PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the uniforms?

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 08:28 AM
What do you think of the new uniforms for Atlantis then? Vote, then tell us why.
For more pictures click For all the news and spoilers for this episode click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/photos.shtml)

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/photo03.jpg (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/photo04.shtml)
!

Shipperahoy
April 30th, 2004, 09:42 AM
I put that I don't like or dislike them although that's not entirely true. I don't like them but not in a Eek how terrible kind of way. I like my sci-fi show uniforms to not really look like sci-fi show uniforms if you know what I mean. I really don't understand why they couldn't just wear fatigues or something but...hey...whatever. It won't ruin my enjoyment of the show or anything.

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Given that it's set in present day, and initially at least, on Earth, it would have been nice to have had them in fatigues or something that looks more like a real life uniform. And something comfortable too - those uniforms look like they're made out of the sort of material that builds up lots of static. Ouch!

Darren
April 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I think the gray & black and the gray & red are just dandy. They've got a contemporary look, but are slightly fictionalized / sci-fied up. The brown versions ... they will need to grow on me.

Kind of reminds me of the early days of "Crusade." The first uniforms were kind of -- off. They shot a few episodes then redid the uniforms from scratch, and they were awesome. Then JMS worked a uniform "accident" into the plot to explain the change. :)

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 10:24 AM
is it just me or do they all seem to have the same footwear?

SGSlugger
April 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
The color scheme is nice, but is it me or do they remind anyone else of wind breakers or jogging clothes?

David
April 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM
The color scheme is nice, but is it me or do they remind anyone else of wind breakers or jogging clothes?

LOL. After the first pictures were released to GW Darren had this to say to me: "Looks like they went down the road to TJ Maxx ..."

keshou
April 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I'm hoping they find a fashion planet in the Pegasus galaxy!

Really, I guess I just miss the simplicity of the military gear SG-1 wears. These outfits look more StarTrek than Stargate and the big colored triangles are distracting. Maybe they'll grow on me.

ShadowMaat
April 30th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I'm not fond of the uniforms... to put it mildly. ;) I hear that they don't look as bad when you actually see them in context. I'll wait and see for myself before deciding THAT...

Darren
April 30th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I don't think I said that. ;) It certainly doesn't sound like me.

Norlioness
April 30th, 2004, 11:00 PM
First, it's hard to say when they don those outfits. We just have to watch the season premiere. I cannot imagine that SGC would create new team uniforms as they are discovering the new city. I can accept that they were "given" these outfits when their own earth ones were destroyed. Though I cannot explain the country logos if they were given off-world. *sigh* I guess they must have them already as they launch to the new galaxy.

My first impression is that the outfits look like team wear, e.g. the Olympic *name your sport* team. Especially with the large contrast cut out section. The fabric seem to be of the same fabric that you would use for a team outfit - either tactile or duckcloth? - very noisy fabric - not suitable for covert operation.

We'll just have to watch the show and the outfits might just be perfect after all, if they fit in with the new galaxy and its environments.

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 01:21 AM
If anyone has seen the Sci-fi ad most people agree the uniforms look much better on camera (As does Torri Higgonson ;)) I always liked them though ;)

Osiris
May 1st, 2004, 02:24 AM
I don't bother. I'm not going to watch this show for the uniforms!

Major Clanger
May 1st, 2004, 02:33 AM
I don't bother. I'm not going to watch this show for the uniforms!
me neither, although if they jar a lot then it will certainly impair my enjoyment of the show

SGSlugger
May 1st, 2004, 05:53 AM
Actually, I'd have to agree that they do look a little better once you see them onscreen. But still it doesn't seem that convincing that its a military team.
Could you see them trying to sneak up on a Wraith wearing those bright colors and patterns? That would be like Osoma running around covered in florenscent orange.

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM
I'm not planning to watch Atlantis for the wardrobe, but if they're too distracting (and in the still images, I think they are) then it would take away from my enjoyment of the show because I wouldn't *quite* be able to accept it all as "real". If I can't get into the story then it's no fun for me.

SeaBee
May 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM
This is the first time I've seen them so this is a first impression reaction.

YUK!

They look like Shell Suits.

And why the different colours? :confused:

Major Tyler
May 1st, 2004, 06:51 AM
I absolutely love the Uniforms! I'm sorry but I don't see why so many people have a problem with them. I think they're unique and cool. I want one.

-Matt

Apophis
May 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM
I really hated them at first but they're slowly growing on me. I like the idea of each characters nationality being shown through the corresponding flag patch on their arm.

