This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos 101

Hiya! I've seen a lot of the fan made videos out there now using a song and clips from the show. Pretty awesome, you guys are amazing.

I've a had a few ideas for some myself but have never done anything like that before and was wondering if someone would care to point out to me what software/hardware I need and how to go about it. I have very few eps on tape, but most seasons on DVD, so I'd like to use those to do it.

Thanks so much!
    Sorraia

A video editer, which imo you absolutely need, is virtualdub, and its addons You can cut the scenes you want, and then put them in the order you see fit. Then there are other programs where you fade in and fade out between scenes to make it look more nice or somehow the effect you want, but yah, you can do that with windows movie maker, which i think is a good video encoder to .wmv, which really compresses the video enough to make the file small in size, not the height and width, but the size, haha...
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Gordain Knot works for DVD Ripping:

http://viddersquest.proboards27.com/...num=1083462121

(contains links to where you can download it, and how to use the settings and stuff)

If you wanna follow my adventures with DVD Ripping, and problems i faced and help, and other rippers:

http://viddersquest.proboards27.com/...num=1086008637

and for any other stuff you could look on the SG1 Music Video forum:

http://sg1.angelq.net/vidforum/index.php

you could always use a TV Tuner. that's what i use (except for stuff that has a copyright protection on it. SG-1 DVDs don't seem to have that). I have an ATI All In Wonder 9000 Pro. when i got it for my birthday last year, i think it was about $300 Canadian or something close to that. it's cheaper now, and there are better things out there. the first one i had was an ATI TV Wonder USB Edition. it was about $150 or so Canadian, but it seems as though they don't make them anymore lol.

in starting out i wouldn't just jump in and buy something really expensive.

if you're on Windows for video editing i'd say that you should just start out with Windows Movie Maker (one or two. both free, can download from Windows site if you don't have it).

if you later decide to go and get something more advanced, cool, and with more options, i'd recommend Pinnacle Studio 9. it's what i use (not for SG-1 vids but for LOTR, Gladiator, Underworld, and anything else). other people use other things. Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, a bunch of other stuff. if/when you decide to get something fancier (and maybe pricey) you should look around. don't wanna get something you're not happy with.

hehehe i seem to like saying this stuff alot...

hope this helped ya. anymore help, just ask reply or ask around maybe at some of those links i gave ya. very nice people at those forums. very helpful. not to say there aren't helpful and nice people here because there are....

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
      Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Thanks to both of you! I will look into all of those suggestions.

Sorraia

Comment

Another good page is vcdhelp.com, thats a good site with many tools suggested
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I found the best tool is trial and error. A lot of the software mentioned I have either used or have heard of, and have heard great things about. VirtualDub(Mod) is definitely a necessity, as well as any DVD ripper or TV Tuner (DVD Ripper is preferred since TV shows tend to have watermarks, etc).

For my videos, I have a software page that tells what I use...
            My video page is in my Sig.
            Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Andy,

Great site! Love the vids. Thanks for the info.

Sorraia

Comment

Thanks you guys have been very helpful to me... I am still not sure if I'll figure out how to vid but you have been very helpful
                Music Videos from various fandoms

Comment

If you are running Window XP there is Windows movie maker on there already which I use for making mine, it may not be as fancy as some but its free and with the new downloads for it from the microsoft website it lets you do transition effects between scenes, its pretty cool

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Working...
                  X