This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth Supergate

The Ori tried to create their own supergate. In order to do this, they needed the energy of the nearby black whole. What if we could expand the matter stream once a worm hole is established. We could send ships through. Once the ship gets through on one end that gate goes to regular size. It wouldn't require a whole lot more energy cause the stream only expands around the ship. Before and after the matter stream would be smaller to conserve energy. Think about it. I don't know if a wormhole works like that. I imagine it like a flow of water that can be expanded and contracted.

There are a couple things I have to point out here. One, the Stargate doesn't work like I think you think it works. No offence or anything, I know not everyone spends every waking hour thinking about the science behind the Stargate (cough)me(cough) (lol). You are suggesting that you expand the matter stream, like the size of the matter stream is what is preventing us from sending ships through. This is not the case, when matter travels into the event horizon it is dematerialized, it is converted into energy, it doesn't matter how big or small the original matter was because now it is energy. So the problem with expanding the wormhole is that it is completely unecesary and would likely take even more power in the process. Two: What we would need to do to send through ships is expand the size of the event horizon, and therefore the stargate itself. This would not be difficult, you just make it bigger, it wouldn't take any more or less energy than usual other than perhaps to dematerialize the matter, but that is just because there is more matter. With regular operation it wouldn't take any more power.

Three: The reason the Ori needed a black hole to power their supergate was not because of it's physical size but because of the distance they were travelling. They needed the black hole to power a continuous eight chevron lock for God knows how long.

So we wouldn't need to enlarge the wormhole to send through larger matter, we would just need to enlarge the event horizon, to allow for dematerialization of larger amounts of matter. The only thing I can think of that might need to be altered are the so called "pattern buffers" the reason I didn't bring this up before is because it is a contraversial topic in Stargate science, the writers have not even been close to acurate with this, sometimes it has one sometimes it doesn't sometimes it's sort of a pattern buffer and sort of not. If the Stargate does have a pattern buffer we may need to increase it's virtual size, to accomadate the more information be sent into it. The stargate's pattern buffer likely has a limit sufficiently greater than one person or even a puddle jumper for saftey reasons, but if you created a supergate, you could potentially overload the buffer.

Was that clear?

It's great that you ask these kinds of questions, a lot of people don't know anything about the science behind the Stargate, and these questions help them learn, and knowledge is power.

Comment

somewhat, well then to another idea. We store a batteship in something the size of a puddle jumper. (Using wraith scanner and storage crystals, or something. Maybe that would work.

Comment

And take it through the gate in the puddle jumper? Absolutely, as long as you had a large enough storage medium, it would be possible. Or even directly beaming the ship through using advanced asgard beaming technology, it would be difficult with Asgard beams, but still possible.

Comment

I think that they meant to say that you want what you're sending throught the stargate to be able to fit throught the stargate.

Best Stargate quote:
          Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
          Green is your friend.

Comment

keep the ideas coming this is a good thread. good reading

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Originally posted by hypergate
              somewhat, well then to another idea. We store a batteship in something the size of a puddle jumper. (Using wraith scanner and storage crystals, or something. Maybe that would work.

actually, this would work. not so in that respect, but same idea. just not using the wrait tech. but asgaurd transporter tech. have a gate, in orbit around the two planets. on both sides have an Asgard transport facility. so that they can communicate between. have a group of ships outside the sending gate. have the asgard transport facility transport it trough the gate.. (its just an energy beam once the thing is in the memory buffer) and send it to the other gate, the reccing asgard transport facility. and then it will rematerailze it on the other side.

this would require a large ammount of energy to transport. but if you think about it, it is possible. in the one episode, they transported en entire bulding into space. . im sure with a lareger energy source, they could transport an entire ship trough the gate
              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

I think I said that above but yes. Other than the fact it would require much more energy. It would require more energy but only because it has to dematerialize more matter. But I don't think it would havea significant impact on the power requirements.

Comment

I understand the whole stargate matter stream thing but who says thats how wormholes work. I thought the matter stream was to safely transport people through a wormhole. I dont see if you have a space craft why you would need a matterstream for the wormhole.
                  Therefore all you need to do is create a large enough stable wormhole for the ship to go through which may or may not need a gate at each end.

Comment

the one problem with that is how it was described is without the gate to rematerliaze things they would go to their base state. We'd be turned into carbon, oyxgen, and so on. A ship would be turned into base plastics, trinium, and naqueda. the structure of the ship would not be intact. Also without a gate to regulate energy to the wormhole who knows where the hell we'd end up. We couldn't control it very well.

Comment

Originally posted by hypergate
                      the one problem with that is how it was described is without the gate to rematerliaze things they would go to their base state. We'd be turned into carbon, oyxgen, and so on. A ship would be turned into base plastics, trinium, and naqueda. the structure of the ship would not be intact. Also without a gate to regulate energy to the wormhole who knows where the hell we'd end up. We couldn't control it very well.
                      I thought that was only after the gate dematerialised them first. I cant remember the exact wording tho and its possible the producers are trying introduce in to the show tech that all wormholes dematerialise matter which seems unlikely. But its there story so they make the scifi rules.

Comment

It definately does dematerialise anything passing through it. It was either in the pilot episodes or the movie, they said "dematerialising MALP".

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com
                        Originally posted by Unnamed due to Risk of Offending person
                        the processor of the gate thats what it is in plainsmen therm
                        Strangest thing Iv read on the forum so far!

And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down, shall be laid low and made unto dust.

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
                        The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Working...
                        X