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM
Actually, I'd have to agree that they do look a little better once you see them onscreen. But still it doesn't seem that convincing that its a military team.
Could you see them trying to sneak up on a Wraith wearing those bright colors and patterns? That would be like Osoma running around covered in florenscent orange.
Ah, but the dark ones, as shown on Sheppard and Ford, are the military ones, the tan ones seem only for the civilians.

David
May 1st, 2004, 09:48 AM
I don't think I said that. ;) It certainly doesn't sound like me.

Oh, you said it. It's my only exposure to TJ Maxx! lol

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 10:19 AM
Oh, you said it. It's my only exposure to TJ Maxx! lol
I'm almjost sure that's called TK Maxx here :P

bcmilco
May 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
I have to admit when I first saw the uniforms I really hated them.

However I think they have grown on me (kinda like fungus ;)) because right now I could take them or leave them.

Tau'riBraGoddess
May 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM
I think they are perfectly horrible.

Flyboy
May 3rd, 2004, 07:16 AM
I have seen worse, but the thing I always liked about Stargate was it's realism. No stupid Star Trek "let's fall all around our ship because it doesnt have seat belts and I like to stand when in battle" uniforms. They were DPM, exactly the stuff the military WOULD wear in such a situation. This new stuff... I dunno. IMO the only good ooptions are the goold old desert or green DPMs, flightsuits, or Airforce uniform.

Anubis
May 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
They seem strange. They could match a bit more I guess but perhaps they'll change mid-way through the series one they meet the 'Wraith'

Bacardi
May 3rd, 2004, 08:19 AM
kinda reminds me of Wormhole X-treme.

quotes aint perfectly accurate but u get the idea :P

Actor playing O'neill playing RDA: "Is this realistic, the camouflage i mean?"
O'neill: "Oh yeah sure, you dont wanna be a target out there"

im sure sum1 will post the exact lines but oh well.

i suppose i'll warm up to the costumes..i mean uniforms.. as the show progresses but for now..wtf! lol

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
I don't like their uniforms. Galaxy Quest is exactly right. What happened to good old Military style? :S

Bacardi
May 3rd, 2004, 09:40 AM
I don't like their uniforms. Galaxy Quest is exactly right. What happened to good old Military style? :S

mayb cos its not a military team they wanted something different?

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 09:43 AM
I guess, but it takes away from the whole Stargate concept.

I know it needs to be different, but it's better to be leaning more towards Stargate than Star Trek or Galaxy Quest...hmm.

It's meant to be based on Stargate...so why not keep similar uniforms?

spork
May 3rd, 2004, 11:07 AM
just my thoughts...

it seems like there will be (alot?) more ship based action in Atlantis; so the uniforms arent that bad looking in the context of a flight-suit or something of that nature.. this entire spinoff seems to strike me as a more tech driven story and charactor pool, than SG1. the crew doesnt seem to be the same 'fighters' that SG1 are, so i dont see olive green as befitting either. though i could be totaly wrong about the above.

ok, that was my best shot at being possitive. the uniforms are a tad icky.

Atlantin
May 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Old were Better... :(

Liotius
May 3rd, 2004, 01:21 PM
They'd be alright without the panels

Alexeil
May 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
I pretty much agree with what others have said. They don't look absolutely horrible and fashion isn't what'll make or break the show for me. But I would have definetly preferred something more realistic looking from today's earth. Keeping the good old SG uniforms woulda worked better for me. But maybe there will be some story element as to why they have those.

SGSlugger
May 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe they discovered that wind breakers are resistant to what ever the Wraith use to drain a body's life form? (haha)

Hatusu
May 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
They are just plain unflattering.

morjana
May 3rd, 2004, 09:42 PM
Hmmm...Atlantis, underwater city...

Have you noticed those "colored" panels in the uniform jacket are EXACTLY where the lungs are?

Perhaps it's a signal to water breathers that the team breathe air, so if they're found unconscious, the water breathers don't dunk them to revive them.

Just a thought...

Morjana

Izanami
May 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
it's a bit too trekkish for my tastes... they should have stayed with the original stuff... real uniforms

Gilder
May 4th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Good thought, Morjana!

Liotius
May 4th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Have you noticed those "colored" panels in the uniform jacket are EXACTLY where the lungs are?

Perhaps it's a signal to water breathers that the team breathe air, so if they're found unconscious, the water breathers don't dunk them to revive them.

Just a thought...

Morjana
That is a good thought... Hopefully if that wasn't the idea then perhaps they can integrate it... As long as they check these forums lol Or if that is whats planned I can't wait to see how they introduce it.

