PDA

View Full Version : Are we stuck with young Doctors from now on?

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I raised this point with a friend of mine earlier today.

Whilst DT and CE are very different doctors, they are both largely similar in that they are young and very energetic and easily excitable. They also have a sibling/best friend relationship with their companion...

I have no problem with this what so ever, and I'm looking forward to DT's main performance.

However...

With the relaunch of this show, and the fact its trying to attract a younger audiance (just compare the new novels to the 8th doctor ones for verification on this) are we going to be having a young and energeticic "matey" doctor from now on?

During the classic series, there were many doctors who took on a more light hearted and sibling esque role, Patrick Troughton arguably (though not so much), Tom Baker and possibly Peter Davison, though Im not too familiar with him. There were also doctors that were more paternal, resembling an uncle or God-father. These had a very different dynamic on screen and were much more of an authority figure.

Do you think it's possible the Who series might return to having an authority figure as a doctor? Another middle aged, yet fantastic actor? Anyone from Richard E Grant to Bill Nighy (who were both considered for 10th doctor, for those who don't know, Nighy played the Stepdad in "Shaun of the Dead" and the aging rockstar in "love actually").

Metarock Sam
January 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Wow Bill Nighy as the Doctor !!! hes such a fantastic actor he rules. He even played Slartibartfast in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so if he was the next DOctor that would rock too.

creed462
January 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Aren't the two now older then Peter Davidisons?

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know if they're older than Davidson, but the point is, young doctors are ok, as long as that's not all. I'd like to see the patriarchal type of Doctor return with no.11.

Rowana
January 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
It's true we haven't seen any older paternal Doctors in a while. I would personally like the variety. It adds more to the show and more to the various characters of the Doctor without being repetative. I'm still looking forward to Tennant, but I hope we may see a very different Doctor for the 11th (hopefully a long time coming). After all, the show did start out successfully with a very old and sometimes crotchety man by William Hartnell. :) He certainly had a great personality and presence on the screen.

ShadowMaat
January 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think we're stuck with young Doctors, at least for now. Once the base builds up enough (although this is Who, you should think the base would already be huge), they might try experimenting with more mature, paternal-type Docs, but I think that'll be a ways down the road.

*waits for this to come back to haunt her* ;)

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Well, DT IS a huge fan, so I reckon we can get 3/4 series outta him. By that time maybe the new fandom will be ready for a paternal doctor.

Metarock Sam
January 30th, 2006, 01:02 PM
LEtshope we get an older more hartnellish doctor next now that would be great !!

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure... I'd prefer a more Pertwee type Doctor.

iluuuuuvjack
January 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I don't try to pretend that I'm not new to the whole Doctor Who scene, because I am... but personally as long as the character is someone who is interesting to watch and has depth then I would be happy. I like DT at the moment because he seems to make it more lighthearted, but I also liked CE when he portrayed a more serious character, so I don't think it would bother me too much if they went for someone older, as long as they were interesting to watch.

Metarock Sam
January 30th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I don't try to pretend that I'm not new to the whole Doctor Who scene, because I am... but personally as long as the character is someone who is interesting to watch and has depth then I would be happy. I like DT at the moment because he seems to make it more lighthearted, but I also liked CE when he portrayed a more serious character, so I don't think it would bother me too much if they went for someone older, as long as they were interesting to watch.
I agree. Taking the words right out of my brain.

Reefgirl
January 30th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Peter Davidson was indeed younger than the new Doctor, Davidson was 30 (I think) when he became Dr Who

creed462
January 30th, 2006, 02:53 PM
So I don't really see us getting that young of doctors.

Metarock Sam
January 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
I think the next doctor will not be too young and at the same time not too old also. Age range 30-50.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
January 31st, 2006, 12:54 PM
If they want to connect with the younger viewers, I think they'll keep him young.

It makes sense in two ways:
1.) What's the point of regenerating if you start out over the hill (like me)?

Okay, that wasn't such a great point, but it still has some validity within the logic of the Doctor Who universe. You'd think a new body would look somewhat...newish.

2.) In the event the actor decides to stay on and gets popular, he has the potential to keep running down those corridors for many years to come.

Metarock Sam
January 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM
Basically its one of those 'we'll see what the future brings' awnsers.

