PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the new baddies? SPOILERS

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM
The new baddies in Atlantis are the Wraiths. Do they have a ghost of a chance, or will they be more fearsome than the goa'uld?

Here's what GateWorld says about the Wraiths:

THE WRAITH. They are the enemy that defeated the Ancients themselves long ago. The Wraith are a hive-based species with a queen, and horrifically feed off the life force of other beings. They maintain a thousand worlds populated by beings used for food. The Wraith are described as having pale green-tinged skin and black eyes, and have an incredible power to regenerate -- so much so that Dr. Beckett speculates that they may not even die of old age the same way that humans do. They also appear to have some form of psionic ability.

Shipperahoy
April 30th, 2004, 10:44 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with them. I'm reserving judgement until I see them in action. Does July seem really really far away to anyone else? Although I'm really looking forward to seeing it at Gatecon.

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 10:48 AM
They sound a lot like the wraiths in Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy! Apart from the hive thing, they're dead ringers really.

That aside, I've not really seen that sort of baddie in many other sci fi places, so on that score I'm really interested to see what they do with them and how inventive they are with them.

Osiris
May 1st, 2004, 03:07 AM
I think they look more dangerous and terrifying than the goa'uld... Goa'uld turned ridiculous. I hope they won't make the same mistake with the Wraith!

the_fours
May 1st, 2004, 04:22 AM
i really cannot wait to see what they do with them and they sound so evil i hope they are the equivelant to what the goa'uld are in sg-1 if not better. And thinkin long term i cant wait to see what the atlanis answer is to the replicators of sg-1. i would be so disappointed if the wraith were the only enemy in atlantis.

Ugly Pig
May 1st, 2004, 05:09 AM
Judging by the description alone, I'd say they have the potential to be a great, scary enemy. In a way, they do sound far worse than the goa'uld, but that may just be because after seven seasons I'm just so accustomed to the idea of little snakes invading a persons brain and taking over their body. When you think about that aspect of it, rather than all the colorful goa'uld characters we've seen over the years, they do seem kinda bad.

PeeJ
May 1st, 2004, 08:40 AM
I hope they dont make them too cheesie tbh, If they gop about it in the wrong way the wraith could turn out to be terrible, also i had a thought the other day.

SPOILERS FOR GRACE
When the mysterious ship in grace won the battle, they took the crew on board and kept them all alive, then we never saw what the aliens looked like or even heard from them, what are the chances that this ship was a wraith ship and they were keeping the crew for food ;) lol

Apophis
May 1st, 2004, 09:04 AM
I thought the wraith seemed really cool from the spoiler descriptions on gateworld, I had ideas of large demonic insects feeding from sg-1's brains. However, now that i've seen the wraith queen i'm not so excited. I would have prefered a less humanoid race, though i suppose the blue skin helps towards that end.

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM
I thought the wraith seemed really cool from the spoiler descriptions on gateworld, I had ideas of large demonic insects feeding from sg-1's brains. However, now that i've seen the wraith queen i'm not so excited. I would have prefered a less humanoid race, though i suppose the blue skin helps towards that end.
Ah, but a less humanoid race would mean, most likely, CG bad guys, and I think we can all agree actors in makeup are better...

Osiris
May 1st, 2004, 01:11 PM
Here's some screencaps of the Wraith Queen I made from the SciFi commercial: ;)

Apophis
May 1st, 2004, 01:17 PM
Lol, those images look pretty scary. Looks like marilyn manson on lsd....now theres an enemy.

David85
May 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
They can't be "less human" because then it would just cost way too much for the show. I thought they looked like crap, but after that commerical they act really cool. The queen sound was awesome. I hope it's not like the Goul'd in that after the first few episodes they all speak English. I want some cool mean sounds language.

Lord Loz
May 1st, 2004, 02:13 PM
I think it would be cool if the Wraith were NOT a super highly advanced race who were on a level par with the Ancients. Much better realism (and hope for our chances against them ;)) if they were more of a sly, backstabbing species, who wiped out the ancients by poisoning their wine or something :D

aAnubiSs
May 1st, 2004, 03:02 PM
Their ships look awsome, atleast their fighters. Would be so cool if SGC would lose the address to some Milky Way stargate so the Wraith would have raiding parties so get tech and food.

