This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the wraiths really...? (Spoilers)

I had high expectations of the wraiths being these fierce warriors that even the ancients with all their advanced technology could not stop.

But the wraiths we saw in the premire episode were just seemed lamed. Even bullets could kill the wraiths.

Did these wraiths really defeat the ancients?

Those Wraiths are just a few of many. And it is beleived that these are the same Wraiths that defeated the Ancients.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

They really need to make the wraits more fearsome. They didn't seem scary at all.

And what exactly did the wraiths do that defeated the ancients? Those yellow squid things apparently could destroy wraith ships. I imagine with a few million of those yellow squid things, the ancients could easily squash an entire wraith fleet.

Comment

The Wraith released a deadly virus that killed off most of the Ancients. Those that didn't die, ascended.

Also, the Wraith aren't supposed to be scary per say, but fearsome.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

If you listen to Melia again, she said

"...then one day our people set foot upon a dark world where our terrible enemy slept. Never before we encounter beings with power that rival our own. In our overconfidence we were unprepared and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon the defenseless human worlds like a great scourage until finally only Atlantis remained. This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons, but here we were besieged for many years. In an effort to save the last of our kind, we submerged our great city to the ocean. The Atlantis stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this Galaxy. And those who remain used it to return to the world that was once home. There the last survivors of Atlantis lived out the remainder of their lives. This city was left to slumber, in the hope that our kind will one day return."

Yes the Wraiths defeated the Ancients, only in a sense that they were unprepared and outnumbered. Just like Stargate Atlantis team, it consists of scientists and civilians with minimal military personnels. I still favour the opion that Ancients' technology is still superior than those of the Wraiths. They were able to defend Atlantis for many years, and must have delt a significant damage to the Wraiths or else Atlantis would just be a ruin under the ocean now. There is no hardcore evidence that the plague was created by Wraiths. If it weren't for the plague, it is possible the Ancients would've mount a full scale attack on the Wraith after gathering up their forces from their home galaxy (Milky Way).

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            The Wraith released a deadly virus that killed off most of the Ancients. Those that didn't die, ascended.

Also, the Wraith aren't supposed to be scary per say, but fearsome.
            I don't think so, because Ayianna had the plague and Atlantis clearly left Earth after that point . . . so the Ancients were already dealing with their plague before they even came to Pegasus.

-Nick

Comment

Simple. The ancient colonies, such as the abandoned city in the first world they visit in Rising, had no defenses. The ancients believed that this galaxy was void of life.

However, since Atlantis was the jewel of their empire, they equipt it with a powerful shield, etc, etc....
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Crush
                I don't think so, because Ayianna had the plague and Atlantis clearly left Earth after that point . . . so the Ancients were already dealing with their plague before they even came to Pegasus.

-Nick
                Except Ayiana didn't have the plague for sure. The plague was wiping out EVERY Ancient, hence why they had to ascend or die. Ayiana wasn't being killed or even minorly affected by her disease. It was a disease that the Ancients had built an immunity to but we hadn't.
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

no. George Bush defeated the Ancients.
                  -
                  -
                  -

There is SO much we have not seen of the Wraith. Seriously, the Wraith Dart's manuverability outmatches the Puddle Jumper. ALso realize that it was also due to the superior piloting skills of Sheppard that the Puddle Jumper managed to destroy a few Darts. Otherwise, it would have been destroyed. The Wraith darts have constant, faster laser weapons while the Puddle Jumper seemed to have limited missiles.

Also, the Wraith have mind control. They can read your mind and force you to do things to a limited degree (like force you to kneel).

Comment

Originally posted by Calicto
                    no. George Bush defeated the Ancients.
                    -
                    -
                    -

There is SO much we have not seen of the Wraith. Seriously, the Wraith Dart's manuverability outmatches the Puddle Jumper. ALso realize that it was also due to the superior piloting skills of Sheppard that the Puddle Jumper managed to destroy a few Darts. Otherwise, it would have been destroyed. The Wraith darts have constant, faster laser weapons while the Puddle Jumper seemed to have limited missiles.

Also, the Wraith have mind control. They can read your mind and force you to do things to a limited degree (like force you to kneel).
                    Limitted Missiles?! Those are glowy jellyfish of doom!!!