Kelso
May 4th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I think they are fine. The style is similar to the SG-1 uniforms (with the vest) but that have more of a NASA feel. I do wish they had more camo, though.

Gateman
May 4th, 2004, 11:59 AM
These things are a joke. They gotta do better than that. :eek: The only thing I like is the flight jacket Shepard is wearing in one of the photos. Classic pilot duds.

SGSlugger
May 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by morjana

Just a thought...

Morjana
-----------------

How would water breathers now that lungs are posistioned under the colored pockets? We'd be as alien to them as they would be to use. Intersting idea none-the-less.

Mira
May 4th, 2004, 12:15 PM
They don't even look like they fit! I was not pleased with the decision on those ummm pyjama like please shoot me outfits.... :S

Maybe they are made from a new synthetic fabric that keeps them warm and dry in case they get wet in the underwater city... it coincidentally is ugly fabric, however they would rather look dumb and be dry then look cool and wet... :p

Mira

X-303
May 4th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I absolutely love the Uniforms! I'm sorry but I don't see why so many people have a problem with them. I think they're unique and cool. I want one.

-Matt
Yes, I also love the new uniforms they are pretty good in my opinion I know they are a little different but so is the series. It is another galaxy for crying out loud.

By the way I am new in this Forum so If anyone can give me the rules I would really appreciate it

Patricio

Darren
May 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Hey, Patricio! Welcome to the forum!

Just click on the FAQ link in the toolbar near the top of every page on the forum to find the rules. Hope you enjoy things here.

Margaret
May 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Well, the trousers, shirt, jacket ensemble is pretty standard. And everyone's wearing it; we don't see the women in mini-skirts.

I agree that this uniform does not seem to be designed for people running around in the field and trying to hide. It seems to be designed for technical people. (Perhaps the slate gray hides the grease spots.) If the material is static-prone, that's going to be really bad for the electronics.

There's a waistband on the jacket, a neck band that closes with velcro and cuffs on the sleeves, all of which seem to be designed to keep out the wind. So I gather you could be reasonably comfortable outside on a mild day, and if it got warm, you could take off the jacket. Do you think this uniform is well-designed for shooting in British Columbia? Is it warm enough? Is it water-proof enough?

I don't think the unifrom has enough pockets for all their gear. At first I thought that's what the panels were -- big side pockets, but evidently not. I don't know if the wearers could even stick their hands in their pockets to warm them up. Actually, I don't even know if they have a place to stash a pen or a wallet.

But they seem to fit comfortably and give the wearers some flexibility for different environments and working conditions.

Teal'c
May 5th, 2004, 05:05 AM
When they're on missions they have those vests....

morjana
May 5th, 2004, 07:29 AM
How would water breathers now that lungs are posistioned under the colored pockets? We'd be as alien to them as they would be to use. Intersting idea none-the-less.

Because the water breathers have met OTHER non-water breathers before?

Morjana

System Lord Anubis
May 5th, 2004, 09:00 AM
I just think they look cheesy. I was much more for the military look from SG-1; however, I do like the new camo they have and I hope they even test the new Air Force BDUs on the show at some point.

Mio
May 5th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Galaxyquest. That didn't occur to me till I read the poll :P

May 5th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Galaxyquest. That didn't occur to me till I read the poll :P
Yeah, me too. And I sill think that they are cheese. They DO need to change those uniforms, to something better.

ShadowMaat
May 5th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Some people say that "As long as the vests cover the jackets, it looks fine." So then what's the point of having the color panels on the jackets at all? Do away with 'em, I say. Make them look a little less costumey. :P

KorbenDirewolf
May 5th, 2004, 10:51 PM
I've got to say that I really think they seen to have been designed by some kind of international committee of people who didn't really like working together so they ended up with something no one liked.. Its not military-style, but we're not really dealing with a military operation here.

bakeded
May 5th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I'm taking a wait and see approach.
I did purchase an atlantis patch on ebay and now I wait until it arrives to see if it matches all the pics.

thor39
May 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Look a little rag tag to me.

If your in another galaxy you wouldn't wear clothes like that you would expect more gizmos and bleeping lights! ;)

Battlestar cylon costumes maybe? :D

kree
May 6th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Maybe the colored panels inflate when submerged, kinda like those life preservers found on airplanes! :p

panzor
May 6th, 2004, 10:31 PM
The uniforms may look like GalaxyQuest, but lets hope the show is better than GalaxyQuest. :)

ChurchMouse
May 6th, 2004, 11:06 PM
..........They do look a bit like pyjamas, don't they?

Beckmen
May 7th, 2004, 03:17 AM
They look like they are made out of parachute material or something. The cast is going to be ripping out the crotches when they run! Man, they look fake too. Boo!