Easter Lily
January 31st, 2006, 01:52 PM
Logically speaking I've always thought the Doctors should get younger... I mean if he's supposed to be "regenerating"... wouldn't the idea be to start from a younger state of being? From Hartnell to Davison that notion was certainly there unless of course that was purely coincidental. ;) It was true of the Master.
It's not a big leap for me either way... as long the actor's decent.

creed462
January 31st, 2006, 03:49 PM
Logically speaking I've always thought the Doctors should get younger... I mean if he's supposed to be "regenerating"... wouldn't the idea be to start from a younger state of being? From Hartnell to Davison that notion was certainly there unless of course that was purely coincidental. ;) It was true of the Master.
It's not a big leap for me either way... as long the actor's decent.
agreed

Madeleine
February 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
I think the way to keep the 'young' crowd interested is probably to ensure that at least one of the regulars is young; but that needn't be the Doctor. I hope they don't rule out oldies next time the main part's up for grabs.

Willow'sCat
February 1st, 2006, 08:22 PM
Do you think it's possible the Who series might return to having an authority figure as a doctor? Another middle aged, yet fantastic actor? Anyone from Richard E Grant to Bill Nighy (who were both considered for 10th doctor, for those who don't know, Nighy played the Stepdad in "Shaun of the Dead" and the aging rockstar in "love actually").Bill Nighy is just flavour of the month, I am not that interested in thinking of him as a likely doctor just because he finally has some publicity working for him, just like I don't have any time for Richard E Grant as the doctor.

Anyway I am all set to lobby for David Hewlett when the time comes. :D :D Oh yeah! :D (lots of planets have a Canada!!) :D

I don't think we need assume because the body is old the mind is, that to me smacks of ageism, and I see nothing in canon to say the doctor needs to be getting younger, just look at the actors ages that have played him. :cool:

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
It not a bad deal to have younger doctor, They might be up for a long run

Flyboy
February 2nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
No, not bad. Hence not complaing about CE or DT, but the paternal type of doctor such as Pertwee is missed. At least by me.

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
True but they can bring that quaility out as he gets older

Easter Lily
February 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
No, not bad. Hence not complaing about CE or DT, but the paternal type of doctor such as Pertwee is missed. At least by me.
Pertwee is still my favourite so the age of the doctor is not an issue with me. As long as the actor cares about the role and sticks at it for more than one season, I'm happy.

creed462
February 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Pertwee is still my favourite so the age of the doctor is not an issue with me. As long as the actor cares about the role and sticks at it for more than one season, I'm happy.
That is what I think as well!:)

Willow'sCat
February 12th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Pertwee is still my favourite so the age of the doctor is not an issue with me. As long as the actor cares about the role and sticks at it for more than one season, I'm happy.Caring about the role is the most important thing, and even though I think Chris cared, he still left. :cool:

Metarock Sam
February 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Chris did care about his role. He left because of a breach in contract.

Flyboy
February 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Chris did care about his role. He left because of a breach in contract.
Breach in contract?

Metarock Sam
February 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It was all due to the fact that someone told 'The Sun' that Chris was leaving but it hadnt been decided if he was leaving and because it was a bbc official it broke the contract they had with Chris.

Willow'sCat
February 13th, 2006, 12:17 AM
It was all due to the fact that someone told 'The Sun' that Chris was leaving but it hadnt been decided if he was leaving and because it was a bbc official it broke the contract they had with Chris.I don't know about that, I think that is rumour not fact. :cool:

I know the BBC announced it before Chris had made up his mind, but he could have got them to retract the statement, it isn't the first time a TV station has had to retract statements.

I think Chris left because he wanted to leave after one series. Sorry I just don't see an actor walking away from a 9 million+ viewing audience because the BBC screwed up, type casting I can believe, particularly in the case of Dr Who.

Metarock Sam
February 13th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Well I refuse to believe you.......

creed462
February 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM
What doctor ended up typed casted?

February 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
What doctor ended up typed casted?Tom Baker.

Typecasting is a big fear amongst actors and is the main reason why many actors decided to leave the show.

creed462
February 13th, 2006, 02:56 PM
That's hard to say I've seen some of his other roles

The Silver Chair
Mutator(Sp)

February 13th, 2006, 05:55 PM
That's hard to say I've seen some of his other roles

The Silver Chair
Mutator(Sp)When were they made?
The Mutator was released in 1974, so that doesn't count since he either just received the role as the Doctor or he appeared prior to receiving the role of the Doctor.

The Silver Chair was released in 1990.

