This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The McCullough-Mitchell Effect

Avalon, Part I: Written by Robert C. Cooper. People enjoyed it.

Avalon, Part II: Written by Robert C. Cooper. People enjoyed it.

Origin, Part III: Written by Robert C. Cooper. People enjoyed it.

The Ties that Bind: Written by J. Mallozzi, and Paul Mullie. People enjoyed it.

The Powers That Be: Written by Martin Gero. People enjoyed it.

Beachhead: Written by Brad Wright. People loved it.

Ex Deus Machina: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. People enjoyed it.

Babylon: Written by Damian Kindler. First seeds of controversy, some liked it, and some didn’t.

Prototype: Written by Alan McMcCullough. People really liked it - however, this was the first time we saw “renegade Mitchell,” doing his own thing and pressing the button without being told.

The Fourth Horseman, Part I: Written by Damian Kindler. People generally liked it.

The Fourth Horseman, Part II: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Controversy - either really liked, or really hated. Not much in between.

Collateral Damage: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Controversy - either thought it was excellent, or hated it, based off of what people thought of Mitchell’s character. It was good, though, Mitchell wasn’t an idiot and we saw sides of him that we hadn’t before. Nice job.

Ripple Effect: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. People loved it. Akin to Window of Opportunity, some have said. Mitchell worked with the team to solve the problem, and it was good. Loads of Carter.

Stronghold: Written by Alan McMcCullough. Controversy: many people thought Mitchell acted rashly and stupidly towards the end. “Renegade Mitchell” again, and few people liked that.

Ethon: Written by Damian Kindler and Robert C. Cooper. People generally really liked it - this episode had a lot of emotional impact, and Mitchell wasn’t the star. Daniel got a lot to do, and Carter did that techno babble thing! Huzzah!

Off the Grid: Written by Alan McMcCullough. “Renegade Mitchell” does his thing and screws everyone over. Akin to Affinity in some ways, plot threads were forced together in an unusual way that didn’t feel quite right, and didn’t satisfy the viewer properly. Some team action towards the end, which was better than nothing, I guess.

This in mind, note that all instances of the pure, concentrated “Renegade Mitchell” appear in episodes written by Alan McMcCullough. His episodes were generally badly reviewed, with the exception of Prototype (because it was a true team episode).

Is it just me, or should we not let Alan McMcCullough write for Mitchell anymore? He drives the character into the ground in Off the Grid, and people didn’t like what he did in Stronghold.

Now, this is not an anti-Mitchell movement, nor is this an anti-Alan McCullough movement. Alan McMcCullough simply can’t write Mitchell very well. Other characters? Sure. He’s particularly good at Landry, and Ba’al is consistently amusing. Daniel is usually good in episodes he writes. Khalek was cool. Teal’c is good. Carter is good. But Mitchell? No.

Anyone see things the way I do?

I don't quite see it the way you do, but I do see a pattern.

Facinating...I say we give him one more shot at Mitch, and see what happens.

Comment

I didn't particulary like TTTB, and I know quite a few people who didn't like it either.
      Generalisations like that are only going you in trouble....

Comment

I think it's best if the thread starter were to refer to our opinions of Mitch in those episodes only.

Comment

The generalizations I made were based off of the reviews in the episode threads and the grades they recieved in the fan polls. Doesn't necessarily reflect the opinions of everyone, just most people that said something about the ep.

Comment

Shouldn't there be some general guidelines for writers about a character? Not extreme ones, but enough so that a character doesn't act too different from one writer to another. Some slight changes in what a writer focuses on - like if one writer wants to write more introspective stuff for Mitchell, he'll create stories that invite that. And, if another likes the action aspect of the character, they would do that. So, you'd see different aspects of the character depending on the writer, but there would be something to sort of tie it in. Like if one of Mitchell's traits is being easy going, a writer would have to give a really good reason to have him be intense.

I know, this is abstract, but the idea of not letting Alan Alan McMcCullough write Mitchell, because in some opinions he does it particularly badly just reminded me that the same argument has come up on another board about another show. Gilmore Girls, if you care. Some people feel the husband of the show's creator tends to write the main character really badly, and I again wonder how there's this disconnect between writers. There should be a general idea of who the character is that the writers can follow.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              Shouldn't there be some general guidelines for writers about a character? Not extreme ones, but enough so that a character doesn't act too different from one writer to another. Some slight changes in what a writer focuses on - like if one writer wants to write more introspective stuff for Mitchell, he'll create stories that invite that. And, if another likes the action aspect of the character, they would do that. So, you'd see different aspects of the character depending on the writer, but there would be something to sort of tie it in. Like if one of Mitchell's traits is being easy going, a writer would have to give a really good reason to have him be intense.

I know, this is abstract, but the idea of not letting Alan Alan McMcCullough write Mitchell, because in some opinions he does it particularly badly just reminded me that the same argument has come up on another board about another show. Gilmore Girls, if you care. Some people feel the husband of the show's creator tends to write the main character really badly, and I again wonder how there's this disconnect between writers. There should be a general idea of who the character is that the writers can follow.
              a good idea the guideline thing.
              This would prevent any character discordances.
              School is overrated.