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2004, 03:30 AM
The cast is going to be ripping out the crotches when they run!

Now, see, that could almost be an advantage. ;) And it'd help with the whole "Boxers or briefs... or Other" question.

Muahaha....

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 05:19 AM
I think they're decent enough. The darker ones are much better than the lighter ones though.

KayMan2k
May 7th, 2004, 09:11 AM
If anyone has seen the Sci-fi ad most people agree the uniforms look much better on camera (As does Torri Higgonson ;)) I always liked them though ;)

All clothes, gate, and rooms will look better when lighted for the TV show and not a promotional photo shoot. Give it a chance. Plus, they're probably going to wear other clothes than these uniforms.

SGSlugger
May 8th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Plus, they're probably going to wear other clothes than these uniforms.

I'd like to see them embark on a mission wearing civilian clothes a couple of times. I wonder how many change of clothes they brought with them, or if they are just gonna start wearing some Ancient stuff?

Bagpuss
May 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I don't care a fig about the uniforms- I just want good stories and characterisation!
To me,no posed Promo shots can convey how practical (or otherwise ),the clothing might be onscreen.
I'm looking forward to SG Atlantis and am getting impatient already!
(Are we there yet? :D )

David85
May 9th, 2004, 11:03 AM
I think they look fine now that I have seen the pics of them and the commercials. They will do fine.

Shin_Kudo
May 12th, 2004, 12:09 AM
They look to me like they're made of a slightly thicker (than parachute) synthetic, the kind that is becoming favored by fishermen and adventurers. I have a pair of pants made of that material that came from Patagonia. (The store, not the geographical area)

The costumes overall do look like the kind of uniform a civillian research team may wear in the field. The panels look stupid, though, IMO.

Champos
May 12th, 2004, 12:30 AM
<< is it just me or do they all seem to have the same footwear? >>

I thought the exact same thing. And they all seem to look like hiking boots as well - are they going to be going up many mountains?

On the uniforms as a whole, I'm not exactly thrilled with them at present, but I'm willing to give them a chance. I'm not too sure about the flag patches though, especially since Beckett has a Scottish flag patch which is just plain wrong in my opinion. Unless Scotland has suddenly become a sovereign country since I last checked (not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me) then it should be the Union Jack. It should, I tell you, it should!

Bagpuss
May 12th, 2004, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=Champos I'm not too sure about the flag patches though, especially since Beckett has a Scottish flag patch which is just plain wrong in my opinion. Unless Scotland has suddenly become a sovereign country since I last checked (not necessarily a bad thing if you ask me) then it should be the Union Jack. It should, I tell you, it should![/QUOTE]

Oh Boy! You're posing a loaded opinion there my friend,if any Scottish Nationalists (or worse my :eek: AUNTIE :eek:) read this POV!

Seriously,I agree with you,maybe he should bear the "Union Flag", not the Saltyre of St.Andrew.

(It's the same situation in eg. Canada.The Maple Leaf is the National Flag but each of the Territories have their own flag.)

Matt G
May 12th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Maybe Beckett's a patriotic Scot and did some negotiating. Either that or the writing staff have not gotten all their memos. ;)

He's still the UK's representative to Atlantis in my book though :)

Flyboy
May 12th, 2004, 09:39 AM
LONG LIVE BRITAIN AND THE BRITISH EMPIRE!!!!!

England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, The Falklands and Australia!

Ok.. some empire...

Disclaimer: I know Australia isn't british but they DO recognise our Queen as a figure head.

earck
May 12th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Today i decided that I immensly hate them. I compared a picture of the atlantis team to a picture of SG-1. SG-1 looks way more professional while the atlantis team is just poorly dressed. No one would wear uniforms that look like that.

It might not be as bad if everyone wore the same uniform. The members of SG-1 wear the same color uniform all the time.

They are uniforms not fatigues. There should be a standard and it should be the Air Force standard.

GhostPoet
May 12th, 2004, 10:54 AM
The uniforms are not THAT bad...they are fine. Don't judge them based on the promo shots...the lighting lies. Look at in-show shots.

SGSlugger
May 12th, 2004, 11:00 AM
The in-show shots look better, but they still don't seem to fit for a military team. I don't get why the bright colors? If they are gonna be sneaking around nothing says "Hey! I'm over here!" than those colors.

Teal'c
May 12th, 2004, 11:51 AM

Ok.. some empire...

