This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does everyone think Ori > ancients?

Ok someone please explain to me this... I have been reading alot of these posts in the Sci and Tech and alot of people seem to have this really twisted idea that the Ori tech is better then the ancients tech 10,000 years ago...

what in gods name are you people thinking?

I can name at least 4 episodes in SG-1 and Atlantis (combined) where they say "The ancients where at the most advanced that any being could have been and shedded there phisical body to live as pure energy" The Ancients where the most advanced race to ever enhabit the stars.... They got to the absolute max that any phisical being could have gotten too inteligence/sci wise and became ascended.... Sooo basicly if the galaxy smarts where on a scale of 1 - 15, 15 being the absolute smartest you could ever be and 1 being humans when we still looked like monkeys... 15 was what the Ancients where before they Ascended... you cant go any higher then 15... thats the max before you ascend... soo why in gods name would the Ori tech be better then the ancients regardless of 10,000 years it doesnt matter there is no higher then 15 and the Ancients where at 15 before they ascended. Granted the Ori might have learned some new things when they became Ascended it still wouldnt be significant enough to surpase 15!! I would put the Asgard at 11 and hopefully furlings at a 12 and a half

Cave people of P3X-119, 1-2

Earth, 6-7

Goauld, 9 and a half

Wraith, 10

Nox, 11

Asgard, 11 and a half

Furlings, 12 and a half

Ori soldiers, 13-14!

Ancients tech left 10,000 years ago, 15

Flame me all you want but thats where my feelings stand!

See Jaffa are Crazy! (pic of a Tia food place in the US of A )

The Ancients were highly physically evolved, as well as having powerful technology. That doesn't mean there wasn't more to learn before they ascended. The planet with the experimental power source is an example of that, it's something they just couldn't get right before they died/ascended.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

bah I dont know man... I mean even in modern day thinking there are limits to everything... there is only so far you can go

Comment

I believe it was a case of a lot done, a lot more to do. They hadn't even invented transporter technology.

Comment

Aren't the Ori allowed to pass on their ascended knowledge to their followers in their own galaxy? That way they could build more advanced technology than the Ancients had when they ascended.

The Ori are only stopped if they directly take action in MW.

Comment

yah but what I am saying is if the ancients where that advanced before they ascended and traved most of the stars before they all ascended then how much more could they learn even if they are acended.... i mean most of the stuff they learned while acended they already knew before they ascended.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
              yah but what I am saying is if the ancients where that advanced before they ascended and traved most of the stars before they all ascended then how much more could they learn even if they are acended.... i mean most of the stuff they learned while acended they already knew before they ascended.
              What evidence do you have to support this?

All the Ancients do is saying how insignificant our galaxy and our understanding of how the universe works is.

We only have evidence of the Ancients being in their home galaxy, MW and Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
                Ok someone please explain to me this... I have been reading alot of these posts in the Sci and Tech and alot of people seem to have this really twisted idea that the Ori tech is better then the ancients tech 10,000 years ago...

what in gods name are you people thinking?

I can name at least 4 episodes in SG-1 and Atlantis (combined) where they say "The ancients where at the most advanced that any being could have been and shedded there phisical body to live as pure energy" The Ancients where the most advanced race to ever enhabit the stars.... They got to the absolute max that any phisical being could have gotten too inteligence/sci wise and became ascended.... Sooo basicly if the galaxy smarts where on a scale of 1 - 15, 15 being the absolute smartest you could ever be and 1 being humans when we still looked like monkeys... 15 was what the Ancients where before they Ascended... you cant go any higher then 15... thats the max before you ascend... soo why in gods name would the Ori tech be better then the ancients regardless of 10,000 years it doesnt matter there is no higher then 15 and the Ancients where at 15 before they ascended. Granted the Ori might have learned some new things when they became Ascended it still wouldnt be significant enough to surpase 15!! I would put the Asgard at 11 and hopefully furlings at a 12 and a half

Cave people of P3X-119, 1-2

Earth, 6-7

Goauld, 9 and a half

Wraith, 10

Nox, 11

Asgard, 11 and a half

Furlings, 12 and a half

Ori soldiers, 13-14!

Ancients tech left 10,000 years ago, 15

Flame me all you want but thats where my feelings stand!
                I'm getting the impression that you seem to believe that once a race reaches a technological level they become ascended like there's a limit of how far you can go then you become an ascended being.

Sorry but that's not the case if it were then Daniel Jackson wouldn't have been able to Ascend and Anubis definatly wouldn't!

Yes they have been refered to as the most advanced race on several occasions but not since the arrival of the Ori in season 9 to my knowledge......

Comment

The Ori ascended, they know everything about the Universe, apart from what the Ancients sheilded from them, ofcourse their tech is going to be more advanced than the ancients 10,000 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                    The Ori ascended, they know everything about the Universe, apart from what the Ancients sheilded from them, ofcourse their tech is going to be more advanced than the ancients 10,000 years ago...
                    Wrong.

Almost everytime someone has explained the process of ascending, or describing an ascended being the term "greater understanding of the universe" is used. Simply because you have a greater understanding of something, doesn't mean you know everything about it.

Understand that the following is a simple analogy. A model, if you will.

You've graduated from high school, you have a basic understanding of history. You go to college and major in history. You get a BA in history, you have a greater understanding of history, but you don't know everything about history.
                    Last edited by Bragi; 07 February 2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

The Ascended Ori and the Ascended Ancients are likely on par, possibly with the Ancients being slightly better (They were able to shield the Milky Way from detection)

But the Ascended Ori are definetly greater than any pre-ascended Ancients.

Upon ascention, the Ori have access to the universe's deepest and darkest secrets. (Look at what was hidden in Daniel Jackson's mind!) They can communicate what they have learned to their followers. The Ancients never had ascended beings telling them how to build superweapons.
                      sigpic

Comment

I dont know everyone... I think there is only Sooo far you can go tech. and inteligence wise. As you all have said the ascended Ori have more knowlage then the Ancients before they Ascended but still man I cant see how the Ori tech would be that much more crazy then the Ancients before they Ascended... if it was true how could they go any more with the story arc? what would be the point? It would just be "Ori come to this galaxy, Ori kill everyone, Our tech cant do anything, Ori win. Good Game Stargate"

Comment

It's possable (even tho our tech is crap compared to that used by the Ori) we might be able to fight them on our terms thus balancing out the order of battle. History is full of battles and wars where and technologically inferior faction has beaten a superior one by simply refusing to fight the more advanced faction on its terms. Vietnam being the best example.

Comment

There's always more to learn. Also keep in mind that even in thier home galaxy, human's aren't very advanced. They still might be sort of limited by what their followers can build and operate.
                            "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by V-MAN
                              History is full of battles and wars where and technologically inferior faction has beaten a superior one by simply refusing to fight the more advanced faction on its terms. Vietnam being the best example.
                              Most revolutions in world history have similar examples, like the US Revolution.

Spoiler info, highlight to read:

Hell, we didn't even beat the Goa'uld. The Replicators pretty much did that for us, and it took us, the Goa'uld, and the Asgard to figure out how to take the Replicators down.

Likely the defeat of the Ori will take a lot of work by a lot of different races. Us, the Asgard, the Jaffa/Sodan, the Ori's own enslaved humans, hell maybe even the Tok'ra will get into this (although I just don't see a way for them, storywise, to get involved). It might not even be us ultimately, but the Ancients deciding to clean up their own mess for once.

We have at least one more season to find out, and depending on how things go, maybe another two or three.

Comment

Working...
                              X