Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we stuck with young Doctors from now on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we stuck with young Doctors from now on?

I raised this point with a friend of mine earlier today.

Whilst DT and CE are very different doctors, they are both largely similar in that they are young and very energetic and easily excitable. They also have a sibling/best friend relationship with their companion...

I have no problem with this what so ever, and I'm looking forward to DT's main performance.

However...

With the relaunch of this show, and the fact its trying to attract a younger audiance (just compare the new novels to the 8th doctor ones for verification on this) are we going to be having a young and energeticic "matey" doctor from now on?

During the classic series, there were many doctors who took on a more light hearted and sibling esque role, Patrick Troughton arguably (though not so much), Tom Baker and possibly Peter Davison, though Im not too familiar with him. There were also doctors that were more paternal, resembling an uncle or God-father. These had a very different dynamic on screen and were much more of an authority figure.

Do you think it's possible the Who series might return to having an authority figure as a doctor? Another middle aged, yet fantastic actor? Anyone from Richard E Grant to Bill Nighy (who were both considered for 10th doctor, for those who don't know, Nighy played the Stepdad in "Shaun of the Dead" and the aging rockstar in "love actually").
    Last edited by Flyboy; 30 January 2006, 11:07 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Wow Bill Nighy as the Doctor !!! hes such a fantastic actor he rules. He even played Slartibartfast in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so if he was the next DOctor that would rock too.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Aren't the two now older then Peter Davidisons?
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I don't know if they're older than Davidson, but the point is, young doctors are ok, as long as that's not all. I'd like to see the patriarchal type of Doctor return with no.11.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It's true we haven't seen any older paternal Doctors in a while. I would personally like the variety. It adds more to the show and more to the various characters of the Doctor without being repetative. I'm still looking forward to Tennant, but I hope we may see a very different Doctor for the 11th (hopefully a long time coming). After all, the show did start out successfully with a very old and sometimes crotchety man by William Hartnell. He certainly had a great personality and presence on the screen.
          "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

I think we're stuck with young Doctors, at least for now. Once the base builds up enough (although this is Who, you should think the base would already be huge), they might try experimenting with more mature, paternal-type Docs, but I think that'll be a ways down the road.

*waits for this to come back to haunt her*

Comment

Well, DT IS a huge fan, so I reckon we can get 3/4 series outta him. By that time maybe the new fandom will be ready for a paternal doctor.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

LEtshope we get an older more hartnellish doctor next now that would be great !!

Comment

I'm not sure... I'd prefer a more Pertwee type Doctor.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I don't try to pretend that I'm not new to the whole Doctor Who scene, because I am... but personally as long as the character is someone who is interesting to watch and has depth then I would be happy. I like DT at the moment because he seems to make it more lighthearted, but I also liked CE when he portrayed a more serious character, so I don't think it would bother me too much if they went for someone older, as long as they were interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by iluuuuuvjack
                      I don't try to pretend that I'm not new to the whole Doctor Who scene, because I am... but personally as long as the character is someone who is interesting to watch and has depth then I would be happy. I like DT at the moment because he seems to make it more lighthearted, but I also liked CE when he portrayed a more serious character, so I don't think it would bother me too much if they went for someone older, as long as they were interesting to watch.
                      I agree. Taking the words right out of my brain.

Comment

Peter Davidson was indeed younger than the new Doctor, Davidson was 30 (I think) when he became Dr Who

Comment

So I don't really see us getting that young of doctors.
                          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I think the next doctor will not be too young and at the same time not too old also. Age range 30-50.

Comment

If they want to connect with the younger viewers, I think they'll keep him young.

It makes sense in two ways:
                              1.) What's the point of regenerating if you start out over the hill (like me)?

Okay, that wasn't such a great point, but it still has some validity within the logic of the Doctor Who universe. You'd think a new body would look somewhat...newish.

2.) In the event the actor decides to stay on and gets popular, he has the potential to keep running down those corridors for many years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X