Disclaimer: I know Australia isn't british but they DO recognise our Queen as a figure head.
Hey, you stay the hell away from us! *fights off British with sticks* :P

But I've asked Scottish people I know, and they said they'd want to wear their own flag rather than the Union Jack :P

Bagpuss
May 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM

But I've asked Scottish people I know, and they said they'd want to wear their own flag rather than the Union Jack :P

Not all of us though,Teal'c!! :p (I count myself as British.Except when it comes to sport of course!) ;)

Champos
May 12th, 2004, 09:32 PM

Ok.. some empire...

We've still got Gibraltar as well! Like hell we're ever gonna give that back to Spain!!!!

Champos
May 12th, 2004, 09:37 PM

It doesn't really matter much what they want though, it's what they SHOULD be wearing if they're in the armed forces of the United Kingdom. We English don't wear the St George's flag on our arm patch - hell, we don't even have a proper celebration on his saint day!!!

For the record though, if you ask me, we should give Scotland full independence. I think that if they want to be free, then they should be. Then, when they go bankrupt, as they inevitably would without the subsidies from the UK which they survive on, we can laugh at them when they come crawling back to us and we can accept them back into the UK on really humilitating terms!

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 01:46 AM
It doesn't really matter much what they want though, it's what they SHOULD be wearing if they're in the armed forces of the United Kingdom. We English don't wear the St George's flag on our arm patch - hell, we don't even have a proper celebration on his saint day!!!

For the record though, if you ask me, we should give Scotland full independence. I think that if they want to be free, then they should be. Then, when they go bankrupt, as they inevitably would without the subsidies from the UK which they survive on, we can laugh at them when they come crawling back to us and we can accept them back into the UK on really humilitating terms!

Agree with you on Paragraph #1 POV.

As for paragraph 2: I,for one,don't want what's left of the U.K. to split up any further than it has already.There are too many British people with mixed roots and family members spread across the British Isles to stick us into tidy little compartments marked "Scottish","English" and so on .
<snipped by FHB >
Please,pretty please,understand I'm not attacking YOU,Champos.Just a difference of opinion.Honestly!

Still friends ? ;)

Teal'c
May 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Not all of us though,Teal'c!! :p (I count myself as British.Except when it comes to sport of course!) ;)
Well you stay up there, and I'll stay down here, where it's cool :P

I wonder how the Tricolour would look on an Atlantis uniform? :P

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Well you stay up there, and I'll stay down here, where it's cool : :p

I wonder how the Tricolour would look on an Atlantis uniform? :P

I stay in England Teal'c.Like it! Nowt wrong with Eire either! (or Emerald Isle /Rep.Of Ireland,whichever term you prefer! :D

As to the Tricolour on at Atlantis uniform:
Probably pretty darn cool! :cool:

gategirl101
May 13th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Hi!
I'm from Scotland. I'd say Beckett should wear the Union flag on his arm. If Beckett was American he'd have the stars and strips - not the state he comes from like for example the Texan flag. Same should apply to the UK flag. Scotland's just part of the UK. That's only my opinion though - other Scots might think differently. Then again - it's unfair on everyone else in the UK that the only British guy on the show's wearing a Scotland flag. I thought the saltire was St. Andrew and st. David was the Welsh guy.... hmmmmm......
Since I'm from Scotland - I'd say I'd wear the Union flag, no hesitation. Please don't yell at me.
I'm a patriotic British and Scottish person. No reason why I can't do both! I like the other parts of the UK - no Braveheart type revenge thing going on with me! :)
I'd say the Irish flag would look like an Irish tricolour flag patch on an Atlantis uniform! :) Bit like every other flag would look like a flag patch on an atlantis uniform!
Scottish Independence - now that is scary....

gategirl101
May 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Oh..... since I went a little off topic!
I quite like the new uniforms. I'm no fashion guru - but they look OK.
I suppose the designers were looking for a different look to the show to try and distinguish it from SG-1.
Oh! Also... before any decides that I offended them - I hope I didn't and didn't mean to.

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Hi!
I'm from Scotland. I'd say Beckett should wear the Union flag on his arm. If Beckett was American he'd have the stars and strips - not the state he comes from like for example the Texan flag. Same should apply to the UK flag. Scotland's just part of the UK. That's only my opinion though - other Scots might think differently. Then again - it's unfair on everyone else in the UK that the only British guy on the show's wearing a Scotland flag. I thought the saltire was St. Andrew and st. David was the Welsh guy.... hmmmmm......
Since I'm from Scotland - I'd say I'd wear the Union flag, no hesitation. Please don't yell at me.
I'm a patriotic British and Scottish person. No reason why I can't do both! I like the other parts of the UK - no Braveheart type revenge thing going on with me! :)
I'd say the Irish flag would look like an Irish tricolour flag patch on an Atlantis uniform! :) Bit like every other flag would look like a flag patch on an atlantis uniform!
Scottish Independence - now that is scary....

