PDA

View Full Version : Custom Doctor Who DVD Covers

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
February 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM
This thread is for displaying and discussing custom DVD cover designs for Doctor Who. If you would like to share some of your designs or just comment on what others have posted, this is the place to do it.

My Design Philosophy for the Covers
Although I liked the Region 1 and Region 2 covers, I preferred to design my own. I have a different philosophy about cover design for the series.

The style should evoke a feeling of that era with backgrounds and logos. In the case of the B&W episodes, color tone was more important than the base color.

The front cover should simple: the logo, the title, and a single large picture to draw one's interest.

The back cover should show a series of television clips, the summary, cast & crew, and other descriptions.

The spine of the cover should contain the title, a couple reference numbers for quick sorting, and the image of a companion in that story.

Tools
I used Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop to design the backgrounds and logos.
Then I laid out the cover with Adobe InDesign.

Selected Covers
Attached is a sample of a cover from each era.

04C The Power of the Daleks represents my designs for Seasons 1 through 4.
06B The Mind Robber represents my designs for Seasons 5 & 6.
10B The Carnival of Monsters represents my designs for Seasons 7 through 10.
13C Pyramids of Mars represents my designs for Seasons 11 through 17.
19D The Visitation represents my designs for Seasons 18 through 23.
26C The Curse of Fenric represents my designs for Seasons 24 through 26.
27A The Enemy Within is my design for the 1996 Movie.

Metarock Sam
February 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Wow these covers are very good. However I still prefer the region 2 format. I love roundels !!!

creed462
February 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM
They do look good

February 10th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Wow these covers are very good. However I still prefer the region 2 format. I love roundels !!!Thanks. :) I like the roundels in the Region 2 and the black of the Region 1.

They do look goodThanks. :)

February 18th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I should have probably mentioned that I wouldn't mind any criticisms of my cover designs as well.

The hardest part was finding good quality images. That was the most disappointing part in many cases...the lack of image selection.

Metarock Sam
February 19th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Well no offence but they arent the best ive seen I mean the whole circular picture at the front just doesnt do it for me.

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
I like them, they are pretty good. However, I still prefer the Region 2 covers, I like the uniformity, the roundals and the bit at the bottom with the doctor on it. I do commend your design however for fitting them in with the new series covers.

Rowana
February 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
I like them. :) Very well done!

February 19th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Well no offence but they arent the best ive seen I mean the whole circular picture at the front just doesnt do it for me.I'm not offended. I just wanted your honest opinion. Art is subjective.

IMO, I like focusing the front cover on a single element, although not necessarily with a circle. I simply used a circle to allow me to see more of the background.

My main source of frustration was a lack of decent images. Very difficult to make good covers without good images from that story.

Now, IMO my covers are better than many Region 2 and most Region 1 covers. But that's only my opinion.

Now here's my question to you...how what kind of layout would you have preferred? In other words, how could I have made it better? Or is it just so bad, that I should start from scratch in your opinion?

February 19th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I like them, they are pretty good. Thanks. :)

However, I still prefer the Region 2 covers, I like the uniformity, the roundals and the bit at the bottom with the doctor on it. Yeah, I do like those aspects of the Region 2 covers myself.

I do commend your design however for fitting them in with the new series covers.Wow, I never thought of that!

The cloud backgrounds were created in Photoshop, using the Clouds Filter.
The star backgrounds were also created in Photoshop.

Seasons 7 through 26 were supposed to look somewhat like the opening sequence, at least color-wise. In the opening sequence, the title is in the center, which I couldn't do for the cover, so I gave up trying to reproduce the exact cloud designs. Also, the colors changed rapidly in the opening sequence, so I just picked a color.

Seasons 1 through 6 were B&W, I just picked cloud colors I didn't use in the other seasons.

It all made sense then, but maybe I'll try making new backgrounds to see if I can bring it closer to the series.

I reproduced the logos as best I could in Illustrator. That was probably the best part of the whole darn thing.

February 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I like them. :) Very well done!Thank you. :)
But please don't feel like you have to hold back any criticism.

Part of the reason I posted them was for people to give an honest critique.