Minor Spoiler S8 - New Ground
Highlight to Read.
That would force the SGC to fight are war on two fronts, while still having the Goa'uld and Replicators to worry about.

spg_1983
May 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM
i think the wraith have a lot of potential to be a realy evil bad guy. i hope they play them as truly evil with no middle ground. with the goa'uld they were bad but they were all megolomaniacs and at war with each other so while threatening there was no real spectere of evil about them. also with the goa'uld using hosts there is the moral fact that you are killing an innocent as well. I hope that they play the wraith as just pure evil, something that we can not negotiate with but that we dont need to think twice about killing because they need to be killed. that would be a great bad guy.

bcmilco
May 1st, 2004, 09:05 PM
I think the Wraith's have great potential, espically after having seen what they'll be like on the screen.

I really hope that SGA will have some major set backs when they first encounter the Wraiths. It would be pointless to create a new bad guy if the SGA teams are just going to prevail every single time they encounter the Wraiths, especially in the begining of the show.

IMO the point of an arch-nemesis is to provide someone the main characters could possible loose too, who is there equal or maybe even superior in a fight.

That would make the Wraith terrifying Bad guys IMO.

TechnoBoY
May 1st, 2004, 09:10 PM
They have potential but I think they look like crap. I really hope that isnt the finished product. I'm not really sure though, I havent actually sene the ad on the tv. Maybe it will look different bigger.

ShadowMaat
May 1st, 2004, 09:20 PM
I hope that they make the Wraith well and truly Evil. Don't humanize them, don't make them corny and please, for the love of fluffy puppies, don't make them easy to defeat!!!

spg_1983
May 1st, 2004, 09:34 PM
I hope that they make the Wraith well and truly Evil. Don't humanize them, don't make them corny and please, for the love of fluffy puppies, don't make them easy to defeat!!!
i really hope they dont make then easy to defeat! i hope that the entire first season at least we dont actually win against the wraith just lose and sometimes maybe hold our own and for the season finale actually have the wraith score a major victory over us like reach earth and we have to fight them here and the secret gets out.

bcmilco
May 1st, 2004, 10:11 PM
i hope that the entire first season at least we dont actually win against the wraith just lose and sometimes maybe hold our own and for the season finale actually have the wraith score a major victory over us like reach earth and we have to fight them here and the secret gets out.

I like the idea of not winning all season, but I'm not to crazy about the idea of the secret getting out.

If the secret gets out then it breaks some of my suspension of disbelief for the show since it is supposed to take place in this day and time, and reality.

spg_1983
May 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM
I like the idea of not winning all season, but I'm not to crazy about the idea of the secret getting out.

If the secret gets out then it breaks some of my suspension of disbelief for the show since it is supposed to take place in this day and time, and reality.
thats true if it breaks it does kind of ruin it doesnt it? i like to think that it could all be true and we just dont know it!

Ace
May 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM
I thought it was a pretty cool new baddie, then I saw the picture in TV Guide and I was really worried. Up until that point I thought Atlantis was going to be a great show, luckly SciFi has shown some new trailers for Atlantis and I have seen the Wraith in motion. They look alot better than in the TV Guide picture, it must have been bad lighting.

Ace

bcmilco
May 1st, 2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, those TV Guide pictures had me nervous too. I'm glad they turned out to be 'bad lighting' or what ever it was, it gives me more hope for the uniforms :p

James Holland
May 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
I think That the Wraith are the baddest thing since the Goa'uld were introduced I wouldnt be suprised if the queen herself or it came into the picture to deal with the team.

Hatusu
May 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
The best villains are evil, smart, complicated, truly difficult to defeat and most of all, touch our deapest, darkest fears.

Think, Borg, think Professor Moriarty, think Khan, think Count Dracula, think Hannibal Lector, (the original versions) and think spiders.

The early Goa'uld were terrifying because they took over your body and did terrible things... and you couldn't stop them.

What fears do the Wraith touch?

Apollo
May 2nd, 2004, 11:15 AM
Initially, the only thing that interested me about them was their name, and the fact that they defeated the Ancients. Then the picture came out, and I liked the idea of them a lot more. And now, having seen the trailer, I can firmly say that I think they are going to be great villain.

spg_1983
May 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Initially, the only thing that interested me about them was their name, and the fact that they defeated the Ancients. Then the picture came out, and I liked the idea of them a lot more. And now, having seen the trailer, I can firmly say that I think they are going to be great villain.
i think they are going to be a great villain too because i think that the writers are setting them up as something you can truly hate with out reservation. the whole hive mind will make it so that we can hate and fear the entire species and not just individual members. i just hope they dont pull a tok'ra and have a rebel group of wraiths, it lessons the fear and evilness factor of them if they do

David85
May 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
I'm hoping the ratings are high enough so Sci_Fi buys more than one season at once so they can set the whole thing up. I'm thinking something like season one they intro everything, then season two we really start to fight. Then we somehow kill the queen and the hive is all confused for away but it leads to the even more super evil King or something like that.

