Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else concerned about Drugs in SGA?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else concerned about Drugs in SGA?!

For along time now something about becket and mkcays professional relationship has bothered me, practically every time mkcay needs becket it is to give him drugs.
    throughout season 1 and 2 becket has been literally pouring stimulants in to mkcay; i have two issues with this.
    firtly why the hell does becket have enough stimulant drugs to liven a cucumber to make a ZPM.
    and is mckay a stimulant addict. im tlaking not just about the coffee but he has been on stimulant drugs for along time, be it pot in college, cafine, beckets precription fix's or a massive dose of wraith enzime his body seems to need some sort of help to keep itself at overdrive.
    should mkcay go to rehab? i think both becket, weir and sheppard need to address his stimulant uses, even if they do save atlantis, he could end up much worse in the long run.

anyone else a bit concerned
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Never noticed it.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I don't think that its to much of an issue.
      Spoiler:
      Remember how freaked out Rodney got when he found out he was taking the enzyme in the Lost Boys?

Comment

Hey, nice spot, but i cant see hem taking it anywhere. *greens immhotep*
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Actually I think the use of drugs in the series in general is actually pretty anti-drug. The reason Rodney was on stims in the Siege arch was because he literally couldn't *afford* to sleep. Personally I would hae loved to have seen a comment somewhere in Intruder about Rodney finally passing out. But thats just me.

The negative effects of Wraith Enzyme are pretty clear. Seeing what happens to Ford and his band of merry men. McKay nearly kills himself using the enzyme to escape.

The use of the iratus bug retrovirus has been nothing but a disaster from the start.

The only treatment that Beckett has come up with that has been positive so far as been the ATA gene theropy.

Comment

Beckett the drug dealer.

Comment

mckay being a wussy needs drugs.

Comment

Dude, I need Drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                  im tlaking not just about the coffee but he has been on stimulant drugs for along time, be it pot in college
                  McKay said he smoked pot once by accident, i'd hardly call that an addiction
                  "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

Comment

*Idea* To solve the world drug problem just give all the drugs to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyMckay
                      Beckett the drug dealer.
                      Hee. I can just see him standing in a dark corner trading drugs for coffee and chocolate. On the upside, everyone in Atlantis would be remarkably free of glaucoma.

The stimualnts in The Seige were given reluctantly as well. Beckett did take a second to warn him. And in The Hive, well, he wouldn't have been able to get past the gaurds, who were also on Wraith!crack. And, as Jumper One mentioned, he was pretty upset.

Spoilers up to and including "Michael:"
                      Spoiler:

Still, I really don't see it being an issue. One thing that Teyla said in The Hive stuck with me, something like "If I wasn't on these drugs I might not think it was good idea." I see Atlantis as beeing pretty anti-drug too. The drugs seem to have concequences (the stimulants in The Seige being the exception, which I was kinda irked about), from Ford's eye and attitude re-adjustment, to McKay almost killing himself, to Shep's transformation, to the disaster that was Michael.

If you have anymore specific examples, I'd be interested. I'm pretty sure Rodney is just your run of the mill coffee addict, though.

*~S.T.A.K.S.~*~LiveJournal Leik Woah~*

"Dosmrti, dosmrti na to nezapomenu."

Comment

i still think it is a bit irrisposible to show a doctor giving out drugs just to get you through a tough day.
                        should i go and ask my doctor for something next time i have an exam?
                        Mckay has been on stimulents for along time, im not saying this is an addiction but if keep going it might become one, as a doctor i think becket needs to have a checkup on how far is too far.
                        sigpic
                        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                        Stargate : Genesis |
                        Original Starship DesignThread
                        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                          i still think it is a bit irrisposible to show a doctor giving out drugs just to get you through a tough day.
                          should i go and ask my doctor for something next time i have an exam?
                          If your exam is going to save my life and the life of everyone I know, then yes you should.

Mckay has been on stimulents for along time, im not saying this is an addiction but if keep going it might become one, as a doctor i think becket needs to have a checkup on how far is too far.
                          I really don't think we're there yet and given the nature of SG I really doubt that we'll ever be, even though that particular twist would be an interesting arc and add some needed depth.

I think you may be overreacting. I don't think the writers have thought much about it at all; it was a device that furthered the plot. When it comes down to it, they have a tendency to disregard certain aspects that could carry over into each episode and stick only to the story of the day or the evil enemy arc. They haven't shown much interest previously in lasting personal drama of that sort.

It wouldn't be a bad thing if your wish came true but I'm not holding my breath.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

You know.........

Atlantis would be a great place to stash some pot.

I just realized that.

Comment

McKay is also hypoglycemic, so it's understandable that he'd need some form of drugs. Either that or he can eat a Mars every few minutes, in which case this thread would be about obesity in SGA
                              First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Working...
                              X