This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir & McKay

Ever since the pilot episode I've got the sense that McKay and Weir have known each other before the Atlantis expedition. Anybody got any ideas about the backstory?

Outside of the Stargate programme (the military programme, not the show ? Both Weir and McKay were involved in the stargate well before Atlantis was discovered (McKay's first appearance was what, SG-1 S6?). He also regularly makes reference to his research work at Area 51 on gate technology, so perhaps they do know each other.
    First, please use spoiler tags. If I want to know what happens in the show I'll watch it. Second, if you don't like the show, stop watching it. That way you won't feel the need to complain that a sci-fi entertainment show has "plot holes" or "isn't realistic". There is a difference between commenting on an episode you didn't like and constantly complaining about the series as a whole. After all, why torture yourself by watching something you don't like...

Comment

Simply in 'Rising', Weir states that she has been picking her team for the Atlantis expediton for months previously.

So since McKay is an expert on technology, then it's only natural that he was in the outpost from the beginning. The same would go for Weir because she was a diplomat & had negotiated with various countries in the past. Then with it being an international expediton, having her in charge gives the US control of it, while to the others making it seem like they have relinquished control a little by giving the leadership role to a civillian, that's not affiliated in any way to the US military. This makes it easier for the other countries to accept.

Therefore, both were in from the beginning & so had months working together in the outpost before 'Rising' came about.

Comment

McKay had been working on the Stargate program for years prior to "Rising." His first appearance on SG-1 was in Season 5's "48 Hours" in which Teal'c became trapped in the SGC gate's buffer. His arrogance and pettiness were meant to be adversarial in that episode, he was kind of (and I stress kind of) the villain and antithesis to Sam.

Now his arrogance and pettiness are meant to be endearing traits, because he continually rises above them (personally, I've always liked the arrogant jerk character).

Anyway, Weir had no idea the Stargate program existed until Season 7's "Lost City Part 1." The newly-inaugurated President chose Dr. Weir to be the new head of the SGC after he basically bowed to internal political pressure placed on him by then Vice-President Kinsey. Of course, Kinsey's aim was to have General Hammond and the entire crew at the SGC fired (and you get the sense from the prior episode "Inauguration" that he wanted the President assassinated) so that he could run the Stargate program the way he always wanted.

Thankfully Anubis' attack forced both the President and Dr. Weir to realize that the SGC had been in good hands the whole time. Kinsey "resigned" his position as VP and the rest is Stargate history.

Seeing as how their fields are very different, I doubt that McKay and Weir met before Weir joined the SGC. Since there's no way in Hell that Jack would have let Sam leave on the Atlantis expedition, McKay was the natural choice to be Weir's top scientist (it helps that he's apparently fluent in Ancient).

Comment

mckay was sent to russia for a few years before returning

Comment

The thing is McKay has always treated Weir very differently from anyone else. He's always deferental to her orders, always listens to her arguments, and she's one of the few people who can interrupt him in mid-rant and live to tell about it.

He doesn't even treat Sam Carter (a woman he professes to hold a deep attraction for) that way.
            sigpic
            http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Hmm...I bet the SHIPPER threads have a take on this...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes
                The thing is McKay has always treated Weir very differently from anyone else. He's always deferental to her orders, always listens to her arguments, and she's one of the few people who can interrupt him in mid-rant and live to tell about it.

He doesn't even treat Sam Carter (a woman he professes to hold a deep attraction for) that way.
                Well I am not a shipper, I just think he actually respects her. I know it is hard to believe but there it is, either that or she really isn't his type so he finds it easy to get along with her, he also seems to get along fairly well with Teyla IMO. No still not a shipper.

I have wondered if maybe it is a writers conundrum, they can't have him like he was in SG-1, because that would wear very thin, and they have Kavanaugh for that anyway. I personally think they have swung too far to the comic relief side of his character now. Bring back the full on snark. Sorry OT rant.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                  Well I am not a shipper, I just think he actually respects her. I know it is hard to believe but there it is, either that or she really isn't his type so he finds it easy to get along with her, he also seems to get along fairly well with Teyla IMO. No still not a shipper.
                  See, the question is why does he respect her so much, especially at the start of the show in Rising? Given all we've seen of Rodney in 48 Hours and Redemption, he's blunt and frank with no time for tact or care for feelings. And yet he definitly treats Weir differently right from the beginning.

I'm not saying this as a shipper, but as someone who likes the idea of History between the two characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

See, the question is why does he respect her so much, especially at the start of the show in Rising? Given all we've seen of Rodney in 48 Hours and Redemption, he's blunt and frank with no time for tact or care for feelings. And yet he definitly treats Weir differently right from the beginning.

I'm not saying this as a shipper, but as someone who likes the idea of History between the two characters.
                    -------------

From http://www.david-hewlett.co.uk Quoting Interview from Cult Times #120 (link (I'm not too sure what the rules on quoting articles are~ )

Originally posted by David Hewlett
                    “In the Atlantis pilot [Rising] I didn’t have much to do, and the character’s voice felt rather strange because it was originally written as a different person. He was, in fact, supposed to be an African-American astrophysicist named Ingram.
                    And maybe they just went with the 'respect' relationship from then on. But he does seem to get on with her compared to all the other women we have seen so far. Teyla too, but they don't really interact as much (and let's not forget his 'Xena' remark lol.)

Comment

See, the question is why does he respect her so much, especially at the start of the show in Rising?
                      Weir has a natural ability to see the real person behind the masks that is put on. I think that people can sense this, including McKay, and for that reason tend to be somewhat more subdued around her. You can tell from the start that she has a good heart and wants what is best for all....it simply shows through in her interactions with people. She just has that look and presence that seems to demand respect, without actually demanding it from people.

Weir also supports those under her command and gives them the chance to shine. She has basically given McKay a chance. He is the lead scientist on one of the most important expeditions.....why?.....because Weir chose him. I think McKay realizes that Weir can see in him what others do not. She is also not dissmissive of him. She listens to him, and often times without harsh judgement. She has a calming effect on most people and it would seem so with McKay as well.

Comment

mckay's a wuss.

weir's hot

Comment

Originally posted by annalouise
                          -------------

From http://www.david-hewlett.co.uk Quoting Interview from Cult Times #120 (link (I'm not too sure what the rules on quoting articles are~ )
                          It doesn't matter who the lines were intended for. Rodney McKay spoke them and Elizabeth Weir answered. That's canon. The easy-going relationship that started in Rising has only been added to since
                          sigpic

Comment

It doesn't matter who the lines were intended for. Rodney McKay spoke them and Elizabeth Weir answered. That's canon. The easy-going relationship that started in Rising has only been added to since

Of course. However, if they lines were originally intended for someone else, it may explain why the writers decided to keep the respect values, opposed to a more antagonistic relationship that McKay has with... just about everybody else.

Comment

I'm sure David Hewlett said that the lines from the Pilot were rewritten during filming.
                              Anyway, in the way that McKay and Weir talk to each other it suggests a closeness. He behaves differently with her compared to EVERYBODY else. Why is he so calm and respectful with her? Because he doesn't have to be!
                              Wish the writers could put in one scene someday to explain that backstory.

Comment

Working...
                              X