With you Gater Pal! You're right about the Saints too. :o
I've no excuse for mixing up Andrew and David....just apologies for my confused memory! I've gone back and edited my stupidity.
Thanks for your restraint. :D

OMG,if my Scottish Nationalist Auntie and Cousins had come across my little faux pas,I'd suddenly be History and probably "Geography" as well! :eek:

Thank God for Forum names or I'd never show my face in Scotland again. :o

Champos
May 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM
As for paragraph 2: I,for one,don't want what's left of the U.K. to split up any further than it has already.There are too many British people with mixed roots and family members spread across the British Isles to stick us into tidy little compartments marked "Scottish","English" and so on !

I agree that the UK should stay as it is, mostly because to break up into smaller regions would, in my opinion, be largely impractical. That said, it does seem to be what a lot of people want. They're not necessarily the majority but they are often quite vocal.

Please,please,pretty please,understand I'm not attacking YOU,Champos.Just a difference of opinion.Honestly!

Ha! I have you running scared now! Differences of opinion are good, especially when settled with violence...

Tolerance is good. :D

Says who?

Haha! I've successffully worked out how to do multiple quotes! Go me!

Bagpuss
May 13th, 2004, 09:48 PM
LOL,Champos!
You're doing far better on "Multiple Quote" replying than I am!

Re: the rest of your post: Hmmmm....am I running scared,let me ponder this with due consideration,and Baggie Wisdom...Sorry,not scared at all! You're a friend,right,Champos? :D

Quote:<"Tolerance is good". Says who?>Un-Quote.

Says Meeee! :D

Oh yes: On Topic:Atlantis Uniforms.

I don't really mind the uniforms themselves, so I'll gladly pretend I can't see the Scottish Flag.Such a small detail really!!

Happy?

Odens ├ąterkomst
May 15th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Those uniforms don't look ugly but are utterly horrible. It is a lot like galaxyquest and way too "science-fictiony". One thing I liked about SG-1 was that it was contempory and they used standard military uniforms as if they were a contempory military unit, not some futuristic sci-fi series. They are also too flashy, what are they going to a off-world fashion show or something?

I guess I'll have to live with it, but I really don't like them.

veneticuss
May 21st, 2004, 03:49 AM
Nor do i

TST
May 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM
I agree they look better on screen, but I've just remembered where I remember them from!
The ones in the picture don't look quite like it, but from the trailer with the Wraith in it, they look almost exactly the same as the uniforms from Seaquest DSV! Anyone else seen that show and know what I'm talking about?

ColonelKlink
May 30th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Whats up with the team leaders goofy haircut?

ShadowMaat
May 30th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Whats up with the team leaders goofy haircut?
It's supposed to remind us of his boyish good looks and inherent charm. ;) Personally, the hair doesn't bother me, but since you asked, I figure that's probably the impression we're supposed to get.

Nolamom
May 30th, 2004, 04:00 PM
It reminds me of James Potter - purposely messy to look as if he'd just come in from playing Quidditch!
Nmom

Dramaqueen
May 31st, 2004, 04:36 AM
I agree they look better on screen, but I've just remembered where I remember them from!
The ones in the picture don't look quite like it, but from the trailer with the Wraith in it, they look almost exactly the same as the uniforms from Seaquest DSV! Anyone else seen that show and know what I'm talking about?
Yeah...right. They do remind me of Seaquest (I really liked that show) Maybe Peter DeLuise got somehow involved in designing them... :p

shinyredpants
May 31st, 2004, 11:38 AM
i used to love seaquest...until it got too weird for me. but i thought the uniforms from enterprise were more seaquest looking...

Neon Rider
June 6th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I've never seen this show before infact I thought it was a cartoon. What channel does it air on? What era is it in? But I voted to Galaxy Questy I mean I saw the movie twice there wa nothing good on. I don't think there to Star Treky- maybe something from the new Star Trek series. Well bye.

KorbenDirewolf
June 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM
The in-show shots look better, but they still don't seem to fit for a military team. I don't get why the bright colors? If they are gonna be sneaking around nothing says "Hey! I'm over here!" than those colors.

Um.. one of the main points of Atlantis is that its not a military-run operation. That's why they're not in military uniform.

LoneStar1836
June 21st, 2004, 01:43 AM
Hey, who cares what the uniforms look like. :) The show looks awesome. With each new promo that is coming out, the premiere can't get here fast enough. I hate to say this, but I think I'm getting more excited about seeing Atlantis than I am SG-1.

