Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9th Doctor Books - Childish or Good Novels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9th Doctor Books - Childish or Good Novels?

Well the title says it all.

8th Doctor and previous incarnations all came in a more adult paperback form, with deeper stories. The new books however, are in a printed hardback (ie no cover) and have more simplistic stories. But for those of you who have read both, what do you think of the 9th Doctor books?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

They arent great, but hey they're something i suppose. The plots are a little thin and I dont know about you, but the way the ninth doctor is in the book is not how he is in the show IMO
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I've read two of the Ninth Doctor novels (Only Human and The Deviant Strain; am currently reading Stealers of Dreams). Of the older novels, I've about 75 % of the Fifth Doctor novels (both the Virgin and BBC books). I much, much prefer the Virgin and BBC books, simply because they're geared towards a more adult audience. The stories are much darker.

But more importantly, the writers are clearly more familiar with the Fifth Doctor, and I'm sure that's the case with all the other pre-Ninth Doctor novels, as well. IIRC, the Ninth Doctor novels, certainly the first three, were written before any episodes had aired, and possibly the latter three, as well. The writers were given the scripts to get acquainted with the characters, but the characterizations are just a bit off sometimes.

And then there's the money issue: I can buy (most of) the older novels on eBay for a pound. The BBC Ninth Doctor hardcovers are just way overpriced (why do they make them hardcovers, anyway!?), and they're shorter, too.

I won't buy the first three Ninth Doctor novels, and I probably won't buy the Tenth Doctor novels unless I find them on sale somewhere months after they've been released.

Comment

IMO I feel that the 9th Doctor books are a touch childish. I prefer my DW books to be a bit on the darker side. I've got all of the new books (Xmas prezzies) but I've only read 2, and really don't feel like reading the others. I do feel that they are aimed at a younger audience, my 9 yr old has read them all and loved them.

Comment

Working...
        X