This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Chain of Command?

I was thinking that aside from Weir being in charge of the expedition as a whole, and Sheppard being head of the military, there is no clear command structure.

Yes, Beckett is in charge of the medical team. Yes, McKay is in charge of the scientists. But if Weir got sick, or injured and this was a non-crissis time, who would be in charge? Which civilian is the next highest in rank to Weir? McKay?

They haven't said, and I think it would behoove the writers to clear this up.

McKay mentioned in The Long Goodbye to Caldwell
    Spoiler:
    that with Weir out of the equation he's second-in-command but Caldwell countered that it was a military situation which put him in temporary charge
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I'd say it's pretty clear. In non-military situations, the civilians are in charge, in military situations, the military is in charge. And yes, McKay is senior civilian after Weir.
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Actually that would be a really interesting story for an ep. Either Weir injured or sick and McKay having to be in charge of things. The look of panic as everyone realizes that McKay is in command.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
          I'd say it's pretty clear. In non-military situations, the civilians are in charge, in military situations, the military is in charge. And yes, McKay is senior civilian after Weir.

I don't think so Major Tyler (you know I wove you----Bring Back Ford 2006!), but I think Caldwell might take charge. If Weir is ever out of the picture, in a moment of choas McKay cannot take charge, it's all about Caldwell or John. But then that would cause problems for the Daedalus..which I don't like...since I love the Daedalus.

Maybe John should take charge..because when you look at it..he can control the chair. He knows the entire Atlantis like Weir..which was mentioned I believe in the "The Long Goodbye" know one knows Atlantis like Weir and John. Which means he's more qualified than McKay...Plus he has the respect of all the military personnel..which I'm sure McKay does not have, he barely has the scientists respect.

So then that would mean he would probably HAVE to take charge..and that would mean the two teams would be made probably turn into one run by Teyla and other run by Lorne (I really like this guy---but he's no Ford). If Ford was around,I think there would be a third team run by Ford...

That's my estimation...but your right there definitely needs to be some clear chain of command mentioned and applied it doesn't make sense as it is now!

VB
          Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by sporka42
            Actually that would be a really interesting story for an ep. Either Weir injured or sick and McKay having to be in charge of things. The look of panic as everyone realizes that McKay is in command.
            That would be a good show arc..your right..but I think the most natural theory was my above..but I like the show arc of McKay in charge..could you just see Teyla rolling her eyes..and McKay saying, 'Excuse me Missy, watch those eyes!'

VB
            Click statement above to read article.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
              . . .I think Caldwell might take charge. If Weir is ever out of the picture, in a moment of choas McKay cannot take charge, it's all about Caldwell or John. But then that would cause problems for the Daedalus..which I don't like...since I love the Daedalus.
              VB
              It was stated in a previous episode that the Daedalus is only in port every 6 weeks or so. If something happened to Weir in the interim, then either Sheppard or McKay would take over, depending on the situation.

If the Daedalus was in Atlantis, then Caldwell would probably take command in a military situation, as he outranks Sheppard.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by sporka42

The look of panic as McKay realises McKay's in charge is what would get me!

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
                ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Comment

Oh yeah, that would be an expression. McKay would start hyperventilating, thinking of all the ways he could screw up, imagining Wraith attacks, Genii incursions, and everything else. While Sheppard tries to calm him down.

As to the chain of command, I think McKay would be in charge if Weir was incapacitated, because having Sheppard in over-all charge might not sit well with the civilian contingent and there could be problems.
                  "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                  " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                  Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

They're at war, Weir shouldn't even be in charge anymore imo, she's a bad leader anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                      I don't think so Major Tyler (you know I wove you----Bring Back Ford 2006!), but I think Caldwell might take charge. If Weir is ever out of the picture, in a moment of choas McKay cannot take charge, it's all about Caldwell or John. But then that would cause problems for the Daedalus..which I don't like...since I love the Daedalus.

Maybe John should take charge..because when you look at it..he can control the chair. He knows the entire Atlantis like Weir..which was mentioned I believe in the "The Long Goodbye" know one knows Atlantis like Weir and John. Which means he's more qualified than McKay...Plus he has the respect of all the military personnel..which I'm sure McKay does not have, he barely has the scientists respect.....

VB
                      Agreed.

Mckay is turning/developing into a leader and has showed some great potentiol -
                      But in a situation where Weir is incapacitated ( even if it's a non-military one like, Weir is at the SGC...or something) Shep should be the one in charge

Yep, even though Atlantis' population consists of civilised adults, Mckay still would find it hard to gain every1s full respect
                      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

So the order seems to be:

Weir
                        Shep
                        Caldwell (if there's a military conflict)
                        McKay (if there isn't)

Who's next? Beckett? Teyla? Zelenka? In Intruder
                        Spoiler:
                        who was in charge when everyone was on Earth?

Comment

^^Deffinatly not Teyla

Comment

Seemed to me at the end of "Intruder," that Zelenka had been in charge. At least that was the feeling I had.
                            "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                            " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                            Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

^^ Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                              X