Now after reading some of the comments, I'm thinking about trying something different.

And remember...anyone else can post their designs here too.

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
It's not direct feedback, but the better Region 2 covers are not just a screen shot from an episode, they are a wonderfully put together selection of images, but not quite to the extent as the Region 1 covers. The Genesis Of the Daleks cover is a prime example.

February 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM
It's not direct feedback, but the better Region 2 covers are not just a screen shot from an episode, they are a wonderfully put together selection of images, but not quite to the extent as the Region 1 covers. The Genesis Of the Daleks cover is a prime example.Maybe I should experiment with that.

I happen to have the exact opposite opinion. I liked The Robots of Death and Spearhead from Space covers more than Genesis of the Daleks.

Good job creating that cover image for Genesis of the Daleks, though.

However, I felt the rectangular image didn't always work in every Region 2 cover. In the case of The Robots of Death, the background behind the robot was painted a shade of "blah". Maybe I could experiment with removing such backgrounds.

And I felt the roundels worked better on the back cover.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Not bad I like the circle images, except for Pirimids of Mars and The mind Robber I thought the picture you chose fit the ep.

February 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Not bad I like the circle images, except for Pirimids of Mars and The mind Robber I thought the picture you chose fit the ep.Thanks. :)

Well, my Pyramid of Mars cover did have a pyramid, but what kind of image do you think would have fit better? I have a lot of images to choose from for that particular story.

For The Mind Robber, I didn't want to give away the identity of the bad guy. Do you think I should have put the Master of the Land of Fiction on the cover? Or perhaps another image?

Typically, I avoid putting the villains on the cover if I think it might spoil the surprise.

Now if any monster or villain is introduced in full view in the first few minutes of the story, I'll put them right on the front cover.

If their name is in the title and it isn't their first appearance, I'll put them on the front cover.

Last night, I was working on my cover for An Unearthly Child and I couldn't find a good picture of Susan for the spine, but I found a good image of her for the front cover. I normally don't use main characters for the front cover, but in this case, the story title was referencing her. Very frustrating when you can't find the images you need.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I would have put Sutek on the front of PoM, but seeing you are trying to keep from spoilers I might do one of the sceens from mars, I really have to see the availible pictures to make a decideion.

February 19th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I would have put Sutek on the front of PoM, but seeing you are trying to keep from spoilers I might do one of the sceens from mars, I really have to see the availible pictures to make a decideion.The interior shots on Mars are good quality but they are all pre-production shots, meaning the blue screens show up in every image. In other words, they're useless.

I have one exterior shot of the TARDIS on Mars, but it doesn't really say anything. In fact, I used it on the back cover because it is still pretty dramatic.

Attached is a version with Sutekh on the front.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Thar perty cool, Go with it if you don't mind the spoiler factor

Easter Lily
February 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
This thread is for displaying and discussing custom DVD cover designs for Doctor Who. If you would like to share some of your designs or just comment on what others have posted, this is the place to do it.
They're splendid DASP... :)
I like the circular feature photo... It works like a kind of spotlight.
Although I like the R4 covers... it doesn't mean fans can't have a bit fun.

February 27th, 2006, 05:31 AM
They're splendid DASP... :)
I like the circular feature photo... It works like a kind of spotlight.
Although I like the R4 covers... it doesn't mean fans can't have a bit fun.Thanks. :)

creed462
February 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM
maybe a pic of the doc in the apparatise for the mind ripper

March 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
maybe a pic of the doc in the apparatise for the mind ripperOkay, this was the only image I could find like that.

Do you think this image is better? It certainly fits the story title better.

March 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Okay, I attempted to do a New Series version of the Classic Series Region 2 covers, specifically Series 1 Volume 1 for Rose, The End of the World, and The Unquiet Dead.

I had to cheat on some of the fonts.
Some were painted.
Others were approximately selected.

I had to make the background bigger to show the detail of the wall, otherwise all that work I did layering textures and lighting turned into a cartoony mess of colors, lines, and interference patterns.

I also cheated on the back cover. I took elements from The Five Doctors back cover and copied them, so there would be some text description (albeit for the wrong story).