Let's check how he did in five years intervals:
8 television appearances between 1981 and 1986
1.6 TV appearances per year is not a good number for someone who had asperations for a movie career.

3 television appearances; 1 direct-to-video between 1986 and 1991
It got worse.

3 video games; 1 movie; 7 television appearances; 3 TV voice acting between 1991 and 2003
Finally, he found a niche with cartoon and video game voice acting.
He even got some face time.
He's clearly recovered from the typecast at this point.

1 video game; 1 cast member role; 1 movie voice acting in 2004
Now he has a regular cast role in Monarch of the Glen.

Okay, obviously I haven't taken into account any theatre, but his asperation was film and he himself admitted after Doctor Who he had trouble getting work as he had been typecast.

Metarock Sam
February 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
You forgot Little Britain. Classic show!!!!!

creed462
February 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ocho I didn't know all that

Metarock Sam
February 14th, 2006, 11:37 PM
He is also the voice for bt here which means that if you text to someones phone whose on BT it is read out by a machine however this time instead of the boring monotonal women's voice we have Tom Baker's voice.

creed462
February 15th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Well for a little while then I sit corrected

Easter Lily
February 15th, 2006, 02:20 PM
It was all due to the fact that someone told 'The Sun' that Chris was leaving but it hadnt been decided if he was leaving and because it was a bbc official it broke the contract they had with Chris.
Well... I heard at a recent Stargate con that Chris never intended to go beyond one season... So if the show failed, it would be blamed on the fact that the franchise was not accessible to a new generation. If it succeeded then he would be the man who revived the franchise.

But personally, I think Chris prefers making films and doing theatre work.

Metarock Sam
February 16th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Still I bet you now hed do a multiple Doctors Story.

creed462
February 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I would hope

4thDoctor
January 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
I hope not, I'd much rather see an older actor in the role of the Doctor.

The Flyattractor
January 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Yes. We are 'stuck with young time doctors from now on" because the Doctor is now a Sex Symbol and a him bemg a white haired old fossil won't sell any more.
The 20th century is over.
Welcome to the 21st.

cosmichobo
January 4th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I've had near 100,000 people look at my YouTube video in which I propose a 55yo to play the next Doctor...

and I can tell you, it's met with fierce opposition due to his age... many people suggesting he'll need an oxygen tank in order to keep up with all the running around... or just outright insulting him due to his age and non-sex-symbol appearance.

BUT, the initial tide has turned somewhat, to now around about 45% in favour...

My fiancee says... what about

http://www.leninimports.com/sean_connery_b_2_big.jpg
Sean Connery - 81

http://www.un.org/sg/mop/images/clooney3.jpg
George Clooney - 51

Even Johnny Depp is nearly 50...

Ok, Mr Bond probably couldn't do Doctor Who now... but the other 2 50-odd year olds certainly could. And could maintain sex appeal.

Blencathra
January 4th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Neither Clooney or Depp are British. The actor playing the Doctor is always British.

cosmichobo
January 4th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Neither Clooney or Depp are British. The actor playing the Doctor is always British.

So you would say no to probably the world's best character actor (Depp) playing the role?

Blencathra
January 4th, 2012, 05:02 AM
So you would say no to probably the world's best character actor (Depp) playing the role?

In a word. Yes.

DigiFluid
January 4th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Absolutely. Don't let him (or any other non-Brit) near the role.

4thDoctor
January 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Why? The Doctor is from Gallifrey not England.

The Flyattractor
January 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Why? The Doctor is from Gallifrey not England.

The Gallifreian Actors Union is too expensive for the BBC to afford so we must make do with British ones.

4thDoctor
January 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Funny, I saw a thread somewhere in which only British actors were being considered, but someone had added James Marsters' name to the list and he got several votes, I guess that they didn't realize that he's an American.

Morgania
January 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure who I want it to be, just somebody older than Matt Smith.

gateraid
January 5th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I'm not sure who I want it to be, just somebody older than Matt Smith.

While I also would prefer that, it depends a lot on who he is cast with. Even though it shouldn't really made a difference, DT's Doctor seemed older when paired with Donna and Martha, and more youthful with Rose. Part of that would have been the storylines within each season, so it's not like it's a scientific comparison. Especially since it's only IMO :p

4thDoctor
January 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I agree with what Caroline John (Liz Shaw) says in the commentary for 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' The Doctor should never have been shown as lonely or pining, but rather a distant Lord, who is above such things as Human emotions or sexual desires.