The jumper took a hit to the back, and all it did was knock out invisibility. One glowy jellfish can destroy a dart...I'd imagine that the ordinance a single jumper has could destroy a wraith mothership.
                    sigpic

Comment

Except Ayiana didn't have the plague for sure. The plague was wiping out EVERY Ancient, hence why they had to ascend or die. Ayiana wasn't being killed or even minorly affected by her disease. It was a disease that the Ancients had built an immunity to but we hadn't.
                      I'm starting to think that "the plague" that supposedly killed off the ancients was just death. In other words, they had cured all their other diseases, and now their only limitation as a race was death. Some learned to ascend and live forever, and the rest died out eventually through natural causes.

The Asgard are doing the exact same thing, trying to stave off death, but they're using clones and transfering their minds into them. The thing is, their cloning technique doesn't work so well, and they've lost the ability to reproduce naturally. Unless they figure out the genetic defect and repair it, they'll eventually die out just like the ancients did.
                      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

As I understand it, the plague itself is a disease. (viral? who knows...) but I believe the wraith were somehow behind it. Whether they made it themselves or forces someone else to make it; one way or another they introduced the plague.

The Ancient tech requires a mental interface. If you have a deadly disease, are you going to be able to operate such tech efficiently? That said, I can see how the wraith beat them. Not more advanced, just sheer numbers and a weakened enemy.
                        We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

This is what I think...

The ancients came to pegasus to except the plague and to restore their empire. They went to countless worlds and seeded them, utnil the stepped on the wrong world. The wraith suprised the Ancients and took over the worlds the ancients settled in. Forcing the Ancients into a corner the ancients felt it best to leave and hopefully one day their kind would return. When the Ancients came back to earth it was possible the same time of the great plague wiping out many of the surviviors. The key to the whole hologram is she said "our kind" Ancients originated on Earth making them Earthlings, the enviromental conditions were that of earth everything was made for Earthlings, so I assume they ment Earthlings would return. Personally I wish we would uncover the ancients story soon its intresting as hell. But anyway thats what i think
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by ToastBusters
                            As I understand it, the plague itself is a disease. (viral? who knows...) but I believe the wraith were somehow behind it. Whether they made it themselves or forces someone else to make it; one way or another they introduced the plague.

The Ancient tech requires a mental interface. If you have a deadly disease, are you going to be able to operate such tech efficiently? That said, I can see how the wraith beat them. Not more advanced, just sheer numbers and a weakened enemy.
                            The disease started in our Galaxy, before the Wraith were met by Ancients. The ancient techs do require a mental interface but that would be hardly effected by physical problems aunless they had a headache and it got them mad. In anycase the disease was started in our galaxy and left in our galaxy. Remember the one women had the plague but did not feel the effects until after she heald everyone, becuase the disease was dorment in her system. Anywya in the opening of Atlantis she was left behind, possible suggesting that all those with disease were left behind. Those ones died, the ones that went to Pegasus and then returned were once again faced by the same plague (could of been black plague) and either ascended died out or carried on their seed(aka all the oens with the gene are part ancient)
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                              The disease started in our Galaxy, before the Wraith were met by Ancients. The ancient techs do require a mental interface but that would be hardly effected by physical problems aunless they had a headache and it got them mad. In anycase the disease was started in our galaxy and left in our galaxy. Remember the one women had the plague but did not feel the effects until after she heald everyone, becuase the disease was dorment in her system. Anywya in the opening of Atlantis she was left behind, possible suggesting that all those with disease were left behind. Those ones died, the ones that went to Pegasus and then returned were once again faced by the same plague (could of been black plague) and either ascended died out or carried on their seed(aka all the oens with the gene are part ancient)
                              Ayiana didn't for sure have the plague. She was fatigued from healing people, not being affected by the plague. The same thing happened to Jack as he healed Bra'tac. Ayiana wasn't being affected by the disease period. The Ancients had healing cubes which were more powerful than their own natural healing abilities, and didn't fatigue the healer. If the disease was that easily healed by an Ancient without tech, they wouldn't have been wiped out by it. The disease was similar to what happened when Europeans came to America. Unfamiliar diseases to which the natives didn't have immunity swept through and wrecked havoc on the population. Humans just couldn't stand up to the Ancient mild cold.

The plague was sweeping through the entirety of the Ancient race. The Atlanteans weren't affected by the plague, and the dark enemy (Wraith or otherwise) didn't use the plague to defeat the Ancients in the Pegasus galaxy. The Ancients were defeated in Pegasus by equal tech and superior numbers.
                              Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Working...
                              X