Enough with the allusions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough with the allusions

Smallville is always keen to allude to the comic book 'verse and future events that the show is leading to. I enjoy watching how Clark will get to his destiny, but I'm finding the cheesy little references annoying because they are too obvious and, frankly, a waste of script space. Especially regarding Lois. Having Clark saying "I couldn't imagine loving someone else" and Lois driving up...gah. I don't suppose they've heard of subtlety? I wouldn't mind having one hint every so often, but there are so many. And latest with 5x12,
    Spoiler:
    mentioning getting changed in a phone box
    . Enough is enough.
    Last edited by HyperCaz; 03 February 2006, 04:08 AM.

Yeah I totally agree, I mean there seems to be at least one every episode that I am aware of, Iknow that in Aqua A.C mentions starting the Junior Lifeguards Association, and clark says "I don't think I am ready for the JLA quite yet" i.e. Justice League of America.
    subtle is the way to go, I just think ther are that many writers for the show that each one wants to put the signature statement in their episodes.

Comment

I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Once in a while is funny (corney, but funny). Last night however was getting a bit rediculous. The worst was the last one... the "Man of Steel" comment by Johnathan on the video tape from when Clark was young. They must have thought that since it was in the background they could sneak just one more in.
      My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

LoL...They made a few references in yestedays episode. I tend to agree with you that its odd that they keep hinting to it.

Comment

Hmmm--sounds like I'm the only one who kind of likes it. Maybe because I like and collect comic books and I don't know many others who do, so when there's a nod to it in the show I appreciate it and it feels a bit like affirmation.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Originally posted by contact2918
            I'm so glad I'm not the only one thinking that. Once in a while is funny (corney, but funny). Last night however was getting a bit rediculous. The worst was the last one... the "Man of Steel" comment by Johnathan on the video tape from when Clark was young. They must have thought that since it was in the background they could sneak just one more in.
            Yes but in that case it was touching because in the original comic books Jonathan Kent was the first one to use the term "Man of Steel" to refer to clark.

Comment

Ditto, that was one of the few refferences I actually liked b/c I didn't feel like they were bashing you over the head with it.

Comment

i generally like the references to the comics or movies...

i was quite amused in last night's ep when Chloe and Vengence bumped into each other...re-enacting an entire scene tween Clark and Lois from the original movie.
                Thanks!
                Jordan

my page
                My LJ
                From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

the bit at the end of 513 was good
                  Spoiler:
                  when chloe asked if he could be a reporter
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                    Yes but in that case it was touching because in the original comic books Jonathan Kent was the first one to use the term "Man of Steel" to refer to clark.
                    That's cool. I never knew that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the allusions are funny... when they are not overused. To me, it felt like the writers were trying to beat us over the head with them in this episode.
                    My Depth Is Immaterial To This Conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by contact2918
                      That's cool. I never knew that.

Don't get me wrong, I think the allusions are funny... when they are not overused. To me, it felt like the writers were trying to beat us over the head with them in this episode.
                      To be honest this is the first episode Ive watched since the second season so I havent been exposed to all the others.

Comment

I do agree that these quotes do get corny, but when Chloe asked Clark if he spun the world backwards on its axis to reset time, I have to confess that I laughed out loud.
                        -Hamy Seven

Col. O'Neill: "Jaffa jokes? Let's hear one of them."

Teal'c: "I shall attempt to translate one O'Neill. A serpent guard, a Horus guard, and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. The serpent guard's eyes glow. The Horus guard's beak glistens. The Setesh guard's...nose drips." [Teal'c bursts into laughter]

3x02 Seth

Comment

I don't remember when all these not-so-subtle allusions started, but I remeber the first one I heard. It came from last year's "Flash" episode when Barry mentions to Clark something about starting a league for "people like them."

I could see the rest of them coming....not a good thing.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                            To be honest this is the first episode Ive watched since the second season so I havent been exposed to all the others.
                            Hallowed are the allusions.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I agree... As it stands, I have watched numerous cartoons with super heroes (Justice League, etc) since I was little...

I pretty much want to say to the TV... "I KNOW!!!!"

Mattathias

Comment

Working...
                              X