The Flyattractor
January 5th, 2012, 08:39 PM
That is kind of something I hated about Eccelstons and Tennents Doctors.
How they were always whining and moaning about being the last time lord,and HOW LONELY They were!

I mean am I the only one that remembered that the Doctor really didn't like his own people that much? And that was one of the main character traits of his character(s) that HE didn' want' to be on Gallifrey?
I mean don't get me wrong, I am not emplying that he is glad that they are dead but some of the butt ache that was shown for the TL" just seemed very out of place to me.

gateraid
January 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I agree with what Caroline John (Liz Shaw) says in the commentary for 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' The Doctor should never have been shown as lonely or pining, but rather a distant Lord, who is above such things as Human emotions or sexual desires.

I'm not really that familiar with the earlier Doctor Who (I've seen fragments, but not sat down and watched the complete series) so take anything I say on the subject with a grain of salt :p Of the latest incartion, the companion I most appreciated was Donna. Not just because I liked Donna herself, but because of how the Doctor acted around her. He seemed more mature and relaxed (note NOT old), which seemed more natural for someone over 900 years old. The focus on ship in the recent series (reciprocated or otherwise) was frankly quite annoying. When you throw in how he seems to view the human race as a whole - almost child-like, in need of protection - it felt a little odd to me that he would want to become involved romantically with a human.

That is kind of something I hated about Eccelstons and Tennents Doctors.
How they were always whining and moaning about being the last time lord,and HOW LONELY They were!

I mean am I the only one that remembered that the Doctor really didn't like his own people that much? And that was one of the main character traits of his character(s) that HE didn' want' to be on Gallifrey?
I mean don't get me wrong, I am not emplying that he is glad that they are dead but some of the butt ache that was shown for the TL" just seemed very out of place to me.

This would probably grate me if I'd watched more of the earlier series. As it appeared to me, it came across as him not being particularly proud of the Time Lord race, but distraught at their loss. Everyone tends to remember the best of people after they've passed, the Doctor was no different in that respect. For me, it was necessary to reinforce the fact that he was the last of his people, and somewhat altered after a fourty (?) year war

gateraid
January 5th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Well... I heard at a recent Stargate con that Chris never intended to go beyond one season... So if the show failed, it would be blamed on the fact that the franchise was not accessible to a new generation. If it succeeded then he would be the man who revived the franchise.

But personally, I think Chris prefers making films and doing theatre work.

I know the moment for this has well passed, but these comments amuse me. We all assume (based upon what we've heard from various sources) that we know the truth. I was glancing through a ST board the other day (I'm not a member, and haven't been on there in years) and with respect to actor's departures, we really have no idea, even if it comes from a so-called official source.

Denise Crosby left because:

i) she wanted to pursue a movie career
ii) she didn't like the fans
iii) she was worried she'd get typecast
iv) she wanted to do theatre work

Gates McFadden left because:

i) she was being sexually harrassed by one of the producers
ii) Gene didn't like the character
iii) she wanted to pursue theatre work
iv) she was pregnant - related to this, she managed to be pregnant at various points throughout the series, resulting in an almost five year gestation period

And even in relation to SG, some of the statements over the years have managed to contradict themselves, even from TPTB (accidental or otherwise). We don't really know anything :p

4thDoctor
January 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I've just dipped into the future, we must be prepared for the worst.
The 12th Doctor
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/12th.jpg

The Flyattractor
January 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've just dipped into the future, we must be prepared for the worst.
The 12th Doctor
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/Connell1967/12th.jpg

*drops to knees and prays for the Valeyard to make this NOT HAPPEN!*

Morgania
January 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know who that is. Will somebody please enlighten me?

gateraid
January 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know who that is. Will somebody please enlighten me?

Neither do I :o But in the background, it says USS Enya :eek:

cosmichobo
January 11th, 2012, 07:34 PM
His name is Shaun Micallef (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Micallef), and he's one of Austalia's most prolific (semi-failed) tv comedians...

He currently hosts "Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation" on Network Ten, which pits the Baby Boomers, Gen X and Gen Y against each other in a series of quizzes and challenges...

They often have themed episodes, which lead to Micallef in the pictured outfit, indeed posing as the Doctor.

(Australia was traditionally Doctor Who's second place of screening worldwide, and is still very popular here... mostly.

4thDoctor
January 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Glad you cleared that up, I didn't even know who it was.