Comment

let's remember please that Alan McCullough is a real person and the respect rule applies to him. Critique his work all you want, but leave the person alone.

Personal comments will be treated with a zero tolerance policy
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If the writers realize this themselves, maybe they'll let people co-author scripts with McCullough, have someone else do the Mitchell stuff. That could work.

Comment

Avalon, Part I: Written by Robert C. Cooper. Mary Sue Mitchell is his name and flying is his game. Two stars from me.

Avalon, Part II: Written by Robert C. Cooper. King Auther Mitchell, Does this mean he has the Ancient Gene too? Then lets make way for the 'Everyone Loves Daniel and Vala show'. For the love of Pete, Daniel stop touching things! Two stars from me again. Avalon interesting, but not explored quite as much as I would have liked to have seen.

Origin, Part III: Written by Robert C. Cooper. Is it Adam and Eve or Daniel and Vala? Three stars.

The Ties that Bind: Written by J. Mallozzi, and Paul Mullie. The only thing I found good about this epsidoe is that I got to see the little guy for the Princes Bride. Oh and who do we have here, the Allusion Alliance... hmm I guess we'll be seeing them again! One star

The Powers That Be: Written by Martin Gero. Daniel, you're talking to the wall. They don't care. Three stars, Vala's true colors emerge once more.

Beachhead: Written by Brad Wright. Ah! Sam, are you still on vacation, I figgured out what they were doing ten minutes into the epsiode. Three stars.

Ex Deus Machina: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Buildings disapearing... egh... Lots of Ba'al Clones oooooo, Stupid Jafa Council Booo, three stars for the many faces of Ba'al!

Babylon: Written by Damian Kindler. Last Samori, or Last Shaft? Hmmm... Though I think this was one of his best epsisodes. Three stars

Prototype: Written by Alan McMcCullough. The less then positive side of Daniel, for once he's not willing to negotiate! OOC or subcousious memories of being Ascended comming though here? Mitchell, don't act like Daniel! Don't press anything, look what happened to Sleeping Beauty, not a good idea. Two and a half stars.

The Fourth Horseman, Part I: Written by Damian Kindler. Hated the first scene, always a minority making the sextual comments... sterotypical! Orlin always creeped me out. Garak turning into a prior, interesting. Three stars

The Fourth Horseman, Part II: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Okay, so Daniel can hold all that ancient memory in his sub cousous, but Orlin who was an ancient can't... Good Teal'c and Garak scene. Three stars

Collateral Damage: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Not wise to star kissing an alien girl. Even if she doesn't want any cominitment. Stay in range of your team! Ugh! Too much like that one Voyager episode where Tom Paris was said to have killed that girl, and then they put her memories in his head. Two and a half stars. At least it kept me guessing on who actually did it.

Ripple Effect: Written by J. Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. Nice team work, the Janet and Martoff addition let me scraching my head. Nice to see her though should have been used more in the plot. Decent episode, though would our SG1 do what the other one did? Three and a half stars

Stronghold: Written by Alan McMcCullough. Gun ho Mitchell, Brain washed Jaffa. Mitchell side plot unnecessary, two stars

Ethon: Written by Damian Kindler and Robert C. Cooper. OMG establish a chain of command already, you lost Promie because of your incompetiance! Daniel, they are never going to learn! So annoying. Two stars

Off the Grid: Written by Alan McMcCullough. Not very believable... 20 hours captured and all they got was smaked around...? Introducing the new ship, and the locator devices could have all been their own epsiodes.

That's how I've seen this season on average 2 and a half stars... Mitchell gun ho towards the end, I wish his friend had gotten the job and not him.

Comment

I liked "Prototype" and I liked "Stronghold". Guess I'm one of the few.

As for folks getting worked up over "renegade" Mitchell, I think its still too early in character development. TPTB had to feel out the audience and see what worked and what didn't. I think we'll have a better idea of where they want to take Mitchell in season 10.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I liked Prototype and Stronghold, too. But, I don't think tptb should be trying on different things about Mitchell to see what the audience likes. They should know who the character is and write him accordingly. They're not going to be able to settle on a personality that everyone will like. So, instead of trying on different things and tossing them aside like shirts that aren't the right style, just know where they want him and write it. They should have a good idea of who Mitchell is now.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I liked all of the eps he has written, yes ALL of them, though I felt liek Mitchell was an ass in Off The Grid, but only in the first few scenes, after that it was pretty good. The only ep i really disliked this year was Beachead, and he didnt write that one.
                          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            I didn't particulary like TTTB, and I know quite a few people who didn't like it either.
                            Generalisations like that are only going you in trouble....
                            Hey AD, isn't saying "Generalisations like that are only going you in trouble" in itself a generalization?

Just kiddin'...you know I love ya babe.

Mary Beth (one of AD's friends who "didn't like TTTB either")

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I've liked all the episodes this season, with "Babylon" and "Off the Grid" probably being the weakest (but still enjoyable).

I don't pay much attention to who writes which episode, as they all have "hits and misses". I'm more concerned with whether or not I was entertained during my couch potato time.

Comment

Working...
                              X