Teal'c
May 2nd, 2004, 01:54 PM
The best villains are evil, smart, complicated, truly difficult to defeat and most of all, touch our deapest, darkest fears.

Think, Borg, think Professor Moriarty, think Khan, think Count Dracula, think Hannibal Lector, (the original versions) and think spiders.

The early Goa'uld were terrifying because they took over your body and did terrible things... and you couldn't stop them.

What fears do the Wraith touch?
They drain the life right out of your body... that's pretty scary. And they're pretty damned ugly too... :P

Crazedwraith
May 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
They sound like they have thee potential ti be great but also to suck on a grant scale.

I'm contend to wait and see. (assuming Sky has the good grace to actually get Atlantis)

Hatusu
May 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
They drain the life right out of your body... that's pretty scary. And they're pretty damned ugly too... :P

Like vampires?

spg_1983
May 2nd, 2004, 05:23 PM
Like vampires?
i dont think they drain your blood more like your bodies energy. i dont think there have been any specifics about how they do so yet

Teal'c
May 2nd, 2004, 05:38 PM
i dont think they drain your blood more like your bodies energy. i dont think there have been any specifics about how they do so yet
Using their hands as a medium, there's something to do with chemicals they release into you at first to start draining... Poisoning the Well should explain it well.

alaskannut
May 3rd, 2004, 03:03 AM
I used to think the Wraith were corny...then tonight I saw the new ad withe Wraith Queen in it......Mary Mother of God, she sound nasty! Just visited the Atlantis website...and since last visit they've posted pics of Wraith mother ships! Not only are they freaky but their ships are too--starting to really look forward tothis show, and not just for Weir and Teyla.

jsw
May 3rd, 2004, 11:53 AM
So far not good. The queen looked stupid. Looks like mystique from the x men

Teal'c
May 3rd, 2004, 02:38 PM
since when was Mystique grey-green with pink hair and weird clothes? :P

Mr Prophet
May 3rd, 2004, 02:44 PM
since when was Mystique grey-green with pink hair and weird clothes? :P

Since forever. I mean, darker grey-green with red hair, but defo with weird clothes. Or alternatively, whenever she feels like it. Comic book Mystique that is, and thanks jsw; I was beating my head against the wall trying to think what that Wraith Queen looked like.

BoBWraith
May 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Personally, I think the Wraith will be a great villain for the Atlantis team for a few reasons. *Spoilers*
First, the team is already cut off from their home and stranded in a new galaxy that they know nothing about. Almost immediately, they encounter a new threat that is far more advanced than the Goa'uld. Secondly, unlike the Goa'uld; the Wraith don't need us for slaves or hosts. We are simply food to them, and that brings a more primal fear into the equation; the fear of being prey. Finally, there's the fact that they wiped out the Ancients, who were the most technologically advanced race ever encountered by Earth.

Combine all this with the fact that they are completely alien, yet still humanoid, in their appearance and I think they'll be a great nemesis for the Atlantis team. I think the hive-mind aspect is really cool too. Not only does it allow you to hate/fear the entire race universally, but it adds to their menace knowing that the entire race is your enemy and can move against you with a single-minded purpose.

I'm really glad the stuff on the show isn't real, cause I'm starting to freak myself out. :eek:

Izanami
May 3rd, 2004, 11:44 PM
hmmm, well, from the looks they're not too impressive yet (it'll be hard to beat Anubis'), but I'll give them a chance and wait till I see them... in... *counts* 2 years or so... *beats slow TV here*

GhostPoet
May 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Here's some screencaps of the Wraith Queen I made from the SciFi commercial: ;)

What happened to the screen caps? =(

Osiris
May 5th, 2004, 04:55 AM
GhostPoet: They're just under my post on page 1?!

Aphrodite
May 5th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Darn some of you people are lucky to see previews....we haven't even been shown the 2nd half of S7 here :( let alone having the chance to see a preview of what the Wraiths look and act like.

But from the pictures I've seen, they look really NASTY and EVIL, that they make the toughest Goua'ld System Lords look like a bunch of sissies!

They're gonna be a tough bunch to beat. I just hope I won't get dissapointed that the new SG team find their weakness/es too early to beat them.