Back to the uniforms. When I first saw pictures of them months ago, I thought they were rather bad. I was not too fond of the color patches on the chest or the tan uniforms for McKay and Beckett. The tan uniforms seemed to make them walking targets. Hey, we're the civilian geeks on the team, shoot us first. :rolleyes: After seeing them in the promo clips, they don't look that bad, the gray colored ones anyway. I guess because the utility vests seem to hide that color patch. Seems the color patch has something to do with their designation on the team. Weir, the diplomate, has red; Sheppard and Ford, the military men, have what looks like black; McKay, the scientist, blue; and Beckett, the doctor, I guess you would call that cream. As far as the tan ones go, I would have preferred a cohesive uniform color for all members of the team, rather than them being dressed differently, but I guess TPTB have their reasoning behind this.

BTW, I voted I neither like nor dislike them.

Lostinmyownvoid
June 22nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
To me the style, save for the coloration, look like the new U.S Army BDUs. I'll link drag up a link to the article about them.

But on the coloring having big red patches right at center mass (your torso), which is where most armed forces teach you to aim, seems like a very bad idea. Unless your enemy is using Red Dot style scopes and the red happens to be the same shade as the dot so they can't see the dot, but that is very unlikely.

Selmak
June 27th, 2004, 06:30 AM
From I have seen from the previews and screenshots of Atlantis... the uniforms look much better on the show then they do in the publicity shots. It's all in the lighting.

Gilder
June 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM
They're giving me some good ideas for the 2005 Gatecon Afghan. Which reminds me, I need to finish the border on the 2004 afghan...

Gilder
*the mad crocheter of Gatecon*

Amanda Eros
October 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this or not, (Haven't gotten the chance to read the whole thread) But anyway, my family and I noticed something about the military uniforms. After my mom pointed the flaw out, my dad, a former US Airborn Ranger told me that the US military issues hats to be worn during missions. I asked, why's that? He said that standard military hair cut is normally a buz cut, this way bugs won't get in your hair, or it won't get into your eyes. I'm also guessing that for those who have light hair it helps to keep them from standing out. Given that, they require them to wear hats to prevent them from getting sun burn on their scalps. Now if they are out in the field, get sunburn on their scalps, they become easy targets. Hence why they have to wear hats. But as far as I can tell not all the military members on the show wear their hats on all the missions.

Other wise, I love the uniforms on this show. I think that it is a very good idea to be able to designate what each person's areas of experties are. As for the flags on their arms, I think that they just do that to display the international feel of the show. Plus, it also eliminates the whole, "oh, I love your accent, what contry are you from?" I'm told it gets rather annoying rather quickly from the exchange students in my residence hall. :)

Cynicat
October 23rd, 2005, 09:00 PM
Personally, I think the uniforms are rather nifty :) Practical, but at the same time a little bit theatrical (it IS a tv show after all). The style and material makes sense for general use in their situation and environment, especially the "tactical sneakers" - combat boots aren't fun to wear 24/7, and with modern materials we can create shoes that offer just as much, if not more, protection (and more insulation) while retaining the level of comfort offered by conventional sneakers. Given the option, I know what I'd choose.

Something I just noticed that's intriguing me, are the zippers on the jacket torso patches - very obvious in this promo photo (http://paulmcgillion.tjuk.net/pages/Gallery/sga_promo/01/004.htm). Now, it looks to me like they would enable the wearer to zip some kind of covering patch over that space, or zip the sides of the patch together (thus changing the fit of the jacket rather dramatically). Can't say I remember seeing either of those things done to anyone's uniform (and the zips are on all of them - not just the "hero" costumes), so it seems like a lot of trouble to go to for something that serves no actual purpose. Weird. Anyone got any ideas? (LOL nitpickey much? :rolleyes: )

Stevo
October 24th, 2005, 02:00 AM
i think they look good, a little dorky though having their designation a large colour on their uniform, but hey does anybody really care? :)

skritsys
October 24th, 2005, 05:37 AM
IMHO, the uniforms are designed to elicit that Sci-fi feel and not a military one. Isn't the military funding this? You would think they would at least be all in the same style at least. Even if you have civilians on "base" and they represent your people, you would honestly think that they would have everyone in the same style of uniform. For the sake of consistency and representation.

skritsys
October 24th, 2005, 05:43 AM
computer error excuse me.

Atlantis1
October 28th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I really rather like the uniforms. They fit in very well for the kind of expedition they are on. It also separates the show from SG-1. Don't get me wrong, I am not against SG-1 but I like the little things that make the shows different from each other.

ancientalliance
April 23rd, 2006, 10:18 AM
I think the color coding is a bit odd...

