opinion, without AT and RDA's input into their characters we would not have the three dimensional people we do now. It's the actors jobs to make their characters more than words on a page. I think they've succeeded really well, even if I would prefer them to play it a little differently now and then.

You're right though. The powers should be the ones with the power, lol. But in my opinion, they are. Plenty of suggestions by the actors get ignored or overruled and if they didn't agree, it just wouldn't happen that way. End of story lol.

It's the powers that have decided there will be no resolution till the end of the series, they have decided it's better to draw out the UST. I think if AT and RDA were given scripts and told they were resolving the ship once and for all and getting their characters together, after which the relationship would take a back seat, they would throw everything into it and enjoy the challenge of making a healthy relationship interesting, of making it believable without being the main focus of the show.

At least, that's what I hope. I think there are just as many occasions where the actors have added a shippy element to scenes that weren't written that way as instances where they have fought to play it more subtley.

I know you're not really suggesting that we would have been better off with other, more pliable, actors but just the thought of having other actors made me go "nooooo!" lol. Like everyone has been saying, I just love their chemistry.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
          Ah but one might argue that they were under alien infulence when they went out for steaks, becuase... they were and if they had been in their right minds they wouldn't have done that.

So all we really need are some shippy aliens???

Powers, are you listening?

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
            Think of it this way (might make you feel better ). If we'd seen them dating - a kiss, hugs etc - in Beneath the Surface, if we'd seen them confess their love (not just 'feelings') to each other in Divide and Conquer, seen more than a last-minute stolen kiss in Window of Opportunity and seen more of Jack's angst in 2010, wouldn't it be THAT much weirder seeing her with Pete? It would be even more difficult to rationalize or understand why Sam is having doubts now, why they haven't sorted this out already.
            Don't disagree with you there!

Of course, there is always the possibility that having those extra scenes might have forced the powers hands a little and we could have avoided the Pete angst, but I highly doubt it.
            Guess we will never know, but I kinda doubt we'd be in the same place.

(snip)
            I think AT and RDA do have what's best for their characters at heart. But 'what's best' in their minds isn't necessarily the characters living happily ever after.
            Oh yes it is! More shipper cookies for you!

They're actors, so 'what's best' for a character is what is the least cliched, what makes the character seem independent and different in some way to the stereotypes or other similar characters out there.
            What's wrong with cliches? I like cliche endings as long as it is Sam and Jack together happily at the end of the show.

In my opinion, without AT and RDA's input into their characters we would not have the three dimensional people we do now. It's the actors jobs to make their characters more than words on a page. I think they've succeeded really well, even if I would prefer them to play it a little differently now and then. (snip, snip)

I think there are just as many occasions where the actors have added a shippy element to scenes that weren't written that way as instances where they have fought to play it more subtley.
            I agree. Allowing the actors to change what was written has worked both ways. We know that in "Beneath the Surface" there was supposed to be a kiss but it was pulled out at the last minute. On the other hand in "Metamorphosis" it was AT's idea to rest her head on RDA's shoulder, something that was not in the script at all. And in "Divide and Conquer" there was written dialogue for when Jack and Sam were staring at each other on either side of the force field. The actors decided to eliminate the dialogue and go with their facial expressions. Those expressions said more than any words could have.

So when all is said and done, the actors have probably given us shippers more than they have taken away.
            Ship Nana

Comment

Works for me. Loki's gotta have more up his sleeve than a little unauthorized cloning.
              *Whenever the Opportunity Arises take it in Hand*

Comment

Powers, are you listening?
                See, here is another important part Thor could play!

Token ~

Comment

Thanks for the list! I'm writing them all down on post-its and saving them as remedies to all those yucky S8 spoilers!

Did you like "Something Worth HIding"? I'm saying TPTB could do worse! She should be a writer for the show.
                  I still miss Jack and Sam

Comment

Wow! Are you psychic? This is exactly how I feel as well. I told myself after X-Files I would never get this emotionally involved in a show again. (Chris Carter you *@##$%)! But...then I found SG-1 and in no time I was drawn in. I never read fanfic for X-Files but I can't seem to stay away from it for Stargate. I'm way too involved in these characters for my own good!

Comment

I'm curious about something. Since I didn't join online fandom until "Grace", I would like to know how shippy previous seasons' spoilers have been.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        Yes! And there doesn't 'always' have to be tension either!

Writer for Stargate #1 (ws1): "Okay, we've married them off, now what?"

Writer for Stargate #2 (ws2): "Uh, they live happily ever after?"

ws1: "Are you daft, man, we HAVE to have tension in the relationship or the viewers will get bored!"

ws2: "Oh, okay.... how about Sam gets a serious disease and almost dies?"

ws1: "Okay. Then what?"

ws2: "Uh, then Jack gets a serious disease and almost dies."

ws1: "Then what?"

ws2: *frowns* "Uh, another man is attracted to Sam and it makes Jack jealous."

ws1: "Then... "

ws2: "Then another woman is attracted to Jack and makes Sam jealous."

ws1: "I see a pattern here."

ws2: "The viewers won't."

ws1: "You're right."

ws2: "So then I'm thinking of having Jack get pregnant by an alien."

ws1: "Too far-fetched."

ws2: "So."

ws1: "True."

ws2: "Then, of course, Sam becomes pregnant by an alien, or so Sam and Jack will think."

ws1: *nods and grins*

ws2: "Then Sam will give birth and the alien will make Jack jealous while Sam almost dies."

ws1: "Wow, you got all our themes in there at once!"

ws2: "And the beauty of it is that the viewers will never catch on."

ws1: *nods*

K, done teasing at the writers expense.

Sally
                        Okay, fess up! You were the main writer on the X-Files, weren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mala50
                          Have to agree!

{Thanks to Jo R. for the original screencap from Beyond the Gate http://community.webshots.com/album/139143772fdbJhJ/1}

I like this photo - I think it's cute. And although AT and RDA might just be fooling around, I don't think that TPTB would put this shot on the DVD if they didn't want to encourage us!
                          Whoa--whoa---WHOA! This shot in on the DVD? Which DVD? Which season? How? When? Why? I almost fell out of my chair when I looked at that picture. Now I defy anyone to tell me they don't belong together!

Comment

Originally posted by mjj1993
                            Whoa--whoa---WHOA! This shot in on the DVD? Which DVD? Which season? How? When? Why? I almost fell out of my chair when I looked at that picture. Now I defy anyone to tell me they don't belong together!
                            It is from behind the scenes on the UK Series 7 Vol 35 DVD. Words cannot express the hotness of this picture.

Token ~

Comment

Originally posted by Token
                              Words cannot express the hotness of this picture.
                              No, and repeated inclusion on the thread couldn't hurt either

~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                                No, and repeated inclusion on the thread couldn't hurt either

Wow, Ship Daddy, you took the words right out of my mouth!! And that is hard to do since they are always stuffed with shipper cookies!!!
                                Ship Nana

Comment

Working...
                                X