GhostPoet
May 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't have minded CG aliens. Nowdays they can make them look real.

But..after seeing the Wraith queen in action...I can say I have complete faith in the writers. The Wraith are gonna be awesome.

Lugal
May 5th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I think it would be cool if the Wraith were NOT a super highly advanced race who were on a level par with the Ancients. Much better realism (and hope for our chances against them ;)) if they were more of a sly, backstabbing species, who wiped out the ancients by poisoning their wine or something :D

I agree. What would it be like if on Atlantis we can hold our own against the Wraith who defeated the ancients, but meanwhile the SGC is still having trouble against the Goa'uld?

Sela
May 7th, 2004, 06:10 PM
All I have to say is I'm already freaked out by the Marilyn Manson look-alike. Makes me shudder every time I see the trailer. Sounds like him/her/it, too. Might be a bit too freaky for me - we'll see.

prion
May 7th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Yup, when I first saw the picture of the Wraith quene, I said, hey, is Marilyn Manson guest starring??? And I'm willing to bet others will think the same thing as they even got the same hair color! :eek: However, probably can't sing. And from what spoilers indicate, they suck the lifeforce out of you, like, well, gee, the movie LIFE FORCE. The Wraith don't sound very original at all right now.

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I think the way they act will greatly influence my decision on whether I like them or not. After seeing the commercial the first thing I thought of was; banshee.

ShadowMaat
May 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
I think the way they act will greatly influence my decision on whether I like them or not. After seeing the commercial the first thing I thought of was; banshee.

Ringwraiths. ;) Except the ring in question here is the stargate. hehe.

I'm trying to reserve judgement, but the queen, at least, looks like a ripoff of Marilyn Manson, who isn't scary at all (sick, but not really scary). The life force-sucking thing is very been there, done that. I hope TPTB have SOME way of making them truly scary and formidable and PLEASE, by-the-gods ORIGINAL and not another comic book villain like most of the goa'uld have turned out to be.

David85
May 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM
However, probably can't sing.

Just like Marilyn Manson! :D

May 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Yup, when I first saw the picture of the Wraith quene, I said, hey, is Marilyn Manson guest starring??? And I'm willing to bet others will think the same thing as they even got the same hair color! :eek: However, probably can't sing. And from what spoilers indicate, they suck the lifeforce out of you, like, well, gee, the movie LIFE FORCE. The Wraith don't sound very original at all right now.
yeah, talking about co-staring...so no one knows who playes the queen, yet?

Teal'c
May 8th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Why does everyone keep saying Marilyn Manson? She looks more like David Bowie than Manson! :P

prion
May 8th, 2004, 07:49 AM
I think when Atlantis comes out, a poll should be done on who the queen looks more like...

Marilyn Manson
Mystique, etc.

or name your choice of rock star!

as for how they kill.

x
x
x
x
x

reportredly they suck the energy out of you and turn you into a dried husk, which is precisely what they did in LIFE FORCE. LIke I said, unoriginal, but then how many people who will be watching Atlantis were even born when LIFE FORCE came out? Not many, I'll bet. :cool:

Sela
May 8th, 2004, 10:54 AM
x

.....reportredly they suck the energy out of you and turn you into a dried husk, which is precisely what they did in LIFE FORCE. LIke I said, unoriginal, but then how many people who will be watching Atlantis were even born when LIFE FORCE came out? Not many, I'll bet. :cool:

The bigger question is how many of us who were born when LIFE FORCE came out actually saw it and how many of us wish we hadn't? :p

Mr Prophet
May 8th, 2004, 11:05 AM
The bigger question is how many of us who were born when LIFE FORCE came out actually saw it and how many of us wish we hadn't? :p

I don't know either number, but I suspect that the two answers are the same.

The book is more interesting; not better, just more interesting. I think the author might make a fascinating case study for some psychology student working in the field of mysogyny.

ShadowMaat
May 8th, 2004, 02:23 PM
LIke I said, unoriginal, but then how many people who will be watching Atlantis were even born when LIFE FORCE came out? Not many, I'll bet.

Scary, isn't it? I think I've probably seen the movie, but I don't remember any specific details from it. Which is probably a mercy. ;)

Maybe TPTB are just planning an "homage" to Tobe Hooper. :P

prion
May 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM
//Maybe TPTB are just planning an "homage" to Tobe Hooper. //

Aie, I would hope they could do at least one season without ripoffs, uh, homages, to other movies... :S