Pharaoh Atem
April 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
teyla needs soemthing new she alweays wearing boring clothes dull colors

just put her in a military uniform like veryone else

sueKay
April 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I like the darker uniforms...but I don't like the beige ones...thankfully they appear to be fazing them out

Major Zoidberg
April 23rd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Yea, i think its a little stupid to wear bright colours on an alien planet...you stand out like a...well a guy in a beige uniform ;) :P

Darker is better :)

Missster.Freeman
April 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Can't say I've ever really noticed their uniforms. The dark blue/black gear the military personnel wear looks okay, I guess. So aye, they fit the purpose. *shrug*

I must say though, looking at Rodney in the beige uniform, it sure adds a few kilos. The dark uniform looks far more slimming. :P

Trek_Girl42
April 24th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I love the jackets- anyone know if they're Mountain Equipment, and if they are, are they available for purchase? They're great looking.

Major Zoidberg
April 24th, 2006, 03:18 PM
they look like sports wear to me :S

Trek_Girl42
April 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM
they look like sports wear to me :S

From the style they look like they were either bought from or designed by the Stargate costume designer and then made by Mountain Equipment (it's an outdoor store in Vancouver that makes great jackets and other outdoor wear). Which I'd bet they are. I really want one.....:sheppard: :ford: :mckay: :weir:

GateByte
May 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I absolutely love their uniforms. The brown ones the scientists wore were meh. But I really like the darker ones. There's just something about them that makes them look uber cool! :)

Allestian
May 4th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I like them. I think they're good because they are modern and they help to give you an idea of what the character does workwise...

:D

AtlantisForever
May 8th, 2006, 04:02 AM
I Want A Pair Of The Commander's 1's And Get A Pair Of The First Commander's Outfit FOR MY GIRLFREIND God She Would Look Sexy In It

captain jake
May 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I like them they are snug, colerful and just plain wonderfull.;)

Damar
May 8th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I noticed that McKay has stopped wearing the 'civillain' uniform like in the first season, and now wears the 'military' one.

captain jake
May 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM
It probably makes them look like more of a team.

Ensign M.I.T.S
May 8th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I like them: they are futuristic without be extreme, and they seem comfortable and suitable for all activity.

captain jake
May 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Ya but not very durable??

Klenotka
May 9th, 2006, 04:56 AM
I like them. Especially the dark-grey with coulorful differences between sections. Little Trek-like I know but I think there isn┬┤t another possibility fo scientific expedition.

captain jake
May 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I agree they have to form to the whole star...... standard.

woody
May 11th, 2006, 01:23 AM
The uniforms looks good in my opinion. BUt they are kinda like marines and the uniforms look liek marines/swat.

But well for me they couldn't of made better uniforms to fit the role i don't think.

Gen. O'Neill
May 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM
The unifroms are cool, i really like to get the dark blue with the black pockets. in a way it does look like it has a trek color ID, here is what i can ID:

RED-leader? (weir) (don't know since Teyla wears red too)
BLACK-military (sheppard)
GREEN-tech (gateroom officer)
BLUE-scienist (Mckay)
TAN medical (beckett)
so anyways these unifrom are cool, i wonder if the SGC might consider doing the color ID for the SG teams? :jack:

captain jake
May 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I think red is for women.

Ensign M.I.T.S
May 12th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Red is for civilian members. Those without a true activity in scientific research.

Ya but not very durable??

Why? They could be made of the same material for extreme expedition (like Everest Climb): light but strong.

woody
May 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Well i'd have to agree about the uniforms, they would be able to move in them. Because if they've mastered using the gates, building ship and whatsoever i'm sure they've master the art of making strong yet manoverable suits. :)

captain jake
May 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
A bullet would disagree.

Mattathias2.0
May 15th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I like the uniforms... It's a nice way to designate and give it the "international feel" of it.

Mattathias

captain jake
May 15th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I agree.

Chelle DB
May 15th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I don't like the uniforms. They appear to be too rigid. I don't mind the one that Sheppard wears though. But the uniforms that McKay wears are just totally horrid. I don't like a lot of what Teyla wears either. Too native!! Weir seems to dress nice most of the time. I'm probably too picky but hey you asked!!!:D

captain jake
May 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
What do you mean by rigid?

Commander Ivanova
May 23rd, 2006, 04:38 AM
Bit boring and unremarkable, nowhere near as good as Trek uniforms despite the colour coding. Plus they need to cling a bit more and/or show more flesh. Apart from that I'm happy.