This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 sidearms

Sg-1 first started the show with the standard HK Mp5's, then switched to the P90's. In the upcoming episode "off the grid" I notice they are going back to HK. I spotted some in the last episode as well but this one will be full of them. I saw some g36's and mp7's. Sorry I am a bit of a HK nut
    Case in point:
    http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sg113ir.jpg
    http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?image=916095oo.jpg
    Last edited by Raptor 1; 05 February 2006, 11:38 PM.

I'm not familair with automatic guns like that in person. But why go from an MP5 to a P90? Sure the P90 has a bigger mag, but it's smaller caliber. Also, I don't get the impression that a P90 has that great a range as seen in some episodes. For close quarters in a ship, it may be better for them. But most times, an MP5 would seem to be better.

Why not use an M4 with collapsable stock? Or some other gun that size? If they are outdoors, it would seem to have better range.

Or for some of the larger scenes, why not use a sniper rifle for the long shots? Wound or pick off as many as possible to make it easier for when they get closer?

The answer: Who knows? Maybe because people are used to seeing M16s, AK-47s and other well known rifles and SMGs being used in military movies and tv shows.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
    24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
    Both heavily admined.

Comment

Oh I completely agree. I think the reason they went with the P90's was because it was a higher velocity weapon. Better penitration. For outdoor combat I'd stick with any 7.62 round. But it seems like all the fighting they do is close quarters.

Comment

The MP5 fires a 9mm round just like a 9mm pistol. The P90 fires a round between a 9mm and a 5.56 mm round that the M4/M16 fires. Has more stopping power and range than the 9mm but not as much as the the 5.56mm round.

Keep in mind, though, other SG teams do carry M4s and M16s.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

So I guess the P90 is suited for compactibility. I'm still waiting to see someone with Blane's gun from Predator! lol

Comment

I would guess it's because they don't have to fight against so many metal suited jaffas anymore.

Comment

The P-90 was chosen for production reasons - it's a 'safer' weapon to fire since the empty shells eject from the bottom of the weapon, not out the side as is the case on most weapons. That means it's safer for the cast and crew to use as there is less chance of being hit by a flying shell.

As for a 'in-story' reason - nfi. There probably isn't that much of a practical difference between the MP-5 and the P-90 anyway. Both would give similiar results.

btw, sidearm refers to a backup weapon that you carry around holstered. Pistols and the like

Comment

imho, the P90 being bullpup is probably a better choice, when it first was used we were still fighting the jaffa, so a 5.56 would probably penetrate there armour better than a 9mm because of the size. magazine wise, P90 is around 50 rounds a mag i belive, both weapons are equally as customizable, but both lack the velocity and extra fire power (203, underslung shotgun) of an assault rifle. for close quaters an M4 Carbine with folding stock, with shotgun. outdoor, G36K with GP30. although i doubt we'd ever see the GP in sg1. but its a good weapon. bottom lined - we need more fire power in cirtain situations. theres many times when a 203 or LAW would of come in handy offworld. other teams use them, why not sg1? but out of P90 and MP5, id go with the 90

I like to babel on about weapons

oh and as already pointed, a side arm refers to a backup weapon, Handguns, Zats etc

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

GP30s are grenade launchers on AK series rifles, not G36, the G36 grenade launcher is the AG36.

the p90 was first introduced in the episode with the unas capturing daniel, and the p90 would serve as effective against an enemy like an unas, hard hitting, armor piercing, fast ROF, and of course the magazine size (50 as opposed to 30).

Comment

Originally posted by rokentsu
                    GP30s are grenade launchers on AK series rifles, not G36, the G36 grenade launcher is the AG36.

the p90 was first introduced in the episode with the unas capturing daniel, and the p90 would serve as effective against an enemy like an unas, hard hitting, armor piercing, fast ROF, and of course the magazine size (50 as opposed to 30).
                    indeed u are correct. wow i feel embarrased now but yeah either way, to correct myself yes, G36K with an AG36, preferably with a flat top receiver instead of the carry handle/3x sight. better with a red dot. would be some awesome firepower. what i dont get however is why each member of the team carries the same weapon (other than tealc who always goes over the top with his pig or minimi lol) should have a variation of weapons would look cooler

"But the core of science fiction, is essance has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all..."

Dont let our show die.

Comment

Originally posted by RobJones
                      what i dont get however is why each member of the team carries the same weapon (other than tealc who always goes over the top with his pig or minimi lol) should have a variation of weapons would look cooler
                      Using the same weapons means everyone has the same magazines, ammo, and accessory gear, that can be swapped between whoever needs it.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                        Using the same weapons means everyone has the same magazines, ammo, and accessory gear, that can be swapped between whoever needs it.
                        In the entire stargate history i dont belive iv ever seen or heard an SG1 member ask for the others ammunition?

Dont let our show die.

Comment

The p90 is a better weapon then the mp5 becuase the round has more punch and is armor piercing. not to mention 50 rounds vs 30 and the clips are eaiser to store. plus just look at it, it is a geourgeous gun. and since your holding it more like a rifle and your holding it at the end of the barrel, there is more control over the kick in full auto mode. I could go on forever on why the p90 is better, and for you m16/m4 fans the FNH has the F2000 a M16 style rifle with all the pros of the M16 and none of the cons, also more controlable in full auto mode due to the hand grips and rear loading mags.

PS both guns are now available to the public USA. check sig
                          Get YOUR P90 Here!
                          Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

Originally posted by whatswiththehairtealc
                            The p90 is a better weapon then the mp5 becuase the round has more punch and is armor piercing. not to mention 50 rounds vs 30 and the clips are eaiser to store. plus just look at it, it is a geourgeous gun. and since your holding it more like a rifle and your holding it at the end of the barrel, there is more control over the kick in full auto mode. I could go on forever on why the p90 is better, and for you m16/m4 fans the FNH has the F2000 a M16 style rifle with all the pros of the M16 and none of the cons, also more controlable in full auto mode due to the hand grips and rear loading mags.

PS both guns are now available to the public USA. check sig
                            Just what you need to deter burlgers

Comment

i think the reason why they used P90s for the most part was because that was Jacks weapon of choice. he prefered it, and if he needed to used sombody elses gun, he wouldn't complain if they used something different..

as for range and accuracy, i don't know, i thought they were very good, in " THE WARRIOR" carter is able to snap a log in half and shoot the rope holding it from a decent distanance
                              Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
                              (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

Working...
                              X