In any case, this was supposed to be a sample of what it might look like.
(Yes, I know it's supposed to be rated 12, not U, but this is just a sample.)

To be quite honest, I'm really not sure about this. The hexagons seem to clash with the other elements.

[EDIT: I just removed the attachment to reclaim some space.]

Flyboy
March 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Call me crazy, but I think it looks really good. My only quarm is the hexagon/roundels. I think that they need the darkness and tone of the actual Tardis interior, and to possibly be the same size as the roundels on the classic covers. But otherwise, them picture, logo, screen caps, labels and everything, looks absolutely brilliant.

Like I said, if the background for the roundels was darker, and they had a less flat colour, I think it would be spot on.

Well done!

March 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Call me crazy, but I think it looks really good. My only quarm is the hexagon/roundels. I think that they need the darkness and tone of the actual Tardis interior, and to possibly be the same size as the roundels on the classic covers. But otherwise, them picture, logo, screen caps, labels and everything, looks absolutely brilliant.

Like I said, if the background for the roundels was darker, and they had a less flat colour, I think it would be spot on.

Well done!Well, that's the problem. All the work I did applying tone, doesn't show up as I made it smaller.

And when I made the background darker, the texture caused are all sorts of problems at various sizes.

It was very difficult for me to get a combination of colors, lighting, and textures to work this well at this size.

As far as the flat colors...look closely...I put a lot of detail into those hexs and roundels.
You can only barely see it at its current size. *Sigh* What a waste of time that turned out to be.

To be honest, I don't like the choices of colors I was limited to.
I don't like the geometries of the shapes.
I don't like the fonts.
I don't like how all the elements clash on every level.

But at least we got an idea how it would look.

Metarock Sam
March 6th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Wow DASP its great. The only problem I have is that the yellow background clashes with the logo. Perhaps you could make the background a little green or something?

Flyboy
March 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Well, that's the problem. All the work I did applying tone, doesn't show up as I made it smaller.

And when I made the background darker, the texture caused are all sorts of problems at various sizes.

It was very difficult for me to get a combination of colors, lighting, and textures to work this well at this size.

As far as the flat colors...look closely...I put a lot of detail into those hexs and roundels.
You can only barely see it at its current size. *Sigh* What a waste of time that turned out to be.

To be honest, I don't like the choices of colors I was limited to.
I don't the geometries of the shapes.
I don't like the fonts.
I don't like how all the elements clash on every level.

But at least we got an idea how it would look.
Not a waste at all, I still maintain you did a bloody good job and I'm VERY impressed. Do you by any chance have it at normal size?

March 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Not a waste at all, I still maintain you did a bloody good job and I'm VERY impressed. Do you by any chance have it at normal size?Yes, but I have no way to transfer files that large.

creed462
March 6th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Okay, this was the only image I could find like that.

Do you think this image is better? It certainly fits the story title better.
That is better

March 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Okay, I managed to get the colors, textures, and lighting adjusted.

Now the tones showed up when I shrunk the roundels and give the illusion of depth.

The colors no longer clash.

The lighting enhances the colors and textures instead of drowning them out.

One problem, all that detail made the file huge.

I had to sacrifice some quality just so I could make the maximum file size requirement to post it.

In any case, this cover is far better than the first.
Now I'm happy with the results. :D

March 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
On The Mind Robber cover...

That is betterYeah, I agree with you. That image works better. Thanks for the input.

Flyboy
March 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Now THAT is FANTASTIC! :D

March 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Now THAT is FANTASTIC! :DThank you.
The challenge was met and DASP has redeemed himself.

Flyboy
March 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Congratulations! :)

creed462
March 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
for the new seris one the second is better

Metarock Sam
March 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Well done DASP this is certainly better than the previous one. It is infact brilliant !!!

March 7th, 2006, 12:12 PM
for the new seris one the second is better

Well done DASP this is certainly better than the previous one. It is infact brilliant !!!Thanks, folks.

They are both using the same background...just resized with the lighting and textures adjusted.

Made a big difference once I figured it out.

creed462